Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Is that so? I'm about to buy my first bike and the Internet at large seems to think their newer 650s are pretty solid. I like the vibe of the continental gt and there is a triumph/re dealer just down the street.

Perhaps I should steer clear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

1. The internet is full of idiots who are desperate to justify their puchase. The best bike is the bike you just spent a bunch of money on.

For the record, the people I'm talking about here, among others, are the Fortnine and Yammie Noob youtube channels. The Yammie people don't seem to actually like the bikes that much but still recommend them for beginners.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
true, that channel does radiate a douchey internet redneck energy.

I am getting a lot of conflicting information from every corner and I don't know what to believe. the truth is out there. In my heart of hearts I believe most of the modern japanese bikes look weird as hell and I wouldn't be excited to own one, which is not a good introduction to motorcycling even if they are the Correctest Choice.

Edit: I want to use this as an alternative to driving a car in and around Seattle. Probably no off-roading. Bopping around the city/surrounds, occasionally carrying a passenger or groceries.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
:wtc: maybe I'll just get a bicycle

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
there's a place nearby that sells kawasakis and hondas. I'll take a trip up there soon and look around. thanks for your help goons

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
what's the opinion around here on the vitpilen and svartpilen 400 for newbs?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
what is the best beginner-friendly motorcycle that doesn't look like it came from Cybertron and transforms into a can of monster energy drink

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I actually like those, slavvy

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I was hoping for something with EFI and ABS. That said I used to fix up old mopeds from the 70s so carbs aren't entirely foreign to me.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I am still on the hunt for a sub 400cc Japanese beginner bike. If I want to buy new, it looks like that means a Kawasaki Ninja 400 because literally everything else is sold out in my area. Not a single honda to be found!

If I were to buy used, how old is too old? Lots of really great-looking little Japanese bikes from the 80s on craigslist, but I assume something like that could have gremlins I'm not skilled enough to sus out before buying.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I think they look rad as hell, and looks are the only thing I'm qualified to comment on

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Btw I'm posting from day 2 of the msf course, having an extremely good time. The bike I'm on is a csc 250 and I am really liking it

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I passed the permit test today! I also bought my first bike today!

I had almost given up on finding a small displacement Japanese bike produced this century that I didn't find unfortunately weird looking and didn't have an off-putting riding position. and then this kind of fell into my lap

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
2012 tu250x. Got it for 3 grand, so it met all the requirements in the OP.

The lady I bought it from said its name is cookie, which I plan to maintain out of respect.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I was worried about you but you did bloody well. Is that seat factory?

:cheers: appreciate the advice. Taking the class was a bit of a wakeup call in that it was immediately clear that I don't want anything with more weight or power than something like a 250

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

It appears to be a one size fits all bracket for the aftermarket pipe, which appears to be mounted inside out lol

i had no idea that the exhaust was aftermarket.woops, haha

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
The lady I bought my Suzuki from drove it up to me from half an hour away. I might have lucked out in finding an especially courteous seller though.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
It's bad for the engine to stop the bike. Motorcycles were designed to always keep moving, like a shark. Your MSF course should have taught you how to sleep with one hemisphere of your brain at a time.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
My msf instructor definitely yelled at people for covering the front brake too much, but I think that was because she wanted to make sure people weren't braking while cornering and that they were using the clutch to control speed during low speed maneuvers.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Which was 90% of the course, I should add

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I am certain i hosed up a bunch of stuff on the test that didn't get counted by the instructors

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i have a question about engine braking. how can you tell if you are over-revving the engine? my bike doesn't have a tach. i know that engine braking isn't bad for the bike, but it sounds and feels awkward. when approaching a red light or a stop sign i'm having a hard time fighting the urge to just pull in the clutch and hit the brakes instead of shifting down through the gears incrementally. it's easy to tell when to shift up, but it's more difficult to know when to shift down.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i have not. are you saying it's all good as long as you aren't hitting the limiter?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

... in the right part of the engine's range when it's time to get back on the throttle...

