Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Junpei posted:

So what are you building Naoya to be?

Hmm, either an all-rounder or a magic-user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Did the PSP localization have the secret fun?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
What are all they attack types possible?

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Junpei posted:

What are all they attack types possible?

You've got Tech, Rush, Special Phys, Sword, Two-Handed (sword), Spear, Axe, Whip, Thrown, Arrow, Fist, and Gun. Yeaaaah, there's a reason most of these were ditched for future incarnations.

If we're also talking magic, you've got Fire, Ice, Wind, Earth, Electric, Nuclear, Gravity, Blast, Death, Nerve, Occult, Curse, Expel, Prayer, Miracle, and Bless, along with special magic that can do stuff like warp you to a dungeon entrance or null damage floors.

Speaking of battles, the next update should be up either tonight or tomorrow, thanks for sticking with me!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 6 - Jail break

With Maki now in tow, the party heads out from school and over to the 3rd ward to the police station.

Strange Atmosphere
Conversation - Generic 1

Er... yes. Masao should be detained in the prison cells, Naoya. But we can't access that section without a key. What to do...?
They might have left it somewhere. Let's see if we can find it.
True. Could you help search, Naoya?

The group splits up in search of the key, with Naoya making a beeline for the top right of the room.

More police stations should label their important key boxes with a big 'ol "KEY."

Masao should be in the prison. I'm loathe to rescue him, but he does have the security card.
Prison... Oh, yes, the prison cells. Yes, that's right, they did have those.

Mikage Police Station
MAJIN...FOREVER (Dungeon - Police Station)

The police station is a very basic dungeon, with only two floors to its name and no gimmicks. There's not much to talk about with it, so I'll take the chance to discuss our current party and their starting Personas.

The player is given complete control of Naoya's stats, so you can build him as you'd like. I'm going for a well-rounded Naoya who specializes in speed and vitality. His Persona Seimen Kongou fights with Wind and Tech moves and mostly deals with strength and agility.

Maki is the requisite mage character who heals and dishes out some nice magic damage. Her Persona Maso specializes in Ice and has a nasty Arrow attack called Rapid Fire that hits a large area 3-5 times.

Though he looks intellectual, Nanjo is actually better at physical attacks. His main draw is that he puts a lot of points into vitality, turning him into a natural damage sponge. His Persona Aizen Myouyou dabbles in Miracle damage as well as buffs.

In almost no time, the party has made it to the prison cells.

Strange Atmosphere
Brown's Theme

You won't get away with this!

We should play nice for now and... Huh?
Hey, there they are! You okay, Masao? ...Huh? Hidehiko's here too!
Hah... A cage suits this monkey.

Wait a sec... Maki?
Hey, it's you guys. Ohhh, I get it... You missed me that much, huh?
Hey, Hidehiko? Why were you gonna play nice with us?
Urgh...
Most likely, he mistook us for someone else. Fortunately, we're on your side. Isn't that good to hear, Hidehiko?

That can wait for later. Let's get them out!

Maki steps up and unlocks both of the cells, letting the two step out.

So I came here looking for some, but I ended up getting caught with Mark!
Shuddup, Hidehiko! Just... shut up! Maki... Why're you here? It must've been a long trip... Are you feelin' okay!?
C'mon, Masao, why're you joking around like that? I'm totally fine!
S-So I see... Okay, then. Anyways--

Confrontation

Look, Baldy, this is goin' too drat far, even for a joke. I haven't done anything!
Wait... something's wrong. Masao, they're--!
Police: Lieutenaaant, this kid broke out of priiison.
Lieutenant: I seeee... Vicious criminals must be execuuuted.
Ugh, that stink... Don't tell me...!

A Lone Prayer
Awakening Legend (Battle - Awakening)

We didn't have a choice! No hard feelings, right, old man?

The demon lieutenant cracks his whip across the ground as the zombies stand at attention.

Huh!? Wh-Wh-What the...!?

Each party member summons their Persona and blasts one of the zombies, until only the lieutenant is left.

Cascades of ice come tumbling down onto Brown.

Brown awakens to the Persona Nemhain, the Irish goddess of havoc and war who can kill 100 men with a single battle cry.

Daily Life
Brown's Theme

You too, eh, Hidehiko? But why him, of all people...?
Alright, lemme explain it to you. Listen up...

Several seconds pass, the screen fading back in from black after Mark's explanation.

Ever since I was a kid... I suspected something was different about me...
I don't think he really gets it... Oh well. Anyways, I'm comin' too, Naoya. I'd be nervous for you guys if you were on your own.
We could say the same about you. You should leave the security card in Naoya's care, Masao.
Alright... Here's the security card, man. Better not lose that thing...
We have a firearm for you, Masao. Just don't shoot us by mistake.

Without me, you fools don't have any star power, y'know? You guys need me to whip you into shape! How about it, Naoya!?
...It's your call, Naoya.

This main route of the game has four optional characters for you to choose from to fill the party's fifth slot. In the original PS1 localization, this is the only way you could play with any of these characters and you could only use one every time you replayed the game. However, with the inclusion of the game's second route, it's possible to use every single character without having to do any replaying. Since we'll get a chance to see Brown later, we'll be skipping over him for right now. Sorry, Brown!

Oh? Is that... Really? You're sure you won't regret it? Alright... Guess I'll head to the school, then. Later, chumps!

Dejected, Brown leaves the rest of the group and heads out.

Hold on tight to that security card. We need it to get into the secret freight entrance at the abandoned factory.
I can't believe ol' Baldy turned into a demon... This is so messed up!

The party backtracks to the front of the police station.

I'm wondering if we should have left those two locked up once we had the card.
Hey, Naoya... Nanjo keeps saying something's wrong with me. You think so?
Baldy better not let the demons overtake the police that easy! Me and Baldy... I mean, that lieutenant, had run-ins before, and it pissed me off... But he really was worried about me. Could that demon have...? Nah, it can't be... There's no way that dude would lay down and die, right?

Before we head to the factory, the construction workers near the subway tell us that a cute girl in the same uniform as us went down into the subway. I can only think of one girl who'd be wandering around...

Daily Life
Elly's Theme

Maki...? When did you get out of the hospital? But then, I suppose now isn't the time for such questions. I'm glad to see you all safe.
So this place is out too, huh?
Yes... I took a look around to be certain, but it's all buried... It seems there really is no way out. How about all of you? Have there been any new developments?
Actually, yeah. It's a long story, but here goes...

