Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

I'm always amused at how much angst Cutler causes wherever he goes. He's been exactly the same player his entire career, and his efficiency stats always hang around the league average +/- a small margin, but everyone gets super outraged that he's not something different from what he's always been.
He was amazing in 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Are the Bears just all in on Matt Barkley?

They will overpay for Jimmy G wont they...

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Eli Wiggum posted:

He was amazing in 2008

His career average passer rating is 85.7.

His passer rating in 2008 was... 86.0.

All his stats that season are like that, except he threw more often than usual for him. Completion %, yards/attempt, interception rate... all his usual.

It was just generic Jay Cutler. It's always just generic Jay Cutler. :effort:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

sean10mm posted:

All his stats that season are like that, except he threw more often than usual for him. Completion %, yards/attempt, interception rate... all his usual.

You can post all the numbers you want but it won't change my opinion that the '08 Broncos on offense were really fun to watch. Too bad it was offset by one of the worst defenses of all time.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

sean10mm posted:

Million dollar arm. 10 cent brain. Jay Cutler.

Has there been anyone in the league that has had as many "maybe this is the year he puts it all together" seasons as Jay Cutler? I mean, it's been literally every year with him lol

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Jeff George?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Athanatos posted:

How good does Jimmy G really have to be to be worth a 1 and a 4 with one cheap year still left on his contract?

I guess better than Trevor Siemian would be good enough.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Jeff George?

I dunno...I feel like people knew who Jeff George was pretty early on but I could be wrong. Jay just seems to elicit glimmers of hope year after year, it's pretty funny.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Athanatos posted:

they don't have a clue or a plan and have an incompetent front office, so they're probably all in on Jimmy G

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

He was also shoved into the role of an every down back because literally everyone else got hurt so they had no choice but to put him out there.

He had the same problems he had last year, he just had more opportunity and a better run blocking OL

The trade up for him was dumb, but overall Gordon's on pace to become a pretty fine RB. His vision got a lot better last year, he's a more decisive runner and he made huge strides in the passing game.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

GaussianCopula posted:

How good does Jimmy G really have to be to be worth a 1 and a 4 with one cheap year still left on his contract?

I guess better than Trevor Siemian would be good enough.

Ah yes 1 year of "slightly better than a 7th round pick" is certainly worth a 1+4

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

An above average starting QB is worth the world. An average or below one is worth next to nothing.

To win a Superbowl you just need so many things to go right, and the worse your QB, the more and faster those things that need to go right stack up. That's what makes a QB like Jay Cutler so relatively worthless now. He used to be an average QB who could iron out the flaws in his game and step up, but now he's in his mid 30's and never did, so he's now just a stopgap or hail mary.

--------------------

I don't see a team trading a first for Jimmy because we know what his college career was worth: A late 2nd round pick. Now you trade 3 years of dirt cheap contract for 3 years of age, some mediocre preseason and cleanup snaps starts and 1.5 healthy games this year where he looked like a capable NFL quarterback. Is that worth upgrading a late 2nd to a first? I find that a hard argument to buy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The question isn't if trading the farm for a Patriots backup QB is smart. The question is if any team is stupid enough to do it.

(Looks around the NFL)

Um...

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Kalli posted:

I don't see a team trading a first for Jimmy because we know what his college career was worth: A late 2nd round pick. Now you trade 3 years of dirt cheap contract for 3 years of age, some mediocre preseason and cleanup snaps starts and 1.5 healthy games this year where he looked like a capable NFL quarterback. Is that worth upgrading a late 2nd to a first? I find that a hard argument to buy.

See, now this is an intelligent argument, but NFL GMs see "TOM BRADY BACKUP!? Coached by the greatest coach of all time?" and think: CAN'T MISS!

It's a sickness. They look at the past guys, and assume this time will be different. This is the Brady backup that will break the mold.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Jay Cutler is still this guy:

https://youtu.be/-DPBgqKwvDs

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Athanatos posted:

They will pay just enough for AJ McCarron.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kalli posted:

An above average starting QB is worth the world. An average or below one is worth next to nothing.

To win a Superbowl you just need so many things to go right, and the worse your QB, the more and faster those things that need to go right stack up. That's what makes a QB like Jay Cutler so relatively worthless now. He used to be an average QB who could iron out the flaws in his game and step up, but now he's in his mid 30's and never did, so he's now just a stopgap or hail mary.

--------------------

yet if cutler had been on the texans this year maybe they win the superbowl, ala flacco w/ the ravens or eli and giants. i used to think a great QB was needed but you just need 3 good games in a row (which, to be fair, is something cutler seems incapable of doing despite him being statistically better than flacco and eli overall)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

yet if cutler had been on the texans this year maybe they win the superbowl, ala flacco w/ the ravens or eli and giants. i used to think a great QB was needed but you just need 3 good games in a row (which, to be fair, is something cutler seems incapable of doing despite him being statistically better than flacco and eli overall)

Yeah, and one of the things that didn't go right for the Texans was they bet wrong on a backup of a great QB, and whoops, now their salary cap is hosed for two years.

Like the Raiders this year were probably the second best team in the AFC, and had no chance to win the superbowl because the best pass blocking oline in footbal collapsed at the wrong moment and Derek Carr died a few weeks before the playoffs started.

Hell, a significant chunk of why the Falcons lost the Superbowl was because their RT and a RB got injured in the first half and then the backups hosed up their blocking assignment on a play, and Ryan gets strip sacked as he's trying to throw a deep bomb to a wide open receiver.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

List of free agent QBs/trade targets I'd take over Brock

- all of them

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Kalli posted:

Hell, a significant chunk of why the Falcons lost the Superbowl was because their RT and a RB got injured in the first half and then the backups hosed up their blocking assignment on a play, and Ryan gets strip sacked as he's trying to throw a deep bomb to a wide open receiver.

God. DAMNIT, Kalli! :argh:

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Intruder posted:

- all of them

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Intruder posted:

- all of them

What about one Matt Schaub?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yes

King Hong Kong posted:

What about one Matt Schaub?

Yes

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I thought this was a Chernoff face at first.

Someone who knows how should do that with NFL quarterbacks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
The Texans should trade for Philip Rivers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

a neat cape posted:

The Texans should trade for Philip Rivers

:yeah:

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mastershakeman posted:

they don't have a clue or a plan and have an incompetent front office, so they're probably all in on Jimmy G

They absolutely have a plan. Whether it's a good one is another story, but I am on board. The difference in talent and depth before Pace started and now is huge. Our roster is a lot better. Too bad the coaching is mediocre.

weird Asian candy posted:

Million dollar arm. 10 cent brain. Jay Cutler.

Has there been anyone in the league that has had as many "maybe this is the year he puts it all together" seasons as Jay Cutler? I mean, it's been literally every year with him lol

I don't understand why Cutler is viewed from a different lense than his peers.

QB Ratings
Cutler -- 85.7
Manning -- 83.7
Flacco -- 84.5
Newton -- 86.1
Smith -- 85.3

All the other QBs have been to Super Bowls. All are considered good enough to win a Super Bowl with. But the narrative is that Cutler is what was bringing the Bears down.

All while having a carousel of offensive coordinators and a bunch of garbage defenses. Only twice since Cutler has been there have the Bears had a top ten scoring defense.

I know quarterback rating is a dumb metric, but is Cutler really significantly worse than Eli or Flacco?

(Having said that, he needs to leave Chicago. There's is nothing he can do to salvage what's left of his career here)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Sataere posted:

Outside of Cam though, I don't know if any of those QBs have shown the greatness that Jay could have been. He has moments of elite level QB play ... and then he shits in his own mouth over and over and over again.

tbf, Cutler got a lot of crap from Bear fans when their (Bears) problems weren't him many times.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Ranking Cutler around Flacco and Alex Smith sounds about right, all 3 are kinda average and sometimes bad, with brief moments of good play

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Sataere posted:

They absolutely have a plan. Whether it's a good one is another story, but I am on board. The difference in talent and depth before Pace started and now is huge. Our roster is a lot better. Too bad the coaching is mediocre.

