Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

After putting on about 750 miles on my '17 SV650 I'm still clearly seeing the outermost stripes on the right sides of both the front and rear tires (whereas the ones on the opposite side were gone before I noticed).

Some quick research indicates that this is normal and a result of the shape of the road itself in addition to the tendency for riders to play it safer when cornering right as opposed to left due to less visibility (which I totally do - especially early in the season when there's still sand, debris, and potholes all over).

So, is this considered unavoidable for typical commuting and street riding and just something to be expected or is there anything I should be doing in particular when riding to prevent the asymmetrical wear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Buhbuhj posted:

You are always going to have some strips on the front no matter what you do. If you tend to push harder in one direction over the other then you are gonna have assymetrical wear, it's nothing to worry about.

Sweet, thanks!

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

-Inu- posted:

Even so, it's basically impossible to *completely* wear a tire to the edge, because at speed the tires deform and fold in slightly, keeping part of the tire from touching the road surface. Of course, it depends on the construction/profile of the tire and the rider, but it's pretty rare to see a front tire worn all the way to the edge. My bike got stolen (rip) so I can't take a picture of what the front looked like, but with the profile on these Dunlops, even my rear had an "unused" portion:

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Nice work there.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Frazzbo posted:

Here's a tip, not only for newbies, but us more seasoned riders as well: wheen you do finally outgrow your old lid, or you dinged it, don't just chuck it away: donate it to your local ambulance/first aid training station, where they can use it for teaching how to remove a helmet safely in the event of an accident.

Of course it differs all over depending on location but my recollection is that if the trauma patient is being immobilized the helmet usually stays on during pre-hospital treatment so long as it isnt obstructing an airway and is still fitted properly, though if there's anything that would prevent access such as a faceshield/protector/strap that will be removed.

Good on ya though, I don't think it would hurt to call a local company/service to see if they have any need for them :tipshat:

Last weekend, I discovered the wonder that is wearing ear plugs while riding now that I have a new bike that is more capable on the highway and also gets loud once warmed over proper (Arrow slip-on sans db killer). The benefits also go well beyond the hearing protection and noise reduction, you are able to focus so much better on the ride when you have all that white noise cut out. I've just been using generic disposable foam plugs that I grabbed a handful of to try but am now looking for a permanent to set wear at all times that would even more effective, any recommendations would be welcome.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

pokie posted:

http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-motorcycle-4rt.html

I have these. They are expensive, and not that different from foam ones on a quiet bike. On my sumo though they make a significant difference. Also easier and faster to take in and out.

Thank you! I ended up ordering the first set posted that was on Amazon as it was eligible for Prime shipping but I'm definitely gonna bookmark those as well in case I end up not likely what I got or just want a spare pair to have handy. I'm sure both are far better than the basic pink and green foam ones of course, which obviously help but are certainly far from ideal as I did about 5 hours worth of riding immediately after leaving work last night and noticed a bit of ringing in my ears when I finally called it a night and got home. Plus, I'm guessing constantly jamming cheap pieces of foam into your ear canals isn't really something you want to be doing all the time when you don't have to be (though obviously far better than nothing at all).

Regarding the slight tinnitus after last night it did begin to cross my mind that perhaps my bike is a bit too loud once it's nice and warmed over ('17 SV650 with an Arrow competition grade silencer sans DB-killer on the stock piping with catalyst), but I'm pretty sure the primary cause of that is the fact that I've been doing a lot more highway riding and dual sport style helmets certainly aren't exactly designed with peace and quiet in mind. I've asked others including my septuagenarian dad (who is not exactly a fan of loud bikes to begin with, especially stereotypical obnoxiously loud Harleys/cruisers) if he believes it's too loud for everyday riding in public and he says it's perfectly fine and sounds amazing - and also much better with the baffle removed.

I guess we'll see what they have to say at the inspection station tomorrow, thankfully the person who will likely be taking care of that for me is an old friend of my brother so I really don't expect any ball-busting though I seem to recall something about MA state law regarding motorcycle exhausts becoming kind of draconian in recent years so perhaps I'll bring along a nice little incentive in my pocket if additional leverage is required. :420:

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

theKGEntleman posted:

After researching a ton I'll be attending a MSF course this weekend and taking my written DMV exam on Monday. I kept reading that I should buy a starter bike over and over and over and over. I told myself screw it, I was going to buy new and hop straight on a 2017 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin. But, after I read through this thread I've reconsidered... Bummer.

So, I'm looking at the Kawasaki Ninja 250. I've posted a few links below as well if anyone has thoughts about it. I hope to get either out the door at $2500.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/6132452644.html
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcd/6125932688.html

My wife and I relocated to San Diego last year and I don't really have a large group of friends here, much less anyone who rides. So, I'm looking for some help, or if anyone in the Southern California area wants to take me under their wing, that's be awesome too.

Full disclosure:

I am that rear end in a top hat who still hasn't gotten a license after 3 years/10k miles worth of riding around with a recently renewed learner's permit...though my intention was to hold off on taking the road test until I got my second bike but unfortunately haven't had any available PTO to use for a day off to take a road test, however I will as of late next week, so the time has come - no more excuses it's time to quit screwing around and get on that poo poo for real.

Feel free to shame me, it will probably be beneficial and I'd rather get humiliated on the internet than inevitably busted for riding around freely in the middle of the night on a learner's permit and earn myself a moving violation with points or better yet a court summons and my bike impounded.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Jazzzzz posted:

My MSF course was at least half middle-aged blue collar dudes who rolled in on Harleys who said poo poo like "jap crap" and "they ought to teach this class on 'MURICAN bikes", I poo poo you not. The kind of guys who were convinced wearing a helmet would just break your neck if you got into an accident, using the front brake would throw you over the handlebars, etc.

They'd all been renewing their learner's permits for at least 3 years because they couldn't pass the practical exam. By the end of the second day of riding they had all obviously learned something, and they all passed the test. The instructors gave the one who'd been riding the longest - he also happened to be the one that bitched the loudest about our Nighthawks not being Harleys - a pretty good ribbing after everyone in the class scored better than him, including the 18-year old Asian lady that'd never been on a bike who got the class's only perfect score.

Yet another excellent reason to be wearing ear plugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Dissent:

Get a Honda XL250 dual-sport.

also, those Amazon earplugs work great though I wasn't expecting to be shoving pieces of Play-Doh in my ears. I think I'll order another set and then try one of the others posted as I'm sure they will get gross or dropped on the ground in due time.

Impkins Patootie fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 12, 2017