Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Now, there are a couple of helmets that are changing poo poo around.

The new Bell Something has 2 different liners: one of them is a regular EPS styrofoam liner, and the other one is a proprietary whatever thing that is supposed to minimize brain movement within the skull somehow. The idea being that most helmets protect your skull, but this one also protects your brain, and it performs better in low-speed impacts as well as high-speed ones.

The other thing is...is it 6D? Something like that. I think that maybe the EPS liner is replaced with tiny rubber cushions shaped like hourglasses that are supposed to be an improvement on head-banging?

People in magazines seem to be jazzed about these new things. I like the fit of the Bell plus it has some other fun features. I'll get one maybe this summer or at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hatbadger posted:

I'm also shopping for boots and it's almost broken me because I'm shallow and want them to look a certain way but also want shin protection. How do these compare to each other? I can't tell anymore but they're the ones I least object to and I really just need to buy some now :saddowns:
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-1000-prep-wp-boots

I have the shorty version of the Icons (El Bajo) in brown, and I've had them for a couple of years now. The interior material in the heel wore away eventually, but I put gorilla tape back there and now it's good again. They're not the coolest (in terms of temperature), but they fit well and all I have to do is hit them up with mink oil every once in a while and they're good. The soles hold up really well, but I don't really drag my feet when I ride.

I crashed in them once but I have no idea if my feet/ankles were involved in the crash. No injuries to feet or ankles, and the boots survived without a scratch.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What about a Versys or a Wee-Strom? People around here like those. Or you can look at an FJ-09.

And then there's the ever-popular SXV 550.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keket posted:

Along with this, never target fixate.

Seriously. I was railing some turns pretty hard on my third Daytona 675, when I target-fixated pretty good on this yellow Porsche. What a disaster.

Also there was gravel?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Hawg11 posted:

Not trying to discourage anyone looking to start riding. Just hope that you'll learn from my story. I was careless and made one mistake, and in motorcycling, that's all it takes. It hasn't discouraged me completely from riding but I look at it all in a whole different light.

I made a few mistakes when I was learning on my little ninjer, some scarier than others. That's why it's best to learn on something without hairtrigger brakes and throttle that can forgive your clumsiness.

If you stick with it, you'll be as comfortable on a motorcycle as you may be in a car or on a bicycle. Sooner or later it will all click, and the safety stuff should come along with the rest.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Also I just read this article on Jalopnik or somewhere about never riding (driving) next to a semi truck (18-wheeler, Road Train, whatever you people around this flat earth call them) because of tire blowouts and sudden swerves, etc. Also tire blowout Youtubes are terrifying.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
To me it seems a bit pricey for a 300 with 27k miles, but IDK the San Diego market.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Every once in a while I see a cheap pregen Ninja 250 for sale and I'm tempted: that bike was so much fun. It'd be a great bike to have as a second mess-around bike and also for my son to learn.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

As if being white, male, middle class, and American wasn't enough, there's nothing quite like the privilege of being 5'10", 32x32, and 165 lbs with a perfectly average torso.

I'm pretty close to your size (except where it really counts) and I can't find any used race suits that aren't for...well, average midwesterners, I guess. Never mind.

Maybe I should eat more cheese.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

ijzer posted:

how do i get a bike from the current owner to my house? i can't get insurance until i have the bike, right? plus i don't know that i'd trust myself on the street to ride it home. do i have to rent a truck?

If you know someone with a minivan/pick-em-up truck, they may be able to help you. I have brought 2 bikes home in my Odyssey.

Where do you live? There may be a friendly goon that will be willing to help you in exchange for a ride on a different bike.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My wife wasn't happy about it either. A friend of mine at work said, "I can't believe Julie is letting you get a motorcycle" and I was like dude, she's my friend and my partner. We don't forbid each other from doing things.

We're adults.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

you're like a broken clock of head up the rear end opinions

It's like those comedians who insist all guys are like [my specific situation]. If a guy tells you he's not, he's lying! HAHA.

All relationships are horrible! Whoever claims they're not is deluding either us or themselves!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

I never said any of that stuff but ok.

Don't they have analogies in South Pacific Correctional?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keket posted:

Just take a sharpie to the logo.

I was going to say exactly this.

Then again: these are the boots that I want.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had a Slime thing I got from Amazon that broke in like 3 days. I ended up replacing it with a Viair(?) which is still going strong.

