Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Horizon Forbidden, West - Adam really wanted to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Horizon: Forbidden West: San Francisco is in ruins but still way overpriced

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Horizon: Zero Dawn: Forbidden West: Dawn Zero: Horizon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Forbidden Horizon: Dawn: Tiny Tina Goes West

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was replaying The Frozen Wilds this morning and it's pretty crazy that you can stand on a platform where Chloe Price, Female V, and Commander Shepard are all just a few feet away from each other.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I was replaying The Frozen Wilds this morning and it's pretty crazy that you can stand on a platform where Chloe Price, Female V, and Commander Shepard are all just a few feet away from each other.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Horizon Zero Dawn - Concrete Beach Party Reunion Tour

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe it's just not being able to see the poo poo in motion but the sequel images of Aloy seem to look like they added some weathering to her face. Which is kind of a cool nod to "life ain't easy"

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Alloy spends almost all her time outdoors, her skin should be like tanned leather. Hats or no.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Collateral posted:

Alloy spends almost all her time outdoors, her skin should be like tanned leather. Hats or no.

Maybe there's a type of robot dinosaur that can be harvested for skin cream.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Collateral posted:

She's a redhead, she's as tan as she's going to get. In fact, I'd say it's unrealistic that she isn't bright red or on fire most of the time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Horizon Zero SPF

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Aloy tries to access some old facility as Sobeck and the system just responds, "Yikes"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pook Good Mook posted:

Aloy tries to access some old facility as Sobeck and the system just responds, "Yikes"
FaroCart pops online and is like "Suggested item for you, NuTro Cream: Restores damaged skin, removes blemishes... Shall I order a Monthly Delivery for you?"

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Good, at least it would make internet weirdos and incels lose their collective poo poo seeing a woman affected by her environment.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I would be extremely here for a middle-aged-badass Aloy.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

The Lone Badger posted:

:same:

I just want her to go around kicking robodino rear end and not giving a crap.

Selane
May 19, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

to be fair isn't that just Elizabet Sobek

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I have to think all those rumors of some early build of Forbidden West getting leaked were completely false, as it's been over a week and the only thing to come of it were those two screenshots. Probably some localization guy + QA tester who sent a couple screencaps to his friends that later wound up on the internet. Either that or Sony immediately went DEFCON 1 on clamping down the IP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

red ted extinction

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

:hmmyes: Definitely the best suggestion so far.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
After what happened to TLOU2 (which absolutely cost them sales and word of mouth, even if the customers were ultimately happy), I'm leaning towards the latter.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

After the MSFT purchase I can see the Horizon: For Blizzard's (Sex) Pest(s)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Horizon: Formfitting Vest
Horizon: For Making Jest
Horizon: Forgoing Rest
Horizon: Formica Fest
Horizon: Forboding Nest
Horizon: For Lemon Zest
Horizon: For Teeth Use Crest (special sponsored edition)

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 19, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

All right boys, it's hype season! I've made an HFW thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991284

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I don't wanna know anything about the new game until I can play it on PC or I get a PS5 so I guess time to turn the internet off for a year

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sivart13 posted:

I don't wanna know anything about the new game until I can play it on PC or I get a PS5 so I guess time to turn the internet off for a year

Ah, an optimist, I see.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.rewards.sony.com/campaignpage?landingpage=hzd-sweeps

Just got an email from Sony, they're doing a "Beat HZD for a chance at prizes" contest, if you already beat it you're automatically entered when you sign up for rewards.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Dienes posted:

Ah, an optimist, I see.

At getting a PS5 or H:FB coming out on PC? Both could be likely.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Medullah posted:

https://www.rewards.sony.com/campaignpage?landingpage=hzd-sweeps

Just got an email from Sony, they're doing a "Beat HZD for a chance at prizes" contest, if you already beat it you're automatically entered when you sign up for rewards.

Just to clarify, and you can do something like this for any US sweepstakes:

https://www.rewards.sony.com/hzd-sweeps-official-rules.html posted:

If you are not a Sony Rewards member and do not wish to become a member and/or if you do not wish to play and beat the Game in order to enter the Sweepstakes, send an e-mail to SRSweepstakes@am.sony.com with your First Name; Last Name; E-mail Address; Phone Number (collectively, the “AMOE Entry Information”), and the words AMOE Entry in the Subject Line (“AMOE Entry”). Emails must state they are for the AMOE Entry or they will be disqualified.

