Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I pay extra attention in roundabouts near gas stations. Its not uncommon to see diesel spills in the first big turn after filling up. Too many badly maintained lorries and contractor vans out there. Add some rain to that and you have fun.
It's also approaching fall in the northern hemisphere so there are leaves and more general debris in the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

That is not an insane first bike if you have good self control, but it’s not the best to learn on. It is a good bike overall though. I don’t know if you’re familiar with the nature of I4 engines, but they feel sedate until you’re past about 3/4 throttle and then things start to happen rather quickly.

Get some pants now and trade up when you lose weight. Good on you for covering everything else.

I have a 2004 naked variant. If you ride it as a car (ie just shift it up when not lugging, it is pretty sedate. It can cruise all day in 6th at 5k rpm farting out 30hp. The throttle throw is long.

The bike itself is well built, though suspension lacks adjustability. Spark plugs and valve check(long interval luckily) is a hassle due to space issues above the engine vs the frame.

But you can break any national speed limit save the autobahn in 2ND gear.

Please be careful.

And yeah, get some pants. There is always a ton of used gear for sale with people trading up/ stopping riding.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Between me and my brother we do around 6 motorcycle tyres each every years. it gets easier with experience with the right semi-pro tools but sometimes you just get a tyre that's a total poo poo to get off. If you got rims you care about totally get someone else to do it.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've seen some bike rental shops especially in touristy places in Europe have some stipulation like 3 year+ on full motorcycle licence to rent the high hp expensive stuff. In local Norwegian licence cost it's mostly high hp, expensive bike and sport bike that skyrocket the insurance cost. High hp touring is much less expensive to insure.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Slippery new tires was a thing when they used mold release compounds when making tires.
No modern manufacturers produce tires that way any more.

What you do have though is a much more tip in happy non worn tire.
Take is easy for the first trip to get used to your much more responsive tires.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Here is how the yearly bill is split by months for my bike insurance.
I usually put away my street bike in late october, and get it on the road again early march, so cancelling and reactivating it would save me 5%, not worth the hassle as I would have to turn in and pick up the plates physically in person if i wanted to deregister/reregister it over the winter.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

One of the good things with playing around on ice and snow with studs or knobbies in mud is that you realize how much traction and grip you actually have with normal street tires.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

For comfort stuff, a spare pair of gloves if you have, so you can swap if the ones you have gets too sweaty/ wrong temp.
A bottle of water or other preferred hydration easily accessible. Bring some candy bars/etc to munch on when you stop at a nice overlook.
A spare buff/balaclava for the same reason as the gloves.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Speaking of tires, have anyone here actually tried the diablo rosso IV? Ive used the 3 variant and liked them, but wanted to try Michelin power 5. I also liked the angel GT 2 tires, but since i swap tires myself I have no problems that diablos last shorter.

Edit: hm, road 6 and road 6 GT is out now. That's also a candidate but I like the default pirelli profile better, more turn happy than Michelin.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 2, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That is the best non hyped fun to ride type of roads there is.

Paved
Local road in an area between ooold farms.
No through traffic so not widened or cracked to bits by trucks.

They can be so smooth flowing semi technical rides with hidden turns behind hills.
no traffic, just you, the bike and a winding country road.

Pure bliss.

Norwegian:
Det er sinnsykt mye fine veier i firkanten ås, Askim, Sarpsborg, Moss.
Utvid det litt mot Mysen og Rakkestad også. Fine veier ikke langt fra Oslo.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 12, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Correct, 428 is the chain dimension, and 37 would be tooth number.

What differs on cheap/ more expensive brands of chain is usually how long the rubber seals last in them to keep the grease in and road dust/water out. And a little how good metals/tolerances are used vs stretching over time(which is also a function of missing grease as far as I'm aware).
x-ring chains is the default new standard, o-ring is the older/cheaper variant.

With chains and sprockets you really usually get what you pay for. Go for known brands, and x-ring chains.

Look up your bike at a local bike parts site. check for a chain + sprocket kit, DiD has a ton usually combined with JT sprockets. JT Sprockets works fine.
Use the kits to see what is default sprockets sizes. and see options up/down on front and rear if your bike is of a non obscure brand and type.

I stick to DiD vx3 chains and JT sprockets usually, but there are a ton of other manufacturers.

Also, post pictures, a worn rear sprocket might not be as bad, and aren't usually changed solo. if rear is actually worn then the chain and front sprocket may also be getting worn.

edit: do not let your front sprocket look like this..

