Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are zero (0) real-world instances when you need to hard brake AND get into neutral at the same time.

Sometimes you just have to play their stupid games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can also learn to catch and correct for slides in dirt (fairly) easily, and experience the opposite, which is

STAN DERRUP

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Supradog posted:

Tinnitus and hearing loss sucks.

Ask me how I know, probably a couple of times and while facing me so I can see your lips.

It’s no joke, I do have a family history of profound hearing loss, so this would have happened anyway, but spending my early years ripping around on two stroke dirt bikes with zero ear protection certainly sped the process up!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

how do i tell if my aircooled bike is getting too hot? so far i've just kinda been going off how hot I feel. i figure if I'm not getting enough airflow to stay cool, the explosions arent either

In general it will start running like crap, trying to stall, etc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wash it frequently, and something like this in between washings: https://a.co/d/aDx1YMe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same. My textiles never stink. It’s only my helmet that gets gross from sweat in the summer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And a gopro, dont forget. If you've got Panigale money, youve got GoPro money

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OMGVBFLOL posted:

the trend in the last five years of people building literbikes into off-road monstrosities is one of my favorite things to ogle from a distance. beautiful maniacs putting their insanity to action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSd6eJ7iNSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXThiGlUN8o

There’s also the Swedish (I think?) guys who turned a GSXR1000 into a snow bike, fell through the ice of a frozen lake, recovered the bike after it sat at the bottom of the lake for hours, and immediately fired it up only to have it run perfectly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The ultimate level of not giving a poo poo about chain maintenance is a shaft drive

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

opengl posted:

It takes all of 45 seconds on the FJR so I'm going to do it anyway. 21k miles and no real service history from the previous owner so why not.

I just did the goldwing rear end and it was a 10 minute job as someone who’s never done it before. Next time it’s a 5 minute job.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Highway or freeway?

Like a country highway, yeah those are terrifying at night. The freeway? Eh, it’s fine, imo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The jiffy stand is probably Harley’s greatest engineering achievement and it’s pretty surprising that other manufacturers haven’t copied it in some way.

However, even a jiffy stand won’t save you in many parts of SF, I can see the bike rolling away, fully deployed and locked jiffy stand just grinding away on the pavement

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

2Fast2Nutricious posted:

There is a sizeable part of people that hates parking a bike in gear and I do not get why.

Because on a steep enough hill (the type of hill that will fold a kickstand or drag a jiffy stand), it will also turn over an engine

For shallower hills, being in gear is OK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cactus Ghost posted:

also whats advised for holding the bike level while doing stuff like checking the oil. thus far i've just held the bike level-ish and tried to be careful lol

A rear stand is what I usually use. However, some bikes are meant to be checked on the side stand, so I’d make sure yours actually needs to be held upright.

Sagebrush posted:

Only spin the rear wheel by hand!! NEVER touch the chain with the engine running, even if it's in neutral. You will lose your fingers.

I once cleaned a drz chain with it on the rear stand and running in gear.

It’s in the top three dumbest things I’ve ever done in my life, easily

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In MKE you’re allowed to sidewalk park motorcycles if they’re under some arbitrary CC limit like 100cc, but as long as you aren’t parking stretched hayabusas or full dresser cruisers on the sidewalk the cops tend not to care

Sidewalk parking a motorcycle, especially near bars and things like that is a whole other set of worries though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvys not wrong. Well set up carbs are, imo, better than fuel injection, from a responsiveness and rideability standpoint

BUT, they are not “beep boop plug a computer in” easy to set up. The flip side of that coin is jets only cost a couple bucks and FI programmers are hundreds if you don’t already have a gameboy color

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slide Hammer posted:

Wait, are you just using hyperbole here, or is there really a game/application available to put in a GameBoy Color to tune FI computers? This is triggering something in my memory.

Aprilia used to tune their SR50’s with a gameboy color and custom cartridge that could connect to the bike.

Legendary Italianosity

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think my biggest issues with the "no carbs" stance is that it forces you to skip like 95% of the most interesting motorcycle engines

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

The 600 and 750 gixxers you can buy on the showroom floor today are identical to what they were 10 years ago and are barely different from what they were 20 years ago

Right, and to get to the actually interesting gixxers, you need to go back to the oil cooled ones, which also necessitate going back to carbs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

metallicaeg posted:

Alright apparently we're now calling virtually anything made after the Clinton years boring and uninteresting, while forgetting that in those past decades, most bikes on the road were "uninteresting" with a few gems here and there - same as it is today.

No, we’re saying “no carbed bikes”, which eliminates every single two stroke bike ever, as an example.

It’s not hard to imagine a cool bike you’re missing out on by being afraid of carbs

However, there probably is also an argument to be made about Clinton era bikes because it’s precisely around the time of the advent of EFI in bikes, and the standardization around inline-4’s and twins and is exactly the era where things got boring because they got the same across manufacturers

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I started my F11 250 for the first time in 5 years last month. Carb had evaporated completely dry, and the tank has a worrying amount of rust in it.

3rd kick.

The tide has solidly turned against carbs here it seems, so I’m not gonna have the argument, but I just don’t have the problems with them that others claim they do.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Allow me to introduce you to the PAIR system, coast enricheners and other wonky poo poo that everyone immediately disables.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah if you ride off road the assumption is you’ve already fallen a million times.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

I know we have a forum member here who's taken a crotchfull of gas, and your scrotum doesn't react kindly to low vapor pressure hydrocarbons. I've seen.. nearly every rider I know do a decent spill on their tank at least once.

*raises hand*

0/10 do not recommend

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As a goldwing owner, I feel very seen

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The weather this year was wild. In Wisconsin of all places the only truly unrideable portion of this winter was the back half of January and the front half of February, maybe one month total. Outside of that I’ve seen scooters and motorcycles on the road every day.

Usually we have months of weather that’s unrideable.

Thanks El Niño/Global Warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

cursedshitbox posted:

This is the way