Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I thought he looked like Kandori, myself. But maybe that was more in the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
It feels like "oh, it's just some guy" though, in contrast to Persona 2 for example

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm a bit surprised that the game ends around level 60. That is very low compared to most modern SMT titles. Not that having more dungeons or longer ones would be a good thing for this game. :v:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nephrite posted:

I thought he looked like Kandori, myself. But maybe that was more in the original.

In the original it was more blatant that it was the protagonist...

...if you were playing the Japanese version, where the main's hair was not bright red.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Oh, that would probably explain the confusion, then.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Pretty much.

When I beat the American version by spamming Gozu-Tennoh (who generally crushes Pandora), the PS1 reveal was all "OK yeah so?" until I saw the Japanese portraits. Then it clicks: it's an older, wiser version of the protagonist.

I mean, there's a reason that every main protagonist's Persona's first line is some variation on "I art thou. Thou art I. I come from the sea of thy heart."

Philemon grants you this power to summon parts of yourself at the beginning, then at the end he pulls off his mask to reveal... it was you! It was you all along, Austin!

People are overthinking this whole thing with the Zhang Zhou bit or any other explanation, especially after Persona 2 where they hit you directly in the face with it.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 11, 2017

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Really excited to see the Snow queen quest coming up. I had enough tenacity to beat the main game but just reading the level of nonsense they throw at you for the second route drained any will I had to play through it.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
broken Real men beat the Thanatos Tower first via a Pixie with Mediarama and a Lilim with Megidolaon.

I actually got up to 25,000 coins doing Hi and Lo for that, it wasn't that bad. Just the grinding was.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Tallgeese posted:

Philemon grants you this power to summon parts of yourself at the beginning, then at the end he pulls off his mask to reveal... it was you! It was you all along, Austin!

The big reason I don't want to think this is because it would make me sad to know that my main man Naoya AKA Pierced Boy did not keep his pierced ear later in life. Where is your earring, Philemon? Why would you do this to me?

Nephrite posted:

broken Real men beat the Thanatos Tower first via a Pixie with Mediarama and a Lilim with Megidolaon.

I actually got up to 25,000 coins doing Hi and Lo for that, it wasn't that bad. Just the grinding was.

Hahaha yeah. I'm totally doing a Thanatos run for the LP.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Tallgeese posted:

Pretty much.

When I beat the American version by spamming Gozu-Tennoh (who generally crushes Pandora), the PS1 reveal was all "OK yeah so?" until I saw the Japanese portraits. Then it clicks: it's an older, wiser version of the protagonist.

I mean, there's a reason that every main protagonist's Persona's first line is some variation on "I art thou. Thou art I. I come from the sea of thy heart."

People are overthinking this whole thing with the Zhang Zhou bit or any other explanation, especially after Persona 2 where they hit you directly in the face with it.

Wow, I did not get that at all. I guess I wasn't expecting an older and wiser protagonist, because I just saw Philemon pull off his mask to reveal a random dude. It really is way more blatant in P2.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 20 - Having a bad time

As I mentioned roughly halfway through the game, Persona 1 has both a good ending and a bad ending. We've already gotten to see the good ending, so let's check out what happens when we mess up.

The choices that decide whether you get the good or bad ending occurs during your first meeting with Mai in the gingerbread house, where she asks you a series of questions. Get even one wrong, and she'll send you straight down the road to a bad ending.

Luckily, Maki is very concerned for our safety and will ask you this question if you've selected a wrong answer. Unlike some other scenes in later Persona games where it may not be immediately obvious if you've selected the wrong answers or not, this game makes it very clear that oops, you chose something wrong.

So, continue despite Maki's question and you'll get...

Sorry.
This is going nowhere... We're begging you here! Please let us borrow it! If you won't, I'm gonna have to give you a spanking, got it?
Waaaah! No! I don't want that! Erusaer Tsymmom!

:siren: Boss - Mr. Bear :siren:

Despite the cutesy similarities between Tesso and Mr. Bear, Mr. Bear here isn't as tough as Aki's toy-like demon. His element of choice is fire, as he hits the party with the medium strength attack Maragion.

The most dangerous attack Mr. Bear's got on him is Candy Voice, as vulnerable party members can get charmed. When he's a in a pinch, he can also heal a bit of health with Dia.

The last thing he's got going for him is Drumroll Punch, a non-elemental attack that will inflict random damage to an area.

To take him down, you'll want to have Personas with Fire, Wind, Nuclear, or Blast magic, or have your party packing some heat to take him down with gun attacks.

Aki's Theme

Waaaaaaaaah! Now no one will be my friend! You're so mean...

Indeed... Why did you go and threaten her, Masao!? Now we've lost a valuable source of information.
Well, what was I supposed to do!? I didn't think it would go this far...

"I just threatened a small child with physical violence, what else was I supposed to do?" Then again, Maki also did the same thing; maybe they're more compatible then we think.

Maki picks up the compact half and brings it over to show the rest of the group.

It grants any wish, right? Why don't we have it send us to the castle?
Good idea. Give it a try, Masao.

...Nothing happened.
There's always a catch... That child must be the only one who can use it.
Oh well, we'll just have to hoof it back to the castle.

When that scene's done, the game will continue as normal until after you beat Kandori. After you find Maki in the hospital room and she speaks for a bit, an unexpected guest will enter the room.

Strange Atmosphere
Maki's Theme - Loneliness

It's all over for you, too. Kandori is gone. Erusaer Tsymmom.
N-No! Noooo!

You're... You're going to keep living there!?
Yes... If I don't, I'll feel sorry for myself... You're going back, too. I want you to keep acting as my ideal self.
No! I don't want to go back there!
Erusaer Tsymmom.

Okay. I'll make him, too. It's easy... Bye bye, mister.

That's pretty stark. I mean, it is the bad ending after all... Next update we'll check out what we can do in the game after the credits roll.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Well that was almost comically blunt

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know if you can use it or not, but I did put up a save a few years ago on Gamefaqs for the PSP version setup for the Snow Queen Quest. It might save you some grinding.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
So if I understand this right, Kid Maki forces Naoya and Ideal Maki into the ideal town in Maki's mind, there to stay forever or possibly until real-world Maki dies... except this time they know it for what it is and can't escape? Harsh.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pieuvre posted:

So if I understand this right, Kid Maki forces Naoya and Ideal Maki into the ideal town in Maki's mind, there to stay forever or possibly until real-world Maki dies... except this time they know it for what it is and can't escape? Harsh.

I don't think she took Naoya. As she said, she can "make him too". It's likely that she'll just make an ideal version of Naoya to be with (a possibly brainwashed) Ideal Maki in their world.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't think she took Naoya. As she said, she can "make him too". It's likely that she'll just make an ideal version of Naoya to be with (a possibly brainwashed) Ideal Maki in their world.

That makes more sense, I didn't notice that Naoya was still standing there after Kid Maki bailed.

I'm legitimately impressed with this ending, they managed to pack a lot of horror into a scene that probably takes less than two minutes to go through.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Pieuvre posted:

I'm legitimately impressed with this ending, they managed to pack a lot of horror into a scene that probably takes less than two minutes to go through.

People talk a lot about how great the atmosphere is in Persona 3-5, and I've always thought that the Persona games have had effective atmospheres since the very beggining. I think it might've lost it a bit with the remake, but Persona 1 has an atmosphere I'd describe as claustrophobic, perhaps gloomy or dreamy. The music is most often dark or soft, and the game has a more muted color pallete than the later games. The way they make the town physically closed off with the surrounding wall helps to drive the feeling home. I'd love to see some more horror elements return to the series - the games are all about humans and their feelings and relations with others, and all of those things can get pretty darn scary.

Anyway, last SEBEC route update should be coming tomorrow. I'll be going back and doing some editing of the previous updates before I start up the Snow Queen Quest (the music links in particular, since all of the YT vids got taken down).

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 21 - Bonus Round

Unlike later MegaTen titles, Persona 1 does not have a New Game Plus that carries over data from a completed game to a new game. That's not to say there's no reward for beating the game, though! Up in Mikage-cho's third ward is a huge cavern by the name of the Mikage Ruins. Usually you can only go down seven floors (and only these seven floors were available in the original PS1 version), but after you've completed the game you are able to access all twelve floors.

Throughout the game, the ruins serve as a place to grind between dungeons as well as a place to get spell cards. The ruins contain every single non-boss enemy in the game, so if you need a particular demon's spell card then you can always get it here.

This is good, because the game's extra-super special hidden Persona requires you to get all 142 spell cards from the enemies who will communicate with you in order to obtain his totem. It's not too difficult to do, but it is sorta a pain in the butt.

So, after collecting all 142 cards and collecting the Avatar totem, it's almost time to fuse! This fusion requires the specific combination of the demons Gandharva and Yaksini, so make sure to grab those real quick. Drumroll please!

Out comes Vishnu! He's the real star of the show, with multiple art pieces as well as a place on the original English PS1 version's cover. Hell, he even managed to appear in the Devil Summoner TV drama (along with Susano-o). His design motif is "king of Persona-users," which is why he retains his traditional Hindu symbols but also sports upper hose, as it was often worn as a formal or royal garment in England.

So, two questions I often see asked are "Who's better, Vishnu or Amen-Ra?" and "Is Vishnu worth the trouble?" For the first question, it depends on what you're using them for. Because of Amen-Ra's skill Hieroglyphein, he's going to be your best bet for fighting Pandora (he probably cuts down the time needed to beat her by half). He can also resist almost all elements, which is a plus. However, he suffers from a lack of moves - three of his five attacks are Fire-based (this can be alleviated with skill inheritance, though). Vishnu has better stats (due to his higher level), and he has a range of different elements (Wind, Ice, Electric, and Axe). His main weakness is Gun, which basically never comes up in-game, and he's weak to Electric, Nuclear, and Gravity just like Amen-Ra. I guess the bottom line is Amen-Ra is best-suited for the final boss, while Vishnu will carry you through other battles.

There's also the question of if Vishnu is worth the trouble of collecting all the spell cards in the first place. In my opinion, not really. If you've hit the requisite level 86 required to use him, there's going to be a number of Personas that will suit your needs just as much if not better. He's kinda more of a Persona you get for bragging rights.

Mikage Ruins
Dungeon - Ruins

Speaking of bragging rights, let's check out just what's hidden down in the Mikage Ruins. Usually these doors will block you, but they'll unlock after you've defeated Pandora.

The ruins are basically one big conglomeration of all the tricks and gimmicks found in the dungeons we've traversed already. For example, floor B8 is made up of levers to open up doors as well as moving tiles.

The latter half of B8 requires you to find the correct pit to fall through, as it's the only way to reach the lever found in the floor below.

If you manage to make it through there, B9 also includes even more moving tiles as well as rotating panels.

And if you ever need to head back upstairs, there's a one-way arrow in front of the stairs for your convenience.

Now, B10 is what I'd consider my favorite floor in the ruins. In order to proceed, you'll need to determine the correct answer to the questions posed to you. All of the questions are based off of demons or gods you can get as Personas, such as Varuna or Verdandi.

> Head right if it's Japan, and left if it's China.

Put your thinking caps on!

The correct answer is Japan, so heading right will safely get you across to the other side. So what happens if you aren't up on all your mythology?

It's the pit for you! You'll fall down to B11 and have to make your way back up to B10. There's five passageways for you to pass in total, each with a different question. For everybody who wants to answer the questions as they read, I've included the answers in spoiler tags.

> Head left if it's the left eye, and right if it's the right eye.

Answer: Left eye

> Head right if it was the right side, and left if it was the left side.

Answer: Right side

> Head right if it was the right hand, and left if it was the left hand.

Answer: Left hand

> Head left if it's November, straight if it's January, and right if it's March.

Answer: January

The last passageway ups its game and presents you with three answers to choose from.

And that's that! Not everybody is going to get the same questions, however. I'm not sure exactly when it decides which questions to use, but I've gotten a different set of questions before.

B11 presents us with several rooms that give us some instructions before we enter them.

Straying from the designated path will result in walking into damage tiles. However, it's actually easier to just barrel straight through and heal any damage you get after the fact.

And at long last, we reach the final floor of the ruins.

The final floor is made up of six rooms, though the one in the middle is sealed off from you at the beginning. You can head to any of the other rooms in whatever order you want.

Each room contains a stone pillar representing one of the seven deadly sins. And inside the pillars?

The reward for beating the final boss and battling your way through the ruins is... more battles! Each battle here is made up of one of the Karma demons and two other demons relating to the sin in question. All of them are regular ol' enemies you'd find in dungeons, but the ones found here are all level 99 with boosted stats.

So, the first battle here is versus Lust, Lilim, and Succubus. The main theme of this battle is Death/Curse and ailments, as two of them have Mudo skills and all three of them can inflict ailments. Equipping Personas who can null/absorb/repel elements is good to have, and having ones that can do the same with Death is good as well. Lust, like all Karma demons, is weak to Amen-Ra's Hieroglyphein, and is also weak to Miracle. Both Lilim and Succubus are weak to physical attacks, so they're not too much of a problem.

