Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

I'm sure I don't need to introduce Diablo, the progenitor of its own game genre. Other games are described as Diablo-likes as a shorthand for how they play and what the systems inside are. So we're going to be taking a look at the game that started it all, the granddaddy of the point and click and loot genre.

This LP will follow the adventures of Rogue, the Rogue (so named because the official "canon" name is loving stupid) as she investigates the ruined cathedral in the vaguely Scotch-Irish town of Tristram. I'll be employing speed-ups and fade cuts liberally so as to keep things moving along at a decent clip. I'll also be joined by whoever signs up a bunch of guests, so expect to hear things repeated some.

I'm aiming to update twice a week, on Mondays and Thursdays.

Spoilers!?

Diablo is a 20 year old game, but I would rather not have stuff spoiled. There isn't a lot of story, so let's not spoil what little there is. To that end I would also greatly appreciate it if we didn't get into gigantic lore discussions. For the most part, the lore in this series is pretty bad and the games can be enjoyed without understanding a lick of it.

Also many people haven't played this game before, so let's not be a dick yeah?

Videos:

Videos:

Direct Link

Direct Link with YappingEevee

Direct Link with CirclMastr

Direct Link with Bohampscious

Direct Link with Zeratanis

Direct Link with Aces High

Direct Link with Aces High

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

You really should stay clear of yellow zombies, though. And I didn't relish learning that you had to save manually in Single Player because otherwise death is, well, Game Over.

:argh: Those yellow zombies! Diablo 1 didn't stray too far from its roguelike roots, and those assholes are the perfect example why. Each hit they land on you permanently removes 1 maximum HP. I've got the first four floors recorded and they thankfully haven't shown up yet.

sethimothy posted:

Will you be addressing the expansions like Hellfire?

Why do you think that the canon name of The Rogue is stupid? I was going to post it, but then I realized that it might be considered a spoiler. >.>

I don't plan to, no. I don't own a copy of Hellfire anymore, and from what I remember it was pretty mediocre anyway. Sierra developed it when the Diablo team didn't really have an interest in making an expansion, and it has none of the care put into the base game. There's a GDC retrospective out there on the first Diablo and in it the lead guy reveals he's still kind of mad at Sierra for their shoddy work on the expansion, if that tells you anything.

Also the canon name of the rogue, Moreina, is like the most fantasy rear end name ever. It's the sort of name you come up with for a RP character when you're 15.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Speaking of challenge, you're taking more damage from exploding barrels than you are enemies. Shoot them from a distance, you're a ranged character for a reason! :argh:

Attacking the barrels from range doesn't do anything. :( You've gotta run up to them to break them open unfortunately.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Because it's technically Thursday, even if it is 6:30 AM and I've long ago given up pretending I sleep like a normal human.

Direct Link

Today's update features the vocal talents of YappingEevee, and we take on the game's first boss The Butcher.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Cador_2004 posted:

Quick question. Will you be covering every quest?

I'm gonna do my best, yeah. Quests are more or less randomly chosen, but the presence of some locks out others. I used to have a fairly thick strategy guide for the game that described the quest relationships, but I haven't seen it in years.

For a quick and explanation, there's five quest "groups" and out of each group, one quest is omitted in every game. You can actually do a quick check for this by repeatedly starting a new game. The second group only has 2 members: either the Poisoned Water Well or the Curse of King Leoric. So if the well in the middle of town is blue, like it is in the LP, then you'll be facing the Skeleton King as a boss on level 3. If the well is full of unhealthy looking yellow water, then you instead get a(n infinitely easier) small mini-dungeon on level 2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Trying to get ahead of the Switch and Zelda releasing this coming week, I'm recording floors 5-8 tonight.

:frogsiren:

Just when you thought you were safe.

:gonk:

Spoilers, I guess, for the tileset of dungeon levels 5-8.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

CirclMaster joins me today as we venture down to floor 3, and take on the second boss of the game, the Skeleton King.

