Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I took the MSF last December because Harley Davidson was offering it for free to first responders. I told myself I'd just learn how to ride and get it out of my system (if I dispel the mystery I'll dispel the interest, I figured), but like Sagebrush says in the OP, that's not how it works. And so the main reason I haven't bought a bike and gear yet is because I have no income :v:

I'll be bookmarking this thread to come back to when I'm willing to take the plunge. This is great information--thanks for posting this, Sagebrush. Also thanks for that radiograph--I'm going to send that to my paramedic instructors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Help.

I don't have the disposable income to pay for a bike, gear, and insurance/tags.

I CAN'T HELP THAT I WANT IT :qq:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
But if you have an overinflated ego it means you have a big head :confused:

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So why can't modulars or internal sun visors pass SNELL without being made stupidly heavy? Modular I can kind of make a guess, but the sun visor thing is odd.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

-Inu- posted:

Helmets with internal visors won't pass because they have to make a gap between the EPS to make room for the visor to retract. The gap in the EPS causes too much energy to be transferred to the head. That's why Arai never made a helmet with an internal visor, because they wanted every helmet they sold to be DOT & SNELL at a minimum* (funny side note: they used to make a Corsair V exclusive to the EU that was SNELL & ECE, but not DOT, so technically it was illegal in the US). Instead, Arai came up with this neat little contraption that puts the sun visor on the outside of the faceshield:

EPS = ?

I am a motorcycle newbie, help me out here with the acronyms.

I have really sensitive eyes (goon cave life) so I was actually really happy with the idea of a built-in visor, since I sometimes need to put on sunglasses in the middle of a drive in my car, even on not-at-all-bright days. I know it's a gimmick, but it'd probably be a very useful gimmick in my case as a lovely vampire. Now I am sad.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 2, 2017

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Question about riding pants: what's the best solution when it gets hot as gently caress for staying relatively cool? Is it still long underwear underneath riding pants? I'm guessing you want some sort of garment under the riding pants to wick away the sweat. I guess just some really thin long underwear?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That's dark.

Kinda like the ink of a backpanther tattoo.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The bike I used in my MSF basically needed the brake lever compressed completely to apply the brake. I was the dumbass who hosed up and dumped a bike because of it. I was covering the brake and clutch with my index and middle fingers and for some dumbass reason cranked the throttle when I hosed up an upshift. I tried to panic-brake but my ring and pinky fingers blocked complete travel of the handles and the bike kept going. At least I ended up dumping it in the grass! :v:

To be fair, those bikes are likely abused to poo poo so I imagine it's not a problem with a bike that isn't being beat up by newbie riders its entire life.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
That I did.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Better late than never. And who knows, maybe you'll learn some stuff you didn't know. My MSF had a dude who'd been riding for years and he said he still learned some stuff like with low-speed tight turns.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm confused. I thought it was liter bike, as in a liter (or greater) displacement.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Ah, right. "In the lead" because you're on the biggest bike. Hardy har.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you sit on your balls I feel bad for you, son.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
On the other hand, consider that window-makers trauma surgeons need work too!

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jun 10, 2018

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
What is squid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Wireless HUD projected directly onto your visor, cyberpunk-style.