Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I only wear TIMAX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Sagebrush posted:

alternately, a Ninja 250 is small and would probably fit in a minivan with the seats out if you fold down the handle bars (bring a socket set, it takes 2 minutes). Definitely it would fit inside a cargo van. The smallest open U-Haul trailer would also work fine. compress the front suspension by tying a rope or strap between the front wheel and the steering yoke, then tie the bike down at 2 points on bars or fork and two points on the rear frame. (Or just look up a YouTube on how to do it)

I was able to fit my (pregen) EX250 in a Honda Odyssey with no mods except removing one of the middle seats of the van. Pretty easy with a ramp and everything.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
If you like old Hondas you will love the Slack channel

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
the only time i stall my bike usually nowadays is when i put it in first when the side stand is still down.

i guess that's not really a stall

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
carbon deposits

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Now, what's a Dutch tuneup that's the really important question.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
When I started out I was riding around my block and riding with my kids (they were on bicycles) around the neighborhood. I was such a(n inexperienced) lovely rider that my kids were able to keep up with me. Mostly. I was hoping that someday I would feel as comfortable on this heavy-rear end slow-turning deathtrap as I did on a bicycle or driving a car.

It only took a couple/three weeks until I started feeling at home and doing stuff automatically instead of overthinking everything. Once or twice I narrowly avoided crashing into someone's garbage bins in my alley, mostly due to the fact that I was on a nice, lightweight, underpowered Ninja 250. A great learner bike, and one that I still miss.

I think it happens to most of us except probably like Graham Jarvis.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Carteret posted:

If you are buying new,

It's a Suzuki

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
In the same way that we may as well throw away our newly-bought potatoes and mushrooms as soon as we get home from the store, mirrored visors may as well come with scratches and scuffs from the factory.

e: see also: bananas

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Martytoof posted:

I have an HJC CL-17 and to be frank I haven't ever thought about what I would like in a helmet that this one doesn't already have. This is 100% "ignorance is bliss" since I'm sure expensive helmets are quieter/cooler/whatever but I've never once thought about upgrading. Even my Packtalk's JBL speakers fit really well behind the inserts without any speaker cutouts.

I crashed in one of these and it did a great job saving my skull and face. I ended up getting another one.

Now I have a Bell Race Star bc they were on sale and I always wanted one; it's got some kind of MIPSy head torsion fancy protection system that is supposed to protect your brain AND skull in different types of low- and high-speed impacts. It's v. nice

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

gently caress yeah, thanks Slavvy!

Bars didn't need to move much to get a way better position:

You should run all your cables and tubes through the inside of the bars for that CLEAN LOOK.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Supradog? I'm surprised he bothered with all that winter bike gear stuff. He probably gets snow like once or twice a year, where he lives.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Supradog posted:

This should be a vectorised png image.

I'm going to add some of these next time I do a Moo sticker print for band stickers. Takk kompis

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Figure out what it feels like to lock the rear up.

Then, eventually, do this at every stop sign.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
We have a good dealership kinda near O'Hare. They sell euro stuff mostly Ducatis and Triumphs and those garbage Ausstie bikes that Slavvy loves. Never bothered with service there, but their people have always been friendly and chatty, no pressure just shooting the poo poo, and offering test rides of random bikes for no reason. Every person I've talked to at that shop knows what they're talking about and is just like a normal-rear end rider. The guy from whom I ended up buying my bike, we were talking about Groms and trackdays and all kinds of stuff.

I guess they're well run, and I'm always happy to give them my business when I can. When I end up getting a Hypermotard it will be from them obv.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've brought bikes home in my Odyssey, but it just barely fit a pregen Ninja 250 and I had to take the meres off the old Katana.

I'm sure a dualsport is right out

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Did I really? poo poo I'm repeating myself, and what's worse, someone noticed it.

Anyways, I just got new tars put on and

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well, I promise to never do it again, if only for the sake of remaining unpredictable and vibrant.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I just noticed the new thread title. :D

You can't just rely on shoulder checks all your life.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Thank you for youre service :patriot:

o7

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I took a Yamaha BOLT out for a test ride when I was still a pretty new rider. It was a fun experience, even though it started raining a bit halfway through, which was terrifying. Honestly it wasn't all that different, except for the much lower redline. The riding position is different, but it's pretty comfortable even though it's hard to stand up over potholes and speed bumps.

I also rode a Scout which was fun bc the exhaust note was so great. I was revving it all the time at stop signs and everything. No tach on that one tho which was disconcerting at the time.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Greg12 posted:

You can't see yourself on the bike, and you're the only one who matters!

When I started, I spent a long time scheming and hunting for the best-looking motorcycle, and the minute I got on I realized that it didn't matter at all.

Yeah I was the same way. Now all I care about is having fun with the raw gay horsepower.

I mean, aside from the blue wheels. I refuse to buy a DRZ that doesn't have ano blue wheels

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I use it every time I come up to a stop sign, or sometimes a stoplight. I just stand on it and skid like a BMX kid in a school parking lot.

It's always fun.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Interesting; I'm much more comfortable on freeways/highways because there are no intersections.

If anything makes me nervous it's intersections. And parked cars. And driveways. At least on the freeway everyone's going in the same direction. And you can floor it a bit if there's space in front of you. Of course, once you get to that dense traffic that's still moving quickly but kind of packed in and tends to accordion-up and come to sudden halts, yeah. That poo poo sucks.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Yep, someone turning left in front of me at a green light that DSM.

I've had a couple relatively close calls on the highway but they're easy to see coming and avoid if you keep your eyes open. Like that MSF drawing.

Everyone's driving quickly on the highway but your closing speed should be smaller since everyone's going the same direction. Like emergency-landing your 172 on a street; you go with the flow of traffic so as to keep the closing speeds low.

Unless you're riding your bike on the highway at fantastic speeds, in which case watch your butt.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
The first time i rode on the freeway i was so freaked out i was going like fifty and deathgripping the bars and it was so loud.

And some dude/chick on a sportbike blew past me doing like a million and i was like HOW? How does one even do that those people are literally insane.

But now that dude/chick is me; i hope I've inspired you all.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I had an RG500 as a first bike and I turned out fine.

ooOOOooooooo

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Glass of Milk posted:

Thinking of clutch levers bending, I highly suggest bringing a pair of these things:

https://www.amazon.com/KNIPEX-86-03-150-Pliers/dp/B005EXOJZK

They're small enough that they can be stored in your seat storage or whatever and they kick rear end

aww

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

If you rode a supersport you'd be amazed at how gutless and tame it is just riding around normally.

This is why Yamaha sucks: after doing a demo ride once, I got back on my EX250 and was sad at how the throttle seemed to do nothing. But my memories from demo rides with HD, Indian, Aprilia, Ducati, 0, and KTM were more about how much fun the bikes were when you had a minute to yourself to whack open the throttle, slalom around manholes, or catch up to your fellow riders on the straights or expressways. Yamaha demo rides were always so regimented and policed that you get less of a feeling of fun from the bikes, and more of a sense of foreboding related to how far back you might have to walk if you commit the tiniest infraction. Bikes are fun. If they weren't, we wouldn't put up with all of the irritations.

Get your poo poo together, Yamaha.