Beating these enemies nets you a metric buttload of experience and money, which is great when you've finished all of the dungeons and need someplace to grind.

After the battle, the pillar crumbles to the ground and reveals some more goodies. The Lust pillar gives us a Pearl (increases or decreases stats during fusion, like all gems) and a Dark Wave Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Maeiha when used in fusion).

Up in the northwest corner we find the pillar of Wrath.

We're pulled into a battle with Wrath, Girimehkala, and Hecatoncheires. I'd consider this to be the easiest battle of the ruins. Wrath is filled up with heavy magic attacks, while both Girimehkala and Hecatoncheires have at least one magic and one physical attack on them. Girimehkala can easily be taken out by any magic attacks while Hecatoncheires suffers major damage from Electric, Nuclear, Gravity, and Blast, so a few good hits of Megidolaon can knock both of them out. Wrath suffers from the usual Karma weakness, and it also weak to Expel and Miracle.

Wrath gets us a Diamond and a Evil Fire Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Maragidyne when used in fusion).

Gluttony awaits us in the southwest.

Greed (yes, the enemy is Greed, not Gluttony for some reason), Preta, and Ocelot attack us. Greed specializes in Expel and healing, and it's a good idea to take him out first as he has the full-heal skill Diarahan. Preta has all low-power spells, though he can inflict poison, and Ocelot has a medium-strength Fire attack as well as a paralyzing attack and a fire-absorbing shield. Ocelot is weak to Electric, Nuclear, Blast, and Gravity, but Preta resists all of these elements and can instead be taken down with Expel or Miracle attacks so it's a good idea to have different characters focus on different demons after you've taken Greed out.

Conquering Gluttony grants us a Ruby and a Holywrit Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Mahama when used in fusion).

In a translation goof, the English version of Persona identifies two different pillars as "Lust." However, the southeast room actually houses the pillar of Envy.

It's battle time with Envy, Hannya, and Kuchisake-Onna. Hannya and Kuchisake-Onna are slight opposites of each other - Hannya has a Expel attack and is weak to Death and Curse, while Kuchisake-Onna has a Death attack and is weak to Expel and Miracle. It's good to take Hannya out first, as Kuchisake-Onna and Envy are both weak to Expel/Miracle and so can be attacked together. Hannya and Kuchisake-Onna do have similarities as they both engage in inducing ailments (Fury and Panic). Envy joins in as well, as every single one of its moves induces ailments.

Beating the Envy trio gets us an Emerald and Ebon Rope Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Deathtika when used in fusion).

Moving up, the northeast room is home to Sloth.

Things start getting a bit more complicated with Sloth, Paimon, and Slime. No matter your level, these guys will mess you up if you don't prepare beforehand. Their real danger is the heavy Death damage attack Maeiha, which both Paimon and Sloth share: if you don't null it then you can lose about half your health with one cast of this spell, and if you're weak to it then you can get knocked out in the first round. This isn't helped by the fact that Sloth can also cast the insta-death spell Mamudo. In order to combat this, you'll want to bring in Personas who null Death attacks. If you don't have any, then a speedy caster with the magic-reflecting skill Makarakarn or Magical Guard item will suffice. Magical Guards are also a good idea when you have Personas who don't null elements, as all three enemies can inflict ailments.

In addition to this, Slime is weak to all magic while Paimon reflects all magic. Since Paimon is stronger than Slime, it's better to take him out first. Sloth and Paimon are both weak to Miracle, so you can attack both of them at the same time.

Taking these guys down nets us a Sapphire and a Doggerel Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Mamudo when used in fusion).

The last room aside from the sealed one in the middle is the room of Pride.

So now we've got Pride, Dominion, and Oberon. The main menace here is Dominion, because he reflects all magic as well as Expel/Miracle. Since Pride nulls all physical attacks and Oberon's only weaknesses are magic and guns, it's difficult to attack all of them and so Dominion should be taken out first. Once he's gone, you can take out Pride and Oberon with ease. All three of the enemies specialize in strong magic, so Personas with strong magic resistance are a good choice.

Beating down these three gets us an Alexandrite and a Scorching Tablet (gives a Persona the skill Megidolaon when used in fusion).

When you've conquered all of the other rooms, the seal on the middle door dissipates and lets you in. Make sure you do all of this in one trip, though - leaving the ruins will reset all of the battles (good for grinding, not good when you're trying to beat them all).

White and black... Now where have we seen those colors before?

The game's ultimate bosses are a pair of children's toys - Aki's demon, Tesso, and Mai's demon, Mr. Bear.

Both of these guys are packing some serious punch - they have 99 in every status except for Luck (Tesso) and Agility (Mr. Bear). They both also have about as much HP as Pandora did, with Tesso at 10416 and Mr. Bear at 14500. They luckily have the same movesets as before, so, for example, Tesso still has Megido instead of Megidolaon. To best combat these two, Personas who can null/absorb/repel magic are a good choice.

In terms of who to tackle first, I went with Tesso as he has less HP and less weaknesses to exploit. With more weaknesses to exploit, Mr. Bear is also a good option for taking out first. Tesso is weak to Rush and Electric (along with Hieroglyphein, since he's a Karma demon), though he's also vulnerable to swords, spears, and axes. Like our first encounter with him, the most deadly move he can spring on us is Megido, and he can also annoy us by binding or paralyzing us. Mr. Bear has more HP, but he also has more weaknesses to hit. We just saw him last update, but his weaknesses are Fire, Wind, Nuclear, and Blast, along with guns. He can smack us with Charm as well as the fire attack Maragion.

So, after all the struggle of the ruins and their bosses, what is our final reward?

For our effort, we get the Ruins Medal. What does the medal do? Absolutely nothing. Yep, nothing more than bragging rights. Well, it's not like other Persona games didn't pull the same thing.

And so, with the ruins completed and the Ruins Medal now in our hands, the SEBEC route is now over! Stay tuned, and bundle up because a freezing chill is coming this way...

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 21, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Huh, so the demons that serve Maki's other selves are Greed then. I guess it's fitting, she did want a whole world to fit with her ideal version of everyone, including herself. That's pretty greedy.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
You called the Gluttony section Greed once or twice.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

You called the Gluttony section Greed once or twice.

Whoops, that should all be fixed now. For some reason, the monument is called "Gluttony" but the demon itself is called "Greed." No idea why, but I've made about it in the update because yeah that's confusing.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for showing that off! I only played the PS1 version back in the day, so I didn't know about any of these newfangled sidequests.

