Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

RIP Milo :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

logikv9 posted:

P sure dems will win the NJ gov seat, chris christie left a stench that carries over to all state Republicans

Yeah, dems are looking good in VA too

The primary races are the ones to watch here, too see if populist outsider candidates can beat McAuliffe's lieutenant governor and Literal Goldman Sachs Guy

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
People should start wearing maga hats to these town halls to give their congressmen false hope and then roast them anyway

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

the loud droning helicopters overhead really add to the cyberpunk dystopia vibe

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
ready player one is a book for people who subscribe to loot crate and treat collecting funko pop dolls as an "investment"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Shutting out the media doesn't work when there are tons of leakers willing to give more accurate information to them, all it does is remove the administration's platform to combat the leaks

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

GobiasIndustries posted:

I wonder how things are going in the alternate timeline where Hillary won WI MI & PA. Seems like best case scenario would be a 50-50 Senate plus Trump screaming every day about voter fraud.

gently caress that, I want to see the crazy timeline where Hillary's dumbass plan worked and she lost the rust belt but won anyway by flipping TX/AZ/GA

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

mormonpartyboat posted:

gently caress yeah

i wish texas had proper woods

I used to live in East Texas and the woods over there are scary as hell

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Quick, someone send them that "wall of burning tires" pitch

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

The GOP is going to tax fringe benefits

They are insane

It was very nice of the House GOP to come up with a plan that appeals to literally no one

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

paranoid randroid posted:

because the GOP has one of those IS YOUR COUNTRY A DICTATORSHIP Y/N? checklists and is going down it implementing each of the steps, but theyre really lazy and garbage so you end up with stuff like trying to ban CNN from useless press conferences and making plans to zerg rush San Francisco with 10,000 ICE agents who dont exist yet

Yeah its like the GOP got 60% done with priming the populace for fascism but then got impatient and tried to go full fash too early. You're supposed to destroy your political enemies and respect in existing institutions before going full fash you guys

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

you misunderstand, that's where it starts
Putin only does three pressers a year
our news will be propaganda soon, and that's it
that lack of access can be the downfall of a news corporation, information is all about access, without it, you are useless as a journalist

Access to Sean Spicer's bullshit briefings are worthless when there are tons of WH leakers giving out way more useful info

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

where does lauren mayberry land on this chart

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
people keep talking about how important and presidential this speech is like people aren't just going to forget about it two days from now, lol

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
that reminds me, it's going to be super fun to watch the anime neckbeard contingent twist themselves in pretzels when ajit pai gets rid of net neutrality

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

eh 4chan isn't super bandwidth like netflicks

4chan is hemorrhaging money as it is because no one wants to advertise on an image hosting website for neo-nazis and sexual deviants, ending net neutrality would kill it pretty quickly

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Pidgin Englishman posted:

OK but how the gently caress did Donald J Trump, reality TV star and dodgey realestate pretender, get voted President of the United States of America, population 300 million, the country with the largest GDP and armed forces, by its own people?

I mean

i mean, he didn't but whatever

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sincx posted:

The more I think about this, the more I think this is true.

He should've been the last person to vacation in the BVI after Trump was inaugurated. But he was, and from his photos, he apparently didn't have a care in the world. Why? He knew all this would be coming out.

I feel like Obama should invite Boehner over to his private island for margaritas as the world burns

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol even if trump somehow managed to purge every leaker in the IC and destroy the evidence he still has to deal with the fact that obama sent copies to half the world's intelligence agencies

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/lpolgreen/status/838502851907321856

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/DailyMail/status/838578571388018689

obama definitely bringing back choom gang

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Utz posted:

trump can't fire reince because bannon won't let him, is my guess

bannon thinks he needs him to keep Rs in congress compliant long enough to do some really radical poo poo and actually seize the state

of course bannon is planning to put reince's head on a pike as soon as feasible, but he probably thinks it'll take another few months

reince knows this and fears bannon, but also hates him

he's bannon's gollum and trump is the one ring

Bannon loving hates Reince, he'd wring his neck right now if he thought he could get away with it

Bannon likes to pretend to be a genius mastermind, but he's really an impatient dumbshit who wants full fascism now, and thinks that "shock and awe" is an effective political strategy. Reince is only there because the congressional GOP will freak the gently caress out if their only connection to the Trump WH is severed, and the day he is inevitably cut loose is going to be pure :yum:

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Utz posted:

i don't think bannon's that smart but he's the smartest among them

and you're right that he's impatient, but he obvs doesn't have too long to live when you look at him

he wants to go out with a bang i guess

bucket list: dismantle the state

Bannon isn't smart at all, he just seems smart because he constantly tells people in interviews that he's smart, while he puts his hands in an evil finger pyramid over a copy of The Art of War. He's the most dangerous part of Trump's WH simply because his goals are so absurdly evil, but at the end of the day he's just an internet blogger with no friends that thinks that he's the protagonist of a Tom Clancy novel

