Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Please, can any free agent RB come to the Chargers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

a neat cape posted:

I hear Trent Richardson's available. Or at least will be if he doesn't go to jail.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a neat cape posted:

Are you already back on the Gordon hate train

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hot Diggity! posted:

I can't believe the Packers would do this

I can't believe the NOFX would do this.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Intruder posted:

Are you already back on the Gordon hate train

He's bad and was a stupid pick

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

He's bad and was a stupid pick

It's interesting that he was much better than Todd Gurley last year. I mean yeah he has an actual quarterback and passing game and for all the faults in San Diego last year they weren't coached by Jeff Fisher and whatever he was trying to do on offense. But it's still kinda interesting.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

It's interesting that he was much better than Todd Gurley last year. I mean yeah he has an actual quarterback and passing game and for all the faults in San Diego last year they weren't coached by Jeff Fisher and whatever he was trying to do on offense. But it's still kinda interesting.

He was also shoved into the role of an every down back because literally everyone else got hurt so they had no choice but to put him out there.

He had the same problems he had last year, he just had more opportunity and a better run blocking OL

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Patriots have a ton of Free agents, many of which who will leave and get paid, so I figure I'd run them down:

In descending importance:

1) Dont'a Hightower ILB, Age 26. One of the best non-pass rushing focused linebackers in football, extremely versatile, and has made game saving plays in two separate superbowls. He's going to get a Kuechly sized contract most likely. Has some health issues, but is absolutely an excellent, pro-bowl caliber player. Should be paid like a top non-pass rushing LB, and will be.

2) Malcolm Butler, CB, 26. He'd be the top corner on the market, but he's a RFA, so will almost certainly be with the Patriots next year. He's not some amazing shut down corner, but he's a good 2nd tier guy who would likely end up paid like a top tier guy if he made it to FA.

3) Logan Ryan, CB, 26. He's an odd guy, simultaneously overrated and underrated depending on who you talk to, as he's typically a heavily targeted player in the secondary, but is an extremely versatile player who is a very good second cornerback. Likely to leave and be paid like a #1 corner, and that would be a mistake, but he should probably be near the top of the #2's.

4) Martellus Bennett, TE, 30. A very solid tight end looking to cash in on his last chance for a money deal. Well rounded, good blocker, good receiver and despite battling leg injuries all year, had 66 receptions / 800 yards / 7 TD's. Shouldn't be paid like the top TE's, but should be looking at a realistically 3 year deal that puts him around the bottom of the top 5.

5) Alan Branch, DT, 32. An aging run stuffer coming off a very good season. He should fetch a contract a modest bit higher then the Vince Wilfork Texans' deal. He's bounced around the league a bit over the years, but is exactly the kind of guy you want clogging the middle on run downs.

6) Sebastian Vollmer, RT, 32. Suffered a back injury in the preseason and missed the year. he's a very good RT when healthy, but he's 32 and has had recurring back injuries. The Patriots no longer need him since Marcus Cannon took his job, but he's an intriguing option for a tackle starved league. He's an awful LT, don't try him there, but he should fetch a SHORT moderately high paying deal if he wishes to continue to play.

7) Jabaal Sheard, DE, 27. Picked up from the Browns three years ago on a ~$5m per deal and was a very good rotational piece his first two years, mostly subbing in across from Chandler Jones or coming in as an extra rusher. After that, they traded Chandler Jones thinking Sheard could play a larger role and he could not. For teams that want a rotational pass rusher with solid production, he's a good option.

8) Chris Long, DE, 31. Hey, you know how the Patriots' pass rush kinda sucked this year? Chris Long played a lot. He's more or less cooked, but he's probably capable of being a modestly productive sub pass rusher still.

9) LeGarratte Blount, RB, 30. A giant bruising RB like they used to make back in the 90's. He's not particularly good until the second half when you want to grind the opposing defense into dust while nursing a two score lead. He's a head case (just ask Pittsburgh.. or Tampa), so will probably just re-sign with the Pats for the last few years he has.

10) James Develin, FB, 28. He's a fullback. A pretty good one, that catches very few passes and never carries the ball. A useful piece that no one pays much or expects much from.