Like with Brown, Mark takes the time to tell Elly what's been going down.

I'm sad I wasn't there to witness it... But it sounds like it's only just begun. There should be more chances for me! Won't you take me with you, Naoya? There's so many things I'd love to see. Please, let me come along!

Sorry, Elly, we'll be able to see you again later as well. Bye bye for now!

I'm going to look around town some more. Stay safe, all of you.

Elly leaves in search of new strange phenomena to discover.

There's one place left to go before we head out to SEBEC, and we'll finally be able to put our spell cards to use. The door here was locked before, but we're now free to enter it.

Aria of the Soul
Velvet Room

This place exists between dream and reality, mind and matter... It's been quite some time since we last had a guest. This is a room that only those bound by a "contract" may enter... From this day forth, you will be our guest in this Velvet Room. Your destiny will require you to hone your power... And for that, you will inevitably require our help.
The Velvet Room is also known as the room of Personas. A Persona is a side of you that shows itself when you face the world... Think of it as a facade of protection you wear to face hardships in life. Hm... Perhaps that may have been rather difficult to understand...
To battle opponents that cannot be dealt with by human strength alone... We in this room will lend you inhuman power... The power of demons... Now then. Allow me to explain my role here...

Igor goes on to explain how the spell cards we've gathered can be used to make new Personas, as I explained back a few updates. Though they aren't named, there's two more residents of the Velvet Room - the piano player, Nameless, and the singer, Belladonna.

Now, there are two ways to go about fusing spell cards to create new Personas - manual and guided.

Manual fusion is how it's done in most regular MegaTen and Persona games - you pick one fusion material and then another in order to create Personas.

Guided fusion does the reverse - you pick the desired Persona and then see which fusion materials can be used to create the Persona. Its first appearance was in Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, and some newer games like Shin Megami Tensei IV and the Devil Survivor series use it.

Fusions are calculated using Orders and Tribes. Every demon in the game belongs to a certain Tribe, such as Fairy or Beast, and every Persona also belongs to a certain Order, such as Magician or Strength. The Order of a resulting Persona is dependent upon the demons' Tribes - for example, Night x Fairy = Magician.

The arrows and other icons next to a demon refer to whether a fusion can take place between two demons and whether a skill will be inherited by the resulting Persona. An X means fusion is not possible, a circle means fusion is possible but no skill inheritance will take place, a forward-facing arrow means the Persona will inherit a skill from the first demon, an up-facing arrow means the Persona will inherit a skill from the second demon and receive +1 to all stats, and a down-facing arrow means the Persona will inherit a skill from the second demon and receive -1 to all stats

In addition to regular White Fusions (seen in the above screenshots), there's also Red Fusions and Blue Fusions. Red Fusions indicate that there's a higher chance for a fusion accident while a Blue Fusion indicates that the resulting Persona will receive +5 to its highest stat and +20 to Magic Def. Fusion accidents usually mean that the resulting Persona will be of a different Order with either increased or decreased stats and a chance to randomly inherit a skill... but fusion accidents are also the only way to get demons of a special Order, which I'll explore more in detail later.

For now I've fused three new Personas. First is Phaleg, an Olympian spirit who rules over Mars. Along with an attack-lowering spell (Tarunda), he also has an all-target medium heal spell (Mediarama). Phaleg is also super-helpful because of the fact that he nulls all elemental attacks.

Next is Shouki, a Chinese god who can command ghosts and spirits. He's got both an attack- and defense-lowering spell (Tarunda and Rakunda), as well a handy spell that wards off low-level encounters (Estoma).

Last is Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec god of wind. He's got a nice mix of Fire, Nuclear, and Blast skills, which our party was missing.

Persona Fusion
Velvet Room - Coalescence

As for the fusion process itself, Igor gets on his cellphone...

And calls up some curtain. Underneath the two demons are subjected to some violent force as the screen shakes.

Finally, the curtain is lifted and a gigantic card is unveiled.

You can also take on your newly-created Personas in the Velvet Room. Each character can carry up to three Personas with them.

Next time we'll get around to using our new Personas as we storm SEBEC!

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 21, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So this is what I get:

In the SEBEC route, you are forced to use Naoya, Maki, Nanjo and Masao. Your fifth is a choice between Brown, Elly, Character #3 and Secret Character.

Meanwhile, in the Snow Queen Quest, you're forced to use Naoya, Brown, Yukino, and #3. Your fifth is either Elly or Nanjo. Maki, Masao and the Secret Character do not appear on this route.

Is this correct?

Junpei fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 13, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Junpei posted:

So this is what I get:

In the SEBEC route, you are forced to use Naoya, Maki, Nanjo and Masao. Your fifth is a choice between Brown, Elly, Character #3 and Secret Character.

Meanwhile, in the Snow Queen Quest, you're forced to use Naoya, Brown, Yukino, and #3. Your fifth is either Elly or Nanjo. Maki, Masao and the Secret Character do not appear on this route.

Is this correct?

No, that is not right, there are 2 free character slots in the other part you are talking about, why not wait until the LP actually gets there

By the way now that I see where you are going with character selection, do you mind if we talk about the other characters' incidental dialogue (non-plot critical stuff) when the time for it comes up? Some of it is funny

PeaceDiner posted:

The player is given complete control of Naoya's stats, so you can build him as you'd like. I'm going for a well-rounded Naoya who specializes in speed and magic. His Persona Seimen Kongou fights with Wind and Tech moves and mostly deals with strength and agility.

What character stat actually affects magic damage (if any)? I thought it was Dx since it was called "TEC" on the PS1 but it seems to just affect gun damage.

PeaceDiner posted:

For now I've fused three new Personas. First is Phaleg, an Olympian spirit who rules over Mars. Along with an attack-lowering spell (Tarunda), he also has an all-target medium heal spell (Mediarama).

