Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

The PSP and Vita were virtually impossible to play without hilariously overpriced memory sticks too. The Vita's flash memory was proprietary and exclusive to the handheld too. Good thing Nintendo has always used cheap (micro) SD. You can pick up a 200GB micro SD for like $60-70 and never have to bother again for your Switch, so why complain? Nintendo's being as reasonable as possible on storage here.

PSP did use slightly more expensive Memory Stick format compared to other formats, but it wasn't as hugely overpriced as their Vita sticks were. Even with the PSP memory sticks, you had the option to take it to other devices that might use it, too: Card readers and other Sony devices for example.

But, yeah, Sony screwed the pooch on the memory card system for the Vita in such a way that I can only describe it as, "If you're going to pirate games on this system this time, you're going to paying the price of the games in the form of storage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The 360 launched in an era where downloadable games were still considered sort of a novelty, though. I think for a few years the DLC marketplace on the system were sort of more revolving around the smaller indie, arcade and add-on content downloads. To that extent, I even seem to recall someone saying that for quite a while MS put some size restrictions on Indie and arcade games so that simply having a 256MB storage card would still be able to handle a few such titles or a lot of DLC add-ons and saves.

I think for about five years into the system's lifecycle I'm pretty sure one of MSs rules for games publishing on the system was that no retail game could require HD installs to play (to save, yeah, but not to play). I think they ultimately made some concessions to the policy in the form of something like a few online-only games like Final Fantasy before they finally updated the firmware to allow USB drives and external hard drives in place of MS's HD and memory cards, giving install to HD options to decrease load times and wear on the drive, etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
The thing that sort of got me was that MS should have really kept evolving the 360 too much in terms of onboard storage with the arcade SKU. Going from zero to 256mb was nice, though. 4GB was a marked improvement, but by the time the second SLIM iteration was coming out and the price and even availability of official HDs was horrible. If not for the eventual increase in external HD capacity and compatibility, it'd probably have been a worse siutation by post 2012 or so.

They should have upgraded it from 4GB to at least 16GB to at least cover most any game that would still require HD install.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

edit: they also charged $99 USD for a loving wifi dongle, and there were no 3rd party options

There was at least one unofficial 3rd party option. I think it consisted of using the USB port for power and maybe connected to the ethernet port. Essentially, I think it maybe acted like a cheap bridge or something. I remember for a short time, too, there was an old wireless adapter maybe Belkin or DLink or someone made with the Xbox branding for the original 2001-era Xbox that was a fairly large box that did the same time. I think there are some other similar devices that started selling about 5 years ago for people who had BD-players and game systems without wifi but with wired ethernet to let them do the same thing

Not that any of them were super cheap, but they're still probably cheaper than the MSRP on the official 360 ones were and you had the added benefit of being able to use it on other devices, too.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Will you be able to buy Switches as separate parts?

You only want the core portable unit? That''ll be $100 less than the unit with a base.
You need a spare base you can plug into a different TV without unhooking/moving it all the time? That'll be $150 on its own.
Etc.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Oh but you get a free NES or SNES game a month for signing up! That you only have access to for that month! A game that you most likely already own multiple copies of, or, if you for some reason don't, you can download a ROM of for free in literally seconds!

This is a thing I sort of figured Nintendo would eventually do, but more like a monthly Netflix-style plan. For a flat monthly fee, you'd have access to a revolving line-up of NES-through-Wii-era games. I know you can download ROMs and all, but I sort of figured parents would be willing to toss out $10 a month for their kids to have maybe unfettered access to even 15-25 different full games from between 5 different systems (or more if they worked in GB/DS family of games into it) all on your Switch.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
A few years ago it seemed like you can't launch a portable system for $250+ given how reaction to the Vita and 3DS were in sales. If this is going to eventually be seen as a portable system with a console price tag, having it do double duty as a console seems to make sense. But if this turns out to be just really a great portable system for people, and that's it, I wonder if it will launch big, have a slow adoption rate after that and then get a massive drop to something like $200 or less.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
As a slight derail, would many/any of the classic and new Nintendo franchises STILL be as hugely popular if Nintendo became a 3rd Party publisher or would they quickly be drowned out by other third party releases?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Nintendo needs to rename the franchise as "Stariofox" or "Mariofox" about Mario getting stuck fighting a space war in wearing a foxsuit while Toad wears a frogsuit.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Given the nature of the Swtich, if Nintendo maybe pushes for publishers (and even themselves) to have new retail games at launch to fall in the $25-40 range of the average 'portable' title rather than the $40-60 range of 'console' titles, I could see it carving out a bit of a niche for people would would sort of take all the performance trade offs for lower-priced games that can be played both on their TVs and on the go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

id guess very easily. the wii was a piece of poo poo to enthusiasts, but it had a long tail with non gamers with a large living room

e. the wii was a word of mouth thing to the core

Also, the Wii was a bit if a surprise considering the PS3 hype that preceded its release by just a few days, I think. No one took the Wii seriously until after it had been out for a few days, people started freaking out about the motion controls, the PS3 couldn't maintain the popularity it had pre-launch, people were unhappy with the high price of the PS3 and started pushing the "Wii60" combo of "Just buy a Wii and a 360 for the same price as a single PS3", etc.

• Locked thread