Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Gear setup review? New rider, R3 or ninja 300. Commuting, with some longer/curvy fun rides too. NorCal, won't be riding in rain or below 60*.

Helmet: Shoei RF-1200 https://www.revzilla.com/product/shoei-rf-1200-helmet-solid
Jacket: Alpinestars T-GP Plus R v2 Air https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-t-gp-plus-r-v2-air-jacket
Pants: Rev'it Sand 3 https://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-sand-3-pants
Gloves: Held Airstream II https://www.revzilla.com/product/held-airstream-ii-gloves
Boots: Alpinestars Roam 2 Air https://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-roam-2-air-boots

Still need to check fit, but looks like they'll all be ok. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

pokie posted:

Seems fine to me except the gloves. Some of us think gloves are second only to helmet in importance. This is because hand injury may be difficult to recover from and may impede ability to work the most. In particular look for gloves with scaphoid protection.
I was thinking the same on glove importance. Suggestions for alternatives on the gloves?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 17, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

GP Pro v2 vs Plus R. How big of a difference would it actually be for street riding?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

We negotiated $3200 if its not sold by end of next week. Bike looks / sounds great in person. No ABS, some very slight scuffing behind the seat from a backpack, no other marks. Front tire is diablo something, rear is the pilot, rear looks very fresh. Commuter used for the miles. Good deal?
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/6052156814.html

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

pokie posted:

It's ok. I wouldn't call it good. 3k would be more like it.
He didn't want to go below 3300. And to be fair, it really is in great condition. Plus Cali is a little more expensive to begin with.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

MSF course. Check. 😎

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My pants arrived and the top of the knee armor is midway down my shin. Oops.

Ordered some short length pants, and the transition shield. Going in at lunch to start the paperwork on the bike.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Professor Wayne posted:

Your knee armor will be higher when you're actually sitting in the bike. But yeah, that seems a little low. The top of my knee pads touch around the bottom of my knee when I'm walking around.
True, but the bottom of the pants were also on my toes. I ordered some replacement rev'it!s. XXL/short. My normal jeans inseam is only 30".

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pretty well. Afaik that particular jacket is getting replaced by the v2, but is very highly regarded.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I just started, but I got those same pants. Working well so far. And I'm in Sac, so we'll ride together at some point.

As to the bike, get a friend / CSB so test ride it, don't do it yourself as a first bike purchase.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

a cute sea otter posted:

I thought splitting was illegal in NY, do the cops just not care? I'm trying to get as much practise in here in the UK while I can.
Illegal everywhere except CA. But cops don't care in a lot of places.

FJ-09 seems like a good option.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

My instructor pointed that out, and reminded us a pull with the left is the same as a push with the right.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Yammie has now hit a station object and a car head on. He now needs to rear end a car and the cycle will be complete.

Don't be like Yammie.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I'll wait until after the track day on the 13th, but my 4 week old 300 is already on life support. Just not comfortable with the power reserve while on the freeway I need to ride to commute. A ninja 650 abs/krt will replace the ninja 300 abs/krt.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

pokie posted:

I dunno, I commuted 50 miles one way on my 300, and it was ok. Just go 75 and you will be fine.
Traffic here does 80, and the carpool lane does 85-90. I don't like not being able to just take off if needed.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Exactly. Right lane is dangerous, and the others are frustratingly fast. Upgrade isn't that expensive is absolute terms, and I was already planning on doing it next year. Shrug.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm looking to take the msf in the next month or so, and after nosing around for a bit (~5 months) I've become enamored with a white/red cb500f. How stupid would it be to get something with a bit more power than a ninja 300 and what looks like a ruler flat torque curve for a new rider? I daily drive a manual so I'm used to thinking about a clutch all the time, but I know that's not the same at all as a motorcycle.
I'm probably going to flip my EX300 for an EX650, and I've had the little ninja for approximately 2 seconds. I should have gone with my gut and bought the bigger bike first.

The 500 isn't trying to kill you like a 600 is, so buy away.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Pulling the trigger on the EX300->EX650 swap. Dealer doesn't have one in stock, so they are ordering from Kawasaki. Will update when the new bike arrives.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Just remember, your second track day is very cheap. It's the first one that is crazy expensive.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Where in Sacramento are you? There are quite a few norcal goons around, and I'm in Sacramento myself.

I'd go ninja 300 instead of a 250. You get fuel injection, better gearing, and a whole bunch of other improvements. And I'm not saying that because I happen to have one for sale, either.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cigaw posted:

While still technically still Sacramento, I'm right at the edge on Carmichael, off of Madison Ave.

Thanks for the answers and tips! I'll budget bike+gear (for 2) and determine when I can move forward. Will definitely take the MSF before purchasing bike.
I didn't realize Carmichael includes any of Madison. Close enough if you ever want to ride together.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

cigaw posted:

Oh hey, cool! I'll take you up on that whenever I get a bike!

It may not have been clear in my first post, but I will absolutely take the MSF before committing to a bike.

Thanks for the tip on getting the wife to take the MSF as well. We'll probably be sharing a bike initially due to budget constraints, but it'll be good experience for her.
Sure. PM me. CSB rode out from SF to say hi before I started riding (he had other stuff to do out here too).

I agree on having her take the course as well. Laws, etiquette, and confidence are important for riders too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

JHVH-1 posted:

Personally I took the MSF and bought a bike and wouldn't want a second person riding on it. There is a lot more practice you need once you get your license just riding alone let alone having a passenger.
This too. My GF got pissed that I took the passenger pegs off my ninja, but I'm not comfortable enough to be riding with a passenger yet anyway.