Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Well, you can't trade back to back firsts so I think this guy is wrong. Sounds like a first and a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wolves should have offered Dieng on that nice contract, LaVine with no ACL, a 2017 & 19 first. Include a free test run of Shabazz.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I really thought these types of dumb trades were a thing of the past.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

New Orleans will win the lottery and keep their pick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Aww, that was sweet. Don't split them up.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

They waiving galloway???????????

Lebron just got his backup pg.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Jeez. And I thought Toronto robbed Orlando, that was mere child's play.

I understood Orlando's move. They clearly don't have a loving long term plan, but I get the move now.

This is an awful deal for Sacramento.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I guess if Embiid doesn't play enough minutes to qualify Buddy has a shot at ROY. In 100 years looking back if they traded for the 2017 ROY it won't seem that bad.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

This there second time with Evans which is what makes this magical

Don't forget broken Rudy Gay.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

I mean you should at least get a known quality young player in the trade. Is Heild even that? It won't be a lottery pick, and now they clarified it's just the 1st and 2nd rounder this year. Pacers bloggers were talking about it today and we were pondering Myles Turner for Boogie, just stunned there wasn't a better offer.

Hield is probably Nick Young v2

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

NickRoweFillea posted:

He ain't even get up that far

Do you have a script that replies this or..?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

So Boogie isn't getting the super max anymore but will he get more money if he resigns with the Pelicans next season than if he goes somewhere else?

I ask this because his agent was saying that Demarcus wouldn't sign with a team that traded for him.

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/833532438366154754

Summer extension does not equal resign. Cousins is under contract next season, he has very little reason to sign an extension. NO will be able to offer him the biggest deal in Free Agency and the smart thing for Cousins to do is wait until then and not sign an extension, he'll likely make more money.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Boogie is basically in the situation where he can choose the 5 year max with New Orleans or go somewhere else for the 4 year max. It depends on how much he values that extra year of guaranteed money, or how good the Pelicans are. I imagine if the team turns out really, really good next year he'd take the combo of winning + making the most money.

That's a big if, though.

New Orleans can give him bigger yearly raises. It'll be an 8 figure difference even over just the 4 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Spacebump posted:

Just think the Kings could be starting Thomas/Seth Curry/Gay/Cousins/Whiteside.

Tossing the Kings under the bus for IT is totally justified, but every team in the league gave up on Whiteside. Any team could have gotten him. I don't think its fair to blame the Kings, Whiteside needed to wash out before he took the game seriously.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Sac fans, is there ANY sense of "relief" or anything? Like, yes, this is a truly terrible trade but finally, FINALLY, the Kings can attempt to move on and get out of the 9-11th seed morass.

I actually don't mind trading DeMarcus. If you have a superstar but can't build around him, it's ok to cut your loss to speed up the rebuild, poo poo happens. But they traded pennies on the dollar, and they had another season and a half of Cousins under contract. They could have done what the Timberwolves did and traded him this offseason for a bigger haul.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

Steve shot the three ball as good if not better than Curry in a bunch of seasons and was much more complete inside the arc than Curry can ever dream of being. Curry isn't even the best player on his team right now.

Wait, what? Really? I feel like I am being whooshed but I am missing the context here (other than Doltos)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

If peak Nash played with Durant today, or anytime in the last 5 years, he also wouldn't be the best player on his own team. That hardly makes Curry worse than Nash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brolander posted:

If you want a ridiculous scorer who makes boneheaded plays, Mr Curry it is. Also I'm old

This is a hilariously short sighted over-reaction to a great player. Curry is a ridiculously dependable player who, it should be noted, is much better at not turning the ball over than Mr. Nash.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Brolander posted:

I mean I'm taking the piss somewhat, but dependable over how long a period of time? This is where we run into the comparison issue I mentioned before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpjtV4qjJBU

He's had 4 straight seasons of MVP-consideration-level play (WS>.200, PER~25+, efficient shooting on ridiculous efficiency, big minutes on elite defensive teams), and he's played 78+ games each of those seasons. Last season he had probably the greatest individual season since Wilt, full stop. In the playoffs last year his True Shooting was north of 60% on a 25/5/5/2 line. Cleveland did a good job defending him in game 7, but in the 3 previous game he scored 25+ so its not like he was why they lost the series.

