Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

The internal visor on my Shark is awesome when conditions are consistently changing as it allows quick switching between tint and no tint. However on bright days I mostly prefer my mirrored visor as it's really good in sunlight and doesn't dull shade that much, but if it's overcast the shade can be a bit dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Garrand posted:

Unfortunately the courses are out of the question. There is a dealer relatively nearby but it doesn't look like they do anything like that. Your youtube link is broken but I found the online courses, thank you for mentioning that. And yeah, I plan on taking it very slowly and carefully. I'm excited to learn but not that dumb. I'm a pretty big guy and my job involves a lot of heavy lifting so I'm not terribly worried, although hopefully I'm not laying the bike down too often in the first place. We'll see.

So on that note I went ahead and got my permit earlier today.. There was a question on the test about where your feet should be when stopped at a stop light. Unless I misread and am misremembering the question, the answer was that your feet should stay on the pegs but I don't know how you would do that without really good balance?

You should probably make time/funds for a course, it helps immensely to have someone teach you the basics in a controlled situation.

Lifting a sleeping bike is harder than you think, especially big heavy cruisers like a C50 and the first time you do it's likely you'll miss the balance point and it'll go down on the other side.

For future reference at lights the ideal position is bike running in first gear, clutch in, left boot on ground, right boot on peg holding the rear brake to hold the bike in place(and let the dickhead drivers know you are stopped/stopping). This allows you the least fartarsing around to take off from the lights should some other vehicle appear in your rear view and has conveniently forgotten to stop before the back of your bike.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

...except looking where you want to go. Nobody who ever rode a bike in the history of man was exempt from that.

This. All the time forever.

Look where you want to go, it applies to any vehicle at speed. in most cases the vehicle is much more capable than you think it is.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Also, hit the rev limiter/redline once per ride. It's good for the engine.

Also bounce off the rev limiter in top gear. It's good for the soul.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

The Honda 500s are friendly little appliances. If customisation appeals to you the Ninja might be better though. There's just a bit more available for the Ninja as it sells in first world markets better than the 500s, which sell at their best in lower end markets as their "big" bikes.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Let me tell you about a little something called italy.

Note the passenger pegs.

I can tell you from a 5 minute ride on the back the Tuono pillion seat is Abso-loving-Lutely HORRIBLE, the only consolation was I got to ride it properly on the way to the fuel station.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

You'll also rarely see the entire front tyre used unless you're on a race bike pushing it to the very limits. The rear however will go to the edge easily. I've got tiny strips on the front and nothing on the rear and being asymmetrical as mentioned isn't uncommon. I use more right than left of the rear because I don't have the stones to hang off the bike as much in right handers.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

-Inu- posted:

This is good advice for anyone: check the bolts on your bike regularly. Like you said, bikes vibrate a LOT and bolts love to come loose. I have a friend whose shift lever fell off on the track, causing him to crash, break his ankle, and destroy his bike. I suggest blue Loctite on the shift lever and any other important things that you don't remove regularly. I know it's mostly considered a trackday thing, but honestly, having your bike safety wired isn't a bad investment. If you have a decent race shop nearby, they can probably do it for around $150. Alternatively, Probolt sells pre-drilled bolts that you just screw in and safety wire yourself. You can drill out bolts yourself, but it's time consuming, frustrating, and you're going to break more drill bits than you can count.
Be very careful riding Deal's Gap. I have a few hundred hours logged in the Blue Ridge mountains, and I honestly completely avoid that road except during offseason (Oct-Dec). Basically what you have is an extremely, extremely complex road where nearly every turn is blind, and it's populated by A) People on sportbikes who think they know what they're doing but don't, B) People on sportbikes who actually know what they're doing, C) Cars who think they know what they're doing, D) Cars who know what they're doing, E) People on cruisers going slow as poo poo and not paying attention because they're looking at the scenery, and F) The occasional 18 wheeler that still somehow finds its way onto the road despite the signs saying DO NOT ENTER. It's just a giant clusterfuck which makes it a dangerous road in my opinion. I don't even think it's that fun of a road, honestly. There are much better roads in the area that are less populated.

I mean, go check it out for sure. But it's not someplace I like to frequent. These are some things us129photos has posted in the past few weeks alone:

edit: If you haven't already seen this video, it's my favorite Deals Gap video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rGbln3J4Sg

Well, my favorite was an older one from him, but it's since been taken off youtube (it showed his speedo, so probably for legal reasons). Rider is Jared Barnes - expert WERA racer, former Sportbiketracktime coach, local to that area. AFAIK he runs race tires and warmers when he's riding like that, and only does it during offseason. I'm not condoning riding on public roads like that, but he's the fastest guy up there, and even riding like that, probably one of the safest. I've run into him a few times up there, dude's a loving blur.

