Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That sort of thing is why the dedicated heal button was invented. It's one thing to run out of healing entirely but to die with more on harder to reach spots on your belt or in your backpack just sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Oof. Archers, lightning demons, magma demons, and obsidian lords all within a few steps of the start. At least there weren't any spitters.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Imagine This Without A Ranged Option: The Authentic Warrior Experience

Other games have difficulty spikes, this one has a difficulty Mount Everest. But it's okay! You have a bow :).

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Simply Simon posted:

Imagine This Without A Ranged Option: The Authentic Warrior Experience

Other games have difficulty spikes, this one has a difficulty Mount Everest. But it's okay! You have a bow :).

Yeah. This was talked about earlier, but I must add the confirmation that it is practically impossible to beat The Butcher in melee, and that it seems he was designed to be cheesed by getting a bow and shooting him through slotted windows.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ah yes we have arrived at the place where the game says "hahahaha gently caress you"

Honestly surprised you didn't also get acid spitters to complete this poo poo sandwich you are fed at this stage of the game

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Direct Link

Zeratanis returns for Diablo 3, floor 6. Lots of talking about Diablo 3, but we're not discussing what's happening on screen.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

Cangelosi posted:

Yeah. This was talked about earlier, but I must add the confirmation that it is practically impossible to beat The Butcher in melee, and that it seems he was designed to be cheesed by getting a bow and shooting him through slotted windows.

Hahaha "designed."

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Yeah I had that specific item bonus that let a wizards primary spell cast the other abilities while used as one of the cube bonuses. Also the item that had practically zero mana drain for beam attacks so I just ran around spamming Disintegration beam constantly and just proccing everything else. It was great. :D

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

I find another legendary in this one. It's the one I've been talking about for a while now. Shlapintogan / Bohampscious is in this one too.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
And just like that you are now playing EZ Mode.

Side note: If you personally don't want to grind up the staff, I already have it and would have zero issue opening it up for you. This is of course all dependent on if you really want to show off that place. As it is a D3 thing, it isn't necessary but if you just want to have the extreme opposite of the D3 vids, then absolutely.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Aces High is back for Diablo 3, floor 8. We both have some reservations about Blizzard storytelling, so here's 7 minutes of catharsis.

This is also the halfway point of the LP! :toot:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
*BEEEEEEP*

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

BenRGamer posted:

*BEEEEEEP*

Really? Well *BOOOOOOOOOOOP*.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Is there any other game besides D3 with damage/HP values spanning at least 10 magnitudes?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Palladium posted:

Is there any other game besides D3 with damage/HP values spanning at least 10 magnitudes?

Final Fantasy 13's Trilogy can get there.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Palladium posted:

I feel compelled to post this for some reason. (Look carefully at the HP numbers)

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
I look at that pic and simply think: "Huh, wonder what Torment level that is. Gotta be 6+ easy."

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

I look at that pic and simply think: "Huh, wonder what Torment level that is. Gotta be 6+ easy."

That was the old Inferno difficulty from launch, when HP totals still used unsigned 32 bit integers.

Those hammer lords are completely invulnerable due to the HP value overflowing. If you look closely it says −2,147,483,648

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Wouldn't that be a signed integer, though? Otherwise it wouldn't loop around until ~4 billion.

I've seen similar behavior out of Hearthstone, though to be fair to that game you need a lot of work and no small amount of collusion to reach such a point. At least in that case the game does have some sanity checking, and will apparently set any negative values to a floor of 0 rather than just doing bizarre unintended subtractions. And of course part of the reason for World of Warcraft's number squish was to prevent this sort of thing from happening altogether, since WoW is an older code base that Blizzard has constantly had to kludge around because that's the least bad option when dealing with a 13-year-old program too massive to just gut and rebuild.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

That was the old Inferno difficulty from launch, when HP totals still used unsigned 32 bit integers.

Those hammer lords are completely invulnerable due to the HP value overflowing. If you look closely it says −2,147,483,648

I missed that little detail. Shows me.

NGDBSS posted:

And of course part of the reason for World of Warcraft's number squish was to prevent this sort of thing from happening altogether, since WoW is an older code base that Blizzard has constantly had to kludge around because that's the least bad option when dealing with a 13-year-old program too massive to just gut and rebuild.