QB Ratings
Cutler -- 85.7
Manning -- 83.7
Flacco -- 84.5
Newton -- 86.1
Smith -- 85.3

All the other QBs have been to Super Bowls. All are considered good enough to win a Super Bowl with. But the narrative is that Cutler is what was bringing the Bears down.

All while having a carousel of offensive coordinators and a bunch of garbage defenses. Only twice since Cutler has been there have the Bears had a top ten scoring defense.

I know quarterback rating is a dumb metric, but is Cutler really significantly worse than Eli or Flacco?

(Having said that, he needs to leave Chicago. There's is nothing he can do to salvage what's left of his career here)

Where do the stats on this chart come from

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

zimbomonkey posted:

Where do the stats on this chart come from

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/ I assume, but you can get them lots of places? NFL.com, ESPN.com, etc.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Sataere posted:

It's because he's a dick.

I agree with your larger point, though. He'll probably end up making whatever team he ends up on way better.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

fsif posted:

It's because he's a dick.

I agree with your larger point, though. He'll probably end up making whatever team he ends up on way better.

I dunno about way better. Hasn't he been to the playoffs like once in his career? Clearly Jay needs to go to Cleveland.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Put Cutler on the Texans and holy god

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There are teams that would benefit A LOT from league average or so QB play in place of tire fire QB play.

The problem with Cutler is expecting him to be an Aaron Rodgers "carry the team on his back every week" kind of guy. He's not ever gonna be that guy. Play decent defense, run the ball a decent amount and let him huck play-action bombs to somebody worth a crap and you'll do fine though.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sean10mm posted:

There are teams that would benefit A LOT from league average or so QB play in place of tire fire QB play.

The problem with Cutler is expecting him to be an Aaron Rodgers "carry the team on his back every week" kind of guy. He's not ever gonna be that guy. Play decent defense, run the ball a decent amount and let him huck play-action bombs to somebody worth a crap and you'll do fine though.

He's so weird though because you think he should be able to benefit a team a lot...but I just don't know how much. He isn't even .500 for his career. He isn't going to outright win you any games like you said, but he sure could lose some for you with his bone headed decisions.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/martysaurusrex/status/834521286814613504

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

He's so weird though because you think he should be able to benefit a team a lot...but I just don't know how much. He isn't even .500 for his career. He isn't going to outright win you any games like you said, but he sure could lose some for you with his bone headed decisions.

That's not true. Cutler has won games. He can absolutely blow teams up. It's just sometimes, that team is the Bears. :v:

sean10mm posted:

I think this is the problem. Him not being a god on the football field, coupled with having the douchiest face ever, has created unreasonable expectations.

I dunno about way better. Hasn't he been to the playoffs like once in his career? Clearly Jay needs to go to Cleveland.

Yeah. He had only ever had a defense that ranked above 20th in scoring three times since he has been here.

2010-
NFC Championship game loss. Where we learned nationally that Cutler is a little bitch for not playing football on one leg.

2011- 7-3 going after week 11, where. Cutler got hurt against San Diego (because only bitches try tackling guys who intercept them )

Caleb Haines couldn't even go .500 with a top five defense to help the Bears squeak into the playoffs.

2012 - Bears finish 10-6, but Phil Emery doesn't think Lovie can win like Trestman can, so :byewhore:

I will remain a Cutler apologist to my dying day.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Owns.

And in the minds of stupid people who make hiring decisions on many teams he probably [this is the point where you need to brace for nausea] "rehabilitated" himself by being a "good Patriot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cutler's big problem is that he throws the same interception week after week and never bothers to fix it

• Locked thread