Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

So... what is this exactly? DLC? A new version of the game? It has all the weird bonus games that came with the kickstarter stuff I assume, but if I have the base game do I have to buy it again to get this "expansion?"

Dissapointed in how unclear this is.

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/925026838199656451

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm going to be torn between digging into the free update or waiting for the inevitable Switch release

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

Though speaking of which, didn't they also make some shorter games in the same universe a little while before Night in the Woods came out? And if so, were they any good?

Yes and yes, and from the looks of the trailer they'll be included in Weird Autumn.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Playing through Weird Autumn edition now. So far there's a couple new characters, and you can play the bass in Mae's room. Still early on, though.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Proximity is still massively uncomfortable to play through it turns out!!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I got guilt tripped by Angus for not playing Demontower :mad:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Larryb posted:

Also, has anyone noticed any major alterations to the game other than what's already been mentioned in this thread?

Here's what I noticed in my playthrough (Bea route, did everything I could in town):

- Germ's last friendship scene is added on the last day before poo poo hits the fan
- There's an extended sequence with a new NPC in the underground tunnels
- There are new one-off NPCs strewn about the town throughout the game that you can talk to
- One of them is Gregg's cousin
- Lots of additional/re-worked dialogue
- Molly and the Chamber of Commerce appear in the epilogue
- An additional room in the church that your mom lets you into eventually, has a scene
- The tiny apartment in the Mallard tomb that could be accessed in some pre-release demos is accessible again at a certain point
- You can play Mae's bass in her room, some new songs are playable there

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The party scene is my favorite part of the game and I actively loathe having to play through it, which is why it's so goddamn effective.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

kurona_bright posted:

I mean yeah Bea's route is def grim at points but it's still funny. The stuff with Clanky made me laugh, especially when Mae was like welp time to whack things to death

Also has one of the better tracks in the game imo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXc2d2_TULU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The library happens with Bea regardless of everything else you do in the game, I believe the only difference with the poetry club is whether or not Selmers shows based on you listening to her poems.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the implication is that Longest Night "takes place" while Mae is at college.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Commissar Ken posted:

So if I do poo poo like hang out with this fella in his sewer salvage thing or hang out with Mae's mom on her adventure it doesn't advance the day and I can still do some Bea/Gregg stuff later? I just really don't wanna miss main character story beats so i've been skittish about other poo poo that sounds like it advances the plot past the point of no return.

Bea and Gregg hangouts are the only ones that advance the day

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I don't get it, the third panel is the actual game though??

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That animation serves as a great reminder of how sick the NITW trailer music is

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think by nature of how the dialogue works in the game and how much it digs into how this generation is used to text-based conversations, a fully voiced NITW would lose something in the process.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think wounds is actually a little weak tbh

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wow they announced an anime adaption, check it out:

https://twitter.com/rockosedits/status/1052785615958355969

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I recall enjoying slowbeef's run

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Candy's definitely is, and I'm pretty sure Stan's is as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

well this sucks

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

cruelly, i've had my favorite tracks stuck in my head since this news broke

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

whoof

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

do not make the same stupid mistake i did of wandering into the comments on other social platforms

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I'm just already trying to steele myself for the gross martyrdom that shitheads are going to turn this into

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

repiv posted:

Looks like Scott Benson noped out of Twitter

https://twitter.com/bombsfall

He made a tweet shortly before this that he's deactivating his account for a while.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Well this has been some seriously crazy times. Has any other game had this level of drama behind it?

The "drama" in this case has basically nothing to do with the game itself and the events seem to have all taken place years before development even started.

Tons of games have been actual shitshows behind the scenes far beyond this scope, but this isn't really a comparable case. People are going to have very complicated feelings about this game, and rightfully so, but it's more to do with the composer and programmer being outed as an abuser than anything that actually to do with the development of the game.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, the only involvement Alec had with the game was the music. Still sucks though as there were a lot of really good tracks on there.

He coded the dang thing

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bad day posted:

What did she accuse him of exactly? I read the post and she talks about being raped but not by him. By someone else, who she has forgiven, and she calls this guy out for mostly being mean and a very bad boyfriend. It’s all vaguely worded to constitute “abuse” but no specifics that could be interpreted as rape other than the “leading me around the house” comment.

So what’s the justification for throwing this guy under the bus like he’s Bill Cosby? I’m not defending anyone I just don’t get why this was such a huge deal. People in relationships are awful to each other; that’s why they break up.

I wasn't aware that being mentally and physically abusive was a-ok up until the rape line was crossed, guess you learn something new every day

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

More than anything else I just feel awful for Scott and Bethany, as well as Zoe Quinn (who's been through enough poo poo in her life at this point that's all getting stirred up again). Like yeah it sucks that a game I love is tainted in some weird way but the real human impact on people who's work I really enjoy is the worst cost of all this.

I also can't for the life of me comprehend the cognitive dissonance it must take to enjoy NITW and its message and still become a lovely gamergate moron over the situation.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

bad day posted:

And this constitutes imprisonment? I don’t doubt from her own perception she was trapped in his house and unable to leave but nobody seems to have actually imprisoned her. And she doesn’t say she was imprisoned. Nothing she talks about in the tweet seems to be a valid criminal complaint. Saying cruel things to someone might constitute “mental abuse” in 2019 but it’s not illegal. Fingering your girlfriend is assault if she says no, but she just kind of throws that out there as an aside with no explanation.

I understand the post is cleverly written in such a way that people will imagine the worst without technically stating what happened. So people are going to assume the worst. But publicly litigating non-crimes from your interpersonal relationships on Twitter is a bad thing to do, if only because the person you are encouraging total strangers to send death threats to might actually kill themselves.

jesus christ

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

me, extremely intelligent: ah, but you see, there's nothing in the rule book that says this is bad, therefore

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Endorph posted:

I understand she's dealing with a lot right now but cripes his sister could just say 'the allegations are correct' instead of 'he ~caused harm~'. the wording of this statements just feels like shes doing apologia for his actions. which, i get why, obviously, but jeez.

I imagine she doesn't really have the means to confirm allegations one way or the other.

Endorph posted:

hot take but if you are literally forcing a woman to have sex with you via blackmailing them with money that they need to go home then that's rape. you might not physically force them to have sex with you, but that's still rape. being a bad boyfriend would be losing the money or spending it all on weed or something. being a rapist is intentionally withholding the money in order to have sexual and physical control over them.

also, you know, the part where he forcibly sexually violated her. he didnt whip out his dick but if that's your qualification to be a rapist then what do you think happens in cases of one woman assaulting another.

sorry pal but if you look at my official rape score card you'll see that this was all above board

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i'm glad we can all come together in times like these to recognize some fantastically bad Posting

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i really can't imagine the hell it must be to be a lightning rod for the worst of humanity

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i agree with scott in the kickstarter post when i say, we all need a loving nap

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

is there anything left to actually say at this point or can we just put this thread out of its misery

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

The best scene in the game, and by far the hardest to actually sit through, is Mae thoroughly sinking Bea's game at the college

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

like an idiot, i keep looking at comment threads on twitter or whatever and it's honestly just the worst part of all of this. people are trash.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There was that one part where Scott mentioned that Alex disappeared for an entire year during game development. leaving everything up to Scott and Bethany to do. For the most part Alec was pretty much not involved and enough of a worthless rear end in a top hat that I wouldnt have even wanted him in the credits.

calling the guy who literally programmed the game and did all the music "not involved" is pretty disingenuous, i get wanting to downplay his involvement in the what makes nitw what it is but you can't just brush him off as a minor contributor or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/bombsfall/status/1230720991103352832