Supradog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2022

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

It denotes the type of master link in the kit. see https://didchain.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/2020-Chain-Spec-Chart.pdf

RJ is non o ring, no special tool.
FJ is normal style clip master link which is easiest fitted with a chain tool.

and correct, 130 is the lenght.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

That is a thing with any dual pane visor solution, the heated visors on snowmobile helmets is like more permanent pinlocks with a heating circuit in the air gap. All of the ones Ive used has had the same light distorsion. You get used to it after seeing it once.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Well, as the speed limits where I live actually has a grounding in reality I tend to obey them. In 80 km/h+ zones I'm usually at 10% above to not be the slowest vehicle on the road.
I'm not going anywhere in a hurry usually so I take my time to plan out the most awesome non straight roads where keeping 80 km/h is a challenge. The default country road here is narrow and technical riding.
If you are outside of a city in Norway, when hitting a 60km/h zone its usually there for a reason. The base rules is the number of driveways pr certain distance. Above a certain limit you get a 60 zone instead of a 80 zone.

Because that's where people live.

And I've multiple times met the actual mythical mommy with a baby carriage in your lane without a sidewalk around a blindish corner in those areas.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

if you got the cash now is the time to get one. Fall is buyers market here in the nordics on used bikes. If people cant move em now they're stuck with the bike until february/march.

example:
https://www.blocket.se/annons/stockholm/suzuki_sv650x_till_hostpris/104136607

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've had differences in air loss depending on the current tire that is fitted, especially on my fz6n. In general less difference on my tube based bikes between tire changes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Rossos, both iii and iv, handle the cold and wet periods in the norwegian spring and fall season fine. I've had zero issues with lots of wet rides in 5c/40f weather. Sure they wear faster than the roads, but grip if cold and wet is not an issue. if you enjoy corners and twisty technical roads the pirellies are really fun and confidence inspiring.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 4, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I'd really recommend getting some kinda communication system asap. It's a totally different experience when riding together to be able to talk about things you see and situations that occur when you ride rather than being alone in your helmet and not know. Ofc its real nice to be alone in your helmet and ride around at times too. or putting some music on.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Get used to the bike before you mess with gearing. You have no context on what is high rpm on a bike and most on YouTube don’t either. The red line is not insta explode, bike engines are not car engines or diesels.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

The main point about navigation and gizmos on a bike is distractions as a new rider.

There will be a lot of situations that are new to you and you will gently caress up.

There is so many small things you need to pick up on while riding to make you ride safer and smoother. The less distractions you have while you build your riding skill tool box the better. if wondering where to go is a bigger distraction than a phone mount, or you are in a confusing area road wise get a phone mount. Though, I've found some really good roads just riding randomly in a direction with a vague ide where I want to get to. This really depends on where you live etc.

Mc boots are not steel toed, the most important aspect is usually ankle protection/protection vs over extension and general physical protection. What is an appropriate boot depends on bike and situation. I will for example never have a low/mid adventure boot again after I had the pleasure of jamming a foot rest into my shin just above the low boot while brapping around in some mud.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

knuthgrush posted:

Well I just passed my written test and I'm gonna take a Harley themed basic rider course to waive the skills test. :barf:

I'm looking at the rally model of the Honda CR300L. basic requirements are I don't want a shitload of bike, I need to ride dirt roads, and a passenger would be cool. Am I on the right track?

Be aware that both the old 250 and the 300 rally are not well sprung for bigger people. I image its eh.. interesting to do 2 up on.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 16, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My 2 cents about lane splitting is that your risk factor is always multiplied when you are not moving as a normal car in a normal lane behaviour. Do not take it for granted and for it to be respected. I use it in stop and go grid lock situations to not have to jerk off the clutch and not overheat my old oil boiler bikes.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

If you are that unsure I'd drive the same route in non-rush hour situation, with no pressure, just cruise. Just go out ride in a non stress situation to build experience.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Thats totally normal. I have a rule to have a 5min stop at least once every hour to drink, pee, get of the bike to strech my legs or get something to snack on when riding. If you are focusing as you should be you will get tired.
There are cup holders for bikes, and camelbacks work, but just stopping a little helps. For riding all day id really recommend a good 30-45min stop for lunch etc to reset a little.

Edit:
If you do transport days with 8-10 hours of riding with all highway to get somewhere fun with twistys you want to have that real long 1h break to reset, have a small nap, go see the world biggest snowshoe or whatever.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jun 30, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Always use ear plugs. Tinnitus and hearing loss sucks.

