Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Not to defend Nintendo here (they've made some ridiculously stupid decisions in the past) but this is such a stupid criticism.

-the vita shipped with literally zero storage. To play any game you needed to expand the storage.

-the 3DS comes with 4gb. Plenty of games require more to download

-"all other consoles come with more storage" is comparing a cheap, physically large, spinning hard drive to on board flash which is idiotic

-micro SD is hilariously cheap and Nintendo could have been cocks and used proprietary cards but they didn't

-anyone buying digitally instead of physical deserves this fate

-I've never felt the touch of a woman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Grump posted:

What ever happened to the Vita? I haven't heard a word about since it came out

https://www.amazon.com/32GB-PlayStation-Vita-Memory-Card/dp/B006JKASCK

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

bradzilla posted:

Also every home console since 2006(except Nintendo consoles) have shipped with adequate storage so these are bullshit excuses dude

I know but those are all spinny hard drives (Nintendo likes using solid state for everything.)

When the 360 had a flash drive it had 256mb lol (and it was called the Xbox Live Arcade model)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gay Weed Dad posted:

Yeah but the 360 arcade was a low-priced offering designed to be bare bones.

So is the Switch :smug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh God the Xbox 360 hard drives were the biggest loving ripoffs. It was like $100 for a 60 gig :wtc:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

given the pitiful battery life the switch has, even the tethered to the outlet part of this picture is accurate

then remember that li batteries lose capacity after 1-2 years and the switch's isn't replaceable. a great portable system!

the battery life isn't that far off from what the 3DS is believe it or not.

also someone posted the insides of a switch and the battery is easily serviceable; it's just held on with a little black and red wire, you just unplug it identical to the wii U gamepad

Klyith posted:

Sure. But for the life of the system, even when downloadable games became A Thing and they started offering reasonable size drives, they still charged out the rear end for their dumb proprietary drives. Which were just an average slow laptop drive with magic bios and a plastic caddy.

They were constantly called on it by people as stupid profit-taking when they should be encouraging people to buy more games by giving them cheap storage.

And the Xbox One was almost as bad, standard model at launch came with 500gb drives and the OS and poo poo uses 140 of that. Space for like 10 games. But at least MS can figure out how to deliver downloads that take less than a day.

Remember when Microsoft was charging $20 for this?

lol

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'm going to say it right now: The 360 Arcade nerfed an entire generation of consoles in ways most people don't realize. I loving despise that console. A lot of people don't know what Microsoft did with this, but basically:

1- First off you have to remember the 360 was the base line console. The PS3 was more powerful, but the 360 had a larger install base so almost every game was made with 360 compatibility paramonunt.
2- Microsoft dictated that because of the Arcade's existence, no game could require a hard drive for any reason. You just couldn't. Requiring even a couple MB of cache space was grounds for denial.
3- Now for the final bit, remember that Microsoft also insisted on using a regular DVD for the 360 and not a high-capacity media of any sort, something the PS3 had.

What did this all add up to? Simple: While the 360 could have supported far better texture resolutions and graphics than it often had, it'd required some installed files to unpack them as the media wasn't large enough to store this stuff out of the box. As a result every PS3 game was pure poo poo since nobody decided to leave up-scaled graphics versions that the PS3 could have supported and instead just worried about direct porting the 360 version. The regular 360 and PS3 could have had far improved graphics - and eventually, bigger worlds and such - since both consoles had HDDs, but nobody used the HDs on either console much (except the lazy "install literally everything" PS3 shovelware) because again, everyone developed with the 360 compatibility as the most important thing and Microsoft forbid relying on one of the 360's features.

So basically the only reason any of this happened was the Arcade existed. A lovely console meant to fight Sony's price point that lasted all of a few months meant developers wouldn't touch the HD for an entire loving generation.*

* In the verrrrrry last couple months a small handful of games were able to petition out of this; Rage was one of the notable big fights with Microsoft. But I'm talking "we finally laxed this rule like two months before the Xbox One replaced the 360" so poo poo load of help that was

Actually that started way before the Arcade 360 came out. At launch, the standard 360 came with no hard drive (and the "pro" one came with 20gb).

but the Arcade model was especially hilarious because the whole point of it was "XBox Live Arcade downloads" hence the name. So they marketed for that use but shipped it with a 256mb hard drive.

and actually the pricing was worse than I remembered for the hard drives. a 120gb xbox 360 hard drive retailed for $180 :lol:

they were literally laptop hard drives in a plastic case with a weird connector on it. You could literally open the plastic shell up and use it in a laptop and all you'd have to do is format it.

edit: they also charged $99 USD for a loving wifi dongle, and there were no 3rd party options

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 23, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

video games really are for children anyway. you should buy a power tool with you money instead, and build a shed

I can do that in Sims 3

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Blaise330 posted:

This is going to be like the 5th console in a row i'll regret not buying in bulk and ebaying. I'll never learn.

when Smash Bros Wii U came out, I was waiting outside the store and was bullshitting with one other guy waiting. He told me to buy the Wii Fit Trainer and the Animal Crossing kid amiibos. I knew nothing about that stuff but I figured 10 bux each it's worth a shot. I got $150 for both of them on ebay.

