Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
Not being a dick, but can you guys really ride a sport bike for that far? I sat on a couple and they seem insanely uncomfortable next to my retiree old man cruiser. I mean, the sport touring bikes feel great but purely sport bikes I could see being very uncomfortable for touring.

e: Basically, are sport bike seats just something to get used to or do people upgrade them typically?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

A Ninja 250 doesn't have sport-bike ergonomics. It's a sport-standard with a mostly-upright riding position and just the right amount of forwards lean for general use. (When you're moving, the wind blast tends to push you backwards, so you want a bit of forwards lean to counteract that). You can check out all the different bikes on Cycle-Ergo and you'll see that most of the standards we recommend have very similar riding positions to the Ninjette.

-Inu- posted:

Completely depends on the person and type of riding. If you have a bad back and/or knees, or are tall, you might not be comfortable on a bike with any sort of forward lean. Or, maybe you won't mind. Friend of mine is tall and lanky and has destroyed knees from years of wakeboarding - he has had multiple surgeries and essentially has zero cartilage left - but he has no problem riding an R6. How in-shape you are can be a factor as well. Riding uses all sorts of weird muscles, and it's easier to fatigue if your body isn't used to extended physical exertion. There's a reason that racers do extensive mountain biking/road cycling/running/etc during off season.

As an example of type of riding: Angryboot said a few posts up that he didn't mind 180 miles freeway on a ZX6. For me, that would absolutely murder me. My body can't handle sitting in a stationary position on a sportbike for that long. On the other hand, I've done 500 mile days on my R6 without issue, because they were almost all mountain miles and I was constantly moving on the bike.

Would I recommend a sportbike for long-distance touring? gently caress no. Would I recommend a standard/upright bike like a Ninja250/300/SV650? Sure.

Consider me educated, thanks y'all :shobon: