Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

shacked up with Brenda posted:

tl;dr. buy a dirtbike, be happy.

To expand on this, skills you pick up on a dirt bike will translate to street riding. If you can handle a 250-cc thumper off-road and aggressively get around dirt trails, you will find street riding to be incredibly easy. This is a personal belief but I think that experienced off-road riders can "skip" the beginner bike (experienced meaning you can tear rear end down a trail, push the suspension to the limits over washboard trails and are considering your next brap to be a CR500).

The only question is why anyone that has access to awesome trails and such would give a crap about street riding, because you'll be longing for an open trail after sitting behind the SUV that sat through the green light twice looking at Pinterest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I'm honestly kinda shocked you folks have had people talking poo poo on your bikes. I've had a friendly coworker jokingly give me a hard time about not buying a Harley (to be fair, he had an impressive collection of Harleys from every decade except the first two and was a really nice guy) but I've never had anyone talk smack on anything I've ridden. The CB750 often had older guys come over and wistfully recall their days on their bikes, and that was the old-man bike with the hemorrhoid seats.

Ya'll need to start riding in places with nicer folks, or just be deaf as a doornail like I am. :downs:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Pooper Trooper posted:

I'm curious about the use of earplugs while commuting in the city. Isn't it dangerous to muffle external sounds like sirens, horns and revving engines? I'd imagine that with the somewhat limited view from inside the helmet and the relatively small mirrors any extra world feedback would be useful.

Hearing damage is no joke, wear your earplugs. When you're riding at speeds around 35mph, the wind noise alone will drown out a ton of other sounds anyways. There's no discernible advantage in trying to hear anything around you when you have an engine stuffed under your legs with a whirring transmission and chain right beside it, anyway.

Ask anyone on this forum suffering from tinnitus (me) and they'll tell you the same thing: wear those earplugs.