How a bike handles at highway speed and how wind affects it really depends on the bikes geometry and which way is the wind blowing today. Some bikes gets pushed around a lot from side wind, other bikes ignores it.
Headwind and tailwind and how gusty the wind is also affects a lot how comfortable it is to ride. It's just a thing you need to build experience with.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

You know what sucks? Earplugs that somehow gets totally flush with your ear canal so you just can't seem to grab a hold of them. The softer foam ones are the worst.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jul 3, 2023

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Get With the times old timer, all pro v bloggers use insta 360 x3 cams now. Invisible mount stick cams so you can see from all angles when you target fixate in the most mellow corner into a ditch with your 20k usd bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Vino posted:

Four months in and I'm starting to feel very comfortable on the bike. That's probably still somewhat unearned but I'm at the point where processes are starting to be habit/subconscious. For example, slowing down near parked vehicles or checking all the danger spots when merging lanes or lane splitting. I find myself relaxing my "no lane splitting over 20mph" rule and doing it comfortably at up to 40.

Questions:

* On the highway, lane splitting, going about 30-40mph: How to judge distance between cars for whether you want to gun it between? Typically if the gap seems a bit small for comfort I will hang out 5-10 feet behind the cars for a moment or two to see whether an opportunity presents itself. Sometimes one car pulls ahead or aside and then you can just go. But I do feel a bit exposed during that time. There's nothing directly in front or ahead or to either side of me, but I am hanging out in both car's blind spots for a moment, sometimes an extended moment if neither car moves. Is there a better way to approach this?

-Not really, hanging out in blind spots is always risky, but it helps that you are aware of the danger. Always Be Passing is a good rule to follow if you can in multi lane traffic, never match speed and hang out in someone blind spot.

* Also say a gap appears and I gun it to take the gap and minimize time between the cars: while I'm gunning it I feel like a sudden movement from either car could do me in. You're not in that situation for long and realistically I don't think it's an actual danger (who ever sideswipes a car directly to their lateral on a highway? much more common to hit someone in your blind spot or rear end someone) but my lizard brain yells "danger" the whole time so I can't help but feel like there might be a better way.

-Lane splitting is inherently risky and there is not that much you can do about it. The more of your general driving you ride and behave as something other than a car(ie not sitting in a lane as a car would) the higher risk you take. You will build experience though.

* Is it polite to honk at someone to ask them to open a space for you? I don't think I would ever do it because I don't want to draw attention to myself and possibly road rage someone while I'm on a bike. I have seen bikers pull up behind and then rev their engines real loud for a more subtle version of the same effect, but my engine's not loud enough for that anyway.

It's reving, a high beams flash or honking. I prefer to ride in a lower gear than usual for more exhaust noise, and in extreme cases give a little high beam flash . My horns are pathetic anyway and cars are getting better sound proofing. But, always remember that lane splitting is a privilege not a right(sometimes there actually are no room). There will always be people that don't see you.

* For the first time this week I rode somewhere I haven't ever been in a car before and wasn't familiar with. I memorized the directions and would have been OK, but just in case I put an airpod in my left ear. (The phone is always inaccessible zipped up in my jacket pocket.) It was a terrible experience, noisy and falling out everywhere in the helmet. Does the goonmind think I am experienced enough for real motorcycle bone conduction headphones assuming I still leave the phone inaccessible zipped up in the jacket pocket and of course never play music or anything, or is it best to keep to the streets I know for now? What did you wish you did?

-Get a proper bike bluetooth com set. Cardo and Sena are the big players. since the speakers is mounted in the helmet there is nothing that can fall out or get snagged when putting the helmet on and off.

Also, I haven't dropped the bike yet! I keep saying it because if I can avoid dropping it even while jinxing myself then I will be the only person who has never dropped their bike.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've only dropped my bike when emergency stopping once. My nx250 has tipped on its own on too soft ground a couple of times, seemed fine, then sagged over just after you turn away.
But it's been really drat close some times when moving a bike around when not sitting on it. Me getting to close to the bike and the bike getting the weight unbalanced away from you.
I prefer to move my big bikes around either properly leaned toward me with my hip leaned on the side of the seat, or sitting on it properly.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Neck gaiter talk. For near freezing i do dual layer. a thin merino balaclava and either a wind blocker or a fleece fluffy neck gaiter.

For total overkill you have klims arctic and glacier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

My closest calls to dropping it has always been with moving the bike without sitting on it. Me being to close to the bike, the bike being upright, and it starts overbalancing away from me while I don't have good leverage to arrest it.

I managed to drop my fz6n once when I emergency braked in a parking lot when I was unfocused, already late and a car popped out from behind a van while I was in the slightly wrong position in the lanes.