This is one of the first Personas which showcases Persona 1's bizarre Persona balance, since Phaleg is one of a few lower level Personas which inexplicably gets a high level skill (Mediarama) and is viable until the late game. Because you don't get access to the Velvet Room until a few dungeons in, you are more likely to acquire Phaleg before any of the lower level Personas which know Media. And due to the SP cost being based on the Persona, not the skill, you can cast it with lower level characters and only pay a bit of SP cost. Not to mention its immunity to nearly all types of magic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nice to see Igor has not changed.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

The blue fusions don't just grant extra magic defense but also additional magical power for the Personae as well. Additionally, one can add bullets into the fusion to add additional magical power to it. Comically enough; everything you can do in this version, one can do in the PSX version; but the PSP interface is much better at showing that. In a gist of fusion; aim for a blue circle or blue arrow all the time. Even down arrows are super helpful as you're not going to miss one point of each stat to a persona, and the overwhelming magical power of a blue fusion (or the additional spell added will more than make up for the loss).Reds used to be somewhat desirable for a certain fusion; but the glitch for those persona exist in the PSP version; so they're worthless.

There are some other fusions in that level worth using too.

Airgetlam, a level 12 Emperor persona is useful for Sebec as certain enemies in there succumb easily to his sleep spell. Emperor arcana know how to blast the poo poo out of things and perform status magics on occasion. He also refines into a Claimh Solais for Kei, which you'll want if you can't win at gambling for poo poo as if you can't gamble, he's not getting a decent sword until Deva Yuga. Doubly so in the PSP version as they did some dick things we'll see later :argh: If you don't put him on Naoya, he's a good choice for Brown, as the natural strength of the emperor more than compensates for Brown's lack of own power.

Ameno-Uzume is another Priestess persona that can easily coast the player for a while if they don't have Phaleg. I find myself using her more than Phaleg because I'm not blasted to kingdom come time for death magic (it's still a two hit kill though). However, I can see why you'd go with Phaleg. Ameno-Uzume is also hard to fuse easily in the sense of you're probably going to want to add either bullets someone's not using (Masao) to add a little extra oomph to her one and only one attacking spell (two if the pixie is likely used in her fusion). Phaleg usually outclasses her (doubly so since they share a weakness to dark magic anyway) and Phaleg has Tetraja to help protect from those spells.

Mokosh (and by extension the entire Empress class) are those persona who look like they have lame skills; but have high damage output if you;re good at fusions and are willing to throw in either extra bullets or get another spell in the mix. For what it's worth. Mokosh suffers a bit of redundancy in her spell lineup (again, if they're weak to one element of gravity, blast, nuclear, electricity, odds are good they're weak to the others as well) but that rank 7 spell hurts like a loving truck. I've summoned her constantly and always get a good use out of her.

Fuutai is odd. He does lack some magical oomph despite a decent spell selection; but he's not entirely useless. Even though the women have the better compatibility with him; they've all got better persona to use, so he's still not bad on the men. It's a slog to reach him to rank 8 for his return item. He (and usually Hermit personae) give the DX/TEC stat such an amazing boost that it's disgusting. A bonus to him is the reflection of mind and nerve magic, which protects you from status effects. That's not too helpful here, but one down the line is much better for that.

Here's one I'm surprised you didn't call forth. Urvashi is admittedly a bit boring but she knows her role, which is to blast the loving poo poo out of everything with ice magic. Magician arcana personae are usually one trick ponies (but by the gods, they're good at that one trick) and they're really easy to score blue arrow fusions with, allowing you to both add a spell and bullets to their lineup for extra damage to their repertoire. I forget the other monster needed at the moment, but you can fuse her with the Ghost monster to get her with some dark magic.If the fusion is blue arrow or circle, her M.ATK is usually around 171 by rank 7. A good choice for Masao which while it takes away from his Axe power, gives him additional speed and the lack of his own DX is supplemented by the M.ATK of this arcana.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Super hype for this LP.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tactless Ogre posted:

Here's one I'm surprised you didn't call forth. Urvashi is admittedly a bit boring but she knows her role, which is to blast the loving poo poo out of everything with ice magic. Magician arcana personae are usually one trick ponies (but by the gods, they're good at that one trick) and they're really easy to score blue arrow fusions with, allowing you to both add a spell and bullets to their lineup for extra damage to their repertoire. I forget the other monster needed at the moment, but you can fuse her with the Ghost monster to get her with some dark magic.If the fusion is blue arrow or circle, her M.ATK is usually around 171 by rank 7. A good choice for Masao which while it takes away from his Axe power, gives him additional speed and the lack of his own DX is supplemented by the M.ATK of this arcana.

Urvashi is surprisingly amazing, and her design is pretty cool despite it looking like she is wearing khaki pants with a belt. And I'll never figure out what an "Lx1" is

Surprised you didn't mention the big one in the upper 10s, Gozu-Tennoh.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

I wanted to take the chance to say a big thank you to everybody who's been discussing strategy and Personas. The thing is, I'm actually only kinda okay at video games and am mostly doing this LP to show off the story, so my explanations of strategy and the like will be short or non-existent. Therefore, anybody is welcome to talk about things I didn't talk about when it comes to gameplay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I got a lot of use out of Hell Drop.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think the next update is as far as I ever got in this game, if not its the one after. I completely forgot about the choose your character stuff but I can tell you now theres a 100% chance that contributed to me dropping this game like a sack of bricks, I hate things like that, just take everyone and let me see all the dialogue.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

When I played the psx version, i beat the game twice, I think. Once was the bad ending? I then had a lunatic plan to play the whole thing over again once for every playable companion from Brown on down, and I was trying to balance my memory card slots to do them all while renting the game every weekend from the local video store.

LPs are so much less stressful.

Edit: also I tried everything I could think of to get into the quest they cut out of the psx version, because they left a teaser in for some drat reason. If we had had dlc in that era, I would have bought it.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Item Getter posted:

Surprised you didn't mention the big one in the upper 10s, Gozu-Tennoh.

Admittedly, I was also typing all that in before I had to get to work at 6:30 a.m. But I did forget him, you're right.

Glass Cannon de-jour. Chariot Arcana are pretty much what you expect out of Masao: Going last four times out of five; but they're usually sweeping up the remnants with obscenely high powerful magic. The drawback to this arcana though is that Chariots are usually frail and Gozu-Tennoh is no exception. Low M.Def combined with common weaknesses may get him killed before you can launch nuclear hell on the enemies. By the flipside though; endure or go first and whatever he dishes out will absolutely loving hurt if not kill. Not counting the nuclear magic; even his physical techs hurt pretty nicely. Chariots also usually gain great bonuses from Fairies and Jaki fusions as well as Drake and Raptor fusions. You can pair him up with a speedy Naoya or even Maki. Brown can't use them though which is one drawback.