Yeah, this is what I've heard from an insider of the company as well. It's also one of the arguments some players have made wondering why they haven't gone and simply made a WoW2 or something; beyond the obvious losing all character progression. Still hasn't stopped mobs and players from reaching millions to billions of HP. I think some boss mobs hove 10+ billion and I want to even say the world boss mobs in Legion have over a trillion but I might be crazy and they only have 10-100 billion. Kind of hard to read when you're being one shot every few seconds you're in range of them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue is back and today enters the caves. Zeratanis returns as well for the next several videos.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Caves has the best music. At least that's what I though as a teenager when I returned to D1 after...5 years of Lord of Destruction playing

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

No update today. The dog I've had for the past 18 years is dying, and I really don't feel like putting in effort for this right now. I'll have one up on Monday as usual.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

DoubleNegative posted:

The dog I've had for the past 18 years is dying

Oh, no.

You take however long you need to.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

aww dude :smith:

that's more important

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Aww man. I came in at the worst time.

so uh. where does one pick up the old clickfest these days?

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I believe you can pick it up on Battle.net. Don't expect a deal, though.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BenRGamer posted:

I believe you can pick it up on Battle.net. Don't expect a deal, though.

Nope :( they have Diablo 2. But not 1. To E-bay. Or next time I swing by my old home I'll grab a copy.

Edit: there was a Diablo Battle chest with Diablo 1 and 2 + Lord of Destruction

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 24, 2017

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
For what it's worth, no codes are required to install D1, so that's most likely why Blizzard doesn't sell copies. Why they couldn't just retrofit a CD key system and sell that is beyond me, though.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

when Diablo 3 came out was there a package edition similar to when Wings of Liberty came out? I think if you got the Ultimate Edition or whatever there was also a usb that had Brood War on it.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Veloxyll posted:

There was a Diablo Battle chest with Diablo 1 and 2 + Lord of Destruction

That's the copy I still have.

If I remember, it was a college grad present to myself. Before then I only had the regular D1.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Zeratanis returns for floor 10. We spend a lot of time discussing Dr Who.

The speed-up music was changed between actually commenting over the video and publishing it. It used to be Dance of Maria by Elias Rahbani, but the mere act of having it on a video got me a copyright strike. Not Content ID either. I mean an actual copyright violation strike.

Veloxyll posted:

Aww man. I came in at the worst time.

so uh. where does one pick up the old clickfest these days?

There used to be an ISO of the game on Archive.org. Not sure if that counts as :filez: or not.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

Edit: there was a Diablo Battle chest with Diablo 1 and 2 + Lord of Destruction

That thing was on shelves for ages. I'm a little surprised it's not still on shelves.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
For the life of me I don't know why they don't just GOG it for $10.

I know they make ridiculous amounts of money, but that's never stopped a company making a bit more.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

do they still list Diablo 1 in their "retro" section alongside The Lost Vikings on the Blizzard store?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Did you ever get Telekinesis? I remember that being pretty good for a few things like barrels, collecting loot piles, and earlier in the dungeon opening doors from longer distances and shooting at them.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

It seems so ridiculous that when you find whatever magic anvil, the blacksmith can only use it for you once and then never again. It's not like the anvil should break or lose its powers is it? Just let me craft a new drat weapon when I want to, take payment for it or whatever, but don't just stash that magic anvil and forget all about it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

nielsm posted:

It seems so ridiculous that when you find whatever magic anvil, the blacksmith can only use it for you once and then never again. It's not like the anvil should break or lose its powers is it? Just let me craft a new drat weapon when I want to, take payment for it or whatever, but don't just stash that magic anvil and forget all about it.

They did fix that in D2 with Charsi's special smithing thing from what I can remember.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

They did fix that in D2 with Charsi's special smithing thing from what I can remember.

No, she'll still only enchant an item once for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, she'll still only enchant an item once for you.

:doh:
To my defence it's been a while since I played D2. Although I do think you could at least pick which item you wanted enchanted that time around.

• Locked thread