11) Duron Harmon, SS, 26. Nickel safety, not a particularly good one, also plays ST. The definition of depth.

12) Michael Floyd, WR, 27. Crashed and burned heavily this year. Had a couple of good plays against the Dolphins in week 17, but will definitely need to sign a prove it deal and hope to hit free agency in 1-2 years as the player he was before 2016.

13) Barkevious Mingo, LB, 26. ST guy, no good as even a sub on D. Will probably make a living for a few more years ruining his body doing that, then be done.

14) Brandon Bolden, RB, 27. See above

15) Cameron Fleming, T, 24. An extremely bad tackle who is a RFA and probably won't be tendered. He's a camp body for whomever needs. Don't let him actually start or your QB will die.

The Patriots are most likely to focus on signing Butler, Hightower and Branch of the top guys, along with Blount, Develin and maybe some of the other cheap guys on the low end.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I can definitely see them rolling the dice on Floyd with a low risk prove it deal full of incentives.

Blount's agent needs to tell him to shut up. Dude has publicly committed to return to the Patriots to the point where he's going to end up with a Teddy Bruschi contract.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I can definitely see them rolling the dice on Floyd with a low risk prove it deal full of incentives.

Blount's agent needs to tell him to shut up. Dude has publicly committed to return to the Patriots to the point where he's going to end up with a Teddy Bruschi contract.

Bruschi's contract was hella stupid for awhile at like a rolling series of $2m per year deals.

I don't think Blount has broken $1m yet with the Pats, heh.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Kalli posted:

13) Barkevious Mingo, LB, 26. ST guy, no good as even a sub on D. Will probably make a living for a few more years ruining his body doing that, then be done.

Never has the name metric had such a poor showing post-draft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Denver is longer a team that is in win-now mode, they still have 3-4 really great defensive players and a few good receivers but that's really it. any new Denver QB will have to deal with a new HC/OC implementing their system in year 1, and there's no offensive line, no run game.
That Defense also might take a step back without Wade Phillips.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

Never has the name metric had such a poor showing post-draft.

Seriously. Like this guy was significantly worse in the little time he played / preseason then Shea McClellin.

But if you want a dude who can play ST, he's a fine body.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

floyd is so bad at catching the ball in his 4th? year. he's built bigger than larry but it never really shows up outside of the 2 plays on the pats, and for whatever reason he doesn't run routes or block inside. he can make these ridiculous juggling circus catches but if you threw it to larry he'd just clamp down on the ball and catch it the first time. floyd is a nice complimentary piece but he's really only good as a 3rd receiver that teams will lose in coverage once or twice a game for big plays. think a andre roberts or steve breaston role but in a completely different style.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Isn't Floyd almost surely going to be gone for a year no matter what? Or did his previous DUI not count for NFL disciplinary reasons since he was still in college?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I have a weird feeling Cutler will end up back in Denver

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Isn't Floyd almost surely going to be gone for a year no matter what? Or did his previous DUI not count for NFL disciplinary reasons since he was still in college?

the rumors have only been "multi game suspension", and he's already started his 120 day jail sentence

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Bills actually have a lot of free agents, but only a few of them are notable(the rest are depth).

CB Stephon Gilmore - Good CB1 who will soon be a very wealthy man. Kind of reminds me of Antoine Winfield: covers and tackles well, but doesn't get a lot of picks. Does seem to be nicked up a lot.

QB E.J. Manuel - Sometimes, E.J. Manuel looks like he could be a starting quarterback. Unfortunately, he is much more likely to over/underthrow screen passes, sail passes over the middle, stare down a receiver, and/or fumble. Seems to get frustrated when things go bad and starts forcing throws. So, basically a back-up quarterback. Good size and mobility.

WR Percy Harvin - He may play half a game next year.

DT Corbin Bryant - Capable rotational lineman who has experience playing 4-3 DT, 3-4 DE, and 3-4 NT.

RT Jordan Mills - Below-average starter who has kept his position because Seantrel Henderson smokes weed and has Crohn's, which makes him the devil incarnate in Roger Goodell's eyes. Would probably be a good back-up or stop-gap.

RB Reggie Bush - He's done.

