Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

For people who have beaten this game, how long was your playthrough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
Mine was 8 hours, I was fairly thorough to start but after the first several days I started not looking everywhere for extra content.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Annoying that demontower isn't accessible when you finish the game - guess I need to start again and get up to that point...

I have 13 hrs playtime but a good 4 hrs of that is demontower.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Crimes.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

RedneckwithGuns posted:

For people who have beaten this game, how long was your playthrough?

I took 10 hours, and I was trying to see everything (didn't succeed though, couldn't get the saxophonist & violinist to play together on the big stage & I couldn't talk to the goth trio again in the epilogue even though other people could). I also spent absolutely zero time on demontower, which looks like it could take 1-2+ hours depending on how good/determined you are at video games.

I'd also watched an LP of the first 2-3 hours of the game before playing because I couldn't stand not being able to play it right away when it dropped (one of the streamers on LoadingReadyRun has a hilarious reaction to Germ talking about crust punks), so that probably cut down on the amount of time running around trying to figure out what to do next.

Keep in mind this game has replay value because you're not going to be able to see everything on a single run.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 26, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
11.7 hours for my first playthrough, with some Demontower (hit floor 7), attempting to see as much as possible but accidentally skipping parts of a couple days by activating Bea's events early and not realizing where to find Germ most of the time (the abandoned Food Donkey or whatever it is opens eventually, don't be like me and assume since every time you try to go there the first few days you can't that you can't ever), and having some trouble as my USB controller I never use fell somewhere and had the stick pressed to the side and I spent a while trying to figure out why Mae wanted to move right even when I pressed other things.

Planning on at least one more playthrough, probably two, to see things I didn't the first time and try to find everything, but not immediately; I'm pretty satisfied with the story and don't feel the need to immediately jump back in. Been in a pretty good mood since I finished it, really. On the Undertale comparison, while it's definitely not the same thing it's definitely the game that's affected me the most since Undertale. Probably even moreso, really.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
godddddddddddd when are they gonna release the soundtrack. It's so good

My playthrough took me ~13 hours, but a good portion of that was demontower, which i never actually beat. oh well. I'm gonna play it again and get all of the gregg events.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Oh! There's also the two Longest Night supplemental games if you want to get more into the world. Just keep in mind that while a couple familiar faces pop up, they're fairly different from the main game in tone. They were released literally years ago, so they don't spoil anything. There's a fair amount of references in NITW to them, though.

The first is Longest Night, released like a month after the kickstarter originally ended. The developers called it a "digital yule log" I think. It's pretty short and should take you less than a half-hour to complete.

The second is Longest Night: Lost Constellation, released a year after the first Longest Night game. You build cute/ugly/demented snowmen in it. It's also significantly longer then the first game - about 3-4 hours - and while it can be a little rough around the edges, it's definitely worth your time. The ending is one of the things that really gave me confidence that the team behind this game could pull it off.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Feb 26, 2017

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
demontower was worth it. i got really frustrated with the controls at some points, but it was definitely a Get Good situation. There are some neat little mechanics in there, and the boss design is usually satisfying. The procedural generation element could use some work, but whatever. A good Hyper Light Lite experience.

Gossip Kills
Feb 26, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Sunday Morning Tribes Sports Day Public Posting on Projectile and Mabel

I don't know how much more clear you faggots need this made out to you that you are loving with a game series you have no business to and you're doing it for the most willfyully ignorant and selfish reasons.

You're going to cost a lot of people a lot of money by loving up Midair and Tribes (just like Dave G). Please GET THE gently caress OUT OF TRIBES U FUKIN LOSERS .

congrats mabel ur a loving human being with a huge ego thanks for ruining midair - t:a #2
http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=686572

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This game is ripe for fanart shipping all the teen stuff

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

Okay I see your point but consider: Gregg.

gregg rulz ok

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Oxxidation posted:

Okay I see your point but consider: Gregg.

"I have cups on my ears!"

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Finished up the game this morning and loved every second of it. The ending does wrap up a little soon, but I did appreciate that they didn't just answer all of the questions.

The stuff with the cult reminded me a lot of Hot Fuzz's big reveal. I think it comes from a very similar place of adults loving things up and killing people to try to hang onto some rapidly dwindling prosperity.

I feel that this was supposed to be a supernatural thing, and I agree that it was way better that they didn't have a Poirot type explanation for why it was caused by mine gasses or something.

That being said I do hope that Scott puts out a lore/making of book at some point (along with the soundtrack!)

For those of you who did the pastor's story Did you guys also get the vibe that the homeless dude was definitely telling Mae a lie about why he was leaving to make her not be sad? When he was talking about never drinking again and seeing his kids again I really felt like this guy was not actually going to do any of that...it seemed way to happy of an ending for this world.

Sushi in Yiddish fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Feb 26, 2017

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Finished up the game this morning and loved every second of it. The ending does wrap up a little soon, but I did appreciate that they didn't just answer all of the questions.

The stuff with the cult reminded me a lot of Hot Fuzz's big reveal. I think it comes from a very similar place of adults loving things up and killing people to try to hang onto some rapidly dwindling prosperity.

I feel that this was supposed to be a supernatural thing, and I agree that it was way better that they didn't have a Poirot type explanation for why it was caused by mine gasses or something.

That being said I do hope that Scott puts out a lore/making of book at some point (along with the soundtrack!)

For those of you who did the pastor's story Did you guys also get the vibe that the homeless dude was definitely telling Mae a lie about why he was leaving to make her not be sad? When he was talking about never drinking again and seeing his kids again I really felt like this guy was not actually going to do any of that...it seemed way to happy of an ending for this world.
I got the vibe that his kids were already dead and he killed himself by jumping off that ominous cliff to the right. So in a sense, he was telling the truth. The pastor knew about his kids and inferred what he'd done. But maybe that's just me being morbid.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
https://youtu.be/gJv-iFkzV4M

I love this track so much.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

anime was right posted:

there's less novelty to it, i think it's gonna be a slow burn of a game that slowly gets recommended into further popularity though. it's probably the best story-driven indie game since undertale imo
I think describing it as "It's a game where Busy Town went through a recession" has been what's sold friends who I've talked to about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

"This is like something out of a failed state."

"What's that?"

"When you make a country and it doesn't work out."

"So...like this one?"

"Ayyyyyyy"

"Ayyyyyyyy"

Our brave youth, they laugh to keep the tears away.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think describing it as "It's a game where Busy Town went through a recession" has been what's sold friends who I've talked to about it.

Richard Scarry presents: True Detective

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What's the deal with those windmill drones on the roofs?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Really Pants posted:

What's the deal with those windmill drones on the roofs?

Mae says something about them being a thing that the boy scouts analogue makes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do they do anything, though? I found four, but not until the second to last day or so.

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
If you do Angus's scene at the park, you'll find them and be able to read them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Do I really have to delete my save if I want to start over? There's no NG+ where I can hang out with everybody?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

eatenmyeyes posted:

Richard Scarry presents: True Detective

Night in the Woods has a much better ending

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

Really Pants posted:

Do I really have to delete my save if I want to start over? There's no NG+ where I can hang out with everybody?

I couldn't find one, at least. I just deleted my save.

Not sure what NG+ would really do in this game anyways, doubt they'd put in extra dialogue for "you did this before" type stuff.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Really Pants posted:

Do they do anything, though? I found four, but not until the second to last day or so.

How do you get the one on the clik clak diner's roof at the least.
The streetlamp is the closest thing to it, and it's not close enough to make the leap

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ng+ would probably just skip the first couple of days where you cant do poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hemingway To Go! posted:

How do you get the one on the clik clak diner's roof at the least.