While there I also picked up the Wii U to Gamecube controller adapter for $20. When I went to a friend's house that day, we used the one he bought, so mine was still new. Like a day later I saw they were going for $110 on eBay lol. I sold it and just waited for them to be back in stock (I had no idea they were going to be "rare" for a while).

So long story short I made $220 in profit just because I went to the store to get Smash Bros

I bet the Switch Pro controllers end up going for big money for a month or two.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Universe Master posted:

The dock, literally nothing but HDMI out and power in, costs $90. Hahaha

I think when docked it overclocks the system (so it can handle 1080p) so maybe there's a fan in there too?

Also these things cost $60: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Delivery-Charging-Specification-ChromeBook/dp/B018XF4KRC

Still a bit of a rip though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
the Nintendo Switch plays this video every time on bootup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuX5_OWObA0

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Howdges posted:

Buy a few consoles brand new, don't open them. wait until hax come out, but only for consoles that haven't updated in 2 years. sell unopened consoles for mad money

I did this exact thing with the 360 and PS3

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a Switch flashcart yet

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Wemus posted:

I've never seen nintendo hype die so fast than with the switch

It seems to me that nintendo is scared of online because people tend to swear when theres open communication and thry fear either losing their FAMILY image or just dislike lack of total content control

No joke this is 100% the case. When the DS first came out, all these loving stupid local news stations did reports on HOW CHILD PREDATORS ARE GOING TO COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR CHILDREN! TONIGHT AT 10. And you know what it was about? loving Pictochat that was built into the original DS.

poo poo like that is why they won't even allow you to use custom Miis in Smash online. Obviously it's not incapable of doing it. They just don't want news reports about Timmy playing Smash against Hitler.

The abysmal way they handle digital downloads is unrelated though.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Code Jockey posted:

lol really, like I knew you could get into wii mode, but like you can actually run things in wiiu mode? If so I'm totally going to buy one off craigslist or something

yes, it started happening about 3 months ago.

have fun: https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WhyteRyce posted:

I saw an article referring to Breath of the Wild as a system seller, but can something really be a system seller if it's available on the previous generation?

honestly I am not even remotely psyched for Breath of the Wild. I went on Wikipedia to look at the director for the game, and here's his resume:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages Game Boy Color Director, planner, scenario writer[3]
2002 The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Game Boy Advance Director, planner
2004 The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap Game Boy Advance Director, planner, writer
2007 The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass Nintendo DS Subdirector, story writer[1]
2011 The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Wii Director[7]
2017 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Why does anyone think this is going to be a good one when all he's made are "barely decent" to "total poo poo" Zelda games?

I am actually genuinely asking.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jimmy Hats posted:

Phantom Hourglass was the best zelda and you're a giant idiot + have a small dick

the only good Zelda games: A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, Link's Awakening

hth

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The Oracle of Ages/Seasons games are excellent and have some of the series' best dungeons. Minish Cap is fun as heck too. You're dumb and bad.

Hey I might be dumb and bad but, uh...what was the third thing you said about me?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also sorry but while the Capcom Zelda games might have been acceptable they are completely forgettable. I played and beat all of them and can barely recall a loving thing about them. But I remember tons of poo poo from Link's Awakening and I haven't played it in 25 years

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Some1 just told me Zelda is the best game ever made...

A Link to the Past is

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Batterypowered7 posted:

I don't think the console has a browser.

I can't blame them. The Vita, 3DS, and WiiU were all able to be hacked to run free games thanks to the web browser.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

What wire doi need buy to to charge this poo poo in the car?

It's USB C

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Supposedly a magazine called Edge gave Breath of the Wild a perfect 10, which apparently they never do?

Maybe I will have to eat crow and admit this might be a good game

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I too am confused as to why Nintendo doesn't want their games on easily pirated devices and without actual buttons.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kikkelivelho posted:

You joke, but there's definitely some truth to the idea that Nintendo has failed to adapt to the growths and changes of the gaming scene. They still seem to think that games are the electronic toys of the early 90s and that the people playing their products are young teenage boys with little intellectual capacity. The modern gaming landscape is dominated by Sony because of titles like the Last of Us. Modern gamers want their games to not only test their skills but to also make them think and that's something that Nintendo absolutely doesn't want to do.