In a comical note, one time he got into a fusion accident which gained me Zandyne at rank 2 :unsmigghh:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tactless Ogre posted:

Admittedly, I was also typing all that in before I had to get to work at 6:30 a.m. But I did forget him, you're right.

Glass Cannon de-jour. Chariot Arcana are pretty much what you expect out of Masao: Going last four times out of five; but they're usually sweeping up the remnants with obscenely high powerful magic. The drawback to this arcana though is that Chariots are usually frail and Gozu-Tennoh is no exception. Low M.Def combined with common weaknesses may get him killed before you can launch nuclear hell on the enemies. By the flipside though; endure or go first and whatever he dishes out will absolutely loving hurt if not kill. Not counting the nuclear magic; even his physical techs hurt pretty nicely. Chariots also usually gain great bonuses from Fairies and Jaki fusions as well as Drake and Raptor fusions. You can pair him up with a speedy Naoya or even Maki. Brown can't use them though which is one drawback.

In a comical note, one time he got into a fusion accident which gained me Zandyne at rank 2 :unsmigghh:

This is a big example why I think Persona 1 has very strange balance, the fact that you can get a persona with Megidola at level 18. Though as I learned replaying the game after this LP came up, megido/megidola isn't as useful as most SMT games, since enemies can null it and there's a ton of annoying enemies which null all types of magic except Expel/Death in this game.
I relied on this one a lot the first times I played when I had no idea about the game or the rest of the series and it was recommended by guides. In hindsight there's a lot of others around its level which are as useful or more.

Not getting into the ridiculousness of the spell tablets you can buy, but I think we still can't buy them quite yet at this point in the LP.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I can't remember when the Casino actually opens up and has anything useful. My favorite things to do with that stuff are to put the Mediarahan Stone with a Pixie and a Megidolaon Stone onto... Lilim, I think it was?

Since the SP costs are based on the Persona in this game, rather than on the actual abilities, this is pretty great.

Spoilered just in case. Just game mechanics stuff.

Nephrite fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 14, 2017

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Nephrite posted:

I can't remember when the Casino actually opens up and has anything useful. My favorite things to do with that stuff are to put the Mediarahan Stone with a Pixie and a Megidolaon Stone onto... Lilim, I think it was?

Since the SP costs are based on the Persona in this game, rather than on the actual abilities, this is pretty great.

I'm thinking of the ones for -dyne level spells and Mediarahan that you can straight-up buy from the regular shops for not much money after an early point in the game.
I didn't use them until the recent replay of the game though because everything about it is so poorly explained, especially on the PS1.

You can buy stuff directly from the casino by exchanging coins right? I never did much of that or the slot machines and stuff, though I'm strangely addicted to Code Breaker even though the rewards are mostly worthless

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Item Getter posted:

You can buy stuff directly from the casino by exchanging coins right? I never did much of that or the slot machines and stuff, though I'm strangely addicted to Code Breaker even though the rewards are mostly worthless

There are a few things you'll want from the casino end game like the Ma-Dyne stones as well as some fusion totemas to make persona. At this stage, you may want to get some totemas for persona like Brahma or Hera (for later) and Yama (because the next chance you'll get to make them will be near end game, long after their usefulness). Coincidentally, every weapon you can find at the Casino is outmatched by Personae you can return for an item provided you know who to return. In the PSX version, you can find a good chunk of them as the game progresses unless it's the PSP version which changed some rewards to give Yukino more throwing weapons.:confuoot:

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 14, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
ModEdit: Potential spoiler removed.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Mar 19, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
After trying P2EP a few years back and getting fed up with it pretty fast, I pretty much knew I was never going to experience the PS1 Personas in full. So thank you for this LP because I'm definitely going to be following it.

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 18, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 7 - Field trip

For everybody who wants to see the extra dialogue that Persona offers (and those who don't), I've sectioned the dialogue into a little section I call "Talkin' Around Town." When you see the banner below, it means that the dialogue is not story-related at all and can be safely ignored if you so wish. When you see the banner again, it means the section has ended.

Last time we visited Igor and company at his location in Mikage Sun Mall, so let's check out what else is going on around here, starting with the clothing store Rosa Candida.

You're hiding around here someplace, right? It's me, Masao, I'm not a demon. It's safe... You can come out... We'll take you home. Mom...?

Mark continues to make his way around the store, checking every nook and cranny before returning to the front of the store.

The old bat must've gone home before it all went down. I bet she's bawlin' over her "stories" on TV as we speak. C'mon, let's go!

Satomi Tadashi's Pharmacy's Theme 2009
Satomi Tadashi's Drugstore Song

Next is the pharmacy, Satomi Tadashi. The store is famous for its catchy jingle, which has been known to constantly get stuck in Nanjo's head. The song describes the store's products and what their effects are, and you can check out the lyrics here. This store sells most all medicine that can be found in the game.

Hey, have you seen Tamaki? I'm really worried about her... My son, on the other hand, can take a running jump! Hm...? Oh, right, medicine. Coming right up!
The owner here really knows how to sell his product.
There's too much I gotta say to Kandori. I'm not lettin' that guy off easy.
A well-prepared man fears nothing! ...That's what Yamaoka always said.

Sennen-Mannen Hall

Right nearby is Sennen Mannen-Do. They sell both medicinal and non-medicinal expendable items for our party to use.

That clerk seems to be suspicious of us. But ARE we really still human now that we have this power? What do you think?
I wish I could be as laid back as you, Naoya.

Casino

The last place to stop at in the mall is the casino, Judgement 1999. They offer a variety of games to play, but truthfully I'm really not that good at them. If you can score big, the prizes include some nice equipment as well as items that will greatly help for fusing killer Personas, but we don't need them at the moment. Anyway, when we walk in we're immediately accosted by a man.

Flirtatious man: That girl Elly isn't with you? Aww, I was gonna show her how tough I am. Well, that was a bust. But she'll need someone to protect her sooner or later. I'll just keep trying until then!
Huh... Elly's pretty popular.
What a feeble mind you possess. Though I'm actually rather jealous that you can be so calm in this situation.

The other place of interest are the stores in the second ward's Joy Street. There's some of the same stores, including Sennen Mannen-Do:

Is it okay, these stores bein' open? I ain't responsible if they get messed up by demons!
We're going to the abandoned factory, right? Um... what is SEBEC? Is it a company? I don't remember there being anything like that...
Don't you think there's something strange about Maki? Hmmm...

