Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a bunch of newbie questions don't know where to start.

So here they are at random order.

* I got my bike license 10? years ago, it was so long ago I can't even find the record of it on my gmail. I never had a chance to ride anything again because I don't have cool friends. Do you think I should take the MSF again?

* The reason I want to get a bike now is that my commute looks like this in the morning. If you live in New York you know the traffic is terrible and there is no free parking. So what do you guys recommend as the good commuter bike? I am think going form CB300F to SV650 a few years down the road. I just like naked bikes. I have no idea what bikes are good for commuting.

* I don't mind getting a used Ninja even though I don't like its look. A quick google of "used Ninja 250 new york" shows me some listings that's not very cheap. What website should I use for real world beginner bike price beside buying one from a goon?

* decent beginner gear recommendations, preferably I can buy from Amazon.Well I will take the gear advise from the prior posts.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks. I think I will take MSF again (mainly to make my wife feel safer.)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hi guys, alot of good advise. Right now, the biggest issue is still getting the green light from my wife. I think I am going to retake the MSF, get the gears online first and then worry about bike shopping and my wife.

This bike (GW250) looks good. I wasn't aware this is an option. I will keep an eye on it as well.

builds character posted:

2. Why not take the 59th street bridge (they have a carpool lane in the morning on the upper level and you can split through all the nonsense to get to the FDR) and then go down the FDR? Never hurts to avoid some tolls and the parts of that commute that would be bad, you can split through.
4. Bikes are expensive here. When you figure out what you want for your next bike, expand the range a little bit and look at NJ and outside the city as well. You can rent one of those big white vans that production companies use for a couple hundred bucks to go pick it up and bring it back and that's often a lot cheaper than buying something in the city.

Never considered that route because the traffic going up to the bridge is terrible. I will reconsider it when I have a bike.

What do you guy think about the 2015 CB300F deals on cybertrader like this one?. Think I will get a lemon if I don't check it? How much can you haggle from the internet price?

How do you check market price for used bike? Is there a Truecar app for bikes?

I have a CRV, think I will stuff it inside the CRV and bring it back to new york?

Just some general questions, I am not ready to buy it.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Feb 25, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I looked at the UHaul website a couple times, I can't tell if you have to pay for per mile charge for the bike trailer. If I have to pay per mile charge, I might as well just find a low mileage one locally.

Getting a used trailer is not an option for me since I live in a building and the paid parking spot doesn't have extra space for a trailer. A lot of this problems I have are not problems if I have a friend who ride. Thank for you guys advise nonetheless. I will retake the MSF first.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For people who are keeping the score, you may remember me asking some noob questions back in the first page. Well the wife put a hard stop on the motorcycle idea so I never got around to break the sad idea to the thread.

Long story short I got an electric bike for commuting now. If it's on a Wednesday or raining, I drive my CRV to work. Otherwise I take the ebike. The commuting time is really not bad. My best time was 63 minutes for the 12.5 mile rooute, that's already better than my average driving time and way better than mass transit commute time.

Driving from Manhattan to home takes me anywhere from 55 to 80 minutes thanks to the The Kosciuszko Bridge and the failing American infrastructure. If I take the bike lane I don't ever have to worry about the red colors on the google map. The bicycle is not even a high end ebike, it's an entry tier $1000 36v/350w hub motor folding ebike that's good enough for daily commute. I just get a pair to Marathon+ tires to make sure I don't get flats.

Anyway I am pretty happy I have a chance to do some exercise everyday. I still pedal the whole way. I just use the motor to help me get there 10 minutes sooner and not sweating. Motorcycle is cool, bicycle is cool. I still want to get an used SV650 when I get around to it.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 19, 2017