Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

repiv posted:

It goes with the character you spent more time with. There's 3 hangout choices in the game so you can't split them evenly.

That's about what I figured. I'd also recommend checking out the two supplemental games included with the Weird Autumn edition. Longest Night is basically just a short connect the dots style minigame with commentary from Mae and the crew but Lost Constellation is almost a full-fledged game in and of itself. Both are directly referenced in NitW.

As far as I can tell, chronologically it seems to go like this:

Lost Constellation (it's framed as a story Mae's grandfather told her as a kitten)

Longest Night (at the end it's revealed to be a dream Mae had presumably right before she left college)

Night in the Woods

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the implication is that Longest Night "takes place" while Mae is at college.

Ah, she mentions something about calling home at the end so I wasn't sure. That'd make sense then.

If not a direct sequel I wouldn't mind seeing other games set in the NitW universe, it seems like there's still a bit more stuff they could explore. You could probably make a decent animated miniseries/movie out of this too if you wanted. At the very least I'd like to see another project from the same developers even if it's something unrelated.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 12, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Bea and Gregg hangouts are the only ones that advance the day

So does the Angus hangout later in the game but that's the only non-Bea/Gregg one that counts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

So I finished this and it looks like on Switch at least it deletes your save? My only option is new game now. Not that there's any real reason to stick around but going through this thread it sounds like there were a few things I missed in the epilogue, and I kinda wanted to thumb through the journal again.

No, it does that for every version. Only way to see the stuff you missed is to play through the whole game again, which is kind of stupid I'll admit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

boner confessor posted:

yeah if i have any complaints about this game its that it has a deliberately slow pace and is clunky in terms of revisiting content. i want to do another playthrough to see what i missed but i did bea the first time and i dont want to invest another eight hours of jumping just to fill in the gaps

It might have been nice if it unlocked like a chapter select or something after finishing the game once so you don't have to replay the entire story just to see one or two new things.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Dream sequences aren't bad. There's jumping but you're guided pretty quickly to the musicians. Everything pre-Harfest though... if you've done it once thoroughly it can get to be a bit much.

While if you don't know what you're doing it can be pretty easy to get lost the dreams were ok for the most part, I just wish there was a bit more variety to them (like in the first one where you were smashing stuff up with a bat or the last one where you met CatGod) as the majority of the ones in between were pretty much exactly the same only with increasingly more complex layouts.

All the same, they're probably my least favorite part of the game to be honest (though they are pretty neat visually), some of the minigames on the Gregg path are up there as well.

Also, while a chapter select might have defeated the point it might have been nice at least if they gave you the option to play some of the minigames again from the title screen (such as Demontower and the Gregg knife fight).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Feb 23, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The acorns mean nothing as far as I know (same goes for the yarn ball you can play with next to the subway), as for the other question I think there's a red bird reading a newspaper there you can talk to through the window in the Weird Autumn version (though I could be thinking of a different building).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 6, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

mary had a little clam posted:

I'm talking about the apartment inside the window you can enter where you can hide in the closet and you examine their fridge a bunch

Oh. In that case no, I don't believe so.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but I kind of like the theory someone proposed earlier that the characters are not actually animals, that's just the way that Mae perceives the world because of her disassociation (it's either that or there's some weird Goofy/Pluto type thing going on in this world, Mae does mention wanting to own a cat in one of the optional dialogues).

The only direct references to them being animals I can see are the yarn ball in the little stand next to the underground tunnel and I think Mae mentions coughing up a hairball at one point (though apparently there were a lot more references/jokes about it in the original draft of the script).

All the same, even if it's not a sequel I would like to see another game similar to this by the same developers one day. Hell, this game's plot probably would make for a decent animated miniseries/movie if they wanted.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 3, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

That was great (in both animation and voice acting) though it makes me sad there's not more of it. Night in the Woods would actually make a pretty good animated series/movie if handled properly come to think of it.

I'd also like another game (or something similar by the same developers) at some point. It wouldn't even have to necessarily involve all the same characters to be honest, just make a game in the same universe featuring a brand new cast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

AbstractNapper posted:

There was supposed to be a backer reward for four (I think) official animated shorts (about 1 minute each) that would tell a prequel story to the one in the game. Those were to be released before the main game. First to the backers, then edited together publicly.

Only one came out before game's release; it was ok. I don't think it had voice acting, just music. It was mostly about Gregg and Angus, but iirc and in hindsight it sort of indicated that the events would be about Mae's "incident".

I think post-game release, they said that Benson was still working on them, but that was quite a while ago. The team is still providing semi-regular updates but they don't seem to mention those anymore.

