Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Twobirds posted:

It's probably intended to be vague (I think one of the authors explicitly does not want to elaborate) but I got the impression that the supernatural elements want to take advantage of mental problems that develop or already exist in order to encourage people to give themselves up for their brutal cause. Like, the (final dream sequence) cat god talks about how it and the rest of the universe just does not care about you, and my final takeaway was that the world is a harsh place and beware anyone who says your problems will be solved if you Buy This Thing or Go Fight The Enemy or just Stop Complaining And Work Harder because they really just want to take advantage of your personal struggle to find meaning where none exist.

Mental issues feel kind of cheapened if they're caused by spooky stuff, so I might be trying to explain the game to myself around that idea.

a thing can be more than one thing, like how the black goat is a voracious force of spacetime-rending darkness but also late-stage capitalism

mae's mental issues are genuine, the supernatural stuff might also be genuine, but the latter is deliberately crafted to accentuate the former

"the hole in the center of everything" espoused by the Cat is the creeping sense of existential doom experienced by anyone paying attention and by younger people in particular, and it is also a big old hole in the ground that horrible old people throw children into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

The hole in the ground is capitalism.

the black goat is capitalism, the cultists sacrifice the young to it in a desperate attempt to stave off the "hole" growing in the center of their own lives

NitW's a straight critique of capitalist thinking but it ties all that into a larger sense of impending existential and societal collapse

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zerilan posted:

She cares about the town and town's traditions more than most of the characters. She loves Harfest and is bothered that someone messed up the mural. She's troubled by the town's changes during the short time she was away because she needs that sense of familiarity. The idea of "saving the town" would appeal to her more than to her peers, and she's someone who was literally called "killer" by people after a violent act.

yeah, mae is susceptible to the black goat's whispering because she wants to put the world on pause so her own directionless life doesn't feel so terrifying and empty, but she gets over it to the point where when the black goat makes personal contact with her its temptation is just meaningless noise

this also has the implication that the cultists are mentally less mature than a disassociative college-dropout womanchild who thinks vampires are defeated by burying them upside down so that they accidentally dig into the center of the earth

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Yup. Trying to think of the murder death cult as if it is a real entity is just going to lead to brain spiders, because the game is literally just an allegory for the death of the rust belt. The hole/goat god is capitalism, the murder death cult are baby boomers.

understanding that things can exist in both real and allegorical capacities is like one of the basic tenets of literary analysis

the cult is real, the hole is real (though whether it's literally bottomless is in doubt), the black goat and sky cat might be real

they're also baby boomers, existential dread, capitalism, and the apathy of higher spiritual forces

fantastical intrusions upon commonly accepted reality is an entire thriving subgenre of writing, and NitW and LiS (and Kentucky Route Zero, which is basically NitW's morose Southern cousin) all fall solidly into it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh, I agree. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that you shouldn't think of these things are entities that the cast need to deal with in the future, as in the context of the work and story they presented it does not matter. More so than many games, the story in NitW wraps up really neatly in a bow. Nothing they do once the camera cuts out matters. The hole will grow bigger, the town will die, they will all leave possum springs, people will replace the death cult.

It reminds me a lot of the ending of The Last of Us, in a way, which I similarly thought people overthought.

Elly asking Joel if he was telling the truth, and then him lying to her. She accepts and cuts to black. People debate if she believes him or not, or if she knows he is lying. The point is not to show whether or not elly believes him or not, it's explicitly to show that she has doubt, and also emphasize how Joel has taken her agency from her. What comes later does not matter at all, which is one of the reasons why the fact that they are making a equal feels so awkward.

me @ everything in that spoiler:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I think what gets me is that I kinda expect things to either be straight up commentary or allegorical. Like, you could have a fantasy story with dragons and goblins where everything is a metaphor and it's like "yeah the dragon represents capitalism" or you could have a story with real people dealing with real socioeconomic issues

but Night in the Woods mixes both and that feels a bit weird

one of the main points of fiction is erasing the boundary between the two

i could give you some recs if you want

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

If they do a KS to replace the music, they have my money, without question, at a high tier.

pretty sure that ship's long sailed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Somfin posted:

Gamergate in the Trump era. Jesus.

Get your networks up and keep 'em strong, folks.

people are saying this as if the first round of gamergate ever ended. it just metastasized to the rest of society is all, and now it's going to be the same but worse

in all ways, the future is worse than today forever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i remember that shitshow when it first kicked off. the woman in question had a known history of harassing others and none of her allegations of death threats etc were ever verified, which is largely why the issue was dropped

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

In case anyone missed it the first time this went around this would make for a great young-adult show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r-gwpATLp4

lol it's already got the gators crawling through the comments

nitw probably could translate fairly well to TV if you kept it in the format of short sketchy episodes until the last-act stuff started popping off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gregg's stuff is good but bea's entire arc is a much better fit for what the game is about

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
best/worst thing about that post for me was benson's bitter speculation that holowka hadn't actually "gotten better" and had instead just moved on from him so that he could begin poisoning someone else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

like an idiot, i keep looking at comment threads on twitter or whatever and it's honestly just the worst part of all of this. people are trash.

there was someone in qcs yesterday blowing his stack because threads were once again speaking aloud the name of the perfidious quinn

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i didn't download nitw's soundtrack or anything but those songs are pretty much essential to its tone and scene-setting

holowka's influence is inextricably wound up in the game's dna. just pretend you can hear his wailing ghost whenever you boot it up or something

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

There is a small number of people trying to spread the conspiracy theory that Alec is still alive on social media, for reasons I cannot begin to fathom.

my suspicion is that certain people were expecting this to be the flashpoint of the next big culture war, but benson's post kind of let the air out of the balloon - it would explain why so many were pissed that he spoke up about it as quickly as he did (i saw like two dozen people say "before he's even in the ground" verbatim)

now they're just flailing and trying to keep holowka in the public consciousness in hopes of sparking something off again

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Kazy posted:

Back on actual topic, I've only played through one time, does Mae ever tell her parents the truth about why she dropped out?

no, but she's preparing herself to tell them over dinner the same day the game ends

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
most of the bass sections are pretty basic if you have any experience with rhythm games, except for Pumpkin Headed Guy, which will tie up your fingers like earbud cords

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i am not going to preview a single second of this

considering that nitw was one of the forerunners of this generation's anti-capitalist indie games i'm interested in seeing how benson's kept up with the zeitgeist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
great. can’t go wrong with normal arteries