Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

cool dark edgy, or just into bondage

I was thinking "walking Kingdom Hearts joke".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

I was thinking "walking Kingdom Hearts joke".

I'm pretty sure Nomura's never designed a character in a leather harness. A belt corset seems pretty likely though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Original Length Before Editing: 66 Minutes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I did not see that voice coming off Ernie's tiny, childish body.

Ice Cream's design really reminds me of something but I can't quite say what. He looks like a young Aqualad from Young Justice, but I don't think it's that. Anyways..."fighter duelist"? That's a bit redundant, isn't it?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Anyways..."fighter duelist"? That's a bit redundant, isn't it?

I assume he meant "aggressive", Fire and Nature Creatures do not have Blocker natively so you have to be more aggressive when using them.

Darkness is also aggressive do to not only the fact that its Blockers are less ideal for defensive play do to them committing suicide whenever they win a battle but it's also the only Civilization that natively possesses the Slayer ability which automatically destroys any creature that battles a Slayer regardless of who wins.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 16, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Are you hype? Rusty's hype.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, I had forgotten how terrible every human looks in this game. And I didn't expect Fire Monk's robe to be animated, somehow. How the hell is that possible? Also how big is that card if a single piece has that size? I'm pretty sure that'd be unplayable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh god, I had forgotten how terrible every human looks in this game. And I didn't expect Fire Monk's robe to be animated, somehow. How the hell is that possible? Also how big is that card if a single piece has that size? I'm pretty sure that'd be unplayable.

It's a little unclear exactly what the lore is behind the cards in this game.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

A few TCGs have novelty cards that are larger than normal. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jumbo_cards_(TCG)

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 23, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh those are an actual thing in the Duel Masters OCG; they're called Psychic Creatures and their main gimmick is that, like creatures that have the Transform ability in Magic the Gathering, they can be flipped over if certain conditions are met which is referred to as Awakening:

A Psychic Creature in Normal form: Bolshack Dragon, the Temporal Blaze

And the Awakened form: Bolshack Möbius, Victory Awakened

Oh and it gets even crazier as some of these Psychic creatures have only a part of a much large one on the back of the card and by Psychic Linking two to three such creatures, you can awaken a massive one comparable to Creatures with the Meld ability in MTG:

Intense Boiling! Hot Spring Gallows

Plus Intense Sumo! Thrust Wrestler

Plus Intense World! Shachihoko Kaiser

Equals Gallows Hellish Dragon, Brink of Despair

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hand the card over, and no one gets hurt.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

And here we see perfect examples of terrible voice acting and terrible animation working very well together to create...this. Between the VA's attempts at making the twins or that Kiki girl sound weird (and ending up sounding TOO weird), the horrible animations that make everyone look like their bodies belong to some demonic entity that took possession of them, and the fact that all of this very much applies to the protagonist which makes him look excitable beyond the level of a shonen protagonist and somehow greatly increased his aggression, we have...Duel Masters.

It always surprises me how much worse it gets, really.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
When I pushed for a Duel Masters LP, I was not expecting this... quality... of game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

When I pushed for a Duel Masters LP, I was not expecting this... quality... of game.

It's too late to turn back now, we've already hit the main story

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, the Slayer ability I had warned about earlier finally rears its ugly head. The ability is even worst when paired with Blocker and while Kaijudo thankfully only had one such Creature, the Multi-civilization Twilight Worm who was also only able to attack creatures, classic DM loved using this combination though thankfully these creatures tended to be incapable of attacking altogether.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The ability is even worst when paired with Blocker

That sounds awful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Was this game originally made for Newgrounds?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was this game originally made for Newgrounds?

It was actually created for the old YoYoGames Sandbox. One of the higher profile entires there.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That sounds awful.

Imagine losing your high power Double Breaker to a Blocker with Slayer and can understand why Kaijudo was so gun shy with this combination.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Imagine losing your high power Double Breaker to a Blocker with Slayer and can understand why Kaijudo was so gun shy with this combination.

Was Blocker+Slayer really that common outside of Survivor combos?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There are five mono Darkness Blocker/Slayers in the TCG with an additional nine added in the OCG along with four multicolored ones, and this is not counting non-Survivor cards that give Slayer and Blocker. Meanwhile, the only Survivor to give Slayer is Gigaling Q with the only one to give Blocker is Gallia Zohl, Iron Guardian Q.

Bare in mind that the Survivors are ironically a very short lived Race in DM's history as they hadn't been seen again until 2015 with the newest one in 2016, roughly 11-13 years after they were introduced in 2003-2005 (for the OCG and TCG respectively).

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

There are five mono Darkness Blocker/Slayers in the TCG with an additional nine added in the OCG along with four multicolored ones, and this is not counting non-Survivor cards that give Slayer and Blocker. Meanwhile, the only Survivor to give Slayer is Gigaling Q with the only one to give Blocker is Gallia Zohl, Iron Guardian Q.

Bare in mind that the Survivors are ironically a very short lived Race in DM's history as they hadn't been seen again until 2015 with the newest one in 2016, roughly 11-13 years after they were introduced in 2003-2005 (for the OCG and TCG respectively).

I see. I haven't kept up with the game in forever. The only new mechanic that hasn't flown over my head is the Fortress mechanic.

