Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

welp a couple weeks ago i paid probably too much for a plated dirt bike and have since:

gotten stuck two hours from home in a downpour and had to get a motel to wait it out

accidentally dumped the clutch when a light turned green and got left behind as the motorcycle happily zipped out from under my crotch and off down the road, with me waddling after it

decided to climb a steep hill, fell over, and got my foot caught in the rear wheel

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i have nothing to compare it to, but im glad i listened to the internet and bought good gear and a lightweight and low-power motorcycle for my first just based on the trouble ive been able to get into already

getting my foot jammed in the rear wheel was a big "oh poo poo that could have been a hospital visit" moment. thanks cheap moto boots!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

as finnegan always says, you gotta consider smiles per gallon too

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

e: wrong thread

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

my bike makes a rhythmic squeaking noisethat doesn't change in volume when squeezing either brake. a little while ago i started noticing a slight vibration and i think this is a progression of that. do i have a shot wheel bearing?

e: also the chain is loose, but that seems pretty straightforward to fix

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 3, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

red

e: 2008 honda crf230f

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 3, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yes, i pulled the clutch and revving the engine made no change to the noise. So i knew it was correlated to speed. i tried pulling each brake individually to see if that changed anything because it seemed a prudent and easy check for a squeaking noise correlated to speed, to see if it was a warped disc or something. sorry for the "non sequitur"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

*presses envelope to forehead*

I’m going to go first with wheel bearing, second guess is trashed chain.

it was something so weird that you'd have to have been psychic to guess: when the chain jumped off the wheel it grabbed a little metal tab that held the chain guard in place and bent it so that it was rubbing on the sidewall of the tire. the sidewall's fine, it didn't even rub off the lettering

i bent it back, tightened the chain, and spent an afternoon playing in the muddy woods, falling over

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah dude the way you started that post i thought you were posting from the hospital

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

Yeah that too. I'd love a used CRF300L.

my first adult motorcycle is an 08 CRF230L and it fuckin rules for literally everything except going above 65mph

if you aren't a fatty fatty two by four like me you might get even better performance. i weigh almost as much as the bike does lmao

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 7, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

my poor shift lever looks like an unwound paperclip

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

moto journalists love to piss and moan about small displacement hondas not having enough power so i figured that's a good thing for me as a new rider lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

yeah at least on mine i usually just have to scoot it an inch or two before it'll get past neutral and into first

good to know about downshifting while moving preventing this. idk why that didn't occur to me, i just assumed it was my thread-title-worthy shift lever

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

so if i dont play stupid games i can ride in the nude, got it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Geekboy posted:

Exactly this.

I refuse to accept that I will definitely be in a crash someday and do my best to sharpen my skills both so they’re ready if I need them and so that I know my limits. That “everyone crashes” thing is apologia for folks who won’t accept that they bore any responsibility for their crash and as an excuse not to get good.

“I’ll crash someday anyway so meh”

Bullshit.

I may well crash someday, even if I work my rear end off to be sure it’s less likely to happen. But I don’t accept it as inevitable. If it happens, I’ll try to learn from it and be better because there’s almost certainly something I will have done wrong.

Drops, though? Those come for us all.

I’m planning on taking a dirt bike training class when I get the chance/funds and the inevitable dirt crashes don’t/won’t count. I got serious about this too late in life to have impressive skills, but I want to dip my toe into every kind of riding I can.

ehhhh, i think the idea that crashing will happen eventually sooner or later is more of a "buy proper gear dumbass, idc how good you think you are" statement than a "GON HAVTA LAYER DERRRRRRN" statement. at least thats how it sounded to me

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Geekboy posted:

I have fewer close calls in the car than I used to since I started riding because you’re so vulnerable that you really have to be certain you’re safe and have an escape plan if things go awry.

i'm new to motorcycling but i've been riding bicycles in an urban environment for years and i can confirm it definitely made me a more aware and cautious driver

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the internalized zen of "nobody sees me and every parked car is about to pull out" has definitely translated well to both driving and motorcycling for me

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i didn't know the lower controls could be adjusted. I can't cover the rear brake without either pressing it or constantly dorsiflexing my foot. how do you do it? loosen the lever, rotate it, and tighten?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i needed a second try but CA gives you three before making you come back tomorrow

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

years of playing various Road Rash titles taught me all i need to know about dealing with dogs

you pop a wheelie while swinging a chain over your head with your right hand obv

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Vino posted:

