Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I actually have this game and was into Duel Masters when it was alive in the US, I even supported the reboot Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters.

By the way this game is not US exclusive, it was actually released in Japan as well.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Are you sure it's not a separate game with the same name? I know there are two games just called Duel Masters, but this one was developed by an American studio.

Actually, this game's official name is Duel Masters: Cobalt. And while several DM games were released internationally, none of them were exclusive to the west.

Don't assume that a game is US exclusive just because it was developed by an American studio.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Sweet, it's this game! Let it be known that all the DM games Atari made were good for one thing only: the gameplay. The graphics in this and the GBA games had like zero effort put into them. But it worked as a TCG simulation at least? They'd be way outdated though, DM is still going over in Japan.

WOTC tried to reboot this card game, but they made it a hundred times worse so it didn't last a season.

Actually it lasted two seasons and I'd argue that Kaijudo's mana system was an improvement since you didn't have to use a Mana card of a specific color to summon creatures/cast spells, you just had to unlock that color in the Mana zone. The reason I consider this an improvement was because being forced to use specific colors for any sort of summoning/casting is completely idiotic in my honest opinion.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Psssh, specific colors? Try MTG where an entire third of your deck is taken up by cards that function only as mana. 12-year-old me stayed way the hell away from MTG just for that alone, though obviously MTG is the game still around outside Japan.

Magic: the Gathering was at least built around using specific mana colors to do everything as the cards outright state how much of each color was required to perform a specific action. In Duel Masters however, the specific color requirement for summoning/casting was an artifact of the fact that in the original manga, the characters were actually playing MtG.

Wizards of the Coast commissioned a manga to tie into Magic: the Gathering but weren't fond of the approach Shingenobu Matsumoto took for it so when the subject of an animated adaptation came up, it was allowed but on the condition that Magic would not be used for it so the game Duel Masters was created to fill-in for MtG in the anime.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

My personal favourite has to either be the futuristic light things or the hosed up black monsters.

Each of the five Civilizations had a motif: Light is very alien and robotic, Water is obviously aquatic but is also cybernetic, Darkness is very gothic and horror themed, Fire is heavily weaponized though the their technology isn't as advance as that of Light and Water to do them being being hosed over by volcanic activity, and finally Nature is tribal and the most primitive of the five.

Relationship-wise each Civilization has two allies and two enemies:
    Civilization - Allies - Enemies
  • Light - Water & Nature - Darkness & Fire
  • Water - Light & Darkness - Fire & Nature
  • Darkness - Water & Fire - Light & Nature
  • Fire - Darkness & Nature - Light & Water
  • Nature - Light & Fire - Water & Darkness

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Anyways..."fighter duelist"? That's a bit redundant, isn't it?

I assume he meant "aggressive", Fire and Nature Creatures do not have Blocker natively so you have to be more aggressive when using them.

Darkness is also aggressive do to not only the fact that its Blockers are less ideal for defensive play do to them committing suicide whenever they win a battle but it's also the only Civilization that natively possesses the Slayer ability which automatically destroys any creature that battles a Slayer regardless of who wins.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Aug 16, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Oh those are an actual thing in the Duel Masters OCG; they're called Psychic Creatures and their main gimmick is that, like creatures that have the Transform ability in Magic the Gathering, they can be flipped over if certain conditions are met which is referred to as Awakening:

A Psychic Creature in Normal form: Bolshack Dragon, the Temporal Blaze

And the Awakened form: Bolshack Möbius, Victory Awakened

Oh and it gets even crazier as some of these Psychic creatures have only a part of a much large one on the back of the card and by Psychic Linking two to three such creatures, you can awaken a massive one comparable to Creatures with the Meld ability in MTG:

Intense Boiling! Hot Spring Gallows

Plus Intense Sumo! Thrust Wrestler

Plus Intense World! Shachihoko Kaiser

Equals Gallows Hellish Dragon, Brink of Despair

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jul 24, 2017

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ah yes, the Slayer ability I had warned about earlier finally rears its ugly head. The ability is even worst when paired with Blocker and while Kaijudo thankfully only had one such Creature, the Multi-civilization Twilight Worm who was also only able to attack creatures, classic DM loved using this combination though thankfully these creatures tended to be incapable of attacking altogether.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

That sounds awful.

Imagine losing your high power Double Breaker to a Blocker with Slayer and can understand why Kaijudo was so gun shy with this combination.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
There are five mono Darkness Blocker/Slayers in the TCG with an additional nine added in the OCG along with four multicolored ones, and this is not counting non-Survivor cards that give Slayer and Blocker. Meanwhile, the only Survivor to give Slayer is Gigaling Q with the only one to give Blocker is Gallia Zohl, Iron Guardian Q.

Bare in mind that the Survivors are ironically a very short lived Race in DM's history as they hadn't been seen again until 2015 with the newest one in 2016, roughly 11-13 years after they were introduced in 2003-2005 (for the OCG and TCG respectively).

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
To be fair, I have not been keeping up the with the OCG either so I have no idea what the gently caress is even happening within the universe of the card game itself at this point. The game has had including but not limited to: The addition of the aforementioned Survivors, the addition of multicolored creatures, an Alien invasion, various wars between enemy factions spanning across the five original Civilizations, and the addition of the colorless Zero Civilization and later the also colorless Jokers Civilization.

And I'm only including major events I know of so I've undoubtedly missed some events.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I think the big problem is that card games and by extension anime based on them just do not translate well into video game format as we've seen with Yu-Gi-Oh many times as well.

Unlike say Pokémon, Digimon, or Monster Rancher which were designed as video games first and were adapted into anime, card game mechanics don't really lend themselves to the medium and you're more often than not heavily restricted in your card pool leading to the game becoming stale fast.

The only exception to this being the card game simulations that let you play with buddies online and even then it's more because makes the game more approachable financially.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Fair point, I don't deny that it possible to make a good video game based on a card game anime but there are transition hurdles that you have to overcome, the big one being this aforementioned card pool limitations and the inherently repetitive nature of game making any flaws in the game that much more glaring.

And last I checked, there are a lot of bad or at least underwhelming Yu-Gi-Oh games as well.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I rented Capsule Monsters Coliseum and while I did enjoy it, I can see people getting frustrated by later opponents.

I've also heard of a good game based on 5Ds that appropriately combined dueling with racing since this was the series to introduce Duel Runners, the love child of a Duel Disk and a motorcycle, and the idea of Turbo Duels.

Yu-Gi-Oh games have always been more about playing the card game than about story which is unusual given that most of them are RPGs, a story driven genre.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
That can said for licensed games in general: Can work but developer laziness results in stuff that's slightly above average at best and complete garbage at worst.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I was taking into account the kinds of restrictions inherent with licensed games when I made my comment. Disney was probably the most successful in that regard since their games were generally well regarded aside from the infamous Fantasia do to Disney having extremely high standards especially during the early 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Apparently, it was outsourced to Infogrames and Disney didn't even realize that Sega even had the license for the IP in the first place. Disney's response could be best summed up by Mickey's arch-nemesis Pete:

They demanded that the game be pulled from shelves and it's believed that this event was the catalyst for Disney deciding to go into game development for themselves.

• Locked thread