Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

it's going down that route for a few ME TOO ME TOO manufacturers mainly the lovely ones like lenovo-owned motorola and poor HTC

i don't think it'll happen for awhile but it will eventually happen, it makes engineering easier and once usb-c headphones become more commonplace i can see it not being a big deal anymore

LG will probably keep it for awhile along with google's pixels. samsung will probably drop it in 2-4 years. i'm personally already making the move to bluetooth so after awhile personally it wouldn't matter to me

ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

wtf is a touch bar

It's a touch sensitive strip that replaces your function row keys, so that when the computer freezes up or whatever or you need to access them, you can't anymore

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

nobody buys LG phones so they're gonna stick the headphone jack for as long as they think it differentiates them

Would probably work on me tbh

I like having both bluetooth and audio jacks and am willing to suffer the crushing indignity of a phone that is 0.01mm thicker as a result

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't ever see wireless charging becoming a big thing, especially with however Apple will implement it bc they will also remove the charging port

"Do you like to use your phone while it is charging?" is a pretty big dealbreaker, and if you're snapping something onto the phone to connect it to a wall then it's not actually loving wireless is it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

proprietary wireless charging protocol for the big bucks

"It's exaclty the same as what you're used to, but way bigger and heavier, and extra/replacement chargers cost $60 instead of $2"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nonsense posted:

wireless charging will still be lightning

usbc for nintendont only

They wouldn't switch to wireless being standard unless they also removed the lightning port

If people have the option to just use whatever they have laying around then the monetization aspect just isn't there, and Apple products are designed around selling overpriced accessories

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

logikv9 posted:

People will still buy it

Yeah probably. There's $1000 versions of the iPad that apparently people buy

At that point, what the gently caress

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I see wireless charging becoming way less of a priority if any of the dozen new battery technologies actually takes off, especially if it's super capacitors with decent energy density that can be charged in 30s

a revolution in batteries will be a kick in the rear end of just about every field of electronics tbh, it's been the limiting factor for ages now

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Considering that tech and computers is my bread and butter, it's astonishing just how much I distrust anything new and how hard I cling to old stuff

I'm not sure if it's because I'm getting older and my needs are changing, or if we've just reached a point where I feel like everything I could possibly need technology for in my day to day life is handled already with the devices I already own and all new advancements are of dubious use

Like nobody is making new ovens anymore, we're in the age of 8,000 single-use kitchen implements

Also I refuse to participate in the Internet of Things

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

like if I was given an internet enabled toaster like inevitably exists, I would literally open it up and remove the wireless card

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

why do refrigeratora need to crunch any numbers??????????? on internet???????????????????

To lay dormant until they are needed to DDoS every server farm in the USA

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

hearing that the US nuclear arsenal has huge chunks of it that aren't internet connected and run off floppy disks made me super reassured, I don't understand why people were freaking out about it. Do they really want to pay a whole bunch of money to end up getting Stuxnet'd?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

lamo @ luddites in this loving thread. try loving cooking rice on a wood stove with no light aside from the flames

Rice cookers are hardly high technology at this point. Anyway if you can boil water you can cook rice. A lack of light to work by is ur own dam fault

triple sulk posted:

Lol apparently people are pissed that att didn't make a super special awesome competitor plan to Verizon's unlimited plan and I just think lol who the gently caress needs unlimited data

I still have a plan from like 11 years ago that I refuse to change because it has unlimited data, even tho I never come close to going over 5gb

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not familiar with the refeerrcnce but wouldn't an "electrical cartridge" just be a fancy name for a battery

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FART

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Katya Jones, Ed Balls' dancing partner, definitely doesn't skip leg day, and it's gorgeous

Real melon crushers there

Paul Ryan?

Well, let's just say

:sad:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

i just drank some polish port. or something i can't pronouse (nor transcribe) the actual label.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sweet wtf @ poles

ya Port is the sugar bomb of fortified wines

Sweetest I go is Madiera which is medium. Usually I prefer dry sherry because it's super cheap, tastes fine, and has very low sugar content so it doesn't gently caress w/ my diet

Madiera is literally the best wine tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Squizzle posted:

port in genetal is wa too sweet for me which is weord af becausr i spent most of my 20s drimking v little but poert and scotch,

lost the taste for port since then, replaced it w rum for sweet and a lot of dry reds in my 30s which turned out to be a sustainable switxh, maybe portll come back for me as age makes my tastebuds lrss sensisticeand/or dead

still like whiskies all sorts tho

Madeira is what toasted the birth of this nation so we owe it to our grand experiment to be toasting with it when it dies

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Turdfuzz is the star at the center of the Solar System. It is a nearly perfect sphere of hot plasma, with internal convective motion that generates a magnetic field via a dynamo process. It is by far the most important source of energy for life on C-SPAM.

lol turdfuzz has a perfectly spherical dick haha

Baloogan was able to confirm haha

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Turdfuzz posted:

uh no dont make me send u a dick pic

better be in the ruined carcass of an innocent watermelon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Baloogan posted:

poo poo i have been flattened into an orbiting disk

Turdfuzz is the source of power that C-SPAM draws upon, and Baloogan is the gamma ray source being consumed by that source that will be the death of us all

I like it

If it were a sitcom I'd watch

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

more like trump is a black hole and we are the white hot accretion disc accelerated to such incredible speeds by his yawning maw that we blast x-rays brighter than any star into the universe

look here buddy, I told mah ma I'd become a ray that scours the earth of all life down to the bedrock and I don't break promises

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol LaDonna at least is deffo gonna die, the rest probably

Troubling how little I care, but he's not doing anything he didn't promise so why are they mad? All the people listed there were running his campaign

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hypha posted:

My favourite really sick foods are flash frozen fruit and metric tons of hot tea with honey.