Is the one they did release still available anywhere? This is the first I've heard of these.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah too bad but good to know they haven't abandoned the project. Speaking of which, have the devs behind NitW done anything significant since the game launched? Like I've said before, I'd really like to see another project from them one day even if it's not a sequel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah, I'd forgotten how recently the game had actually come out. Nevermind that point then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There are also optional hangouts that don't count towards completion of that particular day but are worth doing anyway. Off the top of my head there's a few with Germ and Lori, star hunting with Mr. Chazokov, one with Mae's mom and another with some random teacher guy I forget the name of.

Also I find it weird that the game won't let you do all 3 ghost hunting hangouts at the end (but if I had to choose I would highly recommend the Bea and Angus ones), some of the dream sequences can be tedious as well (the first one was fun and walking to the well and meeting Cat God was at least atmospheric so why are all the others exactly the same thing but with slightly more complex layouts?). I would also endorse checking out some of the other games in the extras section (especially Lost Constellation). They're both canon prequels and are directly referenced in the main story.

But it's still a great game and I'd honestly like to see more one day (I've heard the creator is apparently working on a new project currently but it'll probably be next year before we hear any details about it).

A few things I recently learned: alternating between Bea and Greg will typically get you the Bea ending (the library apparently counts as a Bea hangout despite the game forcing you to go there), also Lori and Chazokov have different introductory dialogue if you wait a few days before talking to them for the first time and you can actually skip the fight between Mae and her mom by just not talking to her that particular day. Amusingly there's an achievement you can get for just not playing at all during any of the song sections.

Finally some achievement related questions: What food combinations create the perfect dinner when you're doing the hangout where you visit Bea's house? Also, one of the trophies mentions stepping on a cockroach, what hangout can that be found in?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Oct 17, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wounds, Proximity, and the Angus hangout are some of the best sequences in the game in my opinion (or at least, some of the more emotionally charged ones at least). I'd also recommend visiting Germ's family when given the option as it develops his character a bit more and provides a nice bit of foreshadowing for later. I kind of wish they'd done more with Lori though as she probably has the sharpest contrast between how she acts around Mae at the beginning and what their relationship is like by the end.

I didn't expect going in that this game staring cartoon animals would make me feel things but there you go. I've said it before but while the game stands well enough on its own I wouldn't mind a sequel one day either. It doesn't even need to be a direct continuation for that matter, just go the Life is Strange route and put it in the same universe but with a brand new cast and setting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

vetinari100 posted:

The library doesn't count. The ending depends on who you go out with on 2 out of 3 hangouts (mall/crimes, house call/mechanics, dinner/wounds).

This is from the first day. When you're poking the arm with a stick, there's a cockroach you can squash.

Huh, for some reason I never thought about trying to interact with it before. Speaking of the arm, there's this weird thing in my recent playthroughs where the tattoo on the wrist is fully exposed but for some reason none of the gang will comment on it, does the arm need to be in a certain position or something?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

On the 4 standard hangouts, the Bea route is better, except for wounds with Gregg being better than dinner with Bea.

I think the ghost hunting is the hardest decision about which one to exclude. All three are fantastic.

Yeah they really should have let you do all three to be honest but if I had to choose I'd go with Bea and Angus (I personally found the Gregg one a little tedious at times). Wounds is mostly worth it for the the conversation with Gregg at the very end (Legends is ok as well but Proximity is the better choice overall).

Honestly I consider the Bea route to be the "canon" path through the game as that's where a good chunk of the character development takes place and well, let's face it, those two need each other. With Gregg he already had an established relationship with Mae that hadn't been damaged previously and as Legends sort of points out, they generally wind up dragging each other down more than anything. Angus needs Gregg way more than Mae does (Gregg did basically save his life after all).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 18, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the general themes of the game seem pretty universal to me. Plus, games like Life is Strange and the like seem to have done pretty well over there as far as I can tell so I don't think there will be any issue with Night in the Woods.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Wow they announced an anime adaption, check it out:

https://twitter.com/rockosedits/status/1052785615958355969

Seriously though, Night in the Woods could actually make a pretty good animated series/movie if done right. Only problem is you'd have to change some things regarding how the plot is structured and you might lose something from the experience by giving the characters an official voice. I'd still watch it though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lori is one of the better side characters, yes (not to mention she also has the most extreme reaction to seeing Mae at the church later out of anyone there). I kind of wish they'd done a little more with her to be honest.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, while the problem is never really solved (the town is still dying, Mae needs clinical help that her family probably can't afford, Bea is still being crushed by the weight of her responsibilities and both of them will eventually have to deal with Gregg and Angus moving away) I do like how the ending does still grant the characters a bit of happiness in the short term (Mae made some new friends, rekindled her relationship with her old ones and came out of her shell a bit by the end, that's progress at any rate).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 19, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The cult does at least fit into one of the main themes of the game at any rate (the real antagonist is Capitalism). There is also a slight supernatural element present thoughout but due to the way it's handled most of it can be written off as being primarily in Mae's head. I'm not saying I wanted a happy ending or anything (the game's own plot sort of prevents that anyway) but I'm glad it wasn't super dark and gloomy either.

As for Mae/Bea I could honestly see that going either way (Mae is at least bisexual if Proximity is to be taken at face value) but to be honest I see it as more of a familial relationship personally (they're just really close friends who make up for what the other lacks). They clearly need each other but there doesn't necessarily have to be anything romantic about it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mae's primary issues were separate from the cult (as I recall, it wasn't until after Harfest that she really started hearing the Black Goat herself), but they did make things a bit worse for her though. Plus, it's not like her problems just magically disappeared at the end so their inclusion didn't really bother me that much.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

you got me there :hmmyes:

I've seen people argue that the derealization is due to the black goat's influence and Mae being ~chosen~ and honestly the text doesn't really disprove it? I guess that's what I mean by the developers not being clear on it because you could very well interpret it either way, making it about mental health or magical destiny

Fair, but I still choose to see it as two separate issues (Mae mentions during her confession that this all started when one day something just broke inside of her, also the fact that her mental issues don't just disappear once the cult is taken care of at the end). Ironically though, despite all that happened dropping out of school and moving back home may have actually saved Mae's life in the long term (she has a stronger support system backing her up now at the very least and she's also opened up a bit more). She still needs professional help of course (and not from some quack who tells her to just repress everything) but there's been some definite progress at any rate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There is some evidence of the supernatural (like how the cult member Mae saw at Harfest was able to get away without leaving a single trace, the Black Goat itself, and also potentially the weird Janitor who may or may not have been an avatar of God) but it's also important to note that most of it only seems to happen around Mae which might imply that some of it (the dreams at least) may just be a product of her subconscious and nothing more.

I still don't think the Black Goat is entirely to blame for Mae's problems but it didn't help either (Mae is almost completely broken in body, mind and spirit by the time they officially meet up with the cult but still somehow manages to pull herself together by the very end).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 20, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

User0015 posted:

The only real super natural aspect is the question of what a God is. The three characters that symbolize it are there caring but absent janitor, the present but uncaring cat god in maes dreams, and the present but hungry God of capitalism, that needs the sacrifice of the younger generation.

Why Mae in particular is encountering these three is left unexplained. If it has something to do with her disassociation, it wasn't clear.

Janitor is at least real as he has a brief exchange with Mae's parents and Pastor K later in the game, CatGod is up for debate as it only appears once in Mae's dreams (though it does hint at some stuff she wouldn't end up learning about until later) as is the Black Goat as one of the cultists does mention one of their members gaining powers because of it (which would explain how the one Mae saw at Harfest was able to get away without a trace) and they do admit to having the save visions that Mae does.

Not entirely sure what she has in common with a group of terrible old men who ritually sacrifice children because they've somehow convinced themselves it's "saving" the town though. Also Mae's goat neighbor (Mr. Twiddlemyer or something like that) was totally one of the cultists right? Something he says at the church after Mae gets shot at kind of hints in that direction anyway and we never see him again afterwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zerilan posted:

She cares about the town and town's traditions more than most of the characters. She loves Harfest and is bothered that someone messed up the mural. She's troubled by the town's changes during the short time she was away because she needs that sense of familiarity. The idea of "saving the town" would appeal to her more than to her peers, and she's someone who was literally called "killer" by people after a violent act.

Fair point (and even after the whole cult business she even admits that she kind of understands where they're coming from). She's better than them of course but they are kind of on the same wavelength as far as the town goes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'd still kind of like to see a Night in the Woods 2 one day but I agree that the current story is pretty neatly wrapped up by the end and doesn't really need to be expanded on any further (hell, said hypothetical sequel doesn't even have to feature the same cast for that matter). I just like this particular universe they've crafted and wouldn't mind seeing more of it.

If it does feature the same characters though I would recommend giving Germ and especially Lori main character status and giving us more Angus hangouts.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, for example the Life is Strange series shares more than a few common themes with this game even if the primary focus isn't the same and kind of has the same blend of literal and allegorical commentary to an extent (while I love both games I personally think Night in the Woods handles some of those themes a little better overall though).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mae's neighbor who you can talk to around the beginning of the game (I believe he only shows up twice in the whole game, once there and another later at the hospital). Angry old alligator man is another possibility as far as the cult goes but he's also pretty big and it'd be kind of hard to hide a snout like that.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mae's parents are apparently named Stan and Candy Borowski though I don't remember if those names are ever actually mentioned in the game itself.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Huh, looking at these playthroughs I just learned that if you skip talking to people you actually get new dialogue and sometimes even the dialogue from the day before + the current day :aaa:

I'm wondering, can you do stuff like befriend Lori and raise the miracle rats even if you skip some days before meeting them?

As long as you don't wait too long I think it's possible. Actually Lori (and Mr. Chazokov for that matter) have slightly different introductory dialogue if you hold off a little while before talking to them for the first time. It's also possible to skip the fight between Mae and her mom entirely if you just don't talk to her that particular morning.

Finally, if you deliberately fail enough times it's actually possible to do the Mall segment without Mae actually stealing anything (she still convinces Bea to steal afterwards and the rest plays out like normal from there but you do get a different conversation out of it at least).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've actually done a playthrough where I just did the Bea and/or Gregg hangouts and ignored everything else as much as possible. The game's actually fairly short if you just go through the motions and don't really explore/talk to people that much (in other words, if you ignore the core concept of the game).

Also I'm not sure if it's even possible to do both the Bea and Gregg hangouts during the ghost hunting section so if you're swapping back and forth between them you're going to have to do the Angus one eventually (also if you just swap between the two as you go through the game the ending you get will typically be with the character you started from).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If there's ever a Night in the Woods 2 it should feature more than two "main" hangout choices. Also should said sequel feature the same cast (which isn't really necessary to be honest) there should be more Angus hangouts and Lori should be a main character (I just thought she was interesting and the relationship with her and Mae changes pretty drastically as the game goes on). She goes from calling Mae "Killer" and kind of being a bit closed off to her to just sobbing and praying for her safety when Mae's in the hospital later on (Mae even invites her to dinner during the epilogue).

Some sort of fast travel system would be nice too but it's not necessary. The dream sequences should be a bit more varied too as "find the musicians" got tedious real fast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Prequel huh? I'm kind of curious what that's going to entail and when it takes place (Lost Constellation and Longest Night are technically already prequels in a sense). But hey, either way there's a new NitW game coming out eventually so I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

I'm not sure I like the idea of a prequel. I feel like we learned everything we needed to know about their past through the conversations held in Night in the Woods. We already learned everything we need to know about Mae and her three friends and I'm skeptical that another game based around them would do anything to enhance our experiences with them. I think it would cheapen it.

Don't get me wrong. Whatever they put out, I'm gonna buy it and play it. I'd just rather see them make a new game in the same style that focuses on other characters. Wouldn't even need to take place in Possum Springs.

Yeah, a game with a new cast set in the same universe probably would have been better in this case (also they'd probably have to put it really far in the past in order to not step on the original's toes that much). To be fair though, we don't know for sure if Mae is even going to be the main character this time around as it could take place before the original but still focus on somebody else. But regardless I'm still curious about what they've got planned and hopefully it'll turn out decent.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Another possibility could be seeing what Bea, Gregg and Angus were up to while Mae was at college. Hell, you could probably still do a game about one of the side characters like Germ or Lori even if it is a prequel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Question is, would Bea or Gregg make the better player character in that case? The former has a bit more going on with her which could be mined for drama but Gregg would probably make a little more sense if you wanted gameplay simillar to the original (Bea has way too much on her plate to just be wandering around town on a daily basis).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 27, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Actually, playing as Casey is the way you make it work. He's a cat, so he can jump around and explore like Mae does. You would be able to interact with the main gang and have it make sense. He's the character that would stand the best to be able to explore his character and tell his story. The game would have to have a tragic end, but I think it could work really well. I think if there's a prequel story to be told in Possum Springs, it's Casey's.

That actually works better honestly, it wouldn't have a happy ending of course but I'd be interested in seeing more of what Casey was really like (all we really have to go on from the first game is a missing poster and word of mouth).

Your Computer posted:

From that post:

If it ends up being about that, I really wonder how they'll do it without it being kinda... Eh. Like someone else said, I think they really have told everything that needs to be told and it's weird to make a prequel.

What does it mean that it's a Kickstarter backer game? I didn't back the game because I had no idea it even existed so I hope it doesn't mean it's exclusive to backers.

Oh, if it's just another supplemental game that's slightly less interesting. Hopefully it'll be made available to non-backers at least though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I honestly would have preferred a full fledged game and we don't really need to know any more about the Accident as Mae described it pretty well in the first game.

But if it's about as long as Lost Constellation if not longer that might be ok. Hopefully this will be decent regardless though.