You can jump from the streetlight on the next building and reach a lamp over the door. You can't stand on that lamp for more than a split second, but you can jump off it to reach the roof.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Really Pants posted:

You can jump from the streetlight on the next building and reach a lamp over the door. You can't stand on that lamp for more than a split second, but you can jump off it to reach the roof.

this is what i've been trying to do. good to know it isn't a waste

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Minor non story interaction spoiler fanart

https://twitter.com/insertdisc5/status/835681706338287616

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

pumpinglemma posted:

I got the vibe that his kids were already dead and he killed himself by jumping off that ominous cliff to the right. So in a sense, he was telling the truth. The pastor knew about his kids and inferred what he'd done. But maybe that's just me being morbid.

That's exactly what I got out of it. I was expecting the pastor to say the reason he was homeless and started going downhill in the first place was because his kids died in an accident that he blamed himself for.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

For reals though what's up with the janitor

My copy seemed bugged in that I got zero achievements - I think Steam Big Picture might interfere with that because I streamed the game to my TV because it looks great on a big screen.

I think I found most of the stuff in the game but not everything? I hung out with Angus but I didn't know you could 'read' windmills or whatever, I didn't bother much with Demontower, and I think I found the roof-violinist too late to complete his story because either I mistook him for background earlier in the game or I otherwise missed something.

Glad to get payoff very end with the crawlspace and tooth.

Where are the three pentagrams? One of them I got from Bea's final hangout, one of them I assume is automatic right near the end, in that I clearly saw it made out of debris but nothing special popped up, and I have no idea about the third.

edit: also does Mae suffer from dwarfism? Because at age 20 she's half the size of her parents and most of the teenagers are taller than her.
I also kinda appreciate that since she only has one sitting animation and it's normally for her leaning her arms on something stiff, when she's on a regular couch watching Garbo and Malloy it looks like she's preparing to launch herself off the couch as soon as it's polite to do so.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2017

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

bewilderment posted:

My copy seemed bugged in that I got zero achievements - I think Steam Big Picture might interfere with that because I streamed the game to my TV because it looks great on a big screen.
I got some of the achievements, but it looks like other ones didn't trigger when I should have got them. Maybe it's a problem with the current build?

bewilderment posted:

Where are the three pentagrams? One of them I got from Bea's final hangout, one of them I assume is automatic right near the end, in that I clearly saw it made out of debris but nothing special popped up, and I have no idea about the third.
Think the last one is in one of the buildings in town - to the left of the stage where the person is playing an instrument on stage and there's all the pigeons. It looked like a blank poster when I played it because apparently they forgot to include that asset or something.

This game is pretty amazing, as if that needed to be restated. Going to have to play it through multiple times to get everything.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Asymmetrikon posted:

Think the last one is in one of the buildings in town - to the left of the stage where the person is playing an instrument on stage and there's all the pigeons. It looked like a blank poster when I played it because apparently they forgot to include that asset or something.

Now I'm wondering if I missed an entire building in town because I don't remember any person on a stage and the only building interiors in the town I remember are the apartments, the parade float storage, and the shops.
(and also one extra during the epilogue)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bewilderment posted:

Now I'm wondering if I missed an entire building in town because I don't remember any person on a stage and the only building interiors in the town I remember are the apartments, the parade float storage, and the shops.
(and also one extra during the epilogue)

its a place you have to go out of your way to find

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

It's clear I missed a bunch of stuff but pending another play through, my dad never cleared the crawlspace. What's back up in there?

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
My missing achievements popped when I "continued" my finished game just now. Good thing I did that before wiping the save for a new game.

redcheval posted:

It's clear I missed a bunch of stuff but pending another play through, my dad never cleared the crawlspace. What's back up in there?

The way to the cellar.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
There was an issue with the cheevos in a previous build. I think it's fixed now.

I think in order to get dad to move the boxes, you have to watch tv with him every day for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

youcallthatatwist posted:

There was an issue with the cheevos in a previous build. I think it's fixed now.

I think in order to get dad to move the boxes, you have to watch tv with him every day for a while.

what kind of monster wouldn't want to watch Garbo and Malloy. THAT'S A WHOPPAH

On the other hand while it doesn't matter at all in the end, I guess things are slightly more positive if you don't talk to your mom on a certain day.