As well as Judgement 1999:

Blonde man: And Mark ain't gonna be around, neither. I gotta say, I'm scared.
Dude, don't go freakin' out over somethin' like this. I'm leavin' the Tailors in your hands while I'm gone, y'know. I feel sorry for the rest of the Tailors crew, but I got places to be.
Is there a deeper plan underlying your actions, or...? I'm completely unable to fathom your motivations for being here.
I've never really been to a place like this. Huh... it's pretty fun!

One of the stores that Joy Street has that the mall doesn't is the convenience store Yin&Yan.

Customer 1: Why wouldn't they have weapons, too!? Don't you agree? Yes! Exactly! Shouldn't this store be serving its customers' needs!?
Customer 2: Are these stores good for anything!? Isn't it odd they don't have weapons? Yeah! You tell 'em! A store's gotta serve its customers' needs!
Huh? They don't have weapons here? That's weird.
Is this the place Yukino works part-time? Oh, wait, that was another store.

The party is ready to storm the factory! But since we have guns now as well, maybe we can try and get in through the front?

What's he acting all superior about!? It really makes me mad! C'mon, guys, let's go! Pbbbbt!

Same.

Alright, then it's through the secret entrance for us.

Strange Atmosphere
Mark's Theme

(If you notice, Mark's PS1 theme was the basis for the PSP theme "Appearance!")

Hey, didn't Masao say he drew this? It's really good! He's pretty talented.
Hold on a moment. You... came here often, yes?

Hell yeah! This place is like a studio for my buds in the Tailors.
So you used this place as a hideout... and never noticed SEBEC's involvement?

That's "under your nose," you dunce!
Ahahaha! C'mon, that's enough... Let's find the entrance.

The party finally notices the presence lurking in the shadows.

Appearance!
Ayase's Theme

Ayase swiftly moves from her hiding place and to the front of the group.

Is that you, Ayase? What on earth are you doing here? It's rather unusual to see you alone.
Hey! I, like, barely got out alive! Can you be a little nicer to me?
Got out alive...? Yuka, did something happen at St. Hermelin!?
Oh man, it's like, awful. That stuff about the school being safe was bogus. St. Hermelin's just, like... gone.
No way! Then what happened to Yuko and everyone? Did you run away by yourself!?
How should I know!? Like I have any idea what's going on...

Calm down, Maki. The school most likely vanished due to the Deva System's effects. In which case, our best course of action is to make Kandori undo it.
I'm coming with you! If I stay here alone, I'll be totally hosed.
Ayase, huh...? What's the word? Are we gonna bring her along?

Unfortunately for Ayase, she won't be our companion this time around either. If you hadn't fulfilled the steps to get the fourth optional party member and you rejected both Brown and Elly, you'd be forced to bring Ayase along for the ride at this point.

Well, fine, assholes!! Go to hell!

Ayase takes one last look at the group before storming off in a huff. Well, she should be fine.

Daily Life
Generic BGM-A

Now, there must be a machine nearby where we can use the security card. I suggest we split up and look for it.

Once again the party splits up to find something important, and once again it's up to Naoya to actually find it. I don't know why their first instinct is to look at Mark's graffiti instead of the highly suspicious set of stairs to the right.

Heheheh, I bombed this wall myself. That's what graf writin' is about... Lettin' your soul shout loud and proud.
Something's off about this town and the people in it... Huh? Wh-What? I don't think the machine is over here...
Kandori... I sensed he was a crafty one when I met him at a business party... But I didn't imagine he could be this audacious.

Strange Atmosphere
Mark's Theme

Huh! Man, so that's where it was!

Naoya found the machine we're supposed to use the card on. C'mon, let's give it a try.
Wait. We don't know what will happen. Let's think this through--
Man, whatever. C'mon, fork it over.

Mark snatches the card from Naoya's hands and swipes it. Mere seconds later, the room begins to shake as the lights flicker on and off.

Huuuuh?
I told you to wait!
Wh-What's going on? Something happened to the lights...

Masao! Are you TRYING to kill me!?
Hahahaha, sorry, man. (Tch... guess he won't go down that easy...)
Masao, Naoya, hurry on down here.

Space

Yeah, yeah, I got it.
Well then, Naoya, let's go.
C'mon, Naoya! Let's go!

Underground

It's all so amazing... like some kind of sci-fi film...
Naoya! If you see anything else suspicious, think before you touch it! Honestly, that Masao... It makes me angry all over again to think about!
This is nuts... If they're building this kinda crap, they must be serious...

Now for the important choice: the right or left door. Who knows what sorts of danger is lurking behind these doors, waiting--

Ah, never mind.

Mikage Police Station
Electric Brain Travel (Dungeon - Abandoned Factory)

The PSP Mikage Police Station dungeon theme is actually a remix of the Abandoned Factory dungeon theme from the PS1 original, so it gets played here as well.

This dungeon's a bit more curvy and filled with dead ends compared to the police station, with the walls made up of freights emblazoned with the SEBEC logo.

Hmm, what did Nanjo tell Naoya? "If you see anything else suspicious, think before you touch it..." "Don't touch anything suspicious without a very good reason..."

I'm pretty sure curiosity is a good reason. Switch on!

There's another switch further inside. What didn't hurt the first time shouldn't hurt a second!

Overall the switches are the only thing to worry about before we can head back up above ground.

It looks like we can enter the SEBEC building now.
I feel like Maki's different somehow...
This is kinda exciting!

SEBEC
A City, SEBEC (Dungeon - SEBEC Above Ground)

SEBEC itself is a pretty nice place, as such a prestigious company should be. Along with demons, the group will also run into some of Kandori's men in black.

Such a nice building also has a few helpful rooms, including a number of Agaysta Trees as well as a few new facilities for us.

Agaysta Tree
Spring of Restoration

The first is Trish's Spring, which is one of our sources of healing within dungeons.

This world runs on give-and-take! Give me money and I'll take away your pain!

Trish heals both HP and MP, but her prices are always more expensive than any of the healing facilities in the city, so it's only smart to use her in a real pinch. She's a fairy who got exiled by King Oberon for being too greedy, and she's only allowed to return to the fairy world after doing enough good deeds. Good luck with that, Trish.

SEBEC also has a fully-stocked store in the building that carries the same kind of items as the convenience stores, so it's technically another source of healing in dungeons.