It's how they get around gambling laws. No purchase necessary - this option also exists.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

e: moved my moaning to the HFW thread

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Since the spoiler thread is in the vault, this'll go here.

Forgive me gushing... every time I think of it I notice something new - a parallel here, a joined-up story there, earlier prejudices, assumptions and perspectives changed by later events and information. It's the name of the game, of course. You see a different horizon every time you take a step.

It wasn't too far in before I realised that the game is JUST JOKES, and as with all the best jokes, the laugh comes from the recontextualisation of what you've previously seen or thought, and the game is constantly doing it, misdirecting you here and rug-pulling you there. And as with all the best jokes, the punchlines come before the setups.

Yes, they're not FUNNY jokes, but they're not meant to be - they're bitter jokes, grim jokes, satirical jokes, ironic jokes, on-the-nose jokes (Ted "Pharaoh" JFC - but that's been done to death).

Now don't get me wrong, before you hit the UM AXSHULLY button about misdirection and rug-pulling and instead point out how obvious and predictable everything actually was, yes, the broad strokes were clear from the beginning, the very first tooltip says it's Earth in the far future after the collapse of civilisation and humans are living in smallish tribal societies, fighting these weird machines. Soon you see a hologram of yourself-but-not-you from the past and yes you've already got it, here's a few datapoints about everything being automated, and yes it's a robot apocalypse, yes it's cloning, it's technology magic, whatEVER. Obviously, you think, robots rose up and killed all the humans, you think, just like they're doing now, you think. And you're both completely right and completely wrong at the same time. Plenty of confused folk still believe the GAIA machines are the robots that killed the world and since you can destroy them with a bow and arrow, how could they win? It's dumb, it doesn't make sense! And there are plenty that unironically think Ted Faro Did Nothing Wrong. Thankfully there are no real Ted Faros though.

Here you are, a six-year-old at the site of a mass suicide, and it only gets crazier and more brutal from there, where ultimately, "everyone was eaten by robots dissolved by robot nano-haze" seems perfectly plausible. You go from a toddler wanting to know who her mother was, escape tribal politics and customs holding you back, through the biggest war-crime in history to the very tippy-top of a literal world-ending apocalypse, and all the way back down again to find... well, not your mum exactly, but You plus 99.47% of You too. And all the time, you were curious, and you were willful, you were unstoppable, even, but with enough compassion to heal the world, just a little bit. Look, these are MANLY tears, alright?

Plus lots of spectacular machine-smashing action, murder and flirting. Video games amirite.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's all game jokes. The only place you can hide is in grasses the same colour and shape of your unique hair.

"Processed Metal Block", c'mon, it's wombat poop. Seems like there was a cut gameplay mechanic around this. Scrappers and glinthawks converge when you down a big machine. Maybe that *is* the joke... it's relatively rare but sells for almost nothing.

Find two power cells to get the power armour: surprise mothernothaver, now find three more!

"Don't look down... don't look down..." and if and only if you DO look down... "DAMMIT!"

It's all on-the-nose jokes. Sylens' Lance? Well of course Sylens is Lance, he's that well-known actor-man off the television.

Cauldrons are very yonic, it's all triangles and fallopian and uterine imagery. You get into a cauldron by jamming your special stick right on in there and wiggling it around on the button. In a nice touch, their machines have little logos indicating their place of manufacture. Branding is king.

All the Faro robots are ED-209... they work, but they overheat and collapse even in normal use. The Scarab especially is a big dick on legs. You can shoot the balls off.

Lis is Alpha (Alpha Prime in fact) and starts everything, Faro's Omega though, the end of all things.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Everyone talks, but no-one says what they mean. Teersa knows who went out and dragged the dying Rost back to the Sacred Land, but doesn't give the name even when Aloy asks. (It's clearly Grata.)

Aloy insinuates, but Sylens truthfully insists he doesn't work for the Eclipse, eliding the fact he was instrumental in enabling them.

The FAS PR people fret over the "dolphin video" and refer to turning endangered dolphins into a gigantic bloody milkshake as "biomatter conversion". Stay on-message.

Every time Lis says killer robots, Ted snaps back with Peacekeepers! Our mistakes? Your mistakes, I think you mean.

