Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Yeah, this game is excellent and deserves a lot more exposure than it's getting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Finished up the game this morning and loved every second of it. The ending does wrap up a little soon, but I did appreciate that they didn't just answer all of the questions.

The stuff with the cult reminded me a lot of Hot Fuzz's big reveal. I think it comes from a very similar place of adults loving things up and killing people to try to hang onto some rapidly dwindling prosperity.

I feel that this was supposed to be a supernatural thing, and I agree that it was way better that they didn't have a Poirot type explanation for why it was caused by mine gasses or something.

That being said I do hope that Scott puts out a lore/making of book at some point (along with the soundtrack!)

For those of you who did the pastor's story Did you guys also get the vibe that the homeless dude was definitely telling Mae a lie about why he was leaving to make her not be sad? When he was talking about never drinking again and seeing his kids again I really felt like this guy was not actually going to do any of that...it seemed way to happy of an ending for this world.
I got the vibe that his kids were already dead and he killed himself by jumping off that ominous cliff to the right. So in a sense, he was telling the truth. The pastor knew about his kids and inferred what he'd done. But maybe that's just me being morbid.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Just skimmed through the thread and I'm not sure that I've seen a combination of words make me more irrationally angry than that quote.
Honestly that seems like pretty rational anger to me.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Old Boot posted:

I'm gonna be real, I have a mood disorder that has lead to rage attacks. I am no stranger to apologizing and recognizing that some people may want nothing to do with me/keep my distance now that I've figured my poo poo out. I am not proud of any of it, but I was never so far gone that I raised a hand to someone, or loving raped them.

Seriously, if I woke up one morning and realized I'd repeatedly raped someone (saying nothing of several someones) and treated them that loving horrendously, I'd have killed myself long before it even came close to seeing the light of day. Because how in the gently caress do you ever let it come to that without seriously re-evaluating your worth as a person. How.

Maybe I'll eat a probe for having zero sympathy, but I don't. Mental illness is no excuse for the poo poo he did, and I already hate what this is going to turn into. I legit hate that he didn't have the fortitude to eat the loving shame and live with it. His victims sure as gently caress do, and now they have to deal with even more of it.

Bottom line, I feel real loving bad for Zoe Quinn. Like beyond bad.
Speaking as someone taking anti-depressants: amen to every last word of that.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

bad day posted:

What did she accuse him of exactly? I read the post and she talks about being raped but not by him. By someone else, who she has forgiven, and she calls this guy out for mostly being mean and a very bad boyfriend. It’s all vaguely worded to constitute “abuse” but no specifics that could be interpreted as rape other than the “leading me around the house” comment.

So what’s the justification for throwing this guy under the bus like he’s Bill Cosby? I’m not defending anyone I just don’t get why this was such a huge deal. People in relationships are awful to each other; that’s why they break up.
If you read that tweet and you think it's "mean" and "very bad boyfriend" rather than "abusive rapey shithead", then you really need to recalibrate your views. Like, did you miss the part where she couldn't leave because he was ostensibly paying her fare back?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

Okay good because I've already seen some people saying it's a good thing he is dead and that everything is better now that he killed himself and I've seen it from enough people that I started thinking that somehow I was in the wrong here for not cheering on a suicide
I think there are a lot of people here who don't assign his life any value, because over the last few years we've had the ideas that all life is precious and no-one is beyond redemption seared out of us. (And if you've still got those beliefs, that certainly doesn't make you a bad person.) But I don't think anyone is happy that he killed himself specifically, since it robs his victims of closure and causes a massive shitstorm centered on a whole bunch of people who don't deserve it.

Speaking of which, I think those of us who backed the game should leave supportive comments on the Kickstarter update - Scott and Bethany were already feeling awful, so I can't imagine what it's going to be like for them now.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I care a lot about the plight of the rural Democratic voter, and even the plight of the rural non-voter. It’s the rural Trump voters who can go gently caress themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Scott and Bethany posted:

What you experience when you experience art is yours. Nothing can take that away. It's not owned by us. You may not care about any of this, and that's fine. This may have ruined the whole thing for you. You may be able to separate out the elements that other people worked on and still feel a connection to those. Whatever it is, that's valid.