Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

That's the way the bee bumbles.
There's something about these games that transcends what I typically hate about Blizzard. Diablo rules pretty hard. I've been thinking about getting back into DIII, since I was gifted, but never got around to playing the expansion. I'm into this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I've actually never seen Diablo 1 in action and have been getting an ARPG itch as of late, so let's see how this goes.

I pity you that you don't get to feel the same sense of nostalgia at every sound effect, and every voice clip that this game will play. That Cathedral dungeon music is so deeply branded into my brain that I may someday be able to use it to travel through time.

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

C-Euro posted:

I haven't actually played any Diablo games :negative:

Well, then you better stay awhile... and listen.

Aerdan posted:

There's an open-source Diablo engine rewrite in the works. It's somewhat early days, though. There's also a DiabloRL, which translates Diablo into a turn-based roguelike in ASCII, but it's been abandoned; it, too, is open-source, however.

Reminds me, there is a three part Russian-made Doom wad which is essentially a love letter to Diablo and Hexen, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's called "The Inquisitor." and it's very good.

Pros:
-Absolutely gorgeous (as far as Doom WADs go) and there's a ton of it to play through.
-The levels and challenges are hard enough to be interesting, even if you play Doom religiously.
-Varied game styles, with some replayability. Inquisitor 1 has an interesting survival horror feel, Inquisitor 2 is very much a proof of concept for a Diablo-like in Doom, and Inquisitor 3 takes them both to the logical conclusion, while increasing the scope, visuals, and options (since you now have mutually exclusive build options.)

Cons:
-All text is translated from Russian, which I found hard to follow in some places. None of the voiced audio is translated, which means you miss out on a few important clues here and there.
-Sadly, no randomly generated levels, so while you can play through (at elast) part three with a few different playstyles, it's going to be the same levels every time, give or take the placement of enemies on different difficulties.

There is actually a small handful of programs that generate random Doom maps, but I suspect the amount of effort that would be necessary to get one of those to produce the kind of gorgeous levels with full quest scripting intact would be unfeasible. Still if you like Diablo, and/or you like Doom, this is totally worth checking out.

Danger-Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 21, 2017

Danger-Pumpkin
Apr 27, 2008

WELCOME TO THE BONE ZONE!

God, watching you comb through this, I can't believe how many hours I spent playing this game as a kid. It's all so janky in retrospect.

• Locked thread