Faro worries about "it" being "contained", but he's not talking about the swarm, he means the PR nightmare that's coming. Lis sees right through him.

Lis gives Faro a choice and he thinks the choice is sign the ZD proposal or not, but the *choice* she's actually giving him is what she's going to tell the JCs.

Ted hesitantly explains to the employees that the retooling of FAS back to making human-operated weapons platforms (for O:EV, but he doesn't mention that) is a massive, uh, growth opportunity...

Lis' presentation talks about all the bits of ZD but conveniently doesn't mention Hades, even though it's right there in the graphics as one of the SFs.

The comms from the military... and the originals... and which were approved and which were not.

The biggest one of all: Faro wipes APOLLO so no-one would know he was the cause of it all, and disingenuously disguises it as knowledge-is-a-curse compassion for the future humans. This isn't even a matter of opinion, people who think otherwise are trying to sell you something, even if it's their own neoliberal brain-rot. Nothing Faro says about this should be taken at face value. Yeah, he's going mad from the guilt. But he'll handle that. He'll eat his nice food and screw his sexbots and die in luxury, up there in his stupid bloody pyramid. His real problem is that he's facing a future, even in death, where he's known as the biggest fuckup in human history and his fragile trillionaire ego can't take it. He may even have fooled himself into *believing* he cares about future humans' knowledge of the old world being a detriment to them. It's not a lie if you believe it, Jerry! These are excuses, rationalisations. He's trying to salve his narcissistic injury. See how steely and determined he is in the datapoints as he moves from madness to clarity compared to how mumbly and embarrassed he becomes when he first shows up in front of the Alphas, the people who did all the actual work. He hates getting his hands dirty, remember. OK, job done, sexbot time.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's all reversals. Faro's hailed as "the man who saved the world": environmental disaster was averted in the clawback decade (by Lis and Margo), but Capitalism Found A Way to destroy everything anyway.

Aha! So predictable - here's your standard YA friend and enemy-that-grudgingly-becomes-a-frNOOOOOOPE teenagers machine-gunned on-screen and then blown up.

No-one can leave the Sacred Land. Oh but you can leave if you're a seeker. You can leave for good if you're a death-seeker. That's fine. But you can't come back, unless you do come back. Welcome back, but not welcome back. The made-up pedantry and hidebound nature of the cargo-culted Nora laws is hilarious every time it comes up.

Sylens mentions superweapons at FAS. At USRC, Herres introduces O:EV as an attempt to buy time to build Zero Dawn and sell ZD to the public as the top-secret superweapons programme that will save us. The JCs know it's fake but A+S take it at face value: they didn't see the earlier talks. "What sort of superweapon did Elisabet make?" muses Aloy as she exits USRC. So this drags you along the wrong track with Aloy and Sylens. Later on, Herres himself pierces the veil.

Margo: "My task queue stretches out like three years". Oh dear.

Sylens gives you a new spear to attach the Master Override to... thus allowing him to capture Hades. This is the real reason Sylens came to GAIA Prime in person, he was dropping off his creation. It's also a game joke: neither Aloy, nor you, the player, actually *needed* a new spear, but you both go OOH NEW SPEAR! and pick it up without thinking, you fools, you utter chumps.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's all parallels. Eclipse symbol is like HADES symbol. No imagination, these people. Turn your face to the sun, Helis, being murderised by an innocent teenager is the least you deserve. FULL loving FIST.

Travis Tate points out that extinction is natural and ZD is the unnatural thing. Susanne Alpert, the environmental reclamation expert and a perfect example of someone who should be all on-board for joining Project Zero Dawn, chooses immediate euthanasia: sometimes life DOESN'T come back!

It's all ironies. In the final scramble, Ronson misses Paech's goodbye moment, "...and I didn't get the bloody birds of paradise saved either."

We can assume all the tribes, the new humans... were started by resentful starving horny illiterate teenagers with barely a kindergarten-level education. And the Carja religion based on the Sun in large part surely because the kids were keen to see the REAL Sun.

The Nora's tale of the creation of the world told in MH before the Proving is pretty much correct, just wrapped up in cargo-culted mysticism.

