Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I saw an article referring to Breath of the Wild as a system seller, but can something really be a system seller if it's available on the previous generation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Words can't express how much I detested Skyward Sword. I mean Twilight Princess lacked a lot of charm but at least I felt like I was playing a Zelda game and not a tech demo for the Wii Motion Plus

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rutibex posted:

how dare you besmirch the honor of amazon, it would never do something so uncouth! you must be thinking of the "users who viewed this item also viewed" section

You mean customers look up what this newfangled Switch is and then decide "meh, I'll just buy it for my Wii U instead"?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Professor SJW posted:

this will be me when the switch come out

look at that guy having so much fun on that plane goddamn

:lol: any flight long enough to warrant playing games on is way longer than the battery life of that thing

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

If you are embarrassed to be seen playing a 3DS, the most popular handheld of all-time, in public in a world where everyone and their grandma plays games on their 3DS, iPhone, or iPad, then you have serious anxiety issues. It's you, not the video games that are embarrassing.

Can't remember the last time I saw someone playing a 3ds in public. Candy crush sure, but not a separate gaming console

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I noticed last week that Amazon had the NES Classic in stock for prime members only and it sold out in a few hours and all they have now are 3x marked up resold units. Is Nintendo incapable of mass producing something made with some random cheap rear end parts that probably has ridiculous profit margin?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The success of the Nintendo Classic shows that people now don't mind paying a nominal fee for something that, while in many ways inferior to other options, is wrapped up in a pretty loving first-party package and triggers their nostalgia. Naturally, Nintendo seems incapable of fully capitalizing on that.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Serak posted:

• Left wireless controller regularly desyncs as well as losing responsiveness when covered by hand/not aimed directly at TV
  • Can't charge controllers while playing on TV without a $30 accessory
  • Can't lay the system down while it's in the stand
  • No ethernet in $90 stand which is literally nothing more than a fancy breakout box for HDMI + power socket.
  • Can't charge while using the flip-out stand as power socket is on bottom
  • Comes with 32GB of storage, of which 7GB is already used by the operating system
  • Games are super-compressed to fit in cartriges/suit use of memorycard storage
  • Internal specs designed to target 720p internals screen, flagship game can't achieve 30fps when running at 900p on TV
  • 3 hour battery life when off charger
  • Region Locked

Friends, I think the Switch might be bad.

One of the reviews I read was like "yeah a bunch of this stuff isn't available yet and you need to buy some extra accessories to actually use it and some things don't appear to work right but I'm playing Zelda right now so it's great!!!!". Great review there.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The magic of USB-C

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Arms_Akimbo posted:

[*] Loses charge while being used in docked mode

I assumed that's because the Switch is racing for it's life trying to keep up rendering at 900p and basically threw any semblance of power management out the window

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lemming posted:

The reviewers said it seems to stop at 88%, so if this is intentional, it's likely because in the long term, if the battery always remains fully charged, lithium ion batteries lose storage capacity the fastest if they're stored fully charged. The overall lifetime of the battery is extended if it doesn't always sit at 100% capacity, so that's probably why.

Doesn't every charging system now adays pretty much stop when they are full and then kick back on after 1-2% drain? Like, no one else lets the battery go down 12%. And if you want to start pointing at charts, isn't the guideline 80% not 88%? (:lol: at losing 20% of your 3 hour battery life)

Also isn't that battery charging "tip" mostly Lifehacker-esque advice and for the most part not something consumers actually have to worry about?

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 2, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lemming posted:

No, it still makes a difference.

Temperature makes a huge difference but Nintendo ain't including no active cooling on that dock are they?

And if that was really why they are doing it, why is it specific to dock mode only? And why not take this over-provisioning or under-charging into account in the charge display and just say 100%?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

USB-C works great on several devices that I own. This is Nintendo's doing.

Oh it's not USB-C's fault. The spec lets you do this. But several other devices have had similar issues, like Macbooks charging battery packs instead of the other way around. Just poor implementation by companies.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Even companies that currently print money and sit on a pile of it start to panic when they feel the winds change and that poo poo does not last as long as anyone thinks when things go bad. MS basically shat out a billion dollars over the early Surface garbage.

But yeah, Nintendo will probably still be fine because nostalgia is a hell of a money maker and they could make more of it once they do things like not having their entire NES Classic line manufactured out of some guy's garage. Hell there are enough necessary extra accessories you have to buy for the Switch that they'll make a bajillion dollars off the people that have already preordered it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wanted to love Metroid Prime but the controls just pissed me off too much. Then some Nintendo fanboy told me the problem was that I was treating it like an FPS and not an adventure game and I got :confused:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

LethalGeek posted:

It was meant to be played via targetting not like you would Doom so yeah apparently you're like the one person who didn't figure that.

I understood the targeting I just didn't like very much and my issues were more than just the pew pew pew parts

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Cell shading (isn't that what that style of graphics is called?) looks so dumb now and are used to mask the fact that the game has bad graphics and that makes me sad

720p and almost 30fps the wave of the future is here

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

The system can't even handle 900p. While Sony and Microsoft are working on 4k. But I'm sure third parties will port over their major releases!

They got Skyrim. Maybe if they are lucky they can get FO3 port in a year or two???

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People promised me a Wii U fire sale but it's still $200ish

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Professor SJW posted:

hey man im a pc game guy too with a fast rig but frame rate and graphics are just icing on the cake. the thing i care about is if the game is good

the fact switch has only one (apparently really really good) game is the thing that sucks about it. i dont care about hardware nerd poo poo

That's weird because apparently one of the selling points of BotW is how immersive it is and if there is one thing that quickly pulls you out of the immersion of a game it's poo poo chugging sub-30fps performance

I have no problems believing BotW is a fun game but you can't have your cake and eat it too

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Professor SJW posted:

well that sucks

still obsession with graphics is the most annoying thing about "gamers" other than the way they stalk and kill women

Asking for not sub-30fps is ridiculous gamer garbage

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

This thread makes me really want a Wii U to play Wind Waker where are my clearance deals

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

tao of lmao posted:

I like the cooking. It's better than just picking up random hearts everywhere.

what?! wildly slashing around at grass to refill hearts is a drat loving staple of that game

I think most of my time in LttP was spent just slashing around at grass and then using the shovel like crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

FFX crafting was ok because I just stumbled into the menu, found the things I could make because I collected the right number of ingredients from random fights, and just hit the make button

• Locked thread