Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

-Inu- posted:

Right, sorry. Here's a breakdown of how a helmet works:
:words:
I just want to say that this post was really informative, well-written, and easy to understand. Great post. I actually feel much better equipped to go out and get a new helmet after having read it. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

pokie posted:

I can't say about the UK. In the US I bought insurance same day as the bike. I just called them on the phone. It's a good idea to get quotes in advance and shop around assuming you know the model of the bike you are getting. Some insurers here charges 3 times more than others.
Yeah, it's crazy. Geico quoted me twice what progressive quoted me (for a Ninja300 in NY.)

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Just bought a new jacket on closeout.
http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/leather+motorcycle+jackets/alpinestars_gp+plus+r+leather+jacket+
I went for leather, with CE padding, and some ability to wear in fall/spring as well as summer.
How'd I do?

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Thanks for the input and advice, my dudes. Glad to see I picked a good one at a decent price. Reading through this thread def helped with narrowing it down.

Butt Reactor posted:

Finished my BRC and got the completion card, now off to the DMV later this week to do the written test and get my endorsement :frogc00l:
Congrats! :cheers:

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Snagged a pair of Alpinestars GP Plus Leather gloves on closeout for cheap. Holy poo poo, they are tight. Kind of thinking this might be normal/good, because that means they'll stay on really well and they may expand a bit over time. Can anybody chime in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

-Inu- posted:

They should be pretty tight, but not so tight that they're cutting off circulation or anything. They will stretch quite a bit. Go put some leather conditioner on them and go ride for an hour or two. They'll break in much quicker. Also, if you're making a fist to see how tight they are, remember that you're going to be holding onto your handlebars so the leather isn't going to pull as much.
OK to use that Lexol stuff you mentioned earlier in the thread for this?

My A* jacket is supposed to show up tomorrow, so pretty stoked!