WR Justin Hunter - Does all the things a receiver should do, except catch. Actually started games for us because he was virtually the only wide receiver who managed to stay healthy all year.

LB Zach Brown - Fast, agile linebacker who has a knack for finding ballcarriers. Tackles well and covers ok.

WR Robert Woods - Good WR2. Not exceptionally fast or strong, but tough and agile. Also sometimes manages to make circus catches.

FB Jerome Felton - Remembered how to play fullback.

LB Lorenzo Alexander - Excellent pass rusher with a knack for stripping the ball. Has played a half dozen different positions, so he could probably manage being a DE in a 4-3.

DL Leger Douzable - Just a guy.

S James Ihedigbo - He's old, but he's still the best safety on this list.

S Robert Blanton - Tackles ok, but couldn't cover a paper bag.

S Corey White - I don't even know who this is. He's probably bad.

LB Lerentee McCray - I don't remember him doing anything.

WR Brandon Tate - Probably our 4th best receiver. Isn't good, got hurt.

LB Brandon Spikes - He fell off a cliff, it seems.

S Sergio Brown - All these stop-gap safeties. The fact that we have so many should tell how good they are.

WR Marquise Goodwin - Extremely fast wide receiver who ends up on IR as quickly as he gets downfield.

TE Chris Gragg - Spent this year on IR, nursing an ACL(IIRC). Before that, he seemed like a good 2nd TE.

S Jonathan Meeks - Was so bad we signed Robert Blanton, Corey White, Sergio Brown, and James Ihedigbo. But I guess he beat out Duke Williams, who got cut during the year.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I'd take the under on Percy

For the rest of his life

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/834179697315545089

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/834179832669933568

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/834180000131719169

https://twitter.com/jeffdarlington/status/834180393293209600

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/834190439691460609

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/allbrightnfl/status/834189522116165632

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
LORD YES

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/834194620674371585

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Holy poo poo, Jay Cutler "Don't Give a gently caress"-ed his way to a no trade clause.

A hero for our time.

Nov 6, 2002

Yesss

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't know if I posted that or wrote it then deleted it a few days ago, but I said or meant to say that cutler is exactly the kind of guy the Jets FO/ coaches would go get to try and save their jobs.

Nov 6, 2002

Yet Cutler is exactly the kind of guy who gets FO's and coaches fired. Bad enough to throw games away, good enough to not be a scapegoat.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Browns free agency is pretty boring outside of one obvious case. Pretty minimal on number anyway I don't expect many back with 11 picks as it stands.

Tramon Williams (CB): He’s startable not good enough to match up against top talent but could help while a rookie transitions. Not a must have but would be nice.

:siren:Terrelle Pryor (WR):siren: : Word is that he wants to stay long term and has made it clear to his agents thank the football gods. Clear #1 WR finishing with 1000 yards during the QB holocaust.

Britton Colquitt (punter)

Austin Pasztor (OL): depth guy that got pressed into service at tackle with the departure of Schwartz and the draftees not being immediate starters. Didn’t get injured, is 26 and competent depth if nothing else.

Stephen Paea (DE): depth guy at best. He’s nothing special and will probably not be retained with Meder having a competent season, Ogbah likely moving to DE (he was selected as a pass rushing 3-4 OLB to replace/compete with Kruger), Nassib and the presumed selection of Myles Garret.

Jordan Poyer (S): We’re expected to take a safety at #12 for multiple reasons.

Austin Davis (QB): depth during the QB holocaust. Probably brought back on minimum to fight for QB 2 or 3 with McCown getting cut.

Josh Gordon (WR): Probably booted from the league. He’s an RFA so there’s a very loving long shot we throw a cheap prove it deal at him but unlikely for obvious reasons. Here’s hoping you get sober someday Josh.

Marcus Burley (CB): depth guy that I didn’t know existed till I double checked the list of free agents this year.

Isaiah Crowell (RB): did have a PR incident with the Cleveland PD that would’ve gone utterly and completely missed if it didn’t happen the same day as the Dallas shooting. He was the lead back in the duo that achieved a 40 year high in team run average. Wasn’t a part of the problem this season and never has been. He’s an RFA that I’d expect to be back but could face real competition if we take a late round RB.

