Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

suicidesteve posted:

It's more realistic this way. If you bash a barrel with a club it'll probably break. Shoot it with an arrow, not so much.

You just need to score a critical hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Man, the thing that always cheesed me off the most about D2 was the miserly drop rates on everything. I had a friend who once calculated that if he wanted to find a certain rune without playing multiplayer, he'd have to play for literal weeks of in-game time doing nothing but grinding the best rune drop spot. And that was just the rarest of the multiple rare runes needed to make the runeword he wanted.

It's like, even ignoring the "grind for ages to get the theoretically best possible item", just being able to see any version of the upper two-thirds of the unique and set items required you to grind for ages and ages and ages. In my entire "career" of playing D2 for years, including a decent amount of time on Hell difficulty, I saw one Goldstrike Arch and one Shako and that was it for tier-3 uniques.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Simply Simon posted:

Crusader's amazing, and I hated Paladins in D2.

Paladin was my first class in D2. My only "AoE" was their rapid-attack skill (Zeal?) and I didn't realize you could put it on LMB, so it was mutually-exclusive with auras. The last three acts were a massive slog of hiding in a corner and slowly wearing down enemies while spamming healing potions. :negative:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

I ended up in a similar situation as a warrior in the caverns with those poison spitting assholes. I bought the best bow I could equip and fired until into space until they died. The warrior is.... not good with the bow.

If I recall correctly, each class has "attack speed" modifications for each of melee, bow, and spell. Warrior has the fastest melee, middling bow, and slow spellcasting, rogue swaps melee/bow, and wizard...I don't know what their melee/bow look like but they probably suck. :v: Anyway, point is that the warrior isn't awful with a bow and in fact will probably need to rely on one semi-frequently in the later levels. Especially if the level has succubi on it.

The real problem with using a bow as the warrior is that there's no fast weapon switching in the game. You have to go into your inventory, unequip your weapon/shield, equip the bow, kill things, unequip bow, and equip weapon/shield. Then do it all over again when you find another succubus.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

They did fix that in D2 with Charsi's special smithing thing from what I can remember.

No, she'll still only enchant an item once for you.

• Locked thread