Ignoring, like, 300 games because of a poor single game is p. dumb.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

Mention those Lebron finals in which he was awful to a Cavs fan, to put it in context

he was legit bad in the mavericks finals

Its basketball, sometimes matchups play against a player and sometimes players have a bad couple of games in bad moments. It doesn't magically erase their history. I understand that basketball is best remembered as a series or moments, but if people think the last 4 years of Curry have been anything other than completely ridiculously incredible they are pretty much ignoring reality to fit a narrative.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

hahaha vlade said he had a better offer 2 days ago than the one he accepted

The Jack Donaghy 30 Rock negotiation trick worked on Vlade

Well, poo poo, they had to pull the trigger! The only other times they had to trade Cousins would be every day until Thursday, or the entire upcoming offseason or up until the trade deadline next year!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

Does Curry have even close to the same passing skill and court vision that Nash did, because honestly, I don't think so and am siding with Daltos here.

Nash has about 3 more assists per 100 possesions and about .25 more turnovers (though Nash's prime years he turned it over a lot more than Curry has). I'd give Nash the edge on being a floor general, but Curry scores way, way, way more (9 more points per 100) on a bit more efficient shooting. Curry also is much better at getting steals, and probably is a couple tiers above Nash defensively (Curry isn't great at that, but Nash was really, really bad). Curry also takes twice as many 3s, which if you subscribe to floor stretching, he does that better than any player ever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, Salary needs to match.

e: that's also all they essentially gave up. None of those other assets have any value.

Salaries only have to match if the trade results in going over the cap. A bunch of teams could have absorbed Cousins without sending much salary back.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

big boi posted:

Can Durant/Green remotely guard Davis/Boogie? That is going to be a highly entertaining series if GSW can't play the death lineup.

(Warriors in 4)

Warriors do well without a Death Lineup. They got through the West in 2015 without using it once. They are going to have a real problem rebounding the ball though. I think its important to also understand that the Boogie/AD Pelicans are not going to be full potential trying to adjust midseason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The worst thing about this trade is now any superstar on a small market is going to constantly have pieces written about him being traded for a bunch of trash. I feel like this was slowly dying.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Not to sound like a sports radio host but I called this when the New CBA came out. The banana boat crowd got themelves huge paydays and everyone else has to find a crack to slide into. Maybe that's fair for the best 20 or so players, but what about the 10 other teams. At least some of them are going to supermax just all star caliber not great players and will be handicapped.

At least there will be more max salary depleting trades and wild stuff every year.

The NBA is going to be a lot more like the late 90s NBA, those huge Allan Houston esque deals, and deferred payment maxes now that the over 36 rule is gone.

We're going to be living in stretch, buyout, trade, chaos city

You need to be all-NBA two of the previous 3 seasons, so I'm not sure who counts as that that you'd call "just all-star talent". If you're landing on the all-nba list that often you're probably a special player.

edit: Quick look, the only guy that is eligible right now (forget about actually have a contract up) that I'd maybe hesitate to give a supermax to is Klay Thompson, and that's still pretty defensible.

Lockback fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Oh that's good. I thought it was under the old provisions of 1 all NBA or 2 all star apperances. That protects teams from themselves to some extent

Someone actually came out and said they took away all-star as criteria because it makes it harder on the West than the east.

You also get it for MVP or Defensive POY in the last 3 seasons. MVP seems an easy criteria. I guess DPOY could qualify some weird guys historically, but I think defensive players get underpaid in general so that's fine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I can actually believe that the trade market was killed by Cousins' agent, and that makes sense. But then don't trade him right now? Wait until other teams feel brave enough to call his bluff, or if Cousins himself changes his mind. You had time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BWV posted:

Vivek's new market inefficiency is ignoring relevant variables when assessing market value. A true thought leader doesn't care about what the market values now but what it will value tomorrow. Kings fans may be mad now but they still get to wake up tomorrow knowing they are in the prescient hands of a true visionary

I work for a largish software company. This is by no means new.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Femur posted:

Bill Simmons claimed Boston couldn't get them to answer calls during the draft, so they probably were worried about spys.

Yeah, Boston seemed like they wanted out of that #3 spot. I was going to say they would have taken #8 and a protected 2017 but I don't think the Kings could offer that with all the 2017 contingencies already. Actually, not sure what the Kings could have offered to move up.....

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

tadashi posted:

On The Ringer NBA Show they pretty much went through all possible contenders for Boogie and I think only a couple teams really lined up as far as fit for the team (so not Orlando who'd be a repeat of The Kings for Boogie) and had the contracts to swap to make it work. Naturally, the Celtics "worked" because Bill Simmons.

I'm not a particular fan or anything of Boston but I think DMC would have been amazing in Boston. I'm a big fan of Horford as a 3rd option, I think their perimeter defense would help quite a bit, and I think Boogie will be a far more reliable offensive threat than IT in the playoffs against tougher defense and better schemes. If I were Ainge I would have done everything I could to land him.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

I think imho that Boston would rather have Butler or George. I can kind of see that as well.

I think they'd have a problem scoring. I think IT will be more of a liability in the playoffs than people realize and I don't think Horford can shoulder a huge scoring load. Butler or George can't really be a focus for your offense like DMC can. PG might be able to, I guess. And looking at their roster, I don't think they will be able to bring in two max guys.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Uh. Butler has been a focus on the Bulls offense for a while now. And has been pretty good at doing it. His Defense has taken a hit though. That would be better if there was another decent offensive option.

Dwyane Wade has a higher usage, and the Bulls offense is 18th in the league. The year before they were 23rd (though Rose was probably to blame for that). If you really want to contend for a title I think your offense needs to be built around a better offensive player than Jimmy Butler. Butler can be a huge piece in a contending team, but your offense needs more. I also don't think IT can do that in the playoffs, but that is more of a guess.

Dexo posted:

*averages 25 ppg, is unable to be focal point of offense*

That would be interesting if butler was averaging 25 points a game and not 20.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jota posted:

Hahaha bruh....he's averaging 24.5

Whoops, you're right, for some reason I was looking at last years. I'm not saying he's not really good, the dude is a superstar. But an offense of Butler/IT/Horford, to me, is not quite an NBA Finals team. Cousins/IT/Horford is a much better scoring team. Cousins has even hit 2x as many 3s as Jimmy this year. I'm surprised "Cousins is a better offensive option than Jimmy Butler" is so controversial.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Boogie to Boston started not making as much sense when they signed Horford. They play the same position (unlike Davis, who is more effective as a PF) and there is historical evidence that the bets player on the celtics doesn't like playing with Boogie.

I'd still have tried but its not as clear as day it looks at a quick glance.

Isaiah played well with DMC, he just didn't like playing for the Kings organization. And Horford and DMC both can operate outside or inside the paint, even all the way out to the perimeter. They wouldn't get in each other's way too much, and Horford could guard pretty much any PF the Celtics would see in the playoffs. He's always played well against Love.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

roundmidnight posted:

Maybe Isaiah Thomas just told Boston brass he didn't want to play with Cousins again?

IT made fun of the trade saying Sacramento got ripped off. He also said this at the beginning of the season:

quote:

He has the perfect player to keep him in line: Isaiah Thomas, the Celtics' All-Star point guard and former Cousins teammate.

"If he came to Boston, that would be good, really good," Thomas told Sporting News last week, walking near the Barclays Center court in Brooklyn after the Celtics’ preseason win over the Nets. "The thing is, I’ve got his respect. I’ve always had that."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh I feel super bad for Buddy. If you're a rational person and are reasonably high on him, what do you think his actual potential is? I'd assume it's JJ Redick, who by all accounts has had a great career. Having your owner immediately compare you to a player that you have no reasonable chance to become is a horrible thing to happen to a young guy. He's toast.

Upside is a better Nick Young. JJ Reddick is probably a good comparison, I consider JJ to be a great shooter and pretty good at a whole bunch of other stuff so I guess it depends on how he fleshes out his game.

BIZORT posted:

Most of this forum didn't think Curry would be poo poo either. The majority thought he was going to bust

The draft profile of Steph Curry and Jimmer Freddette are way more similar than different. Projecting players is really hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

It was under the arm, so not close. In one look it looked like he threw the elbow straight at his head.

• Locked thread