Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Niwrad posted:

How did no one make a better offer than that to the Kings?

assuming that drummond tweet from earlier is true, they probably did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

They also tweet that after every game win.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

Grant Napear is saying all these anonymous ex-players are messaging him thanking him for speaking the truth about DeMarcus

Anonymous, can't say the name. But trust him. Five players!

Vlade Divac is technically an ex-player

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

chunkles posted:

Vlade Divac is technically an ex-player

He also speaks for all Balkan players so really more than five.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

The Lakers apparently tried?

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/833556136771145728

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Niwrad posted:

Some the NBA insiders feel that other had made better offers, but between the Kings think Buddy is the next Curry and Cousin's camp saying he won't sign an extension elsewhere, this is what the Kings picked

We've heard that the Lakers offerred Randle and Clarkson, and the Pistons offered Drummond for Cousins

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

We got our shooter
https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/833557568899264512

ribtstu
Feb 11, 2017

Niwrad posted:

some of them DID but kings think buddy hield is really really really good

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

They should have made it a three way and sent Galloway and the full rights to to their 2017 pick to Philly for Okafor.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Why the Kings are interested in a four-year college player with limited upside who has shown little ability to do the thing he is supposedly elite at is beyond me, but hey.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Niwrad posted:

1) Ainge seemingly didn't want Boogie / loves his precious assets
2) Orlando supposedly didn't bite on Boogie for Vucevic + Fournier or picks
3) The Lakers wouldn't give up Ingram
4) The Kings stopped taking calls tonight even though there are several days to go before the deadline
5) The Kings love Buddy, I guess

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/833554318510944256

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

lmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaao

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

"We have to take this deal and rebuild the team! We could get a great player in this draft!"

"But we will only do the deal so that if everything breaks amazingly right, we still keep the pick."

"............deal"

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was going to say at least the Kings can tank now but they have to swap their pick with Philly.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RocketIntellect/status/833562693269385217

HINKIE DA GAWD

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh man, I am EXCITED to see some Buddy-Papa John PnR action

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

should've trusted the god drat process

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WCS owns right?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Kings could get the first and second overall picks in the lottery and literally get neither pick.

Amazing just amazing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

WCS owns right?

He finally got himself out of Joerger's dog house and has been playing well as a low volume, high efficiency scorer.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

The package the Kings got for Demarcus Cousins really isn't that much better than the lovely package Orlando got in exchange for free agent to be Serge Ibaka.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
While this offer is 2004 Vince Carter levels of poo poo sandwich, I've been thinking of who would have made a better trade partner. We have to assume that Boston was just straight out on Cousins, so who else had the assets and/or wanted to abort their rebuild to get a guy who may or may not re-sign?

Phoenix: Maybe, but you'd have to give up what little young talent you have and picks, which means you're Desert Sacramento and not going anywhere.
Lakers: Guess they like their (questionable) core and don't want to give it up to be a little bit less bad and leave the cupboard bare.
Houston: No young talent with upside.
Dallas: Rebuilding, no assets.
Philly: Don't need a big man.
Minnesota: See Philly.
Portland: Guess they didn't want to give up CJ or Lillard.

Aside from that, there are really no teams with the stuff to make a deal work. Frighteningly, this may have been the best offer out there.

(That said, not getting more than one first makes this one for the ages.)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ATolliver44/status/833562644099457025

He is obviously one of the players super duper hyper mad at Cousins.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sacramento fans, just know that Orlando fans are all currently nodding solemnly, all, i been there yeah dude. it's ok to cry it is really

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

roundmidnight posted:

While this offer is 2004 Vince Carter levels of poo poo sandwich, I've been thinking of who would have made a better trade partner. We have to assume that Boston was just straight out on Cousins, so who else had the assets and/or wanted to abort their rebuild to get a guy who may or may not re-sign?

Phoenix: Maybe, but you'd have to give up what little young talent you have and picks, which means you're Desert Sacramento and not going anywhere.
Lakers: Guess they like their (questionable) core and don't want to give it up to be a little bit less bad and leave the cupboard bare.
Houston: No young talent with upside.
Dallas: Rebuilding, no assets.
Philly: Don't need a big man.
Minnesota: See Philly.
Portland: Guess they didn't want to give up CJ or Lillard.

Aside from that, there are really no teams with the stuff to make a deal work. Frighteningly, this may have been the best offer out there.

(That said, not getting more than one first makes this one for the ages.)

If there are no good deals, just keep the guy till there are. Especially under the new CBA where the Kings could have offered him much more money. Cousins was not going to leave $200m on the table.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Like I know Vivek signed off on the deal, but this was the best that Vlade could negotiate? Dejan please talk to me about how they negotiate in the Baalkans

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I just realized that Sacramento doesn't have their first round pick this year (top ten protected). Why? Chicago got it in a deal from Cleveland in 2014. But the original trade happened way before then.

In 2011, Cleveland traded J.J. Hickson to the Kings for their 2017 first rounder..... And Omar Caspi.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Sacramento Kings

JFC

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

WhyteRyce posted:

Like I know Vivek signed off on the deal, but this was the best that Vlade could negotiate? Dejan please talk to me about how they negotiate in the Baalkans

If you are a nation state then you never ever back down or admit you may be wrong.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cousins was a bad dude, just trust Grant he talked to five anonymous players who says so
https://twitter.com/aaronbruski/status/833566717779456000

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ty1990 posted:

The package the Kings got for Demarcus Cousins really isn't that much better than the lovely package Orlando got in exchange for free agent to be Serge Ibaka.

The difference is, Serge Ibaka isn't a top 12 player

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

After the Philly and NO deals, I'm pretty sure Vlade has no idea how pick protections work

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Can they stay in NO too?
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/833567541465378816

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

quote:

Ranadive, who declined to speak for this story, is said by his critics to be a cloistered thinker, beholden to his own whims. Kings partners are profoundly frustrated with his governance of the basketball side of the team, as has been reported, and amazed that he appears to have been emboldened, rather than humbled, by seeing so many of his decisions fail.

"You would think that after making an rear end of yourself, whether it's 4-on-5 or one bad hire after another, that you'd become more collaborative and seek out help," says a well-placed source. "Vivek has done just the opposite. Instead of putting together a brain trust, he's his own brain trust -- he and whoever the last person he talked to is."

quote:

There's a running joke in the NBA that the Warriors led Ranadive's Kings campaign as a means of ridding the partnership of its most abrasive owner.

ribtstu
Feb 11, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oh man I hope we can get an unprotected second round pick for him but I doubt Vlade knows what that is
https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/833568613441363970

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

All day I'd been hearing Sacramento got this big offer on the table and that they stopped taking calls because this one team had absolutely blown them away with such an incredible offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Jesus. Baseball season can't start soon enough. The a's can't be this depressing tgis year, right?

• Locked thread