Great shots there. The video however would be better with less editing, I'd love to see a ride along from his helmet. And yeah that's a race prepped bike(but it has a licence plate?), even running reverse shift if you watch closely.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

+1 sport/hypersport tyres are a genuine and major upgrade to any bike. As long as you have at least a 160 width rear you have a choice of pretty much anything.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Michelin Pilot Power 3s is another option. I run them on my CB500X

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

I run those on my bandit. They're really good.

What do you get out of a rear? I manage about 8000km and the sides are worn down to the wear bars

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Dropped $900 on a new set of Dainese pants and jacket online today. Still $400 cheaper than local retail "sale" prices. Crossing fingers that the items all come in good order. I've never spent that much online in one hit before. :ohdear:

Yep, AU/NZ prices on gear are horrendous. Dainese suits start at $1200 on SALE, I haven't been able to find Torque D1 in boots for less than $650 locally. But I could buy a whole extra suit, and boots from fcmoto.de for less than a suit costs me locally. poo poo's hosed, it's just like computer parts in the 90s.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

I bought through motardinn.com. Never been with them before but a couple of goons have gotten stuff from them before without any major hassles so I thought I'd give them a whirl.

Link to your boots:

https://www.motardinn.com/motorcycle-equipment/shoes-racing---sport/dainese/8058-346/sm

$320-340 depending on what colour/size you want.

My $900 leathers INCLUDED the $150 shipping fee. So actual price $750. Which Peter Stevens wants $1300. That's AFTER a $170 end of financial year discount and they didn't have the perforated leather I wanted either! So if it wasn't on sale, it would have been nearly 2x the price. Its crazy. Even if I get slapped with a GST charge on the way in, I'll still be $300 better off. The entire retail business model is completely hosed.

Queue me getting shafted by the seller whom I can't retailiate against because they're in Spain. :v:

At those prices I might just spring for the Axial Pros. Really like the idea of in boots so they don't fill with water in a light shower.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Modern A2 Licence/LAMS approved 500s are pretty friendly little things. My CB500X I rode it flat out from the driveway and back again, only time it tried to throw me off is when I'd throw it into a corner too hard and the centre stand bottoms out, unloading the rear starting the recipe for a highside. The fuel injection systems on these things allow the manufacturer to give you the torque of a bigger motor but without the top end power to try to kill you.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

I live in a country with decent bike licensing and a tiered system with hp/capacity limits where you can get a versys or sv or whatever for your first bike. It's still a crap idea, get a 250.

Nah, I started on a Honda CB500X, the top of the LAMS bike segment are still so friendly to ride it doesn't matter. I'd probably say get something you like with less than say 50-60hp which is more than enough to get you into some deep poo poo on a highway but not so little a Daihatsu Charade will be beating you at the lights.

Though I did trade my CB in for a 1290 so my decision making process may not work out for others.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Slavvy posted:

IMO the main problem with those bikes is they have enough power that you can just bash the throttle and brakes and make decent progress without knowing anything about lines or how to ride a bike properly aka things that aren't optional on a 125/250.

I'd disagree on the brakes, they are woeful on the CB500 range, mushy, limited feedback compared to a good braking system like the ones of the Tuono and SDR. The brakes were one of the things really holding me back on the CB, they just couldn't pull the bike up as fast as I wanted to.

The throttle is another thing entirely, yeah the extra power could train you to use it to power out rather than picking a decent line, but I think that top of the LAMS segment is about that limit where you will start being kind to the throttle and eventually working toward that mid corner speed like I did.

I personally would recommend a new rider to the 500-650 restricted classes of bikes because they're not newbie death machines like 600s, they're torquey low revving things which have a very linear throttle response. But they have the power to "grow in to" unlike a 250. The electronic restrictions are pretty drat good these days, I pushed my CB pretty loving hard and only had a couple moments of arse puckering over 4 years of ownership, mainly because I was using the throttle as a switch by the end on hypersport tyres.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

If you love the KTM get it, but the 390 has a few known issues with dash water ingress and rear shocks pissing oil. It's a euro bike, it'll have eccentricities.

Though the Honda 500s are absolutely truly bulletproof. I did 30 thousand KM most of that bouncing off the rev limiter in every gear and zero issues other than burning oil, a riding mate had one too and is selling it now with 100 thousand km on it and the only non wear part to need replacement in that time was a water pump, though he rode his a bit kinder than I did. Every part is overbuilt by a factor of 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

I use a Kreiga US-20 mostly, but also recommend the Ventura racks and bags for trips over a day. I used to run with a backpack but it starts to poo poo the gently caress out of me about 50k in.