Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Here in the land of the free if I get so much as a splinter on someone's property I can sue every generation of their family, but if they call the police the cops will show up and kill us both.

This is what is known as the American Standoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stock exhaust only on supermotos so you can creep around mostly unnoticed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You need a different set of muscles for riding than other activities. It’s much more about legs, core and arms. You’ll get used to it

Also make sure you aren’t death gripping the bars and your body isn’t locked up solid. New riders tend to be really tense and rigid. That’s exhausting, stay loose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Invalido posted:

I think my posture isn't too bad. The only bodily aches I noticed today was the throttle hand which was obviously gripping too hard, the body felt loose otherwise. What makes me tired is mental. It's like the concentration and general sensory overload makes me sleepy and empty-headed afterwards. I made a few sloppy mistakes towards the end of today's session too, nothing dangerous but mistakes nonetheless.

Ok, I didn’t realize you meant mentally. Keep hydrated, fuel up your body before you ride.

As a newer rider you are also working a lot harder to actually ride than someone who has been on a bike for a while because it’s new to you and you’re analyzing absolutely everything. Eventually you get used to the sensory overload and it stops overloading you.

That will get better with time. For now just stop and take breaks before you burn out. A quick 10 minute rest and a water/coffee/soda/whatever can do wonders.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Group rides are a recipe for disaster generally.

Unless you’re riding with a close friend and you two are on the same wavelength you may as well be riding with a drunk stranger in my experience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Since the dealership won’t ship the bike at least make them help you push it up the ramps.

Rent a truck round trip. As mentioned, one way is more expensive.

Just shop around online for the best truck rental price with a low ingress box and a set of rental ramps (some come with them)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You meet the nicest people in a Tacoma

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I find that when I ride behind someone more experienced than me it helps my brain to go “oh, I CAN get through that corner at that speed”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

They are but you have to be very careful not to become a gun weirdo and start fetishizing them and making up fake reasons in your head for why you need one always

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verman posted:

Tinnitus is one of those things I didn't realize I even had until I learned what it was much later. I've just always had some ringing in my ears, especially when it's dead quiet. I really should have taken better care of my ears as a youth but like a lot of things we think we're invincible. Years of guitar/drums/loud music really took their toll but thankfully I don't have any hearing loss, yet anyway.

Between having two separate surgeries to get ear tubes installed and spending every spare moment of my life from 7 years old onwards riding two stroke dirt bikes with zero ear protection, I too did not discover till later in life that not everyone has constant loud ringing in their ears.

Since I’ve had it basically all my life though, it doesn’t really bother me. To me, it’s sort of like breathing, you never notice that it’s happening until you think about it then you just forget about it again.

I really feel bad for people who get it later in life and I totally get how it drives people insane if they aren’t used to it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Jazzzzz posted:

Back to motorcycle chat.

Because

Jazzzzz posted:

Gun "culture" here in the US has been off the deep end for a long loving time.

And also because TFR exists

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LimaBiker posted:

Getting a bike is genuinely the best material thing i ever did in my entire life.

Absolutely same. I know I post this a lot, but I am 31 years older than i was in this picture and I’m still as stoked to ride today as I was then

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You don’t NEED to rev match, but it will make things smoother, plus it sounds cool when you nail it and it’s a good skill to have

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’ll happen give it time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kawasaki makes literally everything. I had a pc CD-ROM drive from Kawasaki once upon a time

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MomJeans420 posted:

Does the rev limiter just cut spark without cutting fuel and dump the fuel out of the exhaust?

Yeah this is exactly what’s happening

It’s also an oil cooled gsxr so also likely the only bike in the video that would still ride home after that treatment

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

When a 2000-era fuel injected bike is 50 years old like early UJM’s are today you can bet there will be posting and gnashing of teeth about fueling problems on future forums.

Fuel injection can power through some of the issues that carbs have but there are limits. When you pull an ancient R6 out of a cyberbarn in 2050, it’s gonna need fuel work just like a carb would.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 11, 2021

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How does the type of oil you use affect your safety :thunk:

the ultimate facebook groups motorcycle post

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Yeah being able to actually access the adjuster with the tool is, seemingly, not high on anyone's priorities in the design room. It's a crapshoot. You can use.... alternative methods but I won't speak of them here.

I will. Grab that thing with a set of channellocks and go to town

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

We won’t kinkshame you, don’t worry

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Toe Rag posted:

What is proper pillion etiquette anyway? I’ve never been nor taken a passenger. Move your head and nothing else?