It's just as well. If I'd done all that and only gotten the Ruins Medal for it, I'd have probably cracked.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not sure what Paimon has to do with Sloth or Dominion with Pride...

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

PeaceDiner posted:

> Head left if it's November, straight if it's January, and right if it's March.

Answer: January

Seeing as the month of January was named after Janus, this isn't that hard to guess.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Can't rag on bragging right rewards too hard. Every game with this kind of super hard post0game/ng+ has this issue. You either get a bragging item that's useless, or you get a super great weapon that you have nothing to use on. I guess weapons could be used in a follow up ng+ for people who really want to replay the game again but eh...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've finally reached this part of the thread and I just want to say that I've enjoyed the read! This game is fascinating with all the themes of personalities, emotions, and relations to each other. I also enjoy the blend of sci-fi and mythology as well!

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 22 - Cold as ice

So, it's time to start the game's second route! The game splits off right near the beginning, so if you've forgotten anything then make sure to read back through updates 1-4 before returning here.

After Mark and Nanjo left the party, Naoya and the rest of the gang continue on back to St. Hermelin High.

Strange Atmosphere
Elly's Theme

We have an injured woman with us. Won't you open the gate?

Ah, yes. "Roses are red, zombies are blue, I don't want brains, so you know I'm true." Now will you let us in?
Boy on watch: Alright, come in!

The school's gates swing open, and Naoya and Yukino carry Setsuko inside.

Daily Life
Ms. Saeko's Theme

You're all safe!? Oh, I'm so glad... Oh! What happened to her!?
We'll tell you later! We need to get her to the infirmary, quick!
You're right! Naoya, come with me to the infirmary! Yukino, Eriko, I want you to head to the passageway to the gym. Yuka and Yuko are there plugging up the hole in the wall. Please help them out!

Yes, let's go!

Yukino and Elly leave the room, heading for the back of the first floor.

Alright, then we should get going, too.

So that's what SEBEC is up to, huh...? I can't believe them! Hey, Naoya? Sorry to ask, but... Could you go by the hole and ask Yukino and the others not to fill it up? Masao and Kei might have to come back in through there.
Maki's mother isn't badly hurt. You can relax.

School Days
Monochrome (Dungeon - School Revisited)

St. Hermelin High is basically the same as last, except for a change in music in the PS1 version and the fact that some previously locked doors are now open. Naoya needs to get to the passageway to talk to Elly and Yukino but, well, they can wait, can't they? There's a certain club that seems to be hiding a little something...

quote:

Drama club member: I heard there was a traditional play we used to perform... Why not do that? I think it was called The Snow--
Drama club president: Absolutely not! That one's off limits. I'll decide soon...Give me some time.
Snow...? Was he going to suggest The Snow Queen?

Well, the drama club members don't seem like they'll be of much help. Is there somebody in this school who would know?

Female student: I don't think now is the time for that... Though it's admirable in its own way.

It's the traditional play performed by St. Hermelin's drama club. Eeheehee... Don't be so hasty. Listen to this... For some reason, The Snow Queen is usually performed while wearing a mask. Which brings me to my point.
In truth, that mask... is cursed. The students who wore it while playing the role all died unnatural deaths. Isn't that interesting? Supposedly, only one girl who played the part ever survived the curse... No one knows who it is. If we could figure that out, it might unlock the mystery. Eeeheehee...

Sounds intriguing! But that still doesn't help us much in finding more info. Perhaps we could try and persuade the drama club to give us the scoop?

Drama Club member: Our president's the only one who knows about that play. Huh? What play? Oh, uh... it's a secret.
Drama Club member: If there were any records left, you might be able to find something in them... But our president gets all upset if anyone asks about it.

Yeah, I've noticed. Records, though... That could give us some insight.

The student council president seems pretty darn flaky, but maybe he's actually done some work.

Student council president: It was no small task, you know. What? You want me to show them to you? Absolutely not! You have no idea what a pain it was to sort all those! If you want to know about the past, go ask someone who was there!

Alright, fine! I'll go look for somebody! The person who's been here the longest would most likely be the principal.

Hey, just wanted to ask a few questions and maybe dig up some dirt.

Oh, good, I don't even have to explain. Words gets around fast, doesn't it?

...I'll tell you the whole story. The actress portraying the Snow Queen here has traditionally worn a mask. But there was always something unpleasant about that mask... Sooner or later, a rumor started that the Queen's mask was cursed.
I didn't believe it... until that day, eight years ago. The last one to play the Snow Queen was Ms. Saeko.

Eight years ago... Ms. Saeko lost her best friend. If only I'd realized it sooner... Had I forbidden the use of that mask, none of it would have happened. ...The mask was immediately purified and put into storage. But listen to me... you mustn't bring up Ms. Saeko's painful past.
H-Hey, the principal is just joking, okay? Don't believe that junk...!

Well, I guess that's that. While we're waiting on the rest of the party, we should search every nook and cranny to find anything useful, starting with the gym's storage room.

Oh?

Ooooooohhhhh? It couldn't hurt to just look, right?

We could immediately put it back in the box and seal it and forget about it, but where's the fun in that? As long as nobody puts it on or anything...

Teacher: I'm closing off the gym. You should head to the main building. I haven't heard of any demons getting in, yet, but who knows when they will? Hey... where did you get that mask...? ...Nah, it can't be the same one. Anyway, you should get out of here.

Yes, sir! Let's go find Yukino and Elly.

Strange Atmosphere
Ms. Saeko's Theme

You don't even know if that really is Maki!

Maki and Mark leave through the hole in the wall without waiting to listen to what Yukino and Ayase have to say.

Kei was hurt, so Masao, Hidehiko, and Eriko brought him back here. But then...
Maki showed up out of nowhere! Isn't she supposed to be in the hospital!? Something's seriously wrong here!

Y-Yeah, but...

Naoya listens in as Yukino explains the situation to Ms. Saeko.

Wait, Ms. Saeko! If something happens to you, what'll the gang here do? Let us go instead!
Oh, good point, Yukino! Thanks...

That... that mask...! Goodness... I didn't think it was still lying around here...

Ms. Saeko takes the mask from Naoya's hands and looks it over.

I wore this mask when I was in a play called, "The Snow Queen."

Alright everyone, let's gather around for story time!

Snow Queen's Theme - Sad

And one day, this demon made a mirror... The mirror blurred out the beautiful things of the world and made the ugly things clear. The demon climbed to heaven, intending to do mischief to God with the mirror, but the mirror broke on the way up. The countless splinters it broke into rained down upon the earth. And that is how it all began.