---

So speedups in the future will have semi-fitting music from other games in them, and I need your help to pick music to use! While I'd be more than happy to turn this into a "DoubleNegative uses their favorite music from La Mulana and Symphony of the Night" fest, I'm sure that would get old sooner rather than later. So I've blatantly stolen this idea from Artix instead.

https://goo.gl/forms/Xqtr1swCPlJwzt942

That is a link to a Google Form where you can anonymously drop links to youtube videos. If it's not music that will get me a copyright strike, I'll see that it gets added for future speed-up sections.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Simply Simon posted:

Holy Bolt spell (which, forgot to mention, absolutely is a spell in Diablo 2 as well)

:stare: Holy poo poo you're right. Shows how long it's been since I played a Paladin in Diablo 2.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue ventures down to level 4 today in order to retrieve an item stolen from the innkeeper. Featuring Shlapintogan / Bohampscious.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

General Antares posted:

Are you doing 2 and 3 solo as well or in multiplayer?

I'm planning on doing 2 solo, but the nature of 3 allows for drop-in multiplayer. So I won't turn anyone away if they show up to help kill some demons. The videos coming next week are solo, for what it's worth.

whitehelm posted:

In case anyone's curious, if you give the sign to Snotspill instead of taking it back to Ogden, he'll laugh at you then attack with the horde of Dark Ones anyway.

The quest would be a lot more interesting if Snotspill gave a different unique item as a reward for bringing him the "magic banner." Instead, you lose out the best early-game helmet, and a strong contender for one of the best helmets in the first difficulty mode.

+2 to all attributes is already nice, but it straight up reduces all incoming attacks by 1 point of damage.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

When would the decrease in armor rating it gives be a problem? Or what does it affect.

I think all it does is just decrease our armor value by 3. We're going to get an upgrade on floor 5 that gives a high amount of armor, so the -3 is almost immediately offset. We realistically won't be feeling the -3 until somewhere between floors 8 and 10.

I've actually got a helmet stashed away for the super late game that has a bunch of resistances on it. So my goal is to make the Harlequin Crest last until that point.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Today we make a brief side-trip to Diablo 3 to experience the 20th anniversary event that ran through all of January. Yapping Eevee joins again for this one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Goku ventures into level 2 of the Diablo 3 anniversary event, and I, badly, try to explain to CirclMastr why Diablo 3 is fun.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

Whoa how did this guy slip by me. I always like a good Diablo LP.

DoubleNegative your PMs aren't working, is there still room to sign up for commentary?

My PMs should be working. :confused:

Anyway, yeah there's still plenty of room. I meant to get commentary for 5-8 recorded last week, and then Zelda happened (and is still happening). So I haven't gotten anything recorded yet.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Bohampscious / Shlapintogan joins me again as Goku enters floor 3 and fights King Leoric again, except with a painfully slow weapon.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Angry Lobster posted:

What I remember the most was constantly dying to Lord De Seis in Chaos Sanctuary, the fucker who casted iron maiden. God, that loving game hated melee characters.

The developers removing the ability of monsters to cast Iron Maiden made the end parts of that game so much more playable.

Nordick posted:

Don't you loving talk poo poo about the Crusader you wretched knave :colbert:

:shobon: I really wanted to give Crusader an honest shot for the run that eventually became Goku's. I got all the way down to the third floor, to King Leoric's chamber, even. The thing about Leoric in this event is, he's actually pretty difficult, hands down the hardest boss we'll face. Bad luck meant that coming into the boss fight, I didn't have the gear necessary to kill skeletons before more were raised. It's something I didn't really touch on in the video, but he's a pretty tight damage check, and if you fail then you'll slowly get overwhelmed by more and more skeletons.

It was a pretty bad death and not worth the mounting frustration.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

It's Thursday morning, so that means it's time for the last adventure of Goku for a while. Down to floor 4 with CirclMastr once again.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Today Rogue leaves the upper floors of the dungeon and enters a new area. YappingEevee is also here to discuss Torchlight.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Bohapmscious / Shlapintogan returns once again for floor 6. Also included is the last proper quest Rogue will have in the catacombs, the Chamber of Bone.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

oh god, after that song coming up I foresee that song coming up. What movie was that from, I think Transformers?

The Black Knight 2000 music from this past video?