However, there's one more good source of healing in dungeons, and that's your own party. Healing HP can of course be done with Persona, and the party automatically restores their MP just by walking around the dungeon. If you combine this with the move Estoma or the item Clean Salt, both which ward off weaker foes, you can take a moment to restore MP by simply running around the dungeon for a bit.

Along with being much larger than the previous dungeons, SEBEC also introduces the concept of damage floors, as indicated by the exclamation point on the map. Stepping onto them hurts your entire party, and there's both an item and spell that neutralizes their effect.

We can also stop by the front desk for a moment.

Receptionist: Eh? You came through the basement? I've heard rumors of a division down there that's a secret even to employees... But you say you went through it?

Unfortunately, the elevators aren't working, and we can't even get through the front doors either.

C'mon, man, quit ogling the secretary and get on with it.
Secrets not even the employees know? What's with this company?

The elevators outside of the reception area work just fine. You could just head straight to the top, but there's some goodies and equipment strewn about the building that you'd be missing.

On the fourth floor, SEBEC graciously offers Igor's services should you need them.

I take a moment to fuse Urvashi, a nymph in Hindu lore who is infinitely charming but always elusive. In this game she specializes in Ice magic. Another component of Persona fusion is the use of items in the fusion process. You can add drat near anything you want, including expendable items (random effects), equipment (boosts stats), gems (changes to a different Persona within the same Order), and tablets (adds spells to the Persona's move pool). Using special items called Totems during fusion is also the only way to get certain Personas. I added Mamagna, an all-target Earth skill, to Urvashi this time around.

Along with hidden items, the rooms in SEBEC also have employees milling about.

SEBEC employee: I can't believe something like this happened on the day of your field trip. It must be tough for you kids.

Angry SEBEC employee: And what's with the weird toys!? If I ever get my hands on this clown...!
It seems SEBEC's rank and file know next to nothing.
Looks like these people are victims too.

Along with offices, the fourth floor also houses an underground facility.

Scientist: Oh, Sonomura... please be safe!
That scientist says he knows my mom... But I don't have a mother!
Those scientists... What kind of research is going on here?
This is one suspicious place. Huh... guess the rumors about SEBEC had a little truth to 'em!

Down on the second floor...

SEBEC employee: It must be the curse of the haunted mansion! Of course!

SEBEC employee: But I didn't think they'd resort to biological warfare!
Biological warfare!?
What's Kandori doing!? He's treating the corporation as his personal property!
The haunted mansion... I used to go there a lot to play when I was little.

Now then, it's on to Kandori's office. Simply riding the elevator up to the fifth and top floor won't get you there, though. First you must reach the stairs on the fifth floor, head all the way downstairs...

...and then go back up a different flight of stairs to the top floor. Every day must be leg day for Kandori.

I'm sorry, Mr. Kandori... The woman escaped.
That was a mistake, Takeda. Well... let her be. There's nowhere for her to go. It's more important that the scientists finish the Deva System's adjustments.
Yes, Sir.
He's definitely in there... Are you ready, Naoya?

Ready as I'll ever be... next update.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 22, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Hey man I've been following your LP's since the devil summoner one and I just wanted to thank you, you're doing good work Peace Diner. That said I really hope that people pay attention to this LP the first Persona has some of my favorite dialogue and atmosphere out of the whole megaten series and people skipping it for the newer games puts great sadness in my heart.

I also want to point out that when Peace Diner mentions running around in the dungeon to recover SP he means RUN. In contrast to every other system in this game which are universally extremely slow your movement speed in this game is perhaps the fastest I've ever seen in a first person RPG. while sprinting you can cross the entire map in Seconds, of course it's rarely all that helpful with all the twists and dead ends in the various dungeons.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

Hey man I've been following your LP's since the devil summoner one and I just wanted to thank you, you're doing good work Peace Diner. That said I really hope that people pay attention to this LP the first Persona has some of my favorite dialogue and atmosphere out of the whole megaten series and people skipping it for the newer games puts great sadness in my heart.

Ah, thank you so much! I really like showing off some of the less recognized MegaTen titles, and I'm glad to see that a lot of people are looking forward to experiencing the game through my LP. While Persona's gameplay may not have aged well, I think its story has stood the test of time.

Gaius Marius posted:

I also want to point out that when Peace Diner mentions running around in the dungeon to recover SP he means RUN. In contrast to every other system in this game which are universally extremely slow your movement speed in this game is perhaps the fastest I've ever seen in a first person RPG. while sprinting you can cross the entire map in Seconds, of course it's rarely all that helpful with all the twists and dead ends in the various dungeons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgHoAfpggQ

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

THUNK THUNK THUNK THUNK. Jesus Christ I forgot how fast you move in Persona 1. I've been playing Strange Journey again because I'm a moron, and there's no sort of run or strafe, so it's slow as hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Holy moly I don't remember it being that fast on the PSX.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

marshmallow creep posted:

Holy moly I don't remember it being that fast on the PSX.

It was massively sped up from the PS1 version.
Atlus seems to like massively cranking up the speed when porting PS1 era titles, though it's easy to see why. See also the battles in this game and Soul Hackers compared to the originals.
I have to wonder what kind of shoes the main character is wearing though

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Item Getter posted:

Atlus seems to like massively cranking up the speed when porting PS1 era titles, though it's easy to see why. See also the battles in this game and Soul Hackers compared to the originals.

School Uniform Loafers. Yeah, they go that far.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

MythosDragon posted:

School Uniform Loafers. Yeah, they go that far.

And they're made out of solid steel

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Item Getter posted:

The running speed is actually the same; but there was no dedicated speed up button in the PS1 game, so the PSP version added a dash mechanic (hold down the Circle Button) that makes your characters run through buildings like a thief with the speed bracer in FFV (GBA version). Pretty easy to bump into walls that thankfully have no painful after effects.

One of the few ways one can actually die in this game is present due to the Mou Shoubo (spelling is off, sorry) enemies that can spam Binary Strike and then Mazan for a total party wipe. They can jump you and kill you before you have a chance to retaliate. Human enemies are present in this dungeon, but if you have Airgetlam, Fuutai, or even Seimen Kongo, you can spam status magics on them and prevent them from doing anything. Bastards take some punishment though.

There is some loot you can win from certain enemies too. Angel monsters have the Athame knife which is physically weaker than the rapier, but attacks twice, so it balances out in a good way. The other desirable drop is the Plasma Sword for Kei you can win off of Yakuza. It's a sword that can cause shock status that can tide you over until you return Airgetlam or win something good out of the casino. You get one statistically better in the next update, but I find it paling compared to the shock sword's shock status and the Claimh Solais' raw power.