But one day, tiny splinters of the mirror got into Kay's eyes and heart. The splinters caused Kay's heart to grow cold and his eyes to see only ugly things. He even began to tease Gerda, whom he cared so much for.

A big, white sleigh appeared in front of Kay, who was playing with his sled at the market square. And the beautiful woman on that white sleigh took him away. Little did he know that the woman was the Snow Queen! That was how Kay came to the Snow Queen's Ice Castle, far to the north.

Along the way, she overcame many hardships and obstacles with the warm help of the people she met. At last, Gerda's love for Kay and her unwavering courage led her to the Ice Castle.

Gerda's warm tears gently covered him, melting his heart. Upon regaining himself, Kay burst into tears, washing away the splinter of the mirror in his eye. Hand in hand, the two left Ice Castle... And lived at home happlily ever after.

Ms. Saeko's Theme

Yes, but some say it's cursed. ...I guess I can see why. It's because of this that my friend was...
C-C'mon, Ms. Saeko! Cut it out! We've got enough to be scared of... That mask gives me the creeps! Why don't you just throw it away?
Oh, sorry about that! It's just a silly school legend. "Whoever wears it, dies"? Ha! I wore it, and I'm okay, aren't I? See? So it's better if I went looking for those two!

Bad idea! This isn't what I wanted to happen!

......? *gasp*

Tension

Ms. Saeko!? What's wrong!?
Wh-What's going on!?

:siren: Scene - Frozen St. Hermelin :siren:

Strange Atmosphere
Consciousness

Naoya and Ayase both slowly rise to their feet.

Huh? Uh... where am I?

Snow Queen's Theme - Main

Out of all of the tracks that got scrapped for the PSP remake, I think the absence of the Snow Queen themes makes me the saddest. They give the route a nice leitmotif with a cold, wintry feel. The main theme in particular fits perfectly with the image of a fairy tale.

Yukino rushes toward her teacher, but is swiftly pushed back before she can reach her.

Frigid ice freezes her feet to the ground as icicles surround Ms. Saeko.

Hahaha... Finally! I've been waiting so long!
Ms. Saeko...?
Saeko? Oh... I see what's happening. Poor Saeko... Hahahah.
Huh? But you are Saeko! Are you okay!? Did you trip and hit your head or something?

Teeheehee... Ahahaha! That's the Saeko I remember so well. Self-confident... self-centered... She'd step on anyone to get to be the center of attention.
What's wrong with you!? Stop with the jokes, 'cause they aren't funny!
Jokes? Look around you. Hahaha... you think this is a joke? Beautiful, isn't it? A peaceful, perfectly still landscape. You'll all be dressed in ice and stay beautiful forever. So come on over...

Ayase approaches, not even fazed as ice encases her feet as well.

You're our teacher! This is just...
Oh, what a lovely girl. Hahaha... Come closer, girl, and I'll give you ageless beauty.
Don't do it, Yuka! It's the mask... It must have taken her over! Okay, monster, you lay one finger on Ms. Saeko and your rear end is grass!

Tell me, who was it who undid the seal on the mask? Who put it on without thinking twice? Not to mention... isn't it rude to go around calling people monsters? I think I'd prefer... the Snow Queen. Very fitting for this mask, isn't it?

Can it! What do you want with Ms. Saeko!?
What a reckless young lady. Your teacher is going to be... a sacrifice.
A... A sacrifice?
Yes, that's right. Saeko is so full of hope. If I offer her as a sacrifice... The stilnness of despair--the Eternal Night--is sure to descend.
Huh...? Does that mean everyone's gonna get frozen? I hate being cold!

Well, aren't you brave? Fine... you can have her. But Saeko will stay frozen as long as she has this mask on. So will the school. And don't think you can leave. You'll see what I mean if you walk around a little. There's no escape. You only have two choices... Welcome the Eternal Night, or take the mask off Saeko.
Okay, but like, how do we do that?
Hahaha, keep fighting it. Nothing's more beautiful than despair after a struggle. I can't wait to bask in your beautiful despair...
Hey! I asked you a question!

With a flash of light, Ms. Saeko's body completely freezes over. She stands as still as an ice sculpture.

Hahaha... Watch it, or Saeko and the mask will both shatter into smithereens. I have a few rituals to perform, so there is still time before the Eternal Night. Why don't we pass the time with a game?
A game!?

If you can defeat them before the clocks in each tower strike twelve... I'll turn Saeko and the school back to normal. I must leave this mask now and prepare to call down the Eternal Night. I hope you enjoy yourselves while I'm gone. Hahaha... I'll see you later.
Hey, wait! Don't leave...! Omigod... Wh-What're we gonna do!?

Yeaaaah, not really gonna try and deny that.

If you never found that stupid mask, this wouldn't have happened! You better own up! Are you a man or not!? Say something!
Stop it, Yuka! Pointing fingers won't help the situation any. It's not like Naoya knew what was gonna happen.
But Yukino...

Darkness flashes in and out of the courtyard, drawing the attention of the three students.

Philemon, my good friend! So good to see you again. Dreadfully cold weather, wouldn't you say?

Huh...? "Again"?

:siren: Scene - The Search For Shards :siren:

A moment, please. You are angry and frustrated, but that will not rescue your teacher. There is only one way to do that: the demon mirror. It can remove the source of the mask's curse. However, the Snow Queen has shattered it.

The twelve shards are scattered amongst three towers. Take this mirror frame with you. Fit the mirror shards you find into it. If you gather enough shards to reflect your teacher, she can be saved. There isn't much time left. I pray for your success.

Strange Atmosphere
Snow Queen's Theme - Main

Umm, Yukino? You know the towers are guarded by demons, right? Aren't we a little, y'know, shorthanded?
You can stay here if you want. We won't force you to come, not when we don't know what we're up against.
Uh, no, I meant... It's just...
I'll do whatever it takes to save Ms. Saeko. I used to be a lousy delinquent. Even my parents gave up on me... but not her. She never gave up on me. Ever. Now it's my turn to help her, and my... expertise can be put to a good cause.

You're not planning on leaving me here all alone, are you...? 'Cause I'm going with you! I feel much safer around you and Naoya.
Haha, sure... whatever floats your boat. If we get stuck in a bad situation, I'm sure you'll help lighten the mood.

Yukino's eyes lazily wander over Ayase before she spots a certain something.

Kei gave it to me. Him and Masao went to the police station for some weapons. But Kei got hurt, so they came back to school. He handed me some guns and said to hold on to them while he went to the nurse... So I kept one for myself! Hehehe... I always wanted to try shooting one of these things!