Stay in line with the driver and anticipate stops so you don’t three stooges your helmets together

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Check your local laws on the “sitting undetected at a light” thing. Wisconsin has an allowance for motorcycles to run red lights if they have sat through two cycles of lights.

Since some lights won’t cycle if they don’t detect cross traffic, the law basically chalks up to “don’t be dumb about it and no one will bother you as long as you aren’t just blowing red lights all day”.

We don’t have lane splitting but we do have that dammit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SEKCobra posted:

Same, I do everything with the bike whenever possible. My SO is pretty annoyed by this, as they often just want to take the car rather than the bikes.

Same. Part of my job now involves daily, sometimes twice daily trips to usps, fedex, ups, etc and I take the Goldwing every drat time. I don’t care if it’s too much cargo, I do my best death stranding impression and head out.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ur all banned for no GoPro

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Midjack posted:

HAMMOND
HAMMOND

Don’t think for even a second that I don’t have that link handy at all times

https://twitter.com/distortedvideos/status/1217486565846462464?s=21

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Strife posted:

Edit: Actually that being said, I still won't put my phone on my handlebars unless I really need to. I just tether an old phone without service to my actual phone and keep that in my backpack.

This is the ticket. You can get something like a Galaxy S5 for under $100 on eBay, $50 if you’re lucky, they run Waze and the major apps you’d likely want, they’re waterproof, have a nice screen you can see outdoors and tether easily to your phone.

Run it all day and don’t give a poo poo if the camera breaks.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Because “ninja” is the coolest bike name

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao that’s terminal newbie brain. “I’ll just buy the perfect bike and keep it forever” only makes sense if you’ve never ridden before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I mean, you can get to your personal idea of a perfect bike and own it forever. Lots of people do.

It just requires riding a lot of different bikes to understand what you do and don’t like.

The idea that you can just randomly pick your perfect bike based off, I guess looks? as a new rider is crazy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A buddy of mine had an rs125 for a track bike and it was really, REALLY good in a razor thin margin of every possible thing coming together in a perfect storm.

If you were in the middle of the tiny powerband, set up perfectly for a corner, had the tires up to temp, nailed your shifts perfectly to keep it on the boil, completely committed 100%, and the air temperature was right for its jetting, it would take down bikes much more powerful than itself.

Mess up any of that, however and it wasn’t going anywhere.

He wound up getting rid of it and tracking a *horn fanfare* SV650 instead after the RS seized on track.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, don’t manhandle the bike, don’t death grip it.

Keep your eyes up ahead, not pointed at the ground in front of you.

You basically have it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Aren’t there different variants of ABS too? Like the ABS you’ll get on a consumer grade Kawasaki will be fine in a straight line when you’re upright, but the stuff you get on a 30k ducati will do some more “magic” if you’re leaned over in a corner or something. I seem to remember someone mentioning something about that in a youtube I was watching at one point but I can’t be sure I got it right.

Not that the point doesn’t stand that it’s not magic.

Yes, there is basic ABS that just looks at wheel speed and compares the two. When one slows down and the other doesn’t, it’s time to ABS until number go up, repeat.

Then there is ABS with a 6-axis imu that can tell if the bike is leaned over, in a wheelie, etc. they can also apply different ABS profiles to the different drive modes, so the ABS acts differently if the bike is in wet mode or something like that.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bar mitts are legit and I used them to ride the DRZ well into a Wisconsin winter one year

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Probably not? The forces on the drivetrain would be less than a hard shift at redline

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have a secret for you

f9 has always been bad

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My issue with Ryan is that his videos are very surface-level.

I dont know what the video was, but he was building some old bike to go across canada or whatever and it was just sort of magically built and he's off.

I was like "show me how you got here!". I really gravitate towards the type of video titled "Prepping my bike for the first street ride, episode 1 of 374"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every motorcycle manufacturer needs to take a page from 1990’s Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth playbook. They greenlit all their wild concepts and it’s how we got the Viper and the Prowler

And to a lesser extent the Neon, which was an important car regardless of its place as a joke these days

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My air compressor is loud as gently caress and I hate running it. I really should get a belt drive unit and just be done with it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

numberoneposter posted:

i have total faith in my little ninja.

As you should. It’s a Good Bike™️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think you’ll find that skrrrrtn is the proper nomenclature