Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Something about Mae's grandfather could be neat (if you listen to Miss Rosa's stories you learn that he was a bit of a hellraiser too back in the day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So has there been any further word on that prequel game they were talking about little while back? Though as I understand it it's probably going to be more like a supplemental game ala Longest Night and Lost Constellation rather than a full fledged thing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, has there been any further word yet on that supposed prequel they talked about a little while back (though from what I hear it's mostly going to be a supplementary thing ala Lost Constellation and Longest Night as opposed to a full fledged game)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ineffiable posted:

Well this has been some seriously crazy times. Has any other game had this level of drama behind it?

It's gonna be tough to enjoy NITW in the future. I really truly enjoyed it and I had some feelings about the themes and social interactions in the game.

To be fair, the only involvement Alec had with the game was the music. Still sucks though as there were a lot of really good tracks on there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

He coded the dang thing

Ah, nevermind then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In my opinion the game is still good despite recent events, you just have to kind of try to separate the two as much as you can (and this wouldn’t be the first time I’ve enjoyed someone’s work despite them being kind of lovely on a personal level).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

gregg's stuff is good but bea's entire arc is a much better fit for what the game is about

That’s kind of why I consider Bea’s route to be the “canon”’ path through the game. Nothing is wrong with Mae and Gregg’s relationship but it’s established early on that she and Bea have kind of grown apart as of late.

Seeing two former friends gradually reconnect over time just seems to make more narrative sense to me.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Honestly the game should have had more Angus hangouts. Lori was also a really good character that should have played a somewhat bigger role in my opinion.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crazy Ferret posted:

Agreed. Especially considering I feel like it is hinting that she is the next one the Black Goat is whispering too.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

You can also hang out with Germ a few times as well (including a visit to his house), there’s also one hangout with Mae’s mom, a treasure hunting expedition with some random teacher guy, and a dog lady named Miss Rosa who appears sporadically by the pretzel stand and tells stories about Mae’s grandfather (she’s also heavily implied to be Mae’s paternal grandmother as well).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Master Twig posted:

There's a lot of extra stuff. My biggest recommendation to anyone playing this game for the first time is to explore everywhere and talk to everyone you can every day. Always talk to Bea and Gregg LAST, and if you think you have more to look at, always decline their offer to hang out. Otherwise you can miss a lot of great content.

A lot of that was added by the Weird Autumn patch (as well as a few extra NPCs, at least two new songs and the ability to play the bass in Mae's room).

But yeah, with the exception of the Angus one Bea and Gregg are the only hangouts that actually advance the plot (and for some reason it only lets you do two of the ghost hunting hangouts at the end despite the story mentioning all three) so as mentioned they should be the last people you visit if you want to see everything the game has to offer. Also the exploration factor is the entire point of the game.

The two supplementary games released beforehand (which are also included with the Weird Autumn edition) are worth playing as well. Longest Night isn't much to speak of (it's mostly just a longer version of the constellation minigame with Mr. Chazokov) but Lost Constellation is basically a full fledged prequel in and of itself (it's not quite as long of course but it does feel more like a complete game). Both games are directly referenced in Night in the Woods proper.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 3, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I just started a new playthrough myself and it still holds up in spite of recent events, you just kind of have to disassociate yourself from the behind the scenes stuff as much as you can and just enjoy the game on its own merits.

All that aside, I do wish there was a way to skip the dream sequences if you wanted as aside from the first one and Catgod they’re all kind of tedious and repetitive (find x number of musicians in increasingly more complex platforming stages and then make your way back to the start). I have found that you can at least skip the DDR segments entirely simply by pressing whatever passes for the start button on your version though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incelshok Na posted:

1 4 1 1 4 2 1

What?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kazy posted:

Has there been any news on the physical version of this game?

Unfortunately due to the controversy/death involving one of the guys that worked on the game it doesn’t seem likely they’re going to do much of anything with it now (we can probably kiss that supplemental game they were talking about a while back goodbye as well along with any hope of a sequel). I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

They announced a new project in June bug it's not NitW related.

Definitely feels like they want to leave NitW alone given everything, yeah.

I hadn’t heard about that, do we know anything about this new project yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Incelshok Na posted:

I hadn't heard about this, what happened? I'm guessing a sad mentally unwell person checked out because that would certainly be on-brand for what was presented in the game.

Here’s the short version at least:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alec_Holowka

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, a lot of choice based games still have some degree of railroading to keep the main plot going. The only exception I can think of is Detroit: Become Human where your choices can literally change major aspects of the story (or in some cases, outright remove certain aspects all together).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kind of wish there was a way to skip some of the dream sequences like you can the rhythm ones though (just press whatever passes for the start button on your console of choice).

The first and last dreams are neat but everything else is basically the same thing (find like 4-5 musicians in a series of increasingly complex areas and then return to the starting point), it just would have been nice if they were a bit more unique as it’s honestly the most tedious part of the game in my opinion.