It's from the pinball table of the same name.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

No quests on floor 7, so instead me and Zeratanis shoot the poo poo for 12 minutes.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue finishes her journey through the catacombs today and meets one of the game's weirder "quests." Featuring special guest star Aces High.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue is halfway through the dungeon, so for now let's switch to Goku and catch him up. YappingEevee is also back for floor 5 of the Diablo 3 catacombs.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I'm recording the next four floors and I'm having some difficulties. Enough so that I'm taking a small break so that I don't get Mad At Video Games.

So here's a small video I threw together while eating dinner for you all to enjoy. I call it "Floor 10 is loving brutal."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_DBkv-p9Hw

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Zeratanis returns for Diablo 3, floor 6. Lots of talking about Diablo 3, but we're not discussing what's happening on screen.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

I find another legendary in this one. It's the one I've been talking about for a while now. Shlapintogan / Bohampscious is in this one too.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Aces High is back for Diablo 3, floor 8. We both have some reservations about Blizzard storytelling, so here's 7 minutes of catharsis.

This is also the halfway point of the LP! :toot:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Palladium posted:

Is there any other game besides D3 with damage/HP values spanning at least 10 magnitudes?

I feel compelled to post this for some reason. (Look carefully at the HP numbers)

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Ben Kasack posted:

I look at that pic and simply think: "Huh, wonder what Torment level that is. Gotta be 6+ easy."

That was the old Inferno difficulty from launch, when HP totals still used unsigned 32 bit integers.

Those hammer lords are completely invulnerable due to the HP value overflowing. If you look closely it says −2,147,483,648

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Rogue is back and today enters the caves. Zeratanis returns as well for the next several videos.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

No update today. The dog I've had for the past 18 years is dying, and I really don't feel like putting in effort for this right now. I'll have one up on Monday as usual.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Zeratanis returns for floor 10. We spend a lot of time discussing Dr Who.

The speed-up music was changed between actually commenting over the video and publishing it. It used to be Dance of Maria by Elias Rahbani, but the mere act of having it on a video got me a copyright strike. Not Content ID either. I mean an actual copyright violation strike.

Veloxyll posted:

Aww man. I came in at the worst time.

so uh. where does one pick up the old clickfest these days?

There used to be an ISO of the game on Archive.org. Not sure if that counts as :filez: or not.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

It seems so ridiculous that when you find whatever magic anvil, the blacksmith can only use it for you once and then never again. It's not like the anvil should break or lose its powers is it? Just let me craft a new drat weapon when I want to, take payment for it or whatever, but don't just stash that magic anvil and forget all about it.

I actually cut the audio out, but I mentioned something kind of similar during the Anvil of Fury briefing. I was kind of a dumb kid, and swore up one side and down the other that Griswold's selection got better after rescuing the Anvil. Probably just confirmation bias from his stock naturally improving by getting farther in the game.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Did you ever get Telekinesis? I remember that being pretty good for a few things like barrels, collecting loot piles, and earlier in the dungeon opening doors from longer distances and shooting at them.

I'm sure I have it, as Rogue's spell library is pretty impressive. I just don't have it hotkeyed.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Direct Link

Zeratanis returns for even more Diablo action. This was the third video we recorded in the session, so at this point we'd devolved into discussing Don Bluth, the Titanic, and Stephen King.

ps An American Tail and An American Tail: Fievel Goes West are on Netflix. So, y'know, it's like your duty to go watch those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Aces High posted:

one of the things that sucks about An American Tail is that the only version you can see now is a "remade" one that adds a lot of extra sound effects that were kind of inappropriate. That and when Fievel is in Orphan Alley they redubbed the voices of the kids and...they do not sound like kids anymore and it takes away some of the gravity of the scene.

I am also one of those people who saw sequels first as a kid, I saw The Rescuers Down Under first, Fievel Goes West, T2, poo poo Undiscovered Country was the first Star Trek movie I ever saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCgWnA2cprg

The VHS version is indeed a lot better. And, yeah, same. I didn't mention it in the video, but I'm kind of the same way. Saw Aliens long before I saw Alien. T2 before The Terminator, Star Wars 4, 5, 6 before 1, 2, 3... :v:

• Locked thread