Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

sethimothy posted:

Will you be addressing the expansions like Hellfire?

Why do you think that the canon name of The Rogue is stupid? I was going to post it, but then I realized that it might be considered a spoiler. >.>
Actually, all three vanilla characters are named after what could be considered spoilers:
- Sorceror: Daddy Darth
- Rogue: Aeris Dies
- Warrior: Bruce Williswasaghostallalong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

I was SUPER into Diablo 2 as a teen, it was basically the only game I played for years, and I still get itches to revisit every now and then (though usually I'll just Start Another Character in Dark Souls instead); in 2010ish, I saw Diablo 1 randomly on sale somewhere and figured why the hell not. One would expect that going back from 2 to 1 would make the experience miserable, but it really isn't? I'm not gonna say that D1 has aged perfectly well or anything - it is, however, perfectly playable. There aren't even that many things you should really know about before you start, something I can't claim for, say, Fallout 2.

(to put that into context: I bought FO2 a few years later, same "hey it's on sale why not" deal, and I had absolutely zero idea what I was doing, what was going on, how to even play the game, and got my rear end handed to me repeatedly until I quit in frustration. Don't get me started on Baldur's Gate 2.)

It's really just simple enough to not overwhelm you, complex enough to be intriguing, and simply good enough to not be a chore. Even back then, Blizzard knew what they were doing in making accessible games.

You really should stay clear of yellow zombies, though. And I didn't relish learning that you had to save manually in Single Player because otherwise death is, well, Game Over.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

:argh: Those yellow zombies! Diablo 1 didn't stray too far from its roguelike roots, and those assholes are the perfect example why. Each hit they land on you permanently removes 1 maximum HP. I've got the first four floors recorded and they thankfully haven't shown up yet.
I'm 90% sure you're safe forever now, because in true questionable game design fashion they only show up on the second-ish floor (and only 50%) so that if you do look up something later you'll realize you have had your character hosed LONG ago...
EDIT: They can appear from level 3-5, I looked it up. You're not in the clear yet!

DoubleNegative posted:

Also the canon name of the rogue, Moreina, is like the most fantasy rear end name ever. It's the sort of name you come up with for a RP character when you're 15.
As opposed to "literally the guy's name" Aidan and "Chaotic Neutral" Jazreth?

Name sillyness aside, I really enjoyed the first video - you have a good handle on when to speed up and cut already, I think. Looking forward to more!

Another aside: I did first play as Warrior and got only until too many enemies with range attacks and no cover showed up, until then it was ALSO a chore but doable, you're quite correct that Rogue is the way to go. Finished the game with her, but later returned as Warrior with more knowledge and some carefully chosen support spells to do it again. People swear by Sorcerer to break the game wide open but I hate the early game and think the breaking requires too much effort as opposed to, you know, just clicking on dudes.

Simply Simon fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 21, 2017

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

Also if I remember right, online didn't randomize the quests so you always got the same set. It also had death that wasn't a game over, and other people in the dungeon with you, so the feel of it was radically different
You dropped all your poo poo on death so you had to go where you died naked (or with an extra set of gear?) and pick it up again. Also, friendly fire lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

May God have mercy on your max HP

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

First unique monster? Poor Deadeye gets no respect.

The worst Shrine effect you were thinking of is +2 to the Firebolt spell (which is, like, THE most basic spell) while reducing your max Mana by 10%. Others are same penalty, but Holy Bolt spell (which, forgot to mention, absolutely is a spell in Diablo 2 as well) and Charged Bolt.