Speaking of, is there any trick to completing the rhythm sections? As currently I don’t think I have the reflexes to ever do them successfully.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since this thread got bumped I forget, do any of the creators of this game have any other projects currently in the works?

Given the recent drama surrounding it we’re likely not going to get any further Night in the Woods related content in the future at least (unfortunately). I believe the planned bonus thing they announced a long while back is dead now too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hilario Baldness posted:

I hope they give us a spiritual successor to NITW periodically. It was such a unique and moving game that weaved humor, drama, and Cthlulhu mythos incredibly well.

I think the creators have a new project in the works but to my knowledge there haven’t been any details yet.

But yeah, while a literal sequel is probably out of the question at this point given everything it would be nice if we got a game that was at least spiritually similar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, the one issue I have with the game is that with the exception of the first and last one all the dream sequences were pretty much the same (find musicians in increasingly complex platforming areas and then return to the start).

I wish there was a bit more variation or at the very least you could just skip them like you can with the rhythm sections (just press whatever passes for the start button on your platform of choice when the song starts).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I made Mae a terrible bassplayer on purpose. My failures had nothing to do with the rhythm sections being literally impossible to get correct.

Is there a particular trick to those? Because I’ve played the game multiple times now and those sections seem too fast/complex for normal humans to keep up with (or maybe I just suck at rhythm games).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Years of training in Guitar Hero and Rock Band certainly helped.

Also holding the keyboard like this:

How about those of us who are playing the game on a console then?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m playing on PS4 so that’s not really an option for me

Acebuckeye13 posted:

unfortunately not even god can help you

So it’s basically impossible without a keyboard, good to know that I will never achieve 100% completion in terms of achievements in that game then (though I don’t care too much about that anyway).

Speaking of achievements, what do you need to buy in order to make the perfect meal in the Dinner With Bea segment?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I actually did mess up that one purpose because it would be what Mae would do.

She even says beforehand that she’s out of practice and doesn’t know the song, I’m choosing to believe that messing up during the performance is canon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

It is. Benson says he intentionally wrote it that way so your performance doesn't matter, because Mae is canonically terrible at bass.

Makes sense honestly. Since I’m likely never going to see it, what do Mae and the others say if you do well/perfectly at the rhythm sections?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alhazred posted:

I meant the food. I deliberately picked random stuff because it seemed like the Mae thing to do.

Oh ok, I was just curious what the “correct” combination of items was.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On a similar note, has there been any further word regarding the creators’ next project recently? I know they showed a preview image a while back but haven’t heard much since then (pretty sure the possibility of a NitW sequel or that planned DLC prequel they were talking about before the whole scandal with the composer broke is pretty much dead in the water at this point anyway)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Looks cool (and though it’s probably not connected to NITW I definitely spotted some references in there). Based on the description it takes place in 1919 and stars a cat named Twigs.

Do we know what platform(s) this is being released on?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

repiv posted:

so far it's only confirmed for the PS4 and PS5, but i don't think they specifically said its exclusive to playstation

Works for me, I assume we don’t have a release date yet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

More info:

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/05/24/welcome-to-revenant-hill-where-your-journey-to-become-a-witchs-familiar-begins/

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What are the odds this ultimately turns out to be a stealth NITW prequel (judging by the teaser I’m only partially kidding)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nichael posted:

It seems like it is a prequel honestly.

There are humans around in this one it seems but it also takes place about 100+ years prior to the events of the first game. The plot seems to involve a cat trying to become a witch’s familiar so if it is connected maybe it’s about how animals took over the world in this universe.

In any case, I hope they manage to retain if not surpass the humor, charm and pathos of NITW. Also if it’s getting a PS4 release then hopefully it’ll be out sometime later this year

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hope Twigs will be just as entertaining as Mae was (also, do we know if they’re a boy or a girl yet?)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Palmtree Panic posted:

The PlayStation blog post you linked to earlier refers to Twigs as "he"

Very excited for this. Night in the Woods was a phenomenal experience.

Ah, I just checked and didn’t see a specific gender mentioned but I could have overlooked something. Thanks

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if they decided to tie this back into Night in the Woods somehow but either way I’m really looking forward to this and hope we get a release date soon (as I said, it probably can’t be that far in the future if it’s also getting a PS4 version)

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well the game’s set in 1919 so unless it specifically says otherwise there’s no indication at the moment that it CAN’T take place in the same universe either. Either way I’ll be curious to see where the story ultimately goes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regardless of whether it turns out to be a direct prequel or merely a spiritual successor I’m just happy to finally be getting a new NitW esque game again (I was kind of worried about its future after the whole Alec debacle and the planned side story mentioned a while back getting cancelled)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Damnit, I was looking forward to this too. Hopefully they make a quick recovery and these guys can get another project off the ground someday though