Hmm, I wonder if my overpowered Light deck involving Diamond Cutter and lots of blockers would still work today.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, I have not been keeping up the with the OCG either so I have no idea what the gently caress is even happening within the universe of the card game itself at this point. The game has had including but not limited to: The addition of the aforementioned Survivors, the addition of multicolored creatures, an Alien invasion, various wars between enemy factions spanning across the five original Civilizations, and the addition of the colorless Zero Civilization and later the also colorless Jokers Civilization.

And I'm only including major events I know of so I've undoubtedly missed some events.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Did we collect all the pieces yet?

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
I know it's been said before, but does Rusty need to have his body spasm any time he needs to express an emotion more intense than indifference and/or smugness?

Also, I'm gettin' real sick of that guitar that sounds like the same guitar that's been in any early-2000s cartoon and/or anime dub. I'd hate to imagine the poor fool who grinds for cards and doesn't turn animations off. (if that's even a thing in this game) (at least Knight has the decency to have different music)

The idea of Shield regen and starting with extra shields sounds interesting, but I feel in practice all it serves to to drag out duels.

"Then why don't you use them to WIN once in a while!" was probably the closest Rusty has ever gotten to a good comeback, I'd wager.

Additional appended thought: man, this is really suffering from arc fatigue, isn't it?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

Additional appended thought: man, this is really suffering from arc fatigue, isn't it?

The whole Let's Play so far has been around/under an hour* in length, so the story already suffering from fatigue isn't a good sign.

*after editing

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What I can't forgive is how unconnected everything seems to be. You beat one guy, and then you have to go fight some other guy in another place. How do you know you have to do this? You check the menu, because the story itself doesn't even bother to point you in the right place. Rusty apparently just has psychic powers that railroad him into what he has to do.

This wouldn't take effort to fix, just have people actually communicate with Rusty in a way that isn't just "hey let's play a loving card game yaaaay" or "maybe you shouldn't trust the BDSM guy that much, lil bro". Or the newest in this update, "learn to play instead of relying on your cards you scrub".

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think the big problem is that card games and by extension anime based on them just do not translate well into video game format as we've seen with Yu-Gi-Oh many times as well.

Unlike say Pokémon, Digimon, or Monster Rancher which were designed as video games first and were adapted into anime, card game mechanics don't really lend themselves to the medium and you're more often than not heavily restricted in your card pool leading to the game becoming stale fast.

The only exception to this being the card game simulations that let you play with buddies online and even then it's more because makes the game more approachable financially.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

LoseHound posted:

I'm pretty sure Nomura's never designed a character in a leather harness. A belt corset seems pretty likely though.

Really old post, but

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I think the big problem is that card games and by extension anime based on them just do not translate well into video game format as we've seen with Yu-Gi-Oh many times as well.

There are great Yu-Gi-Oh TCG adaptations out there though? Like Tag Force on the PSP, the later GBA games, the PS2 titles...I like the gameplay in Duel Masters, too, it serves the only purpose it needs to, it's just so low-effort in every other regard.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fair point, I don't deny that it possible to make a good video game based on a card game anime but there are transition hurdles that you have to overcome, the big one being this aforementioned card pool limitations and the inherently repetitive nature of game making any flaws in the game that much more glaring.

And last I checked, there are a lot of bad or at least underwhelming Yu-Gi-Oh games as well.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games is apparently unreasonably, painfully difficult, and Falsebound Kingdom is on par with Digimon World 4 in its tediousness. I've heard good things about Dungeon Dice Monsters, Duelists of The Rose, and Capsule Monster Coliseum. The later games for the PS3/360 and Nintendo DS seem to be fairly straightforward adaptations of the card game, where the story is more of an afterthought.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 16, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I rented Capsule Monsters Coliseum and while I did enjoy it, I can see people getting frustrated by later opponents.

I've also heard of a good game based on 5Ds that appropriately combined dueling with racing since this was the series to introduce Duel Runners, the love child of a Duel Disk and a motorcycle, and the idea of Turbo Duels.

Yu-Gi-Oh games have always been more about playing the card game than about story which is unusual given that most of them are RPGs, a story driven genre.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

And last I checked, there are a lot of bad or at least underwhelming Yu-Gi-Oh games as well.

Oh, believe me, there's no denying that.

But I can list about 10 decent-to-good games, too, so I guess the point I'm trying to make is, anime card game video games can totally work, but Konami (and Atari, as we're seeing) rarely puts in the kind of effort we'd need to have something really, really good, instead we only get 'better than average' at best, and at worst you have Forbidden Memories and Reshef of Destruction.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

One of the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games is apparently unreasonably, painfully difficult

That has to be Reshef of Destruction. The archive has an LP of it (<- Shameless plug)

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That can said for licensed games in general: Can work but developer laziness results in stuff that's slightly above average at best and complete garbage at worst.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

That can said for licensed games in general: Can work but developer laziness results in stuff that's slightly above average at best and complete garbage at worst.

I would say it requires an excessively high amount of effort on the developer's part to create a slightly above average license game, given restrictions usually placed by the publishers demands. The end result is still slightly above average, though.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I was taking into account the kinds of restrictions inherent with licensed games when I made my comment. Disney was probably the most successful in that regard since their games were generally well regarded aside from the infamous Fantasia do to Disney having extremely high standards especially during the early 90s.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I do wonder how Fantasia turned out the way it did.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Apparently, it was outsourced to Infogrames and Disney didn't even realize that Sega even had the license for the IP in the first place. Disney's response could be best summed up by Mickey's arch-nemesis Pete:

They demanded that the game be pulled from shelves and it's believed that this event was the catalyst for Disney deciding to go into game development for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rusty's campaign is finished.

• Locked thread