One should always have a guide open with the Shrine effects, basically. Even if you're only using it for the positive ones that otherwise would be wasted, like identifying all your items.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

DoubleNegative posted:

Direct Link

Goku ventures into level 2 of the Diablo 3 anniversary event, and I, badly, try to explain to CirclMastr why Diablo 3 is fun.
Let me try for anyone watching. Key to understanding Diablo 3's on paper weird-rear end level scaling is that originally, the game tried to do things normally, Diablo 2 style, and it failed at that. It already had the gameplay of a slick, flexible, super dynamic action game, but STILL wanted, no, needed the player to farm for hours and hours with very low drop chances to get gear to even come close to progressing further in the highest difficulty. Inferno was stupidly unfun to play and drew a lot of flak, very deservedly. I still liked the game in general because I've never been one to push Diablo to the limits - I have probably started at least 30 characters in Diablo 2 but brought at max TWO of them above level 80 - so I'd just start a new char class in D3 and hosed around with that. But for many people, something was deeply wrong because D3 didn't really know what it wanted to be at all.

This is why they introduced the level scaling thing. See, the key issue with challenge in a Diablo game is that it doesn't actually need to be there. People spent ages figuring out the absolute best ways to farm bosses and levels (so...more bosses) and cows and poo poo in Diablo 2 so they could avoid challenge - make characters better and better and better and drive the numbers up so everything dies from you looking at it funny! That is why you play these hack&slash games, they're not meant to be Dark Souls difficult, you just want to mutilate thousands of demons in milliseconds.

But on the OTHER hand, Diablo 2 had always the problem of where to go next. Once your build was finished, you could only push numbers further, and that meant optimizing some items slots that were 99.999% perfect anyway, and get some more stats that honestly mattered jackshit, and so on. The endgame was terrible unless you were REALLY into Baal runs because you could do nothing BUT endlessly farm - and that is truly not everybody's cookie.

Enter The Solution: level scaling and adjustable difficulty. Diablo 3 is completely removed from being a standard RPG now. In fact, it no longer needs a story mode. If you have finished that once, you can start a new character, put it in the new Adventure Mode that everyone plays at, and just go wherever, immediately. This is how you fight the final boss at level 1 - you just go there. Everytime you start the game, there's different objectives you can finish in the entire game world, and those "bounties" give you rewards mostly in the form of items - one legendary (Unique) guaranteed. You can gamble for set and legendary items with a VERY high chance. You can MAKE legendaries with a simple recipe.

The idea is you start the game and within one or two play sessions, you are at max level, and within another play session you have half of a super endgame set and the best weapon (sans uber stats!) you could possibly have. You can have any build you want with just a few hours of investment, you no longer have to farm for months just to trade for ONE item (which, in D2's case, might just be duped). In fact, you can't trade at all anymore. You will find your poo poo though, guaranteed.

Then you experiment, because you can switch your build anytime. Element, as said, doesn't matter. Fire char? Whatever. Nothing's immune. Bored of setting things on fire? A few clicks, and you freeze them instead. Found an amazing Arcane weapon? Do that instead! And while you're toying, you slowly get better and better stuff. You finish the endgame set. And you gain levels beyond the normal maximum, that raise you stats sloooooowly but surely higher and higher and higher.

NOW you start challenging yourself. You can put the difficulty as high as you want. It's not just Normal, Nightmare and Hell - the scale has NO UPPER END. Can you finish a bounty run on Torment level 50? Can you survive against crazy Uber bosses for sick drops in a group of four people...at Torment 40? Do you want to risk it? How high does the slider go? Will this new ring allow you to put one more notch on it?

As you can see, Diablo 3 has gone full arcade, and I love it for that. It's now completely different from D2, and that's a good thing - everything that was like D2 dragged it down because it always wanted to be its own thing. Now it finally is, and it owns. Slice those monsters, push those Torment levels. Just don't worry about "ugh but my levels don't matter anymore???" - that's the point!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

One problem with D3 though is that the end game consists of nothing but endless rift runs for higher torment difficulties and that's it. And it's somewhat obvious that the devs have no idea what to really do as well with the game considering the latest addition is simply another tier of Ancients and that seems to be it.
What do you propose they DO do? I don't care for the rift runs, so I just start getting the equipment for a new build, maybe even start a new character because I still haven't played them all. I do realize that some people have already played every character to their max level, gotten every single set with amazing stats, have all the unique items cubed, and those people, yes, they can JUST do rift runs and "that's it". But is that really a problem? For anyone playing in a semi-sane way, there's always something else to do. Hell, if you're really bored, play Hardcore. Or, heavens forbid, a different game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Crusader's amazing, and I hated Paladins in D2. The only class I don't really like in D3 is Barbarian, don't even really know why. Something about their playing rhythm.