E: for the bike tho I do use an old Nashbar floor pump for bicycles that is older than any of my kids and probably some of y'all.

captainOrbital fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2018

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you're filling up the tar completely, yeah it sucks. But if you're going from track pressure to street pressure, or just fine-tuning once a week or whatever it's so much more convenient to just use a regular bicycle floor pump. It works well.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
What about bead blasting? Can you blast beads onto rims?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah I was being dumb and referring to seating a bead on a rim, as opposed to whatever method they used to make my GT Pantera shiny.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

That is hot as gently caress

This is very true.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Also the FZ-07 fits in there nicely.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yeah, errbody rides one-handed; you just have to get used to it.

I seen a dude riding down the street no-handed once, which was a bit surprising.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2015-kawasaki-ninja-300-runs/6544473657.html

There's a couple of cheapish Ninja 300s, which might be a slightly better bet on the highway. This one seems to be in Houston tho; not sure how far away that is from San Antone

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks all, I'll look into these [assless chaps] and get through [the assless chaps the] next few months.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I'm going to cycle world and asking where I can find the Assed Chaps.

rear endèd Chaps

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I happen to be in IL, and will be signing up for a $20 course! Looking to take it mid July and it looks like there's plenty of spots left near me. I'm in India and get back Sunday so I'll be signing up then. Looking at gear right now and figure I will budget ~$1500 for it. I'm pretty much picking online right now (will go to a store to try stuff on) the highest quality most cyberpunk stuff I can find.

In addition to the G310R I'm going to look at a Ninja 400 ABS since they are very similar in price and I've heard they are amazing while still not being too powerful for a beginner.

When I took it in Chicago, it was free. You had to pay, but if you actually showed up they refunded the $20 or whatever it was. It was a fun experience.

Riding in Chicago sucks, but there's some fun stuff around the actual city.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've heard it's cooler in the lake.

But seriously, folks. Sometimes I will take Sheridan road up north as far as I can figure it out. It's also nice up by Zion where they have like farms and such. And also Wisconsin has some nice roads. And Road America is up there.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Got a new bike:

Went for my first ride today and it is awesome. It had 0 miles on the odo and I put the first 20 on. I am sad that it will be raining the next 2 days.

Pretty sweet. I would love to get a Ninja 400 and make it into a track bike but poo poo nowadays I can't even be bothered to replace my turn signals. Also I would have to pay for things.

It will be raining for the rest of the week in Chicago too and I am tempted to ride anyway just so I don't have to pay the meter for the whole work day.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Tomorrow I am taking my daughter to Great America for her birthday, then Friday seeing Sleigh Bells at the Metro then Saturday seeing Pearl Jam at Wrigley so no riding for me. Sunday will be all sleeping. But I think I will take my oldest son to a Harley demo the next weekend. See how he likes armrests and a loud stereo.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've been really into Chvrches lately.

But Kero Kero Bonito is a good standby, or Anita Ward. Who doesn't love Ring my Bell?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Keegers posted:

So I took some 3M foam ear plugs from work to try out on my commute home and holy crap was there a big difference between those and my etymotic silicon ones.

Ordering a giant thing of 3M foam now.

Just get the regular size! Huge earplugs do not reduce more noise, and may in fact not fit in your ear at all!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

They use a spark plug that costs thirty dollars

Wait is this an exaggeration?

Because even in Prisonisland dollars this is hilarious. I'm glad my minivan doesn't require those things.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Ctrl-i

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Make sure they're a little beyond flush with the rim of your rathole, though. I can see them leaving residue on your helmet pads.

edit: phone autocorrected earhole but I'm just going to leave it as rathole.

How often do you type rathole?

Which reminds me I should check if there's a new season of Futureman on the way

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

That's what they used to call me.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

you're in the Geneva, IL area. Twisties don't exist in your area.

I could have told you that, Cools. Ain't nothing around here but city and suburbs and lake. Some good roads up in southern WI.

This is why I want to buy an R6. Some of the only good roads around here are goddamn tracks.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
No, that's just something that happens to KTMs every once in a while whether they're registered or not.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Ducati had a Diesel Monster for a while.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Hello, I own a fashion company called Wankel Rotary Jeans, and I would love to partner with your motorcycle firm

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

right arm posted:

small bikes suck

:hellyeah:

That is the saddest thing I've ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

Small light bikes are objectively better than big heavy ones and insisting otherwise is a 'poo poo rider' red flag similar to dragging your feet through the intersection or locked straight arms on a sportbike, sorry.

I mean obviously the answer is to have a small bike for having fun on the street and a mid-to-big-displacement bike for when you want to go on a "dual carriageway" if I'm using that term correctly