Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Apparently this game came out and there's no thread for it from what I can tell so this here is the Night in the Woods thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u17kM8oSz3k

There's a trailer for it.

The game is about Mae. A cat who is a girl (or a lady, depending on who you ask in the town of Possum Springs). You get home from college, when you get back, everyone wonders why you're back!? Oh no! How perplexing.

Anywhere, there's a mystery! You gently caress around with friends like how most late-teens-to-twenty-somethings do! There's pretzels to steal! You can buy it for PS4 or Steam!

It's a very narrative heavy game and there's some platforming.

Is it good?! Maybe! If you like the plot then you'll probably like it. Maybe it'll scratch that Kentucky Route Itch. Or maybe it'll fill that hole that Twin Peaks isn't going to until that restarts or whatever.

It's a game set in fall and maybe you'll cry or maybe you'll be spooked. Someone talk about the plot with me! Or ask questions about it. Who cares. There's an OP now (unless my searches which turned up nothing lied to me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ishikabibble posted:

What did you think of the ending?

It was okay! It felt a little incomplete. Like Mae was supposed to talk with her parents at the end of the game and that was supposed to be it since that was a long-standing plot thread and she promised that in the morning! I was upset. I was like, wanting to tell Mae's mom what happened the entire game and I didn't get to. That and one last jam sesh...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

the black husserl posted:

puzzles, inventory, dialogue choices and exploration?

no, no, yes, yes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Alder posted:

I like the writing but I can't find the last lantern in the train/roof top sequence? Also I've looked for text walkthroughs but all I can find are LPs.

if you're talking about any dream sequence you can figure out where to go next by a glowing light at the edge of the screen

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Oxxidation posted:

This doesn't seem to be catching fire with those communities the way games like Life is Strange and Undertale did. Not sure why, maybe it's because it kind of snuck out without much fanfare.

there's less novelty to it, i think it's gonna be a slow burn of a game that slowly gets recommended into further popularity though. it's probably the best story-driven indie game since undertale imo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
undertale had a huge cult fanbase from a dumb webcomic and anyone who liked earthbound ready to spread the gospel, fwiw

i think this game will slowly garner steam. its getting like 9s across the board.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Oxxidation posted:

Okay I see your point but consider: Gregg.

crimes

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
ng+ would probably just skip the first couple of days where you cant do poo poo

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

bewilderment posted:

Now I'm wondering if I missed an entire building in town because I don't remember any person on a stage and the only building interiors in the town I remember are the apartments, the parade float storage, and the shops.
(and also one extra during the epilogue)

its a place you have to go out of your way to find

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Alder posted:

I would play again if it had NG+ and skipped the intro and dreams.

ya this would be dope.

i hope that they'll have the money and existing assets to make a proper sequel in a year and a half or so, if they go that route. can't imagine it'll take that long since they got the engine and tons of art to work with already.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
so is die anywhere else supposed to be a joy division cover or what

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
midwestern lamezone

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Axelgear posted:

So, I saw some achievements on a friend's account that make me wonder if there's NG+ content (they were about the season changing), or if the game's achievement system is simply horribly bugged.

bugged i think

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
night in the woods is a great game bc the main character's sexuality is told to you via fake spyware popups

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i don't think molly is part of the cult, rather she did the exact same thing mae did at some point while being a police officer and actually agreed with what the cult did and left them alone instead.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
isnt mae supposed to be chubby and short

that arts cool tho for real

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Yeah this game hit me so hard I'm actually creeped out a little.
I grew up in a small blue collar town as a dirt poor kid and in my early twenties developed dissociation. Like. Goddamn! Do I know these developers, or something?! Haha.

its more common an experience than you think

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

precision posted:

Mae is bisexual, right? I know she likes "cute boys" but I could have sworn she also mentions being attracted to women at least once, early on?

her laptop is filled with popups of hunky dudes and cute ladies

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Opposing Farce posted:

I don't think either of these are reprises of Die Anywhere Else (appropriate as that would be), but they do both heavily feature bits of the "Bea!" leitmotif. Though the more I listen to it, the more I think that theme might itself be derived from Die Anywhere Else? At this point I'm not sure if there's a connection there or if I'm just finding patterns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuuObGsB0No

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

precision posted:

I want one of Lori M. to give my wife :3:

lori is cool

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I notice a lot of reviews have difficulty with the concept of a game forcing a player character to commit unpleasant actions without implicitly condoning those actions. So, so many games are player avatar power fantasies that I guess it's just become expected. I interpreted it as how sometimes mental illness just makes you do lovely stuff in front of your eyes even if inwardly you know it's bad, which at least in my experience it really does.

the murdering of those with families trying to make a decent living via the only methods they are capable in a cruel society in the game Axelust Murderking is just compared to the atrocity that is messing up someone's pots and pans in the evil simulator known only as Night in the Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

This one deserves a lot more views, I feel like it nails what the "original" song would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjrMazXdQm4

Kinda wanna do a bad cover of Die Anywhere Else now, I spent a good 30min figuring out the bassline anyways.

if it doesnt sound like joy division its not canon