C'mon, let's go inside, quick!
Yeah, standing here won't do anyone any good. Y'think the three of us can handle the demons and get those Mirror Shards...? I dunno, maybe we should grab a couple of more people, like Yuka said.
Sure, but let's get inside! I'm freezing to death here!

With the go-ahead, Ayase runs through the doors and inside the building. Naoya follows shortly behind her.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 25, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

All the Ms. Saeko's Theme links are broken apart from the first one, they link to an unavaliable video.

Also this route split feels kind of...awkwardly placed. "OH THERE'S THIS MASK AND IT'S CURSED" and then we're off-rails. It feels like something that should be a sidequest rather than a full route split, but what do I know, maybe it'll make more sense later. I do like that your starting party is different from the other route though.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

PeaceDiner posted:

Bad idea! This isn't what I wanted to happen!

Nothing bad has ever come from putting on a mask in a Persona game.

quote:

Yes, that's right. Saeko is so full of hope. If I offer her as a sacrifice... The stilnness of despair--the Eternal Night--is sure to descend.

... (Remembers the Persona 3 plot.) Well, son of a bitch.

So is the big evil plot of P3 meant to be a call-back to this, or did it just happen that way? Like, Ikutsuki and his predecessors could have learned of "The Fall" from this right here.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Kevos Setzer posted:

So is the big evil plot of P3 meant to be a call-back to this, or did it just happen that way? Like, Ikutsuki and his predecessors could have learned of "The Fall" from this right here.

It's probably just coincidence.
Don't hold me to it, but, I think 1&2 are set in a different continuity than 3 onward.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

All the Ms. Saeko's Theme links are broken apart from the first one, they link to an unavaliable video.

Also this route split feels kind of...awkwardly placed. "OH THERE'S THIS MASK AND IT'S CURSED" and then we're off-rails. It feels like something that should be a sidequest rather than a full route split, but what do I know, maybe it'll make more sense later. I do like that your starting party is different from the other route though.

Whoops, that's been fixed. Thank you! Speaking of music, all of the music from the SEBEC and common routes have been reuploaded and linked! This includes a piece of music I recorded from the PS1 version last night - Encounter - which plays when you find Maki's mother turned into a demon.

Yeah, there's a reason people tend to call it the Snow Queen Quest rather than the Snow Queen Route. More of a fun little thing that you do after you've exhausted everything on the SEBEC route. That's not to say it's not somewhat long and full of stuff to do, just that it's shorter than the SEBEC route.

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 26, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

the_steve posted:

It's probably just coincidence.
Don't hold me to it, but, I think 1&2 are set in a different continuity than 3 onward.

Pretty much the idea is that after the ending of Eternal Punishment, the world got completely rebooted again, so 3 and 4 are a different world with Philemon being weakened so rules are different.

(on that note the Raidou Kuzunoha games are where the timeline splits, one goes down the main SMT time line, and the other down the Persona games)

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Update 23 - Food fight

Ice Castle
Black Snow (Dungeon - Ice Castle)

So, since Naoya decided he had to get his grubby hands on a cursed mask, St. Hermelin High is now iced over and has trapped all of the students inside. The layout (and music) of the school has changed entirely, now just sitting one floor high with a variety of rooms that were originally on the first, second, and third floors. We should check in with our friends, starting with the cafeteria that sits directly across from the courtyard.

Brown and Toro are the only two familiar faces chilling (heh) in the cafeteria.

I'm lactose intolerant... This is a conspiracy by someone who knows! Yeah, that's gotta be it! Everyone in the world is laughing at my bad luck! *sob* Dammit...
Male student: Everything froze over all of a sudden. Did demons do that, too? I just took a look and we're starting to run low on food... No surprise that Toro's panicking.

Brown is content to greet Naoya by blasting snot all over him. At least we know it's not cold enough to freeze bodily liquids.

Oh, sorry. Did that get on your clothes? I seriously feel like some wilted lettuce stuck in the fridge. It's depressing. I thought about having some hot ramen, but I can't boil any water. Plus, Toro's freaking out. Says he's gonna eat all the food to get over being dumped.
That's why I hurried to hide everything except the dairy stuff. I mean, who knows what'll happen, y'know? I'm like, so on top of things!
Even the inside of the school's frozen! How could that monster do this to us!?
We can't waste our time here! Let's go find someone we can rely on!

drat, Yuki, letting your feelings towards Brown really show. Well, our next stop should be the nurse's office so we can know where to find healing when we need it.

Strange Atmosphere
Number 1 (Nanjo's Theme)

No worries. The way that bandage was applied, it served no purpose anyway.
Hmph... Excuse me for being a little bit of a butterfingers.
Well, if you'll excuse me...
Wait, what are you doing? Don't tell me you're going outside...!
Female student: Yeah, c'mon, Kei. You're just gonna get hurt again. Besides... We've been all over campus and we couldn't find any ways out. We can't leave the school!
Hm? What are you babbling about? This isn't the time to share your day dreams.

Ignoring their words, Nanjo turns to leave the room before spotting our group.

The Snow Queen? Is it April 1st already? You can devise a better lie that that. I haven't time to waste on fools. Now, kindly step aside.
She's right, Kei. There's no exit.
Yukino, not you too-- Wait... Has the phenomenon we saw at the hospital reoccurred here!?

But the bad news is there's no way out.
...I'm concerned for Masao and Maki. I must get outside at any cost.
Maki... Is there really no exit? I wonder if there's something we can do...
Turns out, there is. But we need help.
What do you mean?
Okay, here goes...

Ayase and Yuki explain the situation as clearly as one could try to explain something like an evil snow spirit taking over a school.

If we save Ms. Saeko from this so-called Snow Queen, the school will be restored. And you're expecting my help?

So this time around we get to choose who our two other party members will be. Since we just spent a good twenty-something updates with Nanjo, we won't be taking him this time around. With the way he's been acting, I'm sure he'll do okay with just himself.

Yep, thought about much.

I can't believe the phenomenon has spread to the school...
Is this that Agastya thing? I've heard it has, like, weird powers.
I hate doctors... but if we get hurt, we should go see Nurse Natsumi. Better that than force ourselves to keep going while we're injured.

Speaking of falling for people... Ayase! Did I hear that Kenta confessed his love for you? What did you say to him!? That boy's been acting very strange lately. You should take people's feelings into consideration before you say something!
Well said! And like, you would know, with all your experience getting rejected.
...Well, back to work for me.

Owch. Nurse Natsumi, you may have to treat yourself for that burn. Speaking of treating, our party can always come back to this office to get free healing.

And, like Ayase alluded to, this room also serves as a save point since it contains a somehow not frozen Agastya Tree for us to use.