The smartest member of Trump's team is Priebus, he's the duct tape singlehandedly keeping this shitshow afloat and things are going to get even crazier than they are now if he gets fired

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

I think we just found tomorrow's thread title

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
lol remember the time the Republicans almost got Obama to destroy the entire welfare system and hosed it up because it was only 99.9% of what they wanted

in all seriousness, I don't think that House plan is going anywhere because there are at least three GOP senators smart enough to know that signing it would kill their career

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
not really convinced that Trump would have much sway here, because Republicans know that losing Medicare is the one thing that even diehard trumpers would turn on them for

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
man could you imagine if a political party won control of the entire government in a wave election and squandered all of it in under two years by trying to pass a healthcare law that everyone hates

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/CNET/status/839262645182218240

RIP NPS

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

accelerationism owns

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Virginia governor McAuliffe getting his state through these tough times

https://twitter.com/13NewsNow/status/839128638079569920

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Augus posted:

ok what's up with the thread title now

http://www.goldcircle.co.za/trump-speechless-gelding/

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Jim Justice looks like Jabba the Hutt in a wig

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
hey guys I think we just found Sessions' replacement for AG

https://twitter.com/KTLA/status/839342671101489153

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

beergod posted:

Assuming they wanted to: why couldn't they?

Google tells me it is part of a reconciliation Bill, for which the Republicans would only need 50 votes. If that's the case, why not couch everything into the reconciliation Bill (so the filibuster is meaningless)? This is probably the wrong thread for such serious posting but you guys are the only thing keeping me from full-on madness.

iirc bills can only be passed via reconciliation if they are budget related and the CBO verifies that they don't increase the deficit. so add another hurdle to the GOP's impossible task, lol

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

quadrophrenic posted:

good thing he *glub* got all the *glub gurgle* mexicans out *glububblubba*

the worst thing about this map is that all the assholes in the panhandle get to stay dry

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Weeping Wound posted:

the "sand as commodity" article is pretty drat telling about what folks have to do to keep from sinking

who the hell knows for places that aren't Miami and are on the coast

the problem isn't just that Miami is sinking, it's that rising salt water threatens freshwater sources by seeping into the local aquifers. Miami is going to run out of drinking water long before it sinks below the sea and things are going to be nightmarish when it happens

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Weeping Wound posted:

and that is even loving worse, holy poo poo

you can't save 'em Ed Balls, not from the salt water or the rise of it

yeah it turns out that building a major city on top of a hurricane-prone sheet of porous limestone surrounded by the ocean is extremely bad and unsustainable, New Orleans has a better shot at surviving global warming than Miami does and it was built below sea level

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Weeping Wound posted:

what's up with New Orleans? simply better because of the river delta, better rock, or just because they aren't built on a beachfront at the edge of nowhere?

New Orleans has the levee system protecting it, also it's situated on solid soil and not limestone. The reason why Miami is ultra-hosed is because limestone is full of tiny holes like swiss cheese, which means that you can't even build a levee system if you wanted to because the water is coming up from underground through the limestone. This is also why their aquifer is in danger of contamination, because salt water can just seep right through if the sea level gets high enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reconciliation can repeal legislation, but it can't enact legislation.

So the GOP can repeal Obamacare with just Republican party-line votes, but if they want to pass a replacement, they need Dem votes to break a filibuster.

(I think the time to have the filibuster nuked has already come and gone, and the GOP was unlikely to do that anyway)

The thing is, it looks like enough Republicans hate this bill that they couldn't get a party-line vote even if they only just needed that, so the Dems don't even have to filibuster.

It's a hell of a conundrum: you can repeal Obamacare now, but if you don't have something ready to go to replace it right away, you're going to leave millions of people twisting in the wind and the insurance industry ashambles, with both of those groups of people loving pissed at you.

Even if you did have something ready to replace it, you're basically counting on your caucus/coalition holding together from the repeal vote all the way to passing the new bill. If anyone decides to gently caress up the deal by holding the new bill hostage after the repeal has already passed, you're in trouble.

Now, the situation I'm describing would require Dem Senators to have spines and be willing to play hardball - if you get folks like Manchin willing to work with McConnell for the sake of passing some legislation, then we're all hosed anyway.

But the nice thing is that if Congressional Republicans tear themselves apart over the new bill just among themselves, then the Dems never factor into the equation at all.

It could get really terrible for a lot of people if this goes full anarchy, such as an Obamacare repeal without a replacement ready to go and the thing drags on for months, but hell, it's 2017, poo poo's terrible regardless.

Also please make that a double cheeseburger. DOUBLE.

Manchin isn't going to budge on Obamacare, if only because that would mean getting rid of the rider that forces coal companies to cover miners with black lung which would be political poison in WV

• Locked thread