Herres' confession, his allocution of crimes. It's an important word, he wants to be judged, he wants it archived in APOLLO, and this is the contrasting clue that proves Faro Is Wrong. But too late, the APOLLO stacks have closed, and so even if APOLLO had not been wiped, no future human would have learned about it. Aloy finds it though. Ironies within parallels within ironies. That's Herres' body on the floor of the JC meeting room, in front of the console where he asks Lis to add the data to APOLLO.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
It's all comedy. Aloy ain't no dope, she knows the world is a globe... Sylens in shambles.

"Welcome. You are three hundred and fifty thousand days late for your meeting."

It's all black comedy. The build-up just in the ZD reception and lounge was masterful. "Candidates"? "Screaming and sobbing"? "Can we get some soundproofing?" What the hell are they doing in there? They kidnapped you to a black-site and now you're waiting to get processed by sinister people for unexplained purposes, yeah you'd be flinging a few chairs around. I mean, what about the herbal teabags?

The pranks on Blevins, and his eventual fate being the result of a prank gone wrong, by a person we sympathise with.

Here's the real hero, Multiservitor B1-23, who bravely did his final duty carrying little #LK1A1-4510 outside the E9B1 hatch, found collapsed in the lobby of Eleuthia-9. A deliberately-missed opportunity for a joke in having him faceplanted right behind the door, which just adds to it - many playthroughs I've seen don't notice the guy at all.

And at the end, the big bad is defeated, and we're off into the sunset, literally. CYAN, not part of ZD but a high-functioning AI nonetheless, seems happy pootling around her little retreat. But nope! HEPHAESTUS is still making bigger and better hunter-killers, the terraforming will collapse at some point, and the other SFs are off doing god-knows-what.

Even gentle DEMETER, left to her own devices, is making Metal Flowers and gang-tagging them with a big D (Δ). Also around Lis's corpse. Aww. And this has to be significant, it's the last thing you see before the credits.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Now it's time to make a controversy out of nothing!

We are Carja. In us is the blood of those led by Araman from persecution and pursuit, so long ago. Out of the far Savage East we came, guardians of a treasure greater than land or metal: the Leaves of the Old Ones.

Araman found the Leaves in a ruin, picked out by a beam of sunlight, and he recognized at once their importance. Within was etched the first teachings of how to observe the Sun, to recognize its guidance, and to understand the place of man. From out of the Leaves came the first glyphs, the first writing, so our knowledge could last longer than voices.

But when our forefathers offered to share this gift, they were driven out by those they had once called tribesfolk—these ones feared to have the light of knowledge brought to bear on their ignorance, or were jealous of its power. And so began the long wandering of our people, trusting only that the Sun would guide them and deliver them from the barbarian tribes.

In the same way history is written by the victors, it's important to remember these accounts are written by the self-serving.

Araman == "are a man", the most basic name a male could be given. Second or third generation post-E9 child.

An early Nora found a science book. This is what wikis and :reddit: etc seem to think, but (loud voice) I RECKON (normal voice) it's actually a Focus.

Found in a ruin, illuminated by a shaft of sunlight... remind you of anything that happened to anyone we know? A book would have faded and rotted in those 300+ years. Plus, the kids can't read old-world language - all their education is about colours and running and jumping and blowing off steam and there are no words in the wall paintings in E9, whereas an old-world Focus could teach Araman to read, like hers teaches Aloy, so now you have the first glyphs and writing. It would also give directions ("recognise its guidance", the compass) and so on. The Nora continue to not read: they have an oral tradition, and their signposts in the Sacred Land are just symbols.

So no, it's a Focus. Focuses are leaf-shaped. The Leaves name is a writer misdirect: we know that a book is made of leaves (pages), but no-one growing up in a vacuum with no written tradition knows that or would call it that. But they know what shape a leaf is.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
A mystery. If this is brought up in HFW don't spoil it please.

Twelve outlanders came through Daytower, took hostages at Mother's Vigil and camped beyond Devil's Thirst, killing hostages when Nora approached. Strange noises. Two days later they killed the rest of the hostages and beelined out.

This is a drat specific story with far more detail than it needed, buried in optional dialogue. Rost had to go as far as the Forbidden West to hunt them down? This is sus as hell. They were there for a purpose.

I wish I could find it again, but I recall I found a unique building around DT, in a clearing in a forest, some way from the main area and not named on the map, that looked like it could have been something like a small lab or observatory. It was pretty intact and didn't look typical, it was placed. Wonder if it's related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon