Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Late to the party but I just finished this game recently with the Gregg ending and was pleasantly surprised to find this weird mix of 2D platforming and Telltale-style choice-based gameplay featuring a cast of anthropomorphic animals would wind up being up there with stuff like Undertale and Life is Strange (the dialogue is almost as goofy as the latter at times too, not that that's a bad thing in my opinion). In fact, at times it manages to hit even harder than those games did (particularly the scene towards the end where Mae is describing her depression).

Not too familiar with the behind the scenes aspects though, what kind of stuff wound up getting cut from the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SmockJoc posted:

The whole Bea side of the game really spoke to me. "Finding Bea" was a wonderful, emphatic scene and was the moment I truly loved this game.

True, the majority of the game's emotional moments seem to be on Bea's side of the story but to it's credit Gregg's side does at least have "Shapes" (or whatever the scene of them on the couch is actually called) which is a great scene in and of itself and really explains a lot about Mae and her situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

You can get that with either one. It depends on who you spent more time with.

Ah, that makes more sense seeing as that scene is kind of crucial to Mae's character arc after all. Still one of my favorite parts of the game though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 31, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Wow, that basically has to be a troll right?

Ironically that's probably what Mae would do in the miniseries adaptation of NITW.

I could actually see a series or at least an animated film based on this working pretty well. I wouldn't mind a sequel one day either (though isn't this technically the 3rd installment as there were two short little side things released a few years prior?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Great news! Maybe one day we could get a Switch port for Life is Strange and/or Before the Storm as well (or would those games be too big for the system to handle?) Undertale would be nice too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Delsaber posted:

The original LiS had versions on the PS3 and 360 so I'd like to think the Switch could handle it just fine. Before the Storm swapped engines and (I think) added some new graphics features so it could be a bit more challenging but maybe not by much.

That's what I figured, and unless Square has some kind of exclusive contract with Sony and Microsoft I don't really see any reason for them not to eventually bring the LiS experience over to Nintendo consoles.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Didnt Undertale already come out for switch? Or was that a different nintendo console?

At the moment Undertale is only available on PC/Mac/Linux, PS4, and Vita. There were talks about porting it to the Wii U at one point but nothing ever came of it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 2, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Yeah I wasn't a backer to be able to see that but as far as Mae being a good person, she strikes me as someone who wants to be a good person but has a hard enough time just being a functioning person at all a lot of the time so hard to focus on being good or not.

Yeah, Mae is already kind of broken by the time the game starts and things get worse from there. Her home life is a bit shaky once you look under the surface and of course the fact that her disassociation once got so bad that she nearly killed someone.

That doesn't make her a bad person at heart though, just that she has too much on her plate already to deal with stuff like that. Being with Mae over the course of the game does help Bea sort through her own issues though so she does at least do some good in the long run.

But the game does end on a slightly hopeful note at least (that while she might never be 100% ok, Mae still has a chance of getting better as long as she has friends she can lean on).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 6, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It would be totally antithetical to the message of NITW to condemn any of the characters as "bad" people, the entire game is about finding empathy within an uncaring and largely indifferent existence. The story warns us against either extreme of seeing some higher purpose in everything (the cultists) versus seeing people as "just shapes" (Mae's derealization). Good or bad has nothing to do with it.

Yeah, there aren't really any particular heroes or villains in this game, though the cultists probably come the closest to the latter since, you know, they've been killing people and all even if there was a (warped though it may be) reason for it.

Then again, Mae did almost kill that kid she attacked a few years prior as well, but in her case she was in such a bad place at the time that she just completely lost sight of reality for a moment so it's hard to say whether it was completely intentional on her part or not.

It's ultimately just a story about some damaged people trying to find empathy and meaning in their lives. While the Gregg side of things might be a bit less story heavy it does serve a purpose for getting Mae to just unwind and have fun for once in her life, which probably helps a lot given her situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's capitalism, the villain is capitalism.

It's literally capitalism.

No physical villains unless you want to count the cultists then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Don't remember if this was posted earlier but here's a short trailer for the Weird Autumn edition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbSFjcJ1K1I

Seems it'll be out on Dec 13th for PC and "all major consoles" (which I guess confirms the Switch port that was hinted a while back). Not sure how much in the way of new content there will be but what little is shown in the trailer looks interesting at any rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

They have literally all but announced that the game is coming to swtich already. I forget where I read it, but Scott Benson has been like "Its coming to other consoles, you know the one I'm talking about. We just can't legally say it yet"

Works for me (it would be nice if other games in the same vein like Life is Strange and Undertale eventually got Switch ports as well). Speaking of which, is there a reason why the former series has so far only been exclusive to PC, Playstation, and Xbox consoles (though to be fair LiS might have been too big for something like the Wii U to handle)?

A sequel at some point would be nice as well though I'm not really sure where they could take the story from here (the cult is gone and Mae has at least started down the road to recovery). I am kind of curious how much in the way of new content there is in this version (some of the stuff shown in the trailer looks neat though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

eatenmyeyes posted:

The story stands on its own. It had a message and delivered it beautifully. Another story from the same team would be welcome if it measured up to NitW, but that seems like a lot to ask.

It's not implausible that the mine had another exit.

Even if it isn't a NitW sequel it would still be nice to see another game by the same team one day. Though if they do decide to make this a series I hope it remains 2D and retains the same art style and writing quality. Only real changes I can think of to make are maybe have more than two possible story paths (it might have been nice to hang out with Germ or Lori for example) and maybe include voice acting as long as it was competently done (though I could take it or leave it on that point).

Though speaking of which, didn't they also make some shorter games in the same universe a little while before Night in the Woods came out? And if so, were they any good?

Hell, you could probably make an animated (or live action for that matter, seeing as you could replace the entire cast with humans and it wouldn't really change all that much in the long run aside from maybe the bit about Mae's eyes) mini-series or film out of this game's plot if you wanted. Though then again, if they'd gone with a human cast the game might have lost some of its visual appeal.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 22, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

eatenmyeyes posted:

I feel either of these changes would be a detriment to the game's emotional impact. Even with good voice acting/casting, the universality of the characters would be diminished.

I just realized this is the second time in a row I've naysaid parts of your posts. I assure you it is nothing personal.

No worries, those points aren't really that important anyway. Besides, while you could have basically told the exact same story with a human cast (without really having to change all that much else to be honest) they're more visually interesting as animals.

I still maintain that we could have used a few more story paths to flesh out some of the other characters though (plus it would have been interesting to see how people like Germ and the like would have reacted to Mae's confession towards the end).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Roobanguy posted:

i already imagine that all the characters are humans, what with the actual animals running around and that mae just sees them as animals because of her dissociation.

That's not a bad theory actually. The fact that they're animals is never really brought up and it would explain why actual cats/dogs/birds/etc. exist in the same world as anthropomorphic talking ones (either that or it could just be a Goofy/Pluto kind of situation).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 23, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

We are a day away from the big update, people. Excited to hang out in Possum springs some more

Any confirmation that the Switch version will be out at the same time the update drops for the other versions? The trailer from a while back did say "for all major consoles" but I haven't seen anything concrete yet.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

No, the switch version is certainly months away.

Too bad, I was hoping it'd be dropping on everything at once. Speaking of which, anybody get a chance to try it out yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So how are the prequel games handled? Are they their own separate thing or have they been grafted onto the main story somehow?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its probably less of a "people are confused" thing and more of an access thing. The game is about the narrative and they literally dont want anyone getting frustrated by the platforming stuff at all.

Also remember that this game is coming to iOS so yeah, they want to make it as simple as possible.

Any official word yet from the developers as to when the other versions might be coming out? Also, has anyone noticed any major alterations to the game other than what's already been mentioned in this thread?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Any word yet regarding the portable release (that is, Switch/IOS)? The initial announcement and trailer made it sound like it was coming out for everything at once but obviously this wasn't the case.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is the Weird Autumn edition not available for other systems yet? I own the PS4 version but can't find anything about it on PSN.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nevermind, seem to have found it. How do you unlock the Extras menu though? Do you have to beat the game first?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 29, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I just wrapped up my first playthrough on PC this week and the Extras options was available in the main menu from the start. No need to beat the game.

Huh, that's weird because I have the PS4 version and it's not there yet (and I'm pretty sure I've got the Weird Autumn edition since I can play the bass in Mae's room).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

I believe the extras for the PS4 version are coming in January, wanna say I saw that somewhere?

edit: https://twitter.com/NightInTheWoods/status/941011494065631232

That would explain it, thanks. Not sure why they'd delay that part though since they explicitly said the new edition was coming out on the 13th for "all major consoles".

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 29, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished a full Bea playthrough (plus one night with Angus) and I liked a lot of the new editons Weird Autumn provided (such as the options to hang out with Germ, Mae's mom, and a new character as well).

Speaking of which, question about Miss Rosa (the dog lady who hangs out at the pretzel stand occasionally and knew Mae's grandfather), did that final conversation with her during the epilogue mean to imply that she might be Mae's grandmother?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

That’s what I took from it too, yeah

I like little touches like that, while they're easy to miss if you're not taking the time to explore but they help expand upon the overall story/world a bit more if you do (the subplot with Bruce and Pastor K is another example of this). I really hope these guys make another game in the future even if it's not a sequel to this.

Also, while I agree that Proximity is one of the best scenes in the game I'd personally say that the dinner at Bea's house, the hangout with Angus at the park, and Mae's confession towards the end (as well as all the buildup to it) are probably up there as well.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 30, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So any word yet as to when this month the rest of the new content (ie: the Extras menu and the previous two side games) will be made available for the PS4 version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

So what actually got added in the directors cut? I got the game in the sale just before the winter one and then heard stuff was getting added so figured I may as well wait to play it. I assumed the lady next to the snack stand in the underground was new and the junk finding boat guy as well, they just felt like the sorts of things that'd get added back in to me. Just curious what they added really.

I missed a bunch of stuff I think so definitely going to go through it again sometime, I didn't hang out with Bea at all, apparently there's some very good scene with the mom that I also missed despite talking to her every day that I could I'm pretty sure.

Play the Bea route, it's where the majority of the game's plot takes place and has some nice character development for Mae (it's also generally a lot more emotionally satisfying).

Weird Autumn gives you the ability to play the bass in Mae's room (you can play any of the main songs in the game after you do them in the story plus one bonus song). Several new NPCs (for example, there's a dog lady that shows up occasionally at the pretzel stand that I would highly recommend talking to whenever you have the chance, you'll see why at the end). There's also a few new Gregg hangouts as well as the chance to hang out with other characters such as Candy(Mae's mom), Germ, and a new character that for some reason only shows up once (the first two hangouts might have been available in the original as well but I forget). It also comes with an extras menu containing some unlockable artwork plus the two side games the team made prior to NitW (Longest Night and Lost Constellation).

It's still the same basic game overall but I'd say the new additions are more than enough to be worthy of a second playthrough.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I don't think it's ever made explicit that the cultists were anyone we met before (aside from one of them referring to Mae by name once).

Starting a full Gregg run now and I've noticed that his scenarios are much more gameplay focused while Bea's involve more story and character development. Gregg's story does have its moments though (like when he announces he and Angus are moving soon and his little breakdown in the woods where he wonders if he's a good person). I still prefer the Bea route but they're both worth playing (also be sure to hang out with Angus when given the chance and talk to Miss Rosa at the pretzel stand).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Haledjian posted:

The worst thing about doing all Gregg's hangouts is reading Bea's IMs every night about how she's at home watching TV by herself. :smith:

Yeah, I got the sense that Mae and Bea genuinely need each other (they're both broken in some ways and kind of help fill the void in both their lives, their relationship growing stronger as the game goes on). With Gregg, his relationship with Mae was never damaged to begin with and as such it seems like he'd be ok regardless (besides, Angus needs him way more than Mae does). Bea on the other hand, has nothing. Her relationship with her dad is rocky at best, her mom's gone, she has to go miles out of her way just to socialize with people outside her small group of friends and you get the sense that that and work is all that's really keeping her sane.

Speaking of Angus, I kind of wish there were more chances to hang with him as the scene where he tells Mae about his past is just brutal (in my opinion it's honestly up there with Proximity and Shapes as far as powerful moments go).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 15, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

If anything Mae and Gregg aren't very good for each other anymore. They're two stunted adult children who keep one another from growing up by perpetually falling back into old bad habits(CRIMES!). Gregg got a job and started saving up not just because he loved Angus, but because Mae wasn't there anymore to help feed his destructive behavior.

Mae and Bea compliment one another well. Mae needs a sobering element in her life just as much as Bea needs someone to pull her from the depressive pot hole that her life has become.

Related to that, look at Angus. His life was a literal hell before Gregg showed up (I think it's implied that Bea was his only other real friend at the time). Like with Mae and Bea, they both help ground each other and give their lives meaning.

As you said, Mae and Gregg hanging out with each other only really hurts their development, dragging them back down into their childish ways (I think the game even says as much towards the end of the Gregg run). Which is why I consider the Bea path to be the canon route through the game, it just makes more sense from a narrative standpoint.

Overall (apart from the DDR segments and a few mini games on the Gregg route) Night in the Woods is an excellent game and I wouldn't mind seeing another project from the same developers. Speaking of which, have they specified yet when this month Longest Night and Lost Constellation will be made available for the PS4 version?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 16, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have they said anything yet about when the rest of the Weird Autumn content (the Extras menu and the two previous side games) will be made available for the PS4 version yet? I know they said this month but I don't recall them specifying an exact date last I checked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

After completing both routes I need more of this game. Any word from the developers as to when this month Longest Night and Lost Constellation are coming to the PS4 version?

Also, out of curiousity has anyone tried just alternating between Bea and Gregg each day? If so, who takes center stage during the last portion of the game then (in other words, does one of them have more "missions" than the other)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Even if you hang out with Bea more often I’d still recommend Wounds on the third day since that’s his best segment imho.

Wounds and Legends are probably the best parts of a Gregg run. I'd also recommend doing the Angus hang out and seeing Lori and Germ as much as possible regardless of what route you choose as it makes the ending a bit more impactful imo. Mr. Chazokov and Miss Rosa (the dog lady at the pretzel stand that was added into the Weird Autumn edition) are worth talking to whenever you have the chance as well. Speaking of the former, I don't remember for sure but I think they made the dusk stars a little easier to find in this version.

While Mae's story is more or less complete it could be possible for them to do a sequel set in the same universe only with a different protagonist. It would be nice to see these developers try their hand at another game regardless of whether it's NitW related or not though. Hell, this game would probably make a decent animated series/movie if they wanted to.

Desperate Character posted:

on reddit there is a stickied thread that says those will be released February 1st for the ps4 and the switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfp3w8SxFE

Good to know, thanks!

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jan 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Night in the Woods is now officially out for the Switch, the remaining Weird Autumn content is available for the PS4 version as well.

Played a but of the two supplemental games as I'd never experienced them before. Longest Night was basically just an extended version the constellation drawing mini-game from the Angus hangout but, aside from being a bit more linear, Lost Constellation is almost a full-fledged prequel game. Both games are also directly referenced in NitW proper.

Related to that, I seem to still be missing a few pieces of concept art. I've done the full Bea route, the full Gregg route, did the hangouts with Candy (Mae's mom), Germ, Lori, Angus and that scavenger guy, brought the two musicians together, finished the Bruce subplot and talked with Miss Rosa. What's left besides feeding the rats and beating Demontower?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 1, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Is there anything gained from doing all 3 with one person? I'm playing for the first time and planning on alternating, and then doing the opposite for each day on another playthrough. Am I better off doing two runs entirely with one person each or does it not really make a difference.

It just gives you more insight into Bea/Gregg's character and changes the last part of the game slightly. I think eventually you're going to have to wind up hanging out with one a bit more than the other (though I've never tried just alternating between the two each day). There are also a few optional hangouts with other characters but they don't count towards the completion of that specific day (except for one with Angus a little later on). Proximity, Wounds, and the aforementioned Angus hangout are all worth seeing though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bea just felt like the more natural route through the game as it was a bit more personal in nature (though on the Gregg route Wounds and Legends are pretty decent too).

Plus, the fact of the matter is that Bea and Angus clearly need Mae and Gregg respectively way more than Mae and Gregg need each other. I would also recommend doing some of the optional hangouts as well, particularly Lori, Germ and Angus.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

Do you see the poetry club in both paths? Because holy poo poo if not then everyone should go Bea

And yeah I haven't hung with Angus, but Lori and Germ are both great. You've gotta poke around the town a bit to find them (not sure if they're there right away) but definitely talk to them every day.

Poetry Club is Bea only. The Angus hangout happens late in the game when you're hunting for clues about the Ghost and is the only non-Gregg/Bea hangout that actually counts towards plot advancement (and you can only do two of them before you get locked into the endgame so I'd recommend Bea and Angus).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Feb 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thebardyspoon posted:

Wait, I saw the poetry club (in the library where Selmers does the really good anti capitalist poem right?) but I'm pretty sure I hung out with Gregg every chance I got. I don't remember having any choice about going to the library with Bea, so I think it's part of the main story as like, the initial research into the ghost poo poo. Then you get to pick two of the three to investigate specific stuff with, historical society with Gregg, old mountains with Angus and graveyard with Bea.

I've done a full Gregg route and I'm pretty sure you can only go to the library with Bea (though that particular trip might be mandatory regardless of your path, I forget). I know Selmers will only be there if you've been talking to her regularly at least.

I kinda wish they'd done more with Lori and Germ to be honest, it might have been interesting to see their reactions to Mae's confession towards the end.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've never tried this but if you split your time between the two of them (that is, hang with Bea one day, Gregg the next then repeat for the rest of the game) which ending does the game wind up defaulting to (I assume whichever one came first in the rotation)?