Now then, where could Elly be...?

Strange Atmosphere
Elly's Theme

Eeheehee... Of course, Eriko. This temperature....
...is not due to a cold front! I'm 90% sure.
I'm sorry... But I came up empty. None of the books mention this kind of thing at all.
Oh... is that so? Then I'll keep up my own search. I'm very intrigued by this door...

Elly strolls up to the door in question, looking at the words that are etched into into its golden finish.

Nemesis? Hmm... Greek, you say? Iiiiiiinteresting...
Nemesis is the Greek goddess of retribution.

Wouldn't he be pretty useful? Someone like him would be a big plus, I think.
Whaaaat!? I don't wanna sound mean, but... he's not my type. I say no.
That's your idea of "not being mean"? Who cares whether he's your type!? Though I gotta admit... He looks more than a little flaky.
Hey, how 'bout Eriko? She might be able to translate if we meet foreign demons.
Hmm... You know, she does seem to know about that stuff. Yeah, that could work.

At the mention of her name, Elly walks across the room to our group.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I heard my name come up.
Oh, we were just saying you probably know a lot about demons. Here's what's going on...

Like Nanjo, Elly gets a short and sweet summary of the events thus far.

I love stories of monsters and ghosts, but this... I never imagined I'd witness multiple supernatural events, one after another. Something must be done before it's too late.

I can't let her miss out on some spooky supernatural phenomena again, now can I? Welcome to the team, Elly.

Now that we've got that all settled, we just need to get one more person in our party.

Hm... Nemesis Tower... Nemeis is the Greek goddess of retribution. I'm uneasy about this...
The hospital was all messed up inside, just like the school, right? You think my house is okay? I don't wanna see some demon kickin' it in the den.
Hey, lots of paper here. Wanna make a bonfire?
By the way, I heard there was some commotion at the *cafeteria*. Eeeheehee... Oh yeah, my uncle's a detective, and he once told me saw a demon. I wonder if Yarai-ku is okay. Eeeheehee...

Tsutomu's uncle is Isono "T-Shirt" Shogo from the original Devil Summoner. Tsutomu's taking the whole "demon infestation" thing a bit better than his uncle, at least. But more importantly than that, we should head back and check out what's happening in the cafeteria.

Strange Atmosphere
Tension

Aw man, what have you guys gotten yourself into this time?

Just please don't eat any more! You're gonna waste it all!
Male student: I'm sorry, man. I thought if you found it, you'd gobble it all up. The whole school's in trouble! We have to ration the food! You gotta understand...
Sh-Shut up! Why's everyone make fun of me!? I know you were sharing the food without telling me! That's it, this food's mine!
Nooo! Our precious, precious food! One guy goes crazy from rejection and we all starve to death now? How can my charmed life end this way!? Croaking alongside a fatso...

Y-Y-Y-Y-YOU SAID THE F-WORD! DON'T CALL ME FAT! drat YOU ALL! I'm gonna eat and eat and eat before I die! I'll stuff myself! Then I'll watch the rest of you collapse one by one! Ahahahahahahahahaha!
Male student: H-Hey, Brown... he's completely lost it. What do we do?
D-Don't ask me! Man, Yuka, this is all your fault for rejecting him!

Only one thing to do... knock the poor bastard out cold.
Hahahahahahaha... No way! Not gonna happen! Wanna know why? 'Cause the butterfly gave me a demon! I'm not just a butterball anymore, Yuka! Ahahahahahahaha!
Uh... a demon? Wow, sounds like his mind snapped along with his heart.
What!? Does he mean a Persona...?
Male student: I'll grab a teacher! Keep an eye on him, I'll be right back!

The student scurries out of the room, eager to get away and find a teacher.

I don't think he'll come to his senses without a swift kick in the butt.
Who're you calling "Boss"!? Tch, you're such a clown... Sure, I'll try that if nothing else works. For now, let's buy us some time until the teacher gets here!
Hey Hidehiko, you listening? Quit standing around and give us a hand!
Mwahahaha... I'll follow you to the ends of the earth!

Brown joins the rest of the group in front of Toro, still as smug as ever despite being one of the instigators of this whole mess.

Toro, why're you doing this!? You're like, making me look like the bad guy here!
Aaaah, my darling Yuka! I'll save you, and only you... if you promise to go out with me. I'll even save you some food! Ahahahahahaha!

No wonder Ayase's a party member for this quest, she's cold as ice.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH...! DAMMIT! DAMMIT, DAMMIT, DAMMIT! I'M... I'M... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH...!
D-Don't get him mad! You're too blunt, Yuka... I bet you were just as cold to him when he said he loved you!
Eh, not really. I just told him the truth. All I said was, like...

Smile
Toy & Joy (Confession)

Y-Y-Yuka... Um... um... I'm, um, I'm sorry for, um, asking you to meet me here.
Geez, speak up already! If you're not saying anything, I'm out. Seeya!
W-Wait! There is something! I'll tell you right now. ...Are you ready?
Like, spit it out already! I got people waiting on me!
...Yuka... I... I I-I-I-I...
You... what?

P-P-P-P-Please go out with me! I p-p-p-promise I'll make you hippy... I, I mean, happy. *pant* *pant*

Alright, I'm out. Laters.

Why not? What's so bad about me?
Let's see, you're fat, slow, wear the same clothes every day, laugh at everything... And I've never seen you do anything but eat, sleep, and read manga. I like, don't get what keeps you going. Everything about you sucks!
H-How can you be so mean...? Well... what do YOU like, Yuka? You laugh when you aren't happy, you hang out with people you think are stupid... Are you scared to be alone?

Stop acting like you got it all figured out, butterball!

Ayase leaves the room in a huff, presumably slamming the door shut behind her.

Toro slumps to the ground and hangs his head in shame.

Strange Atmosphere
Tension

Quick, apologize! It's not too late! Say you're sorry!
I did? Really!? Uh, did the truth really hurt that bad, Toro?

Confrontation

You'll pay for stomping all over my pure, innocent heart... Mr. Demon... Oh, Mr. Demon! Come out! Come out and punish the people who keep making fun of me! Bimble... Bumble... Bambob-bun...
Whoa whoa whoa, what's the chanting about? This isn't some manga...
Unh... Uuuuuuuuunnnnggggghhh! It's coming out!

A Lone Prayer
Awakening Legend (Battle - Awakening)

Whoa there, Toro. Did something disagree with you? I know you're lactose intolerant--

Okay then! I've seen people refer to Toro's Persona as "Mara," most likely due to its phallic shape and positioning. However, nothing in the game or official media ever refers to Toro's Persona by name, so we don't know for sure what it is. To me, personally, it looks a lot like Nidhoggr.