Tactless Ogre fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 20, 2017

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 8 - System failure

Confrontation
Stillness Before (Theme of Kandori - Silence)

This is a disgrace, Takeda. First that brat, and now this. When did my company become a nursery?
I see you haven't changed, Kandori. You're like an rear end in a lion's skin... Pushing your luck, aren't you? Does President Saeki know about this?
My, my, the young master of the Nanjo Group. No, the old man knows nothing. But this is preposterous... Your mother would spank you if she knew you had stooped to breaking and entering. Or is that your senile butler's job?
Silence! You... Don't think I'll easily forgive this!
Yo, quit grandstandin', man. You're gonna pay for what you did!

...Undisciplined children are no better than dumb beasts. Takeda. Take them from my sight. Do it however you like, just don't make a mess.

:siren: Boss - Takeda :siren:

Videos for boss battles will be included for those who wish to hear voice acting/SFX and see animations, and the videos will also include pre-battle dialogue. Rejoice that the all-important toilet flushing Persona summoning sound effect was retained for the PSP remake.

Bloody Destiny
Dead Line (Mid-Boss Battle)

"Bloody Destiny" is another one of my top 3 PSP themes, while the original PS1 version is still badass after all these years.

Kandori!

No matter which Persona he's using at the time, Nanjo attempts to use the Expel-based skill Hama on Kandori even if his Persona doesn't know the skill.

What!? Don't tell me... You too!?

Kandori summons his Persona and blasts the party with the all-target Fire attack Maragi. This attack hits everyone, even if a character's Persona nulls, drains, or repels Fire.

Yes, Sir.
You're going nowhere!
Oh, no you don't!

Kandori (quite literally) slides out of the room and leaves the party to fend off against Takeda and four black-suited men.

Now taste the power of my Persona!

Takeda is our first boss battle of the game, and as such isn't too difficult to deal with. The group specializes in physical and gun attacks, with Takeda's unnamed Persona also possessing ailment-inflicting and Wind skills.

The men in black use Drive Shot and Middle Shot with their automatics, with Takeda able to use Middle Shot as well. Though Maki's Phaleg is weak to physical attacks, I leave him on due to his healing ability.

Takeda's other physical attack is Spin Kick, a Tech move that hits one person.

When he summons his Persona, Takeda can also use the medium-range Wind attack Earthly Vortex, the Blind-inducing Delyte, and Quikka. Quikka induces the ailment Counter in the user, which raises allows them to make counter-attacks.

Luckily, Takeda has several weaknesses that the party can hit. One is Ice, which is the reason I fused Urvashi earlier. Other than that, he is also weak to Earth, Tech, and Rush. Takeda's 720 HP goes down easy, and the battle ends without too much damage done to the party.

Confrontation
God Taker (Theme of Kandori - Pathos)

There's no sign that he used the door... There must be another way out.
...That's Kandori, huh...? Where have I...?
Hm? Wassup, Maki? You look all down.
Huh? O-Oh, I'm okay. It's nothing. C'mon, let's hurry after him!
There must be another way out. I'll keep watch. Find the exit... quickly.

It's nothing, really. I just felt a little faint. But thanks for worrying about me!

Up to Naoya again, huh. Well, the desk looks pretty suspicious.

A hidden path, eh? He seems to love his cheap tricks...
Naoya! Let's hurry after him!
Let's catch that dickwipe and put an end to this!
His makeshift ambition given form is most likely carefully hidden ahead.
He screwed up my town... He's going down! Huh? Ahaha... it's nothing. C'mon, let's go!

SEBEC
A City, SEBEC (Dungeon - SEBEC Above Ground)

So, in the chaos of battle Kandori managed to slip over to his desk, open the secret path, and get out without any of the party noticing. Not gonna lie, I've got some respect for a man who can do that. The secret path takes us to an elevator that allows us to get to the basement.

Along with the damage floors from earlier, SEBEC also has trap chests lying around. Opening one will hurt Naoya (and only Naoya) in some way, whether it just be damage or inflicting an ailment like poison.

And y'know, that's fine, but imagining that hag... I mean, my mom, crying over it... It bugs the hell out of me.
I've never gotten along with Kandori, ever since meeting him at a party. I wish I had known his scheme then...
Let's hurry after Kandori!

SEBEC (Underground Lab)
Touching Unhappiness (Dungeon - SEBEC Underground Research Lab)

The underground lab eschews the elegant white walls and instead opts for a bright red. While the PS1 track changes entirely, the PSP music has a more subtle change: the intro is ditched, the length of the loop shortens, and a kicking drum is added to the mix. If you aren't paying attention (or are distracted by the incredible cacophony that Naoya's shoes make against the metal floor), it's easy to miss.

Like the above-ground offices, the labs underground are full of employees realizing they got screwed over by Kandori.

Scientist: Though it presents a rather intriguing situation, don't you think?
Scientist: Was that high school boy a friend of yours? I'm sorry to say, he was...
It sounds like someone from St. Hermelin snuck in here before us!
That Kandori... He's gone too far!
Don't these guys feel guilty at all for what they did?

We also get to see (or rather, not see) a new dungeon gimmick: dark areas. These make it so that the only way you know where you're going is to look at your map (thank goodness for the mini-map).

The party makes it to the other side, where another lab is located.

Scientist: I knew he had his own secret projects, but he must've been in with Kandori!
I feel like I've seen this place before.
Let's get that Kandori and bring this town back to normal!
Naoya... Are your weapons ready? We won't let him escape this time!

The party makes it to the last door in the underground, where Kandori is surely waiting.

Strange Atmosphere
Theme of Kandori - Ambition

Preposterous. It's the rest of mankind that must atone. What I've done here is nothing more than facilitate that process.
But that young man... You didn't have to send him into the dimensional rift! What did you hope to gain by throwing away a child's life!?
I won't allow anyone to stand in my way. Not even a child... Judgement will come regardless. It's only a question of sooner, or later.

Ah... I had a feeling you'd come. So you beat Takeda? He always was useless...
Your time has come, Kandori!
Loud noises from young children... I don't have time for you. I have matters to attend to... Come, Dr. Nicholai.

The two men walk into the large chamber, the doors closing behind them.

So this is the Deva System. What are Kandori's plans for this!?
This machine... I... Where do I know this thing from...?