Edit: gently caress my list didn't have all the RFA's

Jamie Meder AKA The Pierogi Prince of Parma (DL): Will be retained as a hometown kid and a case of "what have you done for me lately?" for blocking a last second field goal leading to the single Browns victory. He's well liked among the fans.

George Atkinson (RB): depth guy that will lose his spot if we draft an RB.

Raijon Neal (RB): another depth guy that might have dressed week 17.

Gabe Wright (DL): depth guy behind a surprisingly competent Danny Shelton this year. Will get a chance to fight for a spot on the new 4-3 defense.

Rannell Hall (WR): depth guy that's played 1 game. Easily replaced with a UDFA.

Mario Alford (WR): depth guy 1 catch for 15 yards in 2 seasons. easily replaced.

Dylan Wynn (DL): depth guy that's played 4 games.

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 22, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Cutler is exactly the kind of guy who gets FO's and coaches fired. Good enough to not be a scapegoat, bad enough to throw games away.

firing coaches and FOs you say

*Jed York rubs hands together*

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I bet Brandon Marshall would welcome Cutty back with open arms. If Forte stays put then Marty Bennett might even come around and give the Jets a shot.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Three teams. If this happens, Cutler will have thrown to Marshall on THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

fsif posted:

Three teams. If this happens, Cutler will have thrown to Marshall on THREE DIFFERENT TEAMS.

thats bad rear end.

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Yet Cutler is exactly the kind of guy who gets FO's and coaches fired. Bad enough to throw games away, good enough to not be a scapegoat.

Emery, Trestman, Kromer, Tice and Turner did that to themselves more than anything.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

fsif posted:

That rules

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

fsif posted:

I'm sure this time it'll work out.

troofs
Feb 28, 2011

The better Manning.
Some giants free agency stuff:
The JPP thing will be interesting, he's going to get some fairly heavy interest from other teams and I'm not sure how much the giants will want to pay.

I really hope the giants keep Hankins around, but recent history (Barry Cofield, Linval Joseph) says they probably won't want to pay for him, either.

Similarly, Keenan Robinson is probably gone because the giants value LBs about as highly as they value dirt, and Robinson is pretty good. Sheppard is also ok, but he'll probably get more interest elsewhere. There's a bunch of other LBs they might keep around because they all play special teams and they'll be cheap since nobody else will want them, but they might just let them go as well. It doesn't really matter.

The OL trio of Will Beatty, Marshall Newhouse and Jon Jerry are all old, mediocre at best, and frequently injured so I doubt the giants will want to keep them around unless it's a depth signing for peanuts.

Might as well bring back Zak DeOssie and Robbie Gould. I doubt they'll cost anything. Kerry Wynn and Orleans Darkwa also might stay but I don't know if the giants match if somebody else offers something.

Bobby Rainey should have been cut on the sideline of the playoff game after his stupid-rear end punt return. Ryan Nassib should have been bagging groceries years ago and if he is re-signed I will be very mad on the internet. Trevin Wade really sucks as anything more than a 4th/5th corner, and I hope the giants go elsewhere for depth.

The fact that the giants re-signed both Will Tye and Matt LaCosse is slightly worrying to me because I'd like them to draft a TE. It doesn't hurt to have insurance I guess, and LaCosse was on IR all last year so maybe he's secretly good.

troofs fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 22, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

I'm always amused at how much angst Cutler causes wherever he goes. He's been exactly the same player his entire career, and his efficiency stats always hang around the league average +/- a small margin, but everyone gets super outraged that he's not something different from what he's always been.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
cutler rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sean10mm posted:

I'm always amused at how much angst Cutler causes wherever he goes. He's been exactly the same player his entire career, and his efficiency stats always hang around the league average +/- a small margin, but everyone gets super outraged that he's not something different from what he's always been.

I think it's because, especially earlier in his career he'd flash and show you some really impressive poo poo.

And then he'd shrug as he jogs to the sideline after whipping a pass right to an underneath LB.

And you'd sit there thinking, someday he'll read that properly and then he'll be like, I dunno, Carson Palmer good.

• Locked thread