Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Sweet, it's this game! Let it be known that all the DM games Atari made were good for one thing only: the gameplay. The graphics in this and the GBA games had like zero effort put into them. But it worked as a TCG simulation at least? They'd be way outdated though, DM is still going over in Japan.

WOTC tried to reboot this card game, but they made it a hundred times worse so it didn't last a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually it lasted two seasons and I'd argue that Kaijudo's mana system was an improvement since you didn't have to use a Mana card of a specific color to summon creatures/cast spells, you just had to unlock that color in the Mana zone. The reason I consider this an improvement was because being forced to use specific colors for any sort of summoning/casting is completely idiotic in my honest opinion.

Psssh, specific colors? Try MTG where an entire third of your deck is taken up by cards that function only as mana. 12-year-old me stayed way the hell away from MTG just for that alone, though obviously MTG is the game still around outside Japan.

But that is a good improvement, it's what this PS2 game does in fact. There aren't even any "phases" either.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

mandatory lesbian posted:

cool dark edgy, or just into bondage

I was thinking "walking Kingdom Hearts joke".

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Imagine losing your high power Double Breaker to a Blocker with Slayer and can understand why Kaijudo was so gun shy with this combination.

Was Blocker+Slayer really that common outside of Survivor combos?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

There are five mono Darkness Blocker/Slayers in the TCG with an additional nine added in the OCG along with four multicolored ones, and this is not counting non-Survivor cards that give Slayer and Blocker. Meanwhile, the only Survivor to give Slayer is Gigaling Q with the only one to give Blocker is Gallia Zohl, Iron Guardian Q.

Bare in mind that the Survivors are ironically a very short lived Race in DM's history as they hadn't been seen again until 2015 with the newest one in 2016, roughly 11-13 years after they were introduced in 2003-2005 (for the OCG and TCG respectively).

I see. I haven't kept up with the game in forever. The only new mechanic that hasn't flown over my head is the Fortress mechanic.

Hmm, I wonder if my overpowered Light deck involving Diamond Cutter and lots of blockers would still work today.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

I think the big problem is that card games and by extension anime based on them just do not translate well into video game format as we've seen with Yu-Gi-Oh many times as well.

There are great Yu-Gi-Oh TCG adaptations out there though? Like Tag Force on the PSP, the later GBA games, the PS2 titles...I like the gameplay in Duel Masters, too, it serves the only purpose it needs to, it's just so low-effort in every other regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

And last I checked, there are a lot of bad or at least underwhelming Yu-Gi-Oh games as well.

Oh, believe me, there's no denying that.

But I can list about 10 decent-to-good games, too, so I guess the point I'm trying to make is, anime card game video games can totally work, but Konami (and Atari, as we're seeing) rarely puts in the kind of effort we'd need to have something really, really good, instead we only get 'better than average' at best, and at worst you have Forbidden Memories and Reshef of Destruction.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

One of the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games is apparently unreasonably, painfully difficult

That has to be Reshef of Destruction. The archive has an LP of it (<- Shameless plug)

• Locked thread