Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream
What is a good beginner bike that would support some medium distance touring? Ideally I'd like a bike that could allow me to ride 300-500 miles in relative comfort while taking enough gear with me to camp for a couple days. I've looked into the Ninja 250 but it looks like the luggage options for it are spending $1000+ or building my own frame. Or maybe the 10 year old wiki page isn't correct!

My budget is ~$5000 for gear and bike and luggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

how do i get a bike from the current owner to my house? i can't get insurance until i have the bike, right? plus i don't know that i'd trust myself on the street to ride it home. do i have to rent a truck?

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just jumped right off without checking the depth, didn't you?

All you need to insure a bike is a VIN, they don't care if it's in your garage or in a junkyard. Buy insurance before you transport it. Doesn't have to be titled to you, because you need insurance to register it anyway, and that's usually when you swap the title over to you.

Go rent a UHaul trailer, it'll be easier than a truck. Or a UHaul van and ramp if you don't have a hitch on your car. If you've never even rolled a bike around, you'll want a lower deck height than a pickup will give you the first time you load it and especially the first time you unload it.

Or offer the seller a bit extra to deliver it.

i have not bought a bike yet and i finished the msf course today so i have at least some experience rolling a bike around. i've just never owned a vehicle so i am not familiar with the way buying insurance works.

thanks for the advice, though.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

captainOrbital posted:

If you know someone with a minivan/pick-em-up truck, they may be able to help you. I have brought 2 bikes home in my Odyssey.

Where do you live? There may be a friendly goon that will be willing to help you in exchange for a ride on a different bike.

i live in nashville. if someone wants to help transport it/make sure it's mechanically sound that'd be rad, but otherwise i'll rent a cargo van from uhaul and make the best of it. there's a shop near my house i can have look it over, shouldn't be a big deal i don't think.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

i'm going to look at a ninja 250 tomorrow. i've read through the wiki and adam glass's guide. it's a lot of stuff so i hope i don't miss something painful. make sure all the controls work, check the fluids, tires, brakes, tank, forks, and make sure it shifts properly. anything else big i need to make sure i hit?

otherwise, wish me luck.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

well, i now own a ninja 250. thanks for all y'all's help. i promise to come back in two months with exciting stories about crashing it into something and asking for advice about buying an r6.

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

what is a good unbreakable newbie bike? i had a ninja 250 that was totalled when i fell down at a stop sign (the worst possible outcome, i didn't even get a good story out of it) and i'd love to not have to buy another bike when i gently caress up again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it was insurance totalled but it wouldn't turn on and there was something wrong with the shifter/maybe transmission so it may have been properly broken. i was in the hospital for unrelated stuff at the time and got a check for more than i paid for the bike so i didn't ask too many questions.