I PASSED

rid bik

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i feel like a go amateur is even a little ambitious for me. do they have a go hobbyist

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

for when you absolutely, positively need a rod to break the karman line

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

filtering forward on the right to make a right turn is legal in a car within some distance of an intersection i can't recall, i don't see why it wouldn't be on a motorcycle

e: i guess in a car the terminology would be "passing on the shoulder" but yeah iirc its fine when you're close to an intersection, have the room to safely do so, and with the understanding that you do not have right of way (as in, its your job to not hit anyone regardless of what they may do)

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 24, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

braking drills on dirt are fun if you have some around you too, cause you can lock the front real easy and get a sense for how terrifyingly destabilizing it is, but (usually) without...

dun dun dun dun

LAYENR DURRRRRN

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I worked for a while in a 105+db environment so I only ever used the work-supplied foamies, especially after I found out they're the most effective anyway if you put them in right. I, uh, apparently need to be getting some for riding. i can see the benefits of the other kinds being worth the 5db since road noise is probably 90-100 anyway, and getting it under 80 is all thats needed. thanks for the info

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

my dirtbike has the shittiest possible mirror to be legal, PO took off the real ones. Getting ones that don't flop around are a priority

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how do i tell if my aircooled bike is getting too hot? so far i've just kinda been going off how hot I feel. i figure if I'm not getting enough airflow to stay cool, the explosions arent either

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

how do i keep my summer riding gear from smelling like a bum's nutsack

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thanks for the tips. it's primarily my gloves that seem to get a weird feet smell, jacket and pants have been fine. i'll try a disinfectant spray. it probably has something to do with the gloves not ventilating. are ventilated gloves a thing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the trend in the last five years of people building literbikes into off-road monstrosities is one of my favorite things to ogle from a distance. beautiful maniacs putting their insanity to action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSd6eJ7iNSQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXThiGlUN8o

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

the other trend, of chopping old dirtbikes into hardtailed, suicide clutched cruisers is probably more my speed, if only because that speed is <45mph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChxZBKmb-jA

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Aug 5, 2023

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

about how often, ballpark estimate, should i be hitting my chain with some aerosol chain lube

e: cause, uh, currently it's "haven't bought any yet"

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

i realized real quick the first time i parked my motorcycle in SF that "the kickstand faces uphill" is non negotiable

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

TotalLossBrain posted:

What is this "parking" bullshit. I simply ride wherever I go, into the store, and dump things into the top box.
Stop being silly squids

i, too, ride a dual sport

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

if you dont have a center stand you can just roll it forward a foot or so at a time. mine has a side stand and I found this is easier than trying to teeter it on the stand and front wheel, or put it on some kind of improvised center stand

also whats advised for holding the bike level while doing stuff like checking the oil. thus far i've just held the bike level-ish and tried to be careful lol

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Slavvy posted:

There's also the gear ratio and overcoming valve spring pressure and the amount of weight on the rear tire. I don't know which bikes would start in first because I never really do it, because second is a reliable way to do it in every circumstance. Tbh I think the cbr300 is just really softly sprung so there's no way you can lock up the rear even in first.

i would guess it has a lot more to do with how grippy the clutch is than with anything about the engine, but thats just a wild rear end guess

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

:honk:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

as i was riding home from work the exhaust note for the motorcycle suddenly changed. it still ran fine so i rode it the last half mile to home. on inspection, and comparing to the parts fische on revzilla.com, it looks like the hose coming from the "suction tube" is gone? there's some dry remains of a rubber hose under a clip and when i cover the end of the tube (short metal tube coming from the top of the cylinder head, part 1 on this diagram: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2008-honda-crf230l/cylinder-head?submodel=crf230lac) with my thumb the engine noise goes back to normal; the new noise appears to all coming out of that tube. according to the parts fische this hose appears to have gone to the "valve assy., air suction" (according to this diagram: https://www.revzilla.com/oem/honda/2008-honda-crf230l/air-suction-valve?submodel=crf230lac). which, uh, i can't find. did i just discover something the PO removed? or is it possible i just can't find the VALVE ASSY AIR SUCTION because its behind some plastics or something

e: 2008 honda crf230L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

I'll keep looking then, since the bike has the stock muffler. If that's the most likely reason to delete it doesn't look likely. I might be able to get ahold of the PO as well. Looks like I'll be riding my bicycle to work in the meantime. Thanks!