Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
What's your opinions on Bilt / Sedici gear? I'm starting a MSF class tomorrow and looking at boots and possibly a helmet. I have a pair of jungle combat boots somebody loaned me that could work, but would I be better off with something motorcycle specific for beginner footwear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Thanks for the input, had a funny feeling that those might be house brands since I didn't see them anywhere else. I'll definitely hit up the local dealers, an excoworker of mine might still work part time at a nearby shop...

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Don't bargain shop helmets, either. Find one that fits, and patronize your local brick and mortar bike shop for it. If you find a lower price online, see if they'll match it. Try to find one with SNELL/ECE/Star certification too.

Found my old roommate's HJC that fits and is SNELL approved, that'll work right?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Finished my BRC and got the completion card, now off to the DMV later this week to do the written test and get my endorsement :frogc00l:

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

A friend of mine from work wants to sell me his Yamaha Fazer 700 from the 80s, how much of an idiot would I be to say yes and buy this as my first bike? I've seen the bike firsthand and it's in good condition, it's been garage kept for most of its life and and the only serious problem is a stuck valve on one of the cylinders.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

3 strikes, yer out.

drat. :( That rules out pretty much every cafe racer I've looked at in the last 6 months as well, haha

Not afraid of doing some work either, I was pretty much planning on buying a bike this fall and then spending time during winter fixing up any issues it had. Is getting a ninja 250 really the only option though?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Carth Dookie posted:

No but it's the most sensible option for the widest cross section of would be riders and recommended for that reason.

If you like the cafe/old look maybe a Yamaha sr400?

Huh, that's not bad looking actually...comedy option: this ninja 250 conversion I found on craigslist: https://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/mcy/d/2006-kawasaki-ninja-cafe-racer/6279029462.html

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Alright good stuff to pick over and rethink this. I'll keep looking and post anything similar to the 250 if I find something worthy.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Minnesota Mixup posted:

Thanks guys, yeah it seems really nice. Need to break in the engine and tires. I am also in the Chicago area so yay lots of rain the next few days. Looks like the weekend is supposed to be nice at least.

Oh hey me too, I just bought a kawasaki KZ200 yesterday :) unfortunately I don't think I'm going to ride it for a couple weeks between weather and work :cry: Where in Chicago you at?

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Just took the thumper out a few days ago to ride it from my old place to a new house we moved into a couple months ago. What surprised me most is that it started on the first try after sitting all winter outside! Now, it probably needs some help in the form of replacing oil, lube chain, etc. What do you guys suggest for a basic toolkit for doing some maintenance? I've got a socket wrench set and some other tools for working on my car but I'm wondering if I need anything motorcycle specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

builds character posted:

Not for what you want to do.

Chain cleaning brush if you want to go nuts? Maybe a stand of some variety. What kind of bike?

Kawa Kz200, has a built in center stand plus kickstand. Unless you suggest some sort of special stand for working?