Get well soon. We haven't even yet begun to laugh.

Best sick food is chugging nyquil and pedialyte until you sleep it off

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Krispy Kremepie posted:

So when I wipe after a poo, there is blood on the paper. I check my butthole but nothing is bleeding. Look inside all is well. This started Inauguration Day.

you've got a case of The Metaphors

it's fatal

you'll be writing dense, lovely books of philosophy soon

RIP

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hypha posted:

I found if something at least wasn't frozen, I would just vomit it back up.

Still good for a general cold.

What about frozen vomit

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hypha posted:

Can't say I tried

A thought for tthe future then! It seems very eco friendly

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ScrubLeague posted:

Nite Crew posted a lot at the top of this thread and then slowed down significantly, we should be well past 69 by now and yet

Set against the incomprehensible yawning gulf of infinity, 29 is basically the same thing as 69

So is every number

This is the world I live in and it's okay

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hypha posted:

Can you imagine the horror of a midwestern style pizza in New York?

It had mayo on it.

I live in the Midwest and lmao, not even we eat that

You sneer at our plebian cuisine and we sneer at your overpriced foodie garbage poo poo, but only one of us eats mayo pizza

Garlic heavy white sauce? Ya that's great, but that's Alfredo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This guy always runs as a Democrat because white Republicans won't vote for a black sheriff

I wonder if he thinks it's a coincidence that there's only two black Republicans between both houses

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao if anybody thought for a single second he wasn't a Trump guy

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The REAL Goobusters posted:

its gonna own when all these old rear end politicians loving die

Remember celebrating when Reagan kicked the bucket? It's going to be like a reverse Bowie when McConnell croaks

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nichael posted:

"If you can answer any of that I'll sit down and shut up like Elizabeth Warren."
holy poo poo

It's really encouraging to see people this angry at the right people for once, but where in the gently caress was this energy and passion on November 8th, 2016? Did people not realize how bad things were about to get if they didn't vote?

EMAILS EMAILS IS HILLARY TRUSTWORTHY EMAILS BENGHAZI

It seems like Trump's badness was saturated to us, but understand that Fox News didn't cover a single negative scandal of his and instead ran with all the crazy lies out of Macedonia, and all the other usual suspects were worse. If you never left that bubble you probably only heard about the pussy tape after you voted for him

It's depressing as poo poo, but people now realizing that the Republicans cannot be trusted to not kill them for a dollar is at least resulting in some fun vids

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Apraxin posted:

Hahaha, looks even parts of the FOP are starting to realize they might have hosed up by endorsing Trump. This is our local lodge chair, who looks like a Hollywood stereotype of a bloated, corrupt cop, hates BLM, and told people offended by one of his officers having a nazi tattoo 'calm down, it's just an eagle!:

Good job guys!:downsbravo:

gently caress them, they knew what he was. They voted to get turned into strike breakers at half pay while all actual enforcement is gutted or shifted to private security firms

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Former Everything posted:

lol, there are two groups of people

1. those who have always known that; and
2. those who immerse themselves in RWM and not only do not know that now but will never know that

the outspoken passion you are seeing across the country is not repubs suddenly becoming informed, lol

Naw, it's not the die hard true believers but not all of these are organized events. I do think it's primarily non-Trump voters, but I'd be comfortable looking at the recent town hall for a local congresscritter here and saying that a lot of these people didn't vote for Clinton. Likely they just didn't vote at all.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

<---- page 1 post haver

<---- page 100 post haver

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Stop infantalizing them. The single issue coal voters made their bed and now they can sleep in it. Turf out the morons like McConnell whose 30 year tenure in KY has overseen the death of coal and half the state.

Pity the kids who grow up drinking poison and can't escape ASAP, but not the people who did that to them

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They're gonna be mad when they find out that there's way more super conservative professors than they realize and it results in hiring liberal ones, especially if the ratio is by department

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol also maybe that can be used as a precedent to implement a similar law in police forces

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nichael posted:

I'm not infantalizing them, and I do not believe you can reach the vast majority of them. However, I do firmly believe that mental mindsets they are stuck in are not products of their own deficiencies, they're products of a hosed up and broken society. They are ultimately victims too, it's just hard to get them to help you in helping them.

Lie to them and then open up job training centers and/or renewable energy companies in the region and they'll come around

You'll never win them with the truth because the other guy will just lie, and it's a lie they've believed for DECADES that has gotten them to turn out for the liar every single time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol fat chance, collaborator

• Locked thread