The room begins to rumble, shaking the screen.

I... I'm disappearing! Nicholai! What's happening!?
It's over, Sir. You and I are going down together! For your treachery, for your crimes, for all mankind... you will atone!
Nicholai, you swine! H-How dare you betray me!?
Young man! If we are reduced to our component atoms, the system will stop! The barrier enclosing this town will be released! Leave us and escape!
You out there! Boy! Stop the system!

Let's save him! There's no need for the old guy to die just 'cause of Kandori! We'll smack down Kandori ourselves! That's what we came for, isn't it!?
Wait! The old man must have invented the system. He's taking responsibility... We should respect his wishes. We don't even know how to stop the machine.

Here! This'll stop the machine! The blue button increases the output... But the red button is the emergency stop! If you push it, we can save him!
Maki...? Where did you learn that!?
I don't know how I know, I just know! Naoya! Hurry!

We can save him if you push the red button! Red or blue... What's it going to be!?

Destroying Kandori won't deliver any justice, and Dr. Nicholai doesn't need to go down for him... so Naoya pushes the red button. (Pushing the blue button basically gets the same results, but choosing red unlocks a special something down the road)

H...How can this be!? My plan should have worked perfectly! Don't tell me... Is she--!?

BLACK KID (Aki's Theme)

Heh... Heheh... Hahaha! I refuse to die! Now... take me to your world!

Whoa! Wh-What the!?
Ugh... K-Kandori...!

Strange Atmosphere
Mystery

Naoya stumbles onto his feet, still disoriented from the trip.

Mark gets up next, fitting his hat back onto his head.

...Nggh...

...Ma...sao...?
Ungh...

Last to get up is Nanjo, who slides his glasses back on before standing up.

Looks like everyone's unhurt. We certainly have the devil's luck.
Hey... isn't this the school gym? The one they tore down six months ago?
I get it... We've gone back...
Gone back? To six months ago!? C'mon, Maki, snap out of it!
A time slip? That's rather different than what your mother said.
...I've told you before, I don't have a real mom. I never thought the stuff Yosuke was saying was... actually true...

While the group discusses their predicament, the gym doors open up and a girl runs in.

Harried girl: That girl in black came back again...
No way! Th-That's impossible! Yosuke!

Maki rushes out of the room, leaving the three boys to themselves.

Could Yosuke be that guy who went missing a couple months ago?
...That dolt. I can't believe she took off on her own at a time like this. Come, Naoya. We'd better go after Maki.

Restless boy: I must've been dreaming! Ahahahaha!

You there. How many days are left until the sports festival?
Female student: Uch, you're always so rude. The sports festival is still a month off. You have amnesia or something, Nanjo?
...So the date's the same. Tell me, which year am I in?
Female student: What the... You really DO have amnesia! We're all second-year students. Man, I gotta tell the others about this!

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2017

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

These two tracks still hold up for me. Dead Line's PSP remix in Persona 2 is what I wish made it into this game. Mystery is a silent, rather simple track that really feels very peaceful to me. I really can listen to that track on end forever. :allears:

Takeda's persona is supposedly Noperra-Bo, but I only remember reading that somewhere before. So I consider that a "Tales From My rear end" sorta thing as I've never been able to confirm it. The Maragi from Kandori hits everybody; even those that either absorb fire or are immune to it. A lame handicap, really. Elly if you have her with you, knows what persona he is using is. The only threat in that entire battle is if everyone decides to spam MidShot, and even that is if they get lucky with multiple hits. Cherish the sword in that cabinet too, as if you don't have the patience for gambling and you don't pull a plasma sword that's as good as it's going to get for you for a long time.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Tactless Ogre posted:

These two tracks still hold up for me. Dead Line's PSP remix in Persona 2 is what I wish made it into this game. Mystery is a silent, rather simple track that really feels very peaceful to me. I really can listen to that track on end forever. :allears:

Takeda's persona is supposedly Noperra-Bo, but I only remember reading that somewhere before. So I consider that a "Tales From My rear end" sorta thing as I've never been able to confirm it. The Maragi from Kandori hits everybody; even those that either absorb fire or are immune to it. A lame handicap, really. Elly if you have her with you, knows what persona he is using is. The only threat in that entire battle is if everyone decides to spam MidShot, and even that is if they get lucky with multiple hits. Cherish the sword in that cabinet too, as if you don't have the patience for gambling and you don't pull a plasma sword that's as good as it's going to get for you for a long time.

[Whoops, misread somethong] Also thank you for reminding me about his fire attack, I'm gonna edit that in real quick.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

PeaceDiner posted:

It's revealed later on that his Persona is Nyarlathotep, but I didn't want to mention that in the LP just yet. Also thank you for reminding me about his fire attack, I'm gonna edit that in real quick.

That's Kandori's. Takeda's is something different.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Tactless Ogre posted:

That's Kandori's. Takeda's is something different.

Argh, I totally misread. That's what I get for posting so soon after I wake up. Sorry about that!

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Tactless Ogre posted:

These two tracks still hold up for me. Dead Line's PSP remix in Persona 2 is what I wish made it into this game.

Where does that get used?

What makes Deadline great is the calm and serene intro suddenly kicking into high gear when you hit the Fight button. It's my favorite use of the dual "encounter music and battle music" thing in the SMT series, and makes it a narrow favorite for my favorite (normal) boss music in Persona.

If you have Ayase in the party she will criticize Kandori for his "poor fashion sense" whenever we encounter him.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Okay, I'm bad at memory, pretty sure its the NEXT update that I got to. I remember getting transported to a Parallel World right before I quit.

So woot, I made it to update 9 rather than 5.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bloody Destiny is way too peppy.

Who the heck thought that was an improvement over Deadline?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Bloody Destiny is way too peppy.

Who the heck thought that was an improvement over Deadline?

I can only defend Bloody Destiny as far as the song itself and not in place of Dead Line, really. It's an enjoyable song that gets stuck in my head, but I do prefer the original over it. I don't know if "peppy" is the exact word I would used to describe it, but it's much closer to the style of P3/P4 despite the game itself retaining its atmosphere, so it doesn't entirely mesh.

As something fun, feel free to attempt to decipher the lyrics to Bloody Destiny and post 'em here! P1P's soundtrack only ever got released as a bonus with the game and liner notes didn't provide the lyrics, so there's absolutely no official lyrics for it.

• Locked thread