Either the Nintendo themselves are afraid of handling more complex subjects or they think their core audience can't handle darker and more complex stories and worlds. Either way Nintendo is stuck creating games with very black and white simple to understand ideas and concepts and it seems to be causing damage in terms of sales. You can also see this unwillingness to change and improve in their hardware decisions. Sony and Microsoft are constantly offering gamers better ways to experience their games while Nintendo is stuck working on terrible last gen hardware. IMO the gaming market is no place for such conservative and regressive strategies.

it's a bit more simple than that. Games like The Last of Us are ridiculously expensive to make and Mario 3D World is way the hell cheaper to make in every single way (especially with not having to hire the girl from Juno).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Ellen Page wasn't in The Last of Us. She was only in Beyond Two Souls.

YOU loving POSEUR.

OK I meant the girl from the TV series Phenom

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Just me and my Switch®, me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®, uh, just me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®, just me and my Switch®
Yeah, just me and my Switch® (just me and my Switch®)
Just me and my Switch®, me and my Switch®
Just me and my Switch®

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

I will not buy a console. I already have a desktop PC, a laptop, and a mobile phone. What I don't have, however, is a TV.

The Switch™ comes with the TV built in

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Paladinus posted:

Can I watch old QI on it?

What's QI precious

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
maybe he works for Nintendo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Llama posted:

So is the switch a big smartphone or a small tv?

Yes.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Universe Master posted:

Nintendo would make a gently caress-ton of cash if they teamed with apple and made some sort of useful wrap around controller for the iphone. I think they are the only ones who could do it because people would be wary of buying a controller and a full price phone game unless it was Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.

They'd also keep making money on console/PC releases, without having console development costs, manufacturing costs and so on.

This is an actually interesting discussion on a forum that isn't gamefaqs.

As counterpoints to your arguments, Nintendo breaks even on consoles, and hell, sometimes they even make money on them.

Then there's the benefit of piracy being ridiculously difficult (compared to iPhone, Android, and PC) on consoles. Excluding the Wii because that thing was hacked within like 2 years of release (the 3DS and WiiU took forever).

And the final reason is Nintendo would no longer be able to charge $60 for games. You think they aren't going to take a huge hit when Super Mario 3D World 2 goes from them making a $45 profit per sale compared to $13? And how are you going to get games that are 20+ gigs to fit on an iPhone with 32gb of storage (that isn't upgradeable)? "Welp, my entire collection literally cannot be more than 3 games" is not something I would imagine they'd want many people saying.

I know this is nerd poo poo but I like talking business so if there are counterpoints to this I genuinely would like to discuss them! :)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 28, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ElGroucho posted:

Have you guys tried the Power Glove?

It's so... bad

It's bad alright

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/NY20653/Jack-Vinson.html

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

benefits of avoiding console piracy are offset by Nintendo consoles being so weak they are quickly emulated

That's because they make consoles that are easily programmed for :smug:

Seriously though that's what I've read. Explains why you can't emulate the Saturn or N64 properly (both terrible pieces of poo poo to program for) despite them obviously being way weaker.

Also I got my Switch three days early!!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it's probably just me but one of the things I am most excited for re: The Nintendo Switch(tm) is that it will play virtual console games with online multiplayer. I will finally be able to prove I am Uniracers/Unirally champion :D

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ArbitraryC posted:

I resent the switch because nintendo handhelds are basically the best part of nintendo and now because they've made a hybrid that isn't very good at being a console (power) or a handheld (portability and battery life) they're probably gonna double down on this design and not release an actually good handheld for another cycle of consoles.

it has the same battery life as the 3ds hth

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

yet my samsung tablet lasts all day on one change. its almost like nintendo sucks at designing hardware

are you playing 3-d intensive games on it all day or browsing forums

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Teikanmi posted:

Hmmm maybe designing a system that makes sense in a Japanese sized home where the walls are never more than 3 meters from each other and creating a bunch of Japanese aimed games and Japanese style peripherals wasn't such a great a great idea

I mean to put it in perpsepctive, most of the people I know here in Tokyo still use a MP3 players and CDs in addition to their smartphones for the reason that it already exists, these are the type of people who are creating this system

Dubplate Fire posted:

It only happens in a small room and only when it's obstructed. It doesn't happen in larger rooms at all.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

welp looks like I'll have to eat crow and admit this might end up being a good game (I was skeptical because it was the same guy responsible for Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess...maybe they yelled at him until he did good??)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
also it looks like the battery can easily be replaced as it's not attached to the screen by glue like so many cell phones and other portable things

thank god

• Locked thread