Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Simply Simon posted:

You dropped all your poo poo on death so you had to go where you died naked (or with an extra set of gear?) and pick it up again. Also, friendly fire lol

It also had an extremely easy way to duplicate items without having to modify any game files or use third party programs, so very quickly it was easy to just join a game and find some guy throwing 50 Godly Plates of the Whale on the ground. Grab new gear from the pile if you die. :v:

The game really does have a serious nostalgia benefit to it though. The little mini-dungeon they added in D3 as an Event was actually pretty cool to see the little references they threw in that I remembered from my childhood, and the music was great. The Butcher will also stick in my memory forever due to the first time I ran into him. Right up there with the first boss of Wolfenstein 3D for surprise boss doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

suicidesteve posted:

Didn't you have to hack the Godly Plate of the Whale into the game anyway? I thought it couldn't actually drop normally.

Not that I recall? There were ones with hacked stats you could get that weren't legit, but I think the drop itself was possible.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

suicidesteve posted:

Google tells me that it's impossible for any monster or vendor in D1 to generate Godly and Whale on full plate because the item level is higher than they're able to drop/sell. So it was probably possible on lesser armor.

Could be, or I might be thinking of Lordly, which if I recall was the next step down from Godly. It was amusing that most of the best items in the game were just blue magic items.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Angry Lobster posted:

The worst part about rolling a mage is walking to Adria to replenish on mana potions, it takes forever. I heard the phrase "I sense a soul in search of answers" so many loving times it got stuck in my head for years.

Also relying on her for a specific spell book. Walk alllll the way there and nope, just three more copies of circle of flame or whatever.

• Locked thread