I think this is the crux of what i'm looking for. I'm not sure how to know if i'm using the right gear for the speed/rpm of a given situation. maybe this just comes with practice?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Your engine is very easy to understand because it's a single cylinder with a very ordinary torque curve. If you fully open the throttle in, say, third gear, at just above idle, you'll experience the following: bike bucks and grunts and chugs to start with, getting smoother and smoother, then starts to accelerate ever-faster as the engine hits it's sweet spot, then acceleration tapers off as you push past the efficient part of the range and get into the wheezy, strained sounding zone near the top, touching the limiter after considerable delay. This isn't a theoretical exercise, go out and actually do this, you won't hurt anything.

The aim is to try to be in the smooth, meaty part of the torque curve throughout the corner. If you're having to upshift while you're still leaned over because it's screaming and wheezing, you're in too low a gear for that corner. If you're trying you accelerate out of the corner and it's bogged down and going nowhere, you're in too high a gear for that corner.

This is really helpful and what I'm looking for, thanks. I wish they taught this stuff in the MSF course. I'm a bit mechanically minded so it's helpful to think about it from that perspective.

Speaking of, I had just as much fun doing my first round of maintenance as I did riding this past weekend. Wrenching makes me feel in touch with the old ways.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i dropped my bike in a somewhat similar way about a week ago. i was turning left and a car behind me honked (not _at_ me, i later discovered). i did the thing everyone says not to do and snatched the front brakes while in the middle of a turn and, what do you know, the bike slid out from under me. it didn't even feel like a decision. one moment i was turning and the next i was on the ground. intellectually i know not to go for the brakes in the middle of a turn but reflexes are basically impossible to override in those moments. savvy is right, the only way to overcome bad reflexes is to drill in good reflexes.

i am fine, my gear is barely even scratched. the handlebars and one turn signal got bent, but i already replaced those. i honestly liked having an excuse to replace them. picking out parts and wrenching is hella fun, and these particular ones were already aftermarket so I was able to get something closer to stock.

unrelated dumb question: i have been going by the tire pressure psi recommendations in the owner's manual. is that the right thing to do even if the tires are not the ones that came from the factory?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
tu250x
rear is an avon roadrider.
front is a cheng shin which is actually stock, so the manual should be fine for that one. is it bad that they are mismatched? they both look pretty new to my eye

MSPain fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 15, 2022

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
What is a safe way to practice these relatively high speed cornering concepts? I haven't found a parking lot big enough or twisty roads depopulated enough near me

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Good plan

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
when I bought my bike the tires looked fine to me, but I have since learned how to read tire codes and holy poo poo the front one is 10 years old. I'm getting them replaced as soon as possible, but the shops around here don't have the size I need in stock, so it's going to be like a week.

is having a super old tire a "you can probably get away with riding on it just get it fixed asap" problem or more of a "you will certainly die if you so much as leave the driveway" problem? there are no visible cracks, it's holding air pressure, and there's plenty of tread somehow.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
sick. i have my endorsement test coming up so i was hoping to practice some this weekend

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
interesting stuff about the svart clutch. where do you go to try out bikes?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
great work on that tu! what was replacing the clutch like?

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
the place that offers the msf course near me also has a more advanced class for after you have the L license. the takeaway mostly came down to trail braking 101. trail braking never made a ton of sense to me when reading about it, plus it's been hard to find good places to practice such a thing safely. it was really good to get some in-person instruction

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
seattle goons (i know there are many of you in here): is it okay to leave a bike on the street under a cover for the rainy seasons? i don't have access to covered parking and i'd like to still ride when the weather allows so i'd prefer to not put the bike in storage for as long as possible.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
it really is true that earplugs help your confidence on the freeway. It's easier to keep your nerve when the wind isn't shouting at you

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i took my first long-ish ride this past weekend

seattle to yakima via i90 and the canyon byway. took about 2.5 hours, and then another 2.5 the next day to get home.

yakima isn't the greatest place on the planet, but i wanted to see what was on the other side of the cascades, and the canyon road was amazing

the enfield performed admirably

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

holy poo poo

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
I like the muck off stuff because it smells like grape soda :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i used to have a moped from the 70s and cleaning the carb was kinda fun and meditative

doing countless plug chops to try and diagnose all of its problems (that I caused with aftermarket parts) was not

yin/yang kind of thing