Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I'll try to be brief: I'm considering going back to school (online) and considering getting into the field of environmental science/policy. I already have a BA and MA in History, which has ended up being more or less a waste of time, so I'd like to avoid a repeat.

I started in Marine Science initially in undergrad and find that I'd like to go back into something similar to hopefully make a more positive impact (lol probably delusional) but will actually need a decent job at the other end. With the coming massacre of the EPA, etc., is this a terrible idea?

I'm starting with very limited info so I was hoping some goons might've gone down this path and could advise for/against. Any/all info would be much appreciated, I'm going to see about trying to find a university advisor/ contact who might be able to clue me in (hopefully without just trying to sell me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah, if you don't mind, I'd appreciate it. All input is welcome.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

I've actually done SCUBA etc since and the waves aren't for me (sans Dramamine) much to my chagrin. My undergrad had their own little center and boat (I think) but I didn't stay in long enough to get out. I think I'd end up doing policy or nonprofit work, not really sure though (or now if I'll get to even try and time soon).

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I'm also in Texas so passing stuff to the state is probably a dead end too. They'll stomp anything out they possibly can, I fear.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately I won't be leaving Texas anytime soon so I'm starting to wonder if I should bother.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

LogisticEarth posted:

Environmental consulting is wildly varied as far as job satisfaction goes. Pay isn't awful, but, but it's not great. The hours and travel can also suck hard. Profit margins are relatively low and your job is usually only a month of mediocre utilization rates away from disappearing.

If you want to make real money in consulting, you want to get a PG, PE, or at least some business/project management certification. The "good" jobs are all in project management. That means most if your time is spent on budgets, planning, and business development, and using your license to review and sign off in the work of others. It's certainly a job, but after spending 8 years in environmental consulting myself, I was miserable and bailed.

I know make about $12k less a year working for a county government. I have way more flexibility, actually use my geology background, and feel like I'm making a bigger impact.

What is your background specifically? Sorry phone posting and can't look back at the moment.

The GIS stuff sounds promising but I have no idea if I'd be a good fit or not, plus a bachelors will be kind of pricey but at least it's marketable. Thanks everyone who's replied so far.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

N. Senada posted:

OP, you can reach my partner at Doe8200[at]gmail.com

Let me know when you've sent an email pretty please.

Will do, might try if I have a minute later tonight - thanks!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Good to know, thanks. Trying to sit down and figure out if it's a good call, especially starting again after 30.

Grad degrees seem to not be terribly worthwhile in most cases, it seems. I definitely think I'd have been better off going to work right after my BA, but I finished that and grad school right in the midst of the economic shitstorm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Didn't even know that sub forum existed, thanks!

• Locked thread