Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Who's the kid with the spiky hair?

Oh? Well, his name is Shobu, but this game is not about him! As near I can tell, Duel Masters for the PS2 plays like the real life TCG. You are of course intentionally limited in your selection of cards, for the sake of the game design, but aside from that. And there's also a really weird story with “anime” cutscenes made in delicious 2000s Adobe Flash, but aside from that.

How's the let's play gonna go down?

The game requires us to play through all five campaigns to get the true ending, and well, the true ending is kinda the only ending... so we're gonna be spending a long time playing loving Duel Masters, here. On the bright side, I will not painfully commentate the minutiae of every single duel. Thanks to the magic of editing, each duel will be more like an overview of the opponent in question and the strategies I employed to defeat them. This way, none of us will want to die.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

By the way this game is not US exclusive, it was actually released in Japan as well.

Are you sure it's not a separate game with the same name? I know there are two games just called Duel Masters, but this one was developed by an American studio.

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo I thought you made that chapter card in MSpaint but no it's really like that :suspense:

I'm flattered that you think I can draw a Newgrounds.

Monk E posted:

This games cut-scenes seem like exactly the sort of thing the english dub of the anime existed to mock too bad the writers from that didn't get their hands on this too.

Yeah this isn't even remotely as self aware.

mateo360 posted:

Oh just recently got this game again. This ought to be good.

Did you lose it somewhere?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually, this game's official name is Duel Masters: Cobalt. And while several DM games were released internationally, none of them were exclusive to the west.

Don't assume that a game is US exclusive just because it was developed by an American studio.

"Japan had separate release with no differences except for their packaging."

Ah, that's probably why I got confused! And that's a fair point.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Duel Masters (the actual TCG) shut down by WotC because it was too similar to Magic? Or am I thinking of something else?

Though, it is interesting to see that something had the "goal attacking" type of life before Vanguard/Battle Spirits did it.

Considering Wizards of the Coast helped develop it, I don't think this is the one you're thinking of. I could be wrong though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Warmal posted:

I really enjoyed this card game. This game looks like something though. Whether it's something good or not is yet to be seen.

It gets really repetitive but, I mean, it is just dueling non-stop. All things considered they tried pretty hard.

Genocyber posted:

The "animation" in this game reminds me of this lovely Canadian not-anime cartoon I was forced to watch once.

I'd like to give Duel Masters: Cobalt credit for not airing on TV.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this game looks awful, holy poo poo. Not only the cutscenes, the interface is horrendous. Old YGO games looked better than this. It couldn't be that hard to make an interface that wasn't this ugly.

It is pretty overwhelming at first, but after playing the tutorial enough times you get used to it.

Shoeless posted:

I didn't realize when I asked for this what I was getting into. These animations are something else!

Most of the game is done with in-engine graphics -which you haven't even seen yet- and those are a a little better.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Leal posted:

Wait, that wasn't you? That was officially made for the game? Oh dear...

It's kind of great how many people are surprised by the game's production values.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Magic: the Gathering was at least built around using specific mana colors to do everything as the cards outright state how much of each color was required to perform a specific action. In Duel Masters however, the specific color requirement for summoning/casting was an artifact of the fact that in the original manga, the characters were actually playing MtG.

Wizards of the Coast commissioned a manga to tie into Magic: the Gathering but weren't fond of the approach Shingenobu Matsumoto took for it so when the subject of an animated adaptation came up, it was allowed but on the condition that Magic would not be used for it so the game Duel Masters was created to fill-in for MtG in the anime.

You are incredibly knowledgeable about these things.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

what the fucl is this and now do I get in on commentating the unedited versions of this poo poo

If you seriously want the files I have so far for some reason I can send them to you. But I assure you the editing will be essential.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Original Length Before Editing: 46 Minutes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Keep Darkness McEdgeLord as he is though, that's perfect.

All will come to fear the name Marcus.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Original Length Before Editing: 66 Minutes

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Are you hype? Rusty's hype.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh god, I had forgotten how terrible every human looks in this game. And I didn't expect Fire Monk's robe to be animated, somehow. How the hell is that possible? Also how big is that card if a single piece has that size? I'm pretty sure that'd be unplayable.

It's a little unclear exactly what the lore is behind the cards in this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hand the card over, and no one gets hurt.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Shoeless posted:

When I pushed for a Duel Masters LP, I was not expecting this... quality... of game.

It's too late to turn back now, we've already hit the main story

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

The ability is even worst when paired with Blocker

That sounds awful.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Was this game originally made for Newgrounds?

It was actually created for the old YoYoGames Sandbox. One of the higher profile entires there.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Did we collect all the pieces yet?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

Additional appended thought: man, this is really suffering from arc fatigue, isn't it?

The whole Let's Play so far has been around/under an hour* in length, so the story already suffering from fatigue isn't a good sign.

*after editing

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

One of the GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games is apparently unreasonably, painfully difficult, and Falsebound Kingdom is on par with Digimon World 4 in its tediousness. I've heard good things about Dungeon Dice Monsters, Duelists of The Rose, and Capsule Monster Coliseum. The later games for the PS3/360 and Nintendo DS seem to be fairly straightforward adaptations of the card game, where the story is more of an afterthought.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 16, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

That can said for licensed games in general: Can work but developer laziness results in stuff that's slightly above average at best and complete garbage at worst.

I would say it requires an excessively high amount of effort on the developer's part to create a slightly above average license game, given restrictions usually placed by the publishers demands. The end result is still slightly above average, though.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I do wonder how Fantasia turned out the way it did.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rusty's campaign is finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

It's been a while since the intro, but the game isn't over. We have four more campaigns to complete, and then the tournament occurs.

• Locked thread