Also, I always wanted to play a Thorns build but it was never good, and then Blizzard massively buffed Thorns by giving many classes dedicated skill runes to play off Thorns damage, and so the last time I played D3 in earnest, I could play a Thorns Crusader and was so loving happy. You can have a THORN HORSE and throw THORN BARRELS from the sky!

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Sorry for the late reply, I simply forgot for a while that you had asked a question :shobon:.

I don't know the timeframe, because I too had stopped playing for a bit. I vividly remember the terrible period when farming the highly-populated areas of Act 3 was the best thing to do, simply because more enemies, no matter how weak, meant the most chances for Legendaries to drop because the drop rates for boss enemies were higher, but still comically low. You also only had a few very specialized builds that could even do that sort of speedfarming; I got a single great item which I could sell for a lot of gold and kitted out a Wizard that did nothing but spam spells to lower cooldowns to spam more spells, so I was basically just hammering buttons as fast as I could until my fingers burned. That was completely unfun (and later even got nerfed) and I just stopped playing for a good while.

At some point later my friends then told me that there had been a massive overhaul, that Adventure mode was super cool and good, and that they were starting the new ladder and we should do that together and I got back into the game. They were right, it's insanely better now. That was probably the biggest change, I want to say one or one and a half years ago? Maybe even a little longer. After that came smaller, but also very welcome changes like the ability to extract unique powers from Legendary Items (stuff like "your Monk kick now also spawns a highly-damaging Fireball when you do it" or "burning enemies take 20% more damage"), so you could destroy a bad Legendary with a good ability to extract that power, slap it passively onto you, wear a great Legendary with an okay ability and have both of them at the same time (so each kick does a Fireball to burn enemies that then take more damage). Legendaries even having interesting abilities to enable creative builds is also a new thing, of course, but now it's really kicked into overdrive. And you get so many of them that you can actually toy around. I started the game fresh on PS4 about two weeks ago, playing after work, and am now rocking a Monk (got inspired by the thread after all...) whose Tempest Rush gets extra crit chance if hitting 3 or fewer enemies (so...a single boss, for example), also does more damage to frozen enemies, and I got gloves who make it that I got a 50% chance to freeze enemies when damaging them with Cold. My Tempest Rush does Cold damage. And I'm just starting out; soon I will change the build completely because I'm finding pieces of a set that lets me apply Exploding Palm to enemies just by hitting them three times with Spirit Generators (a single full combo), and also use Seven-Sided Strike to immediately trigger the explosion.

The set needs a helm, and there is another helm that makes it so Seven-Sided Strike also applies Exploding Palm; but I can just extract the power of the latter, put it on me and still wear the full set. It's nuts, but so loving good.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Melee combat also requires proper positioning and spacing, it's just different. Especially later you can't just expect to tank everything unless you build your character juuuust right, and even early on with a melee dude you'd be well served to lure enemies into coming at you in a straight line, blocking doorways and even swinging at the air so they run into your weapon, dying before even getting a chance to hit you. It's less about getting the angle correct, it's all about where to make your stand at all. Considering you can't RUN and most enemies are as quick as you are, it's...a challenge, sometimes.

Also, my first run with a Warrior ended when facing down lightning-lobbing assholes on the other side of a river of flame; I couldn't do anything to even get to them and that kinda was IT. You really need a plan B for that, and the Rogue just laughs and starts shooting instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Imagine This Without A Ranged Option: The Authentic Warrior Experience

Other games have difficulty spikes, this one has a difficulty Mount Everest. But it's okay! You have a bow :).

• Locked thread