Haha... ha... S-Sorry, Kenta. Is, uh, it too late to apologize?
Ahahahahahahahahaha... It's much, much, much, much, much too laaaaate! Eat THIS!

Agh! Dammit... How dare you!?

Toro sends a blast of Agi raining down on Naoya and Yukino, but misses both of them.

He sends another flame spinning towards Ayase, but she dodges as well.

Ayase awakens to her Persona, Houri, beautiful spirits in the Islamic faith who live in Jannah and are the physical manifestations of ideal forms.

Brown awakens to his Persona as well - Nemhain, the Irish goddess of havoc and war who can kill 100 men with a single battle cry. With a blast, he finishes off Toro.

I didn't give it permission to come out of me like that!

Strange Atmosphere
Brown's Theme

What in the world was that...?
They don't seem to be hostile; at least, not for now.
Looks like our little squad's getting bigger.
Uh... squad?
Huh? You mean you and Naoya are like, you know... and stuff?

For some reason, only those who dreamed of the butterfly acquired the power. It also seems related to the demon invasion somehow...
Wait a sec, Toro was using a Persona, right? Did he have that dream, too?
Yes, that's the most likely explanation.
Omigod! I don't believe it! No... no, it can't be! That thing's gonna come out of my tummy, and I'll go berserk!?
Er... I don't think so. It's all in how you use it. Take a knife, for example. It can be a valuable tool in the kitchen, or a weapon on the battlefield. What it does is determined by its user.

Oh, duh! I know exactly what that butterfly wants me to do! It made me a hero so I could save the school--and the city! Haha, alright... If you guys really need me thaaaat much... I guess I can pitch in. Follow my lead!
Well, if he wants to come, fine with us. Right, Naoya?

Of course, didn't you hear him? He's a bona fide hero! And, well, our only other option is Nanjo and I can only deal with so much intellectual posturing.

C'mon, guys! I know you all want me tagging along! No need to hide it!
What are you doing? Quit moping around! We're leaving!
Y-Yes, Boss!

...Well, perhaps "hero" isn't the right word? Either way, the commotion's died down so we should check on everybody.

Oh... hi everyone. Don't look at me like that, it's embarrassing...
We went through hell, no thanks to Ayase. Honestly, that girl...
Male student: Huh? You're asking why I didn't go get the teacher? I did! But she wouldn't give me the time of day. She said she was busy, and that it'd heal on its own. Anyway, I'm just glad our food is safe.

I wonder if Toro's okay. I mean, like, not that I care or anything.
Well then, let's make our way to the tower.

Right, the towers!

So, the three towers that the Snow Queen spoke of are located on the south side of school (along with another building that's of no use to us at the moment). Let's check them out, starting with the one in Class 2-1.

Mysterious butterfly: The Snow Queen's power seems to be weakened after you saved Toro from his Persona. The doors that were previously frozen shut should now be open to you.

Mysterious butterfly: This tower is filled with immensely powerful demons. Gathering the Mirror Shards here will be a formidable task indeed. I must warn you of this, as well... Once you enter a tower, you cannot leave until you defeat its master. Be sure of yourself before entering one.

That sounds fun, but I also like having options as well. One of the towers was located in the library, wasn't it?

Mysterious butterfly: This tower has a complex structure as well as a cruel, calculating master. In your current state, it may be a perilous path to take.

And the last stop is the Fencing Club's room.

Mysterious butterfly: Of the three, this tower has the simplest structure. I believe it will be comparatively easy to find the Mirror Shards there.

You can attempt the towers in whatever order you like, with the mysterious butterfly giving you helpful hints on the relative difficulty of them. The general order would be starting with the easiest, Hypnos Tower, and then going to Nemesis before ending with Thanatos. However! Depending on which order you defeat the towers in, you'll get a certain number of an item called Ambrosia. To get the most, you'll have to start with the most difficult of the towers - Thanatos Tower. This already difficult route will become even more dangerous and will require planning and plenty of patience. Did I mention that you can't save in the towers and you're given a time limit for each tower?

So, of course, that is the run we will be doing. Join me next time as we start our Thanatos run!

PeaceDiner fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
I was going to make a crack about the first fight of this route being a goon, but Toro really nailed Ayase's malfunction, didn't he?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
On the same note, I was gonna get all indignant about people labeling Ayase as cold when she rejected a guy who straight up said he would be complicit in her death by starvation and/or demon murder if she didn't go out with him, but drat that girl is not innocent.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Toro's definitely an obsessive, selfish loser, but drat Ayase is just vicious, and seems unaware there's a difference between being honest and being an rear end in a top hat.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This route/quest is so weird. It's like they put an idea they had for a different game in here.
3 hour real time timelimit is something else.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010

Leraika posted:

On the same note, I was gonna get all indignant about people labeling Ayase as cold when she rejected a guy who straight up said he would be complicit in her death by starvation and/or demon murder if she didn't go out with him, but drat that girl is not innocent.

Robindaybird posted:

Toro's definitely an obsessive, selfish loser, but drat Ayase is just vicious, and seems unaware there's a difference between being honest and being an rear end in a top hat.

I'm digging this quite a bit - it might just be me, but it seems rare that writers are willing to portray these kinds of personal-scale conflicts in anything other than black and white. Terrible people tend to do terrible things to each other.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

:siren: I remembered why I mentioned Philemon's design being based off of Zhuang Zhou :siren:

It's because the game's character designer Kaneko straight up said as much in an interview (you can find the rest of the interview here, but beware some spoilers). I've made a note of it in the update where Philemon removes his mask.

Speaking about the latest update itself, I actually rather like Ayase and I hope to see more characters like her in future Persona games. Like Pieuvre said, you're definitely going to encounter people like her in the world and so it makes sense to find characters like her in a game that's supposed to be about inter- and intrapersonal conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I love how they talk in the interview about Yamaoka being based on Alfred from Batman (and they internally called him that) since it was a fairly obvious inspiration, but the US PS1 localization changed a lot of names to American pop culture references and just straight up renamed the character to Alfred.

Talking about how they spent a year going through like 20 drafts for the story kind of helps explain the existence of the Snow Queen quest to me, like it was from an earlier discarded story idea or maybe one that they had begun to implement in the game. Especially given its strong similarity to Shin Megami Tensei If...
I do think it's kind of funny that they ask about an incredibly minor detail in the Snow Queen quest but not the more obvious question of why it exists in the first place.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 31, 2017

• Locked thread