Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Simply Simon posted:

Let me try for anyone watching. Key to understanding Diablo 3's on paper weird-rear end level scaling is that originally, the game tried to do things normally, Diablo 2 style, and it failed at that. It already had the gameplay of a slick, flexible, super dynamic action game, but STILL wanted, no, needed the player to farm for hours and hours with very low drop chances to get gear to even come close to progressing further in the highest difficulty. Inferno was stupidly unfun to play and drew a lot of flak, very deservedly. I still liked the game in general because I've never been one to push Diablo to the limits - I have probably started at least 30 characters in Diablo 2 but brought at max TWO of them above level 80 - so I'd just start a new char class in D3 and hosed around with that. But for many people, something was deeply wrong because D3 didn't really know what it wanted to be at all.

This is why they introduced the level scaling thing. See, the key issue with challenge in a Diablo game is that it doesn't actually need to be there. People spent ages figuring out the absolute best ways to farm bosses and levels (so...more bosses) and cows and poo poo in Diablo 2 so they could avoid challenge - make characters better and better and better and drive the numbers up so everything dies from you looking at it funny! That is why you play these hack&slash games, they're not meant to be Dark Souls difficult, you just want to mutilate thousands of demons in milliseconds.

But on the OTHER hand, Diablo 2 had always the problem of where to go next. Once your build was finished, you could only push numbers further, and that meant optimizing some items slots that were 99.999% perfect anyway, and get some more stats that honestly mattered jackshit, and so on. The endgame was terrible unless you were REALLY into Baal runs because you could do nothing BUT endlessly farm - and that is truly not everybody's cookie.

Enter The Solution: level scaling and adjustable difficulty. Diablo 3 is completely removed from being a standard RPG now. In fact, it no longer needs a story mode. If you have finished that once, you can start a new character, put it in the new Adventure Mode that everyone plays at, and just go wherever, immediately. This is how you fight the final boss at level 1 - you just go there. Everytime you start the game, there's different objectives you can finish in the entire game world, and those "bounties" give you rewards mostly in the form of items - one legendary (Unique) guaranteed. You can gamble for set and legendary items with a VERY high chance. You can MAKE legendaries with a simple recipe.

The idea is you start the game and within one or two play sessions, you are at max level, and within another play session you have half of a super endgame set and the best weapon (sans uber stats!) you could possibly have. You can have any build you want with just a few hours of investment, you no longer have to farm for months just to trade for ONE item (which, in D2's case, might just be duped). In fact, you can't trade at all anymore. You will find your poo poo though, guaranteed.

Then you experiment, because you can switch your build anytime. Element, as said, doesn't matter. Fire char? Whatever. Nothing's immune. Bored of setting things on fire? A few clicks, and you freeze them instead. Found an amazing Arcane weapon? Do that instead! And while you're toying, you slowly get better and better stuff. You finish the endgame set. And you gain levels beyond the normal maximum, that raise you stats sloooooowly but surely higher and higher and higher.

NOW you start challenging yourself. You can put the difficulty as high as you want. It's not just Normal, Nightmare and Hell - the scale has NO UPPER END. Can you finish a bounty run on Torment level 50? Can you survive against crazy Uber bosses for sick drops in a group of four people...at Torment 40? Do you want to risk it? How high does the slider go? Will this new ring allow you to put one more notch on it?

As you can see, Diablo 3 has gone full arcade, and I love it for that. It's now completely different from D2, and that's a good thing - everything that was like D2 dragged it down because it always wanted to be its own thing. Now it finally is, and it owns. Slice those monsters, push those Torment levels. Just don't worry about "ugh but my levels don't matter anymore???" - that's the point!

I'd be interested to know more about exactly when this happened. I loved D3 on release (before any of the nerfs to Inferno - I was playing a Barbarian and had to go full defensive everything and stunlock enemies with bull rush or whatever that shield charge attack was called. Cleared A3 Inferno!) and then I guess during that transitional period when they were trying to figure out how to make the game fun I quit playing because they had already sorted the "nothing is really difficult" part without having made the game open ended and arcadey enough. This was pre-expansion, shortly after they added prestige levels and monster power or whatever the gently caress it was called. I remember farming the same areas in A3 and A4 and it felt just like farming in D2 except you didn't have the fun of knowing when a particular unique drops it's actually going to be good and worth having. In fact virtually nothing worth having ever dropped, the AH was saturated with really good loot at low prices and then the top tiny percentage of set items and extremely well rolled uniques cost rediculously massive amounts of gold. I moved over to PoE until they kind of doubled down on the character building complexity with each new patch and I got sick and tired because all I really wanted was to make an effective build that didn't require trading with other players.

I also got a little salty because if I had been less attached to actually playing the game, the items I had acquired pre nerf were worth a lot of cash on the RMAH but I never sold anything. I'm glad they ditched that dumb loving idea.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread