Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I love Brandon Marshall but the Chiefs WR corps is kinda set for the first time in years. Tyreek Hill is the #1 and Maclin and Conley are dependable #2/3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I forgot about Maclin. I was thinking of Tyreek and Kelce as the only weapons. Yeah, they're fine then.

If I was a Chiefs fan I'd probably want Romo for a year but I'd be wary about committing to him for the next 3.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Where are the Bengals?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Going from Alex Smith to Tony Romo seems like a pretty dangerous risk.

Smith is an average starting QB, but he's the definition of reliable, in a system and with talent that he can succeed well with.

Going all in on Romo could easily be an upgrade... or an upgrade for 3 games before he's broken in half. Seems like the kind of thing you do if you have a much worse QB then Alex Smith.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Romo would get hurt after one game behind the current Bengals line assuming they actually re-sign both of the linemen who they aren't going to

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Kalli posted:

Going from Alex Smith to Tony Romo seems like a pretty dangerous risk.

Smith is an average starting QB, but he's the definition of reliable, in a system and with talent that he can succeed well with.

Going all in on Romo could easily be an upgrade... or an upgrade for 3 games before he's broken in half. Seems like the kind of thing you do if you have a much worse QB then Alex Smith.

Romo is a gamble you take when the alternative is getting fired because all your QBs are certified trash.

You don't replace someone OK with Romo. You replace a tire fire in the hopes he lives long enough to win your enough games to have a job in 2018.

Nov 6, 2002

Marvin Lewis probably needs to save his job this season.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

In My Respectful Opinion Marvin Lewis either fixes the line and keeps his two best offensive players on the field instead of leaving it up to Brandon LaFell and rookies, or he is done with or without anything else

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

why are we on this list

Because Romo is better than Tannehill

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

another reason why Tony will definitely not be on the second team created by paul brown is because many players on the cincinnati bengals were not alive for the most recent playoff victory of the franchise, and more will be added indefinitely. at the current rate, there will be no players in the nfl who were alive for it, nor fans. Perhaps there would not even be a victory in the post-season before there is no longer a team in cincinnati, a city in the United States. Will the NFL last long enough? my guess? well, i would imagine so because we are not even talking about winning the championship after all. Let's say the NFl lasts 244 more years. That means there would be at least 230 seasons for the Bengals to have a chance to win in the wildcard round, or "first round" if the rules become changed at some point, maybe even more than once. And this number of seasons called 230 includes a healthy number of possible strike and lockout years, in 244 total calendar years. On Earth. Let's say the Bengals make the playoffs 15% of the time in those 230 seasons. that's about 34 opportunities to win. In at least a couple of those chances, the opposing team is likely to be severely injured at key positions. That means jeremy Hill could fumble it at least twice before it becomes a big time problem. Maybe even 3 times if the opponent is fielding players who have never played before. 47% of PodcastOne listeners "strongly agree" that they pay more attention to podcast advertising than advertising on broadcast radio. All in all i would say there is at least a pretty darn good chance of every body getting a little bit wild but maintaining composure at the end of the day.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

a neat cape posted:

I mean if you're gonna list every team with a QB worse than romo, it's gonna be half the league. where are the rams or browns on that list?

it's gonna be the texans or broncos anyway, because romo's gonna go to a team that's just a QB away from being a SB contender

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
lol Tannehill is not only better at this point but dudes an iron man so no thanks

Denver tho that's a good spot

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
How good Romo is now is honestly a mystery. He's old and had multiple major injuries over the last few seasons. And he was sorta of garbage when he did play in 2015, throwing 7 picks in 4 starts.

Could he party like it's 2014 in 2017? Maybe. Could he roll over and die the second his center farts on his hands? Maybe.

Put another way, peak Romo was way better than Tannehill ever was... but I don't see how you can just assume he can still be that guy.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 24, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
But you can assume Tannehill will still be Tannehill.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Enjoy going up against Khalil Mack/Aldon Smith/Bruce Irvin/Dee Ford/Justin Houston/Joey Bosa twice a year

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think Romo is way too much of a risk to devote any significant money. That injury history is incredibly concerning, and even if he is able to play well the likelihood of him missing multiple games is near 1.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Blitz7x posted:

Enjoy going up against Khalil Mack/Aldon Smith/Bruce Irvin/Dee Ford/Justin Houston/Joey Bosa twice a year

Yeah, the AFC West probably isn't the place for an injury prone old man to play QB.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Marvin Lewis probably needs to save his job this season.
He's gone after this season barring a miracle. He's the best but it's time and hell, I'll miss him. Hash tag good coach.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Elephanthead posted:

But you can assume Tannehill will still be Tannehill.

Which is a pretty great quarterback in most metrics!?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

a patagonian cavy posted:

I mean if you're gonna list every team with a QB worse than romo, it's gonna be half the league. where are the rams or browns on that list?

Because they aren't good destinations that Romo would consider?

I'd take Romo over Rivers at this point but LA isn't on that list because it's a poo poo situation

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

a neat cape posted:

Because they aren't good destinations that Romo would consider?

I'd take Romo over Rivers at this point but LA isn't on that list because it's a poo poo situation

ty for ignoring the second half of my post where I said literally exactly that

the 49ers shouldn't be on that list for the same reason, they're arguably a worse landing spot than the browns for a QB who's in win-now mode

me, I just hope he goes to the Texans and I get to see him his backup beat the bengals in a heartbreakingly close game that we blow in the last minutes of regulation, for old times sake

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

if that is all it takes to be on the list then almost every team should be on the list

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ehud posted:

if that is all it takes to be on the list then almost every team should be on the list

No because he'd actually want to go to Miami

Nov 6, 2002

a neat cape posted:

Tony Romo wants to spend the last few years of his career in a division with the Patriots?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Tony Romo wants to spend the last few years of his career in a division with the Patriots?

This is going to be a long offseason.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

fsif posted:

This is going to be a long offseason.

Not for defending offseason champion Buffalo Bills! You have a lot of work to do to go b2b

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

a neat cape posted:

It still doesn't make sense. Miami wouldn't sit Tannehill for a diminished, fragile Romo.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/835289415564001281

who the gently caress is that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A pretty good 30 year old run stuffer who missed like half of last year with a calf injury.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Super high effort guy everyone loves because he tries super hard, but isn't a great player. People ran @ Mitchell a lot last year :-/

Granted, part of that was running away from Suh.

Edit: Kalli is right about the health. He was better in previous years before he was hurt.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Chargers need to fill some holes in FA and they have to make several painful cuts to get it done.

King Dunlap and Brandon Flowers are goners, probably. Both of them played really well for their respective stretches, but unfortunately concussions and other various maladies have really caught up to them. I've heard some speculation Flowers might retire; if he doesn't some team will get a pretty good CB #2 if he's mostly healthy. One of Fluker or Franklin is getting cut also.

They absolutely need to address OG and safety during this FA period, since I think it'd be wise for them to spend their draft capital on d-line, LT and WR. Just any sort of competent guard or FS (with maybe Addae loving off for good, he's a bum) and i'd be content.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I saw some article that said that Green Bay is the likely landing spot for Adrien Peterson and that's really dumb. Stop that, Green Bay, revenge for Favre in Purple is not worth hiring that kid-beater who is on his way to being a burden.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mangold is getting released? Has his play fallen off that much or are the Jets just in a terrible spot?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Eltoasto posted:

Mangold is getting released? Has his play fallen off that much or are the Jets just in a terrible spot?
Cap hit of $9m and 0 dead money for a center that didn't see much of a dropoff when his backup was playing this year. Pretty much expected. Great Jet.

Probably has a couple years of above-average play left if he stays healthy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Would be shocked if he doesn't end up a Bengal

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Will miss Mangold dearly

Nov 6, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

Would be shocked if he doesn't end up a Bengal

East Incest bro

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Cut pouncey

Give me Mangold

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DC Murderverse posted:

I saw some article that said that Green Bay is the likely landing spot for Adrien Peterson and that's really dumb. Stop that, Green Bay, revenge for Favre in Purple is not worth hiring that kid-beater who is on his way to being a burden.

AP to Green Bay seems incredibly unlikely, to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers got Addison at 3 years